• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 6/4 - 6/10

Jokeropia

LanceStern said:
Sonic, Big Brain Academy, Dragon ball, Madden, Call of Duty etc. They started off very strong, but have been or are showing drastic signs of stagnation. They level off at 250,000 ; 200,000; 150,000 in the US and are done.
Wait, are you talking about US only, Japan only or worldwide here? Sonic has never been big in Japan but is doing decently in the US and quite well in Europe, Big Brain Academy is doing well in Japan (156,154 as of May 27 according to Famitsu, likely 175k by now at least) but hasn't been out long enough anywhere else for any numbers to be released, Dragonball Z has done decently (~140-150k) in all three territories making half a million lifetime a clear possibility, Madden did ok in the US which is the only place where the franchise sells, Call of Duty is well past 200k in the US and easily beat the PS3 version etc.

Rock_Man said:
MK DS is currently selling ~50 % better than last year! Very very unusual actually.

mk.png

This Graph is enough to make me say GULP 10 times. I mean, the game has the possibility to do better then last year. "Crazy" is not the right word to describe this situation.

I was just thinking that Nintendo has slowed donw a little bit their rate of development and the meaning stay is these charts: old games continue to sell well even after years and there is no need to introduce new big games.

If the tendence continues, I don't think that the core gamer will have more games the the end of the lifecycle then the rest of other systems; even if the Wii and DS are a lot more successfull then other consoles.

If this means less games and more quality I could accept it. But if this mean lazyness.... I predict bad times for the hardcore...

I'm done having long, drawn out arguments guys.. you're going to have to find some other person with a different opinion to debate with.

But sardonyx... I think that's what your SN is, I can see your side slightly, just trying to get an understanding here.

edit: Sorry, the SN is Saitou

1) Back then, videogames weren't REALLY mainstream (as in, all ages are now playing because fo touch generation)
2) Now with new gamers coming in, mothers, fathers, grandmas etc., they might be willing to try a new game. What better way to start than with a franchise they've heard of (Dragon Quest) and is popular, they just never tried earlier because of controllers being to complicated.
3) Because of waggle, it makes it easier for them to play the game and enjoy it... So they spread word of mouth to their friends and more buy it. Add that added fanbase to the Wii owners that already were going to buy the title, the kids that pick up a Wii because they WANT the title, and casuals that snap it up because everyone else has it and presto,

You could have a million seller. It's quite unpredictable these days. But I'm going to stick to my original 3 point message. This is just my way of understanding your side.

Is this what you were thinking? Or am I off?

LanceStern said:
So you're telling me that the same game, is going to sell twice as much on a system where 3rd party games don't sell? With only 2 million userbase compared to how many people having TVs?

Oh FFS!!

Just for reference what was the first DS 3rd party title to clear 500,000 copies in a single territory?

Because Nintendo's 1st parties are such a large draw, they will always cannibalize the inital sales period. Once the userbase gets larger, then you see the software sales get more diverse.

This year for the DS for example has been great for third parties with even new IPs like Professor Layton hitting the jack pot. But it takes time for the userbase to get there, it doesn't happen overnight.

soundwave05 said:
Just for reference what was the first DS 3rd party title to clear 500,000 copies in a single territory?

Because Nintendo's 1st parties are such a large draw, they will always cannibalize the inital sales period. Once the userbase gets larger, then you see the software sales get more diverse.

This year for the DS for example has been great for third parties with even new IPs like Professor Layton hitting the jack pot. But it takes time for the userbase to get there, it doesn't happen overnight.

Tamagotchi for the DS.

And Rocky with the Yoshi Avatar. I apologize because that was worded possibly offensive, and I'll change it. But if you look at the numbers, it is a true statement.

edit: Sorry, the SN is RiskyChris

LanceStern said:
Tamagotchi for the DS.

And Rocky with the Yoshi Avatar. I apologize because that was worded possibly offensive, and I'll change it. But if you look at the numbers, it is a true statement.

And Tamagotchi was definitely not in the launch period, the DS userbase was well past 3 million when that came out.

The Wii already has games like Red Steel and Rayman which have shipped past 1 million copies WW as well which isn't too shabby given I don't feel either game is that great.

Third parties have to shoulder a lot of the blame here themselves too ... how many of them are really honestly providing a great product? The old "Nintendo holds us back!" schtick 3rd parties used during the SNES days might have been true then, but nowadays they have no excuses. They have to fulfill their side of the bargain and bring out a good product too -- an no, a quickie port job of a 2-year-old game (no matter how good the original was) isn't what I'm talking about.

LanceStern said:
I'm done having long, drawn out arguments guys.. you're going to have to find some other person with a different opinion to debate with.

But sardonyx... I think that's what your SN is, I can see your side slightly, just trying to get an understanding here.

1) Back then, videogames weren't REALLY mainstream (as in, all ages are now playing because fo touch generation)
2) Now with new gamers coming in, mothers, fathers, grandmas etc., they might be willing to try a new game. What better way to start than with a franchise they've heard of (Dragon Quest) and is popular, they just never tried earlier because of controllers being to complicated.
3) Because of waggle, it makes it easier for them to play the game and enjoy it... So they spread word of mouth to their friends and more buy it. Add that added fanbase to the Wii owners that already were going to buy the title, the kids that pick up a Wii because they WANT the title, and casuals that snap it up because everyone else has it and presto,

You could have a million seller. It's quite unpredictable these days. But I'm going to stick to my original 3 point message. This is just my way of understanding your side.

Is this what you were thinking? Or am I off?
Not this shit again. For three months the MC threads were mostly ok, but here you are again.

Saitou

Banned
LanceStern said:
Tamagotchi for the DS.

Passing opinion for fact again? Isn't that what got you banned last time?

NEWS FLASH: You don't decide what 'good sales' are. Publishers do. Guess what? They're still publishin' aplenty for the Wii.

bmf said:
Not this shit again. For three months the MC threads were mostly ok, but here you are again.

The message you quoted was me agreeing with Saitou. I will leave.

soundwave, I think it's best I log off... The next few to hit 500k were Final Fantasy III, Tamagotchi 2, Love and Berry, Kanji Quiz, Dragon Quest Monsters.

But in the US, there has not been one yet.

LanceStern said:
Tamagotchi for the DS.

edit: Sorry, the SN is RiskyChris

It's way too early in a console's lifetime to say whether or not 3rd party software sells. You can't base it on N64/GCN performance because those consoles were not market leaders.

Next week XBox 360 will outsell PS3, that will be a thread of epic proportions. Ithink X360 will sell around 25k, and PS3 around 15 (probably below).

Why did DS get into PlayStation top 3 again?

LanceStern said:
The message you quoted was me agreeing with Saitou. I will leave.

soundwave, I think it's best I log off... The next few to hit 500k were Final Fantasy III, Tamagotchi 2, Love and Berry, Kanji Quiz, Dragon Quest Monsters.

But in the US, there has not been one yet.

Do we actually have any accurate figures for the US to enable us to say what third-party games have sold what?

LanceStern said:
Chocobo I have no faith in. It couldn't even do well with DS's booming popularity
I think it makes more sense to compare it to other Mysterious Dungeon games, especially the previous Chocobo ones, than a different Chocobo game on the DS.
So I said the franchise names aren't enough to sell Wii titles up to a million. I just worded it differently. The popular franchises on the Wii just aren't selling like they used to, which is understandable at this time but still a true statement.
Zelda sold worse. Fire Emblem sold the same. Paper Mario sold better. It's not a bankable trend one way or the other.
I say that to justify my reasoning that Dragon Quest (a popular franchise in it's own right) is not a big enough name to debunk the current trend of Wii titles.
Outside of Nintendo franchises, they don't come any bigger than Dragon Quest in Japan.
Mithos Yggdrasil said:
If this means less games and more quality I could accept it. But if this mean lazyness.... I predict bad times for the hardcore...
If it means laziness as in lessening game quality, they won't sell for 2 years after release.

31./31. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd (Capcom)
32./32. [NDS] Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis (Nintendo)
33./34. [NDS] Pokémon Diamond (Pokemon)
34./41. [NDS] Lucky Star Moé Drill: Travel (Kadokawa Shoten)
35./23. [NDS] Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings (Square-Enix)
36./24. [PSP] Bleach: Heat the Soul 4 (Sony)
37./40. [NDS] Pokémon Pearl (Pokemon)
38./38. [NDS] Dragon Quest Monsters Joker (Square-Enix)
39./36. [NDS] Kanji Test (Rocket Co.)
40./19. [NDS] Simple DS Series, Vol. 15: THE Police Investigator 2: Eight New Cases (D3 Publisher)
41./39. [NDS] Word Puzzle Mojipittan DS (Bandai-Namco)
42./45. [NDS] Tetris DS (Nintendo)
43./35. [WII] Wario Ware Smooth Moves (Nintendo)
44./00. [NDS] Suujin Taisen (Nintendo)
45./00. [PS2] Magician's Academy (Enterbrain)
46./00. [NDS] Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (Disney Interactive)
47./46. [NDS] Big Brain Academy (Nintendo)
48./29. [PS2] Shining Wind (Sega)
49./00. [WII] Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (Disney Interactive)
50./00. [NDS] DS Kageyama Method Electronic Kanji Drills (Shogakukan)

NDS - 34
WII - 8
PSP - 5
PS2 - 3

hardware.gif

Code:
Hardware - This Week | Last Week |       YTD |        LTD
1. NDS   -   117,228 |   123,211 | 3,531,436 | 17,537,115
2. WII   -    64,529 |    69,748 | 1,749,830 |  2,669,473
3. PSP   -    24,711 |    26,358 |   978,499 |  5,510,628
4. PS2   -    11,097 |    11,814 |   380,121 | 20,534,980
5. PS3   -     8,776 |     8,998 |   461,955 |    919,513
6. 360   -     2,533 |     2,219 |   104,477 |    369,179
7. GBA   -       799 |       573 |    38,951 | 15,337,030
8. NGC   -       167 |       226 |     8,003 |  4,177,471
GBA = 16 GBA + 302 SP + 481 Micro
NDS = 35 DS + 117,193 Lite

s_20070604.png

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Hardware - This Week | Last Week | YTD | LTD
2. WII - 64,529 | 69,748 | 1,749,830 | 2,669,473
5. PS3 - 8,776 | 8,998 | 461,955 | 919,513
6. 360 - 2,533 | 2,219 | 104,477 | 369,179

This is just slaughter.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
World wide LTD estimates- (good data for everywhere except Europe)

360- 9.35M

Wii- 7.9M

PS3- 3.4M

One note- PS3 sales are pretty close- we have good Europe data because of their P.R. Decent for Wii- have numbers up until March. Complete guess on 360- I could be off, but I tried to be relatively realistic (about 3M for PAL regions).

schuelma

8 Wii games in the top 50? Seems like the most I've seen in a long time, like since launch period? Is that correct?

Cruceh

Banned
schuelma said:
World wide LTD estimates- (good data for everywhere except Europe)

360- 9.35M

Wii- 7.9M

PS3- 3.4M

One note- PS3 sales are pretty close- we have good Europe data because of their P.R. Decent for Wii- have numbers up until March. Complete guess on 360- I could be off, but I tried to be relatively realistic (about 3M for PAL regions).
The 360 has been stuck at 9m for a really, really long time. I think I heard that number back in December.

schuelma

Cruceh said:
The 360 has been stuck at 9m for a really, really long time. I think I heard that number back in December.

Well, I keep downward adjusting Europe numbers after seeing snippets of data (like 360 selling 10K in a week in the U.K, or like seeing Wii almost catch it in France). I admit I could be off in Europe, but I doubt 360 is doing more than a 100K a month right now.

iamblades

PS3 is at least a couple hundred thousand behind gamecube's pace now.

ouch.

Anyone have an accurate up to date comparison of PS3 vs GC at the same time period? Want to see just how far off the pace PS3 is.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Cruceh said:

That tends to happen when you ship 10 million consoles and flood the market to brag that you "sold" 10 million consoles.

Just like how Sony flooded the marked with the PSP until Retailers threatened to discount the console.

Vinnk

vinnksvillagemed.jpg

"Vinnk's Village" Anecdotal Report

Here again is a report from my town.

This week I was asked to look for: Wii, DS lite, RE4, Ninja Gaiden Sigma and Trusty Bell. I went Thursday June 14th, 2007:

Jusco
Wii: Sold Out
DS lite: 2
Eye Training: Sold Out
RE4: 2
Ninja Gaiden: 4
Trusty Bell: 2 (+1 bundle)

Youme Town
DS lite: 3
Eye Training: Sold Out
RE4: 2
Ninja Gaiden: 5
Trusty Bell: 2

Mr. Max
Wii: 1
Eye Training: Sold out
RE4: 1
Ninja Gaiden: 1
Trusty Bell: 0 (but it’s unknown if they ordered any)

Book-Net
DS lite: Sold out
Eye Training: 2
RE4: Sold Out
Ninja Gaiden: 2
Trusty Bell: 1 (+1 bundle)

Goody
DS lite: 4
Eye Training:
RE4: None
Ninja Gaiden: None
Trusty Bell: None

Best Denki
DS lite: 20
Eye Training: 3
RE4: 7
Ninja Gaiden: 6
Trusty Bell: 3 (+2 bundles)

Wanpaku
Wii: Sold out
Eye Training: 4
Ninja Gaiden: 7
Trusty Bell: Sold out

Famicom Dojo
DS lite: 1
Eye Training: 1
Ninja Gaiden: 1
Trusty Bell: Sold out (but they only had 1)

Yamada Denki
Wii: Sold out
DS lite: 2
Eye Training: 3
RE4: 1
Ninja Gaiden: 7
Trusty Bell: 2

TOTALS:
Wii: 3
DS lite:
Eye Training: 13
RE4: 13
Ninja Gaiden: 33
Trusty Bell: 10 (+4 bundles)

NOTES:

1. Wii is still very supply constrained. Any store that does have them doesn’t have them for long. I think I can copy and paste this statement until after Christmas.

2. DS lite is not hard to find this week. Most stores have them. This is the fourth week that I have seen the system readily available.

3. I did not count Ouendan 2 this week, but most stores that had them last week still had them. It seems they did reorder despite being skeptical of the title at first.

4. Biohazard 4 was sold out from the game specialty shops (but not the department stores) earlier this week. But Best Denki for some reason has new ones already. The other stores, I assume will be restocked soon (or are already).

5. The hardcore gamers in my town are going nuts about Trusty Bell. It is a main topic of discussion from the “game store lurkers” who hang out there all the time. One mentioned that he is finally going to bet a 360 for this and Blue Dragon. Another said he would re-buy the 360. He sold his after he beat Blue Dragon. But as has been shown countless times in the past, these Otaku Gamers make up a very small percent of the overall market. As expected the hardcore are snapping up Trusty Bell, the rest are ignoring it. It is sold out (or nearly sold out) at the gaming stores, but I would not be surprised if it hasn’t sold any at the department stores.

6. Ninja Gaiden is not supply constrained right now. However, like Trusty Bell, I have no idea what the initial shipment was and I went on the first day. More could have been sold in the evening.

7. Eye training is the opposite of Trusty Bell and RE4, the department stores are sold out and the gaming stores still have copies left. It might be like brain training 2 saw when it first came out. Casuals were going into game stores for the first time ever because they couldn’t find the games they wanted at “normal” stores. They always looked a bit frightened..

Previous Reports:

June 7th, 2007
May 30th, 2007
May 24th, 2007
May 17th, 2007
May 10th, 2007

schuelma

Thanks Vinnk. Interesting about RE4- perhaps it may have decent legs afterall?

Saitou

Banned
7. Eye training is the opposite of Trusty Bell and RE4, the department stores are sold out and the gaming stores still have copies left. It might be like brain training 2 saw when it first came out. Casuals were going into game stores for the first time ever because they couldn’t find the games they wanted at “normal” stores. They always looked a bit frightened..

Non-gamers shop at non-gaming stores.

Hcoregamer00 said:
Hardware - This Week | Last Week | YTD | LTD
2. WII - 64,529 | 69,748 | 1,749,830 | 2,669,473
5. PS3 - 8,776 | 8,998 | 461,955 | 919,513
6. 360 - 2,533 | 2,219 | 104,477 | 369,179

This is just slaughter.

Well you can't spell slaughter without laughter.
And if you can't laugh, what can you do?

Top Bottom