• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 6/4 - 6/10

JavyOO7

LanceStern said:
Almost none of those third party titles have broken even ONE-HUNDRED THousand, and most bomb horribly after an "ok" launch week anyways.

And most big name Wii titles cap at 500,000. What problem DON'T you see?

So big name Wii titles sell to a 4th of the userbase. That's not so bad.

Placing an arbitrary number on how many copies a title should sell is ridiculous. The only way to truly know that a title has exceeded the publisher's expectations is by looking at future support. Just take one quick gander at 3rd party support for the DS afterall. Not too many 3rd party pubs have had their titles sell over a M, but regardless, support for original titles and experienced titles are still coming to the wayside regardless...

loosus

Banned
Neo C. said:
He just doesn't get it. Over and over and over again. Even worse than soundwave05.
Nintendo fans have to be the most self-destructive people in the world. I wouldn't want to be near them when they start brainstorming Nintendo's next moves.

Hell, I'm convinced that soundwave05 has to be posting from a wheelchair by now.

The Sphinx said:
I don't see why that's a problem for a system with an installed base of 2.6 million in this territory. The success of Wii Sports and Wii Play warp people's expectations: They are anomalies, exceptional performers, and expecting other games to perform anywhere near that level is irrational.

Your right. And as much as I wanted to see Zelda do great numbers, for a launch it wasn't too bad, Wind waker came out much later in the consoles launch when the install base was larger. I am sure it's still around the bottom of the top 50, and will probably stay there for a while. May not even reach 600k in its lifetime, but hey shit happens, sometimes.

From experience on this board the people who dish out the personal insults are generally the ones that can't take it when it gets thrown back in their face, so I'll just leave it at that.

And also get the memo already "Nintendo fans", "Sony fans", "XBots" etc. etc. etc. it's all the same shit, they all do the same thing on these boards.

loosus

Banned
soundwave05 said:
From experience on this board the people who dish out the personal insults are generally the ones that can't take it when it gets thrown back in their face, so I'll just leave it at that.
Will you really?

soundwave05 said:
And also get the memo already "Nintendo fans", "Sony fans", "XBots" etc. etc. etc. it's all the same shit, they all do the same thing on these boards.
...Guess not.

Nah guys, I learned my lesson not to lose my cool on these videogame message boards. If anything, it's not worth nullifying my Christianity by trying to argue and contend with people online... too much strife.

I'll still state my opinion, hopefully in a reasonable manner, but otherwise, I'm going to leave the negative insults and unreasonable maliciousness to the elitists of the media-create topics.

To go back on topic:

My argument does indeed sound like it did when DS was first released, so I'm hopeful to the future of Wii third party titles getting their rightful sales;

It is still a rationalized excuse however, that some decent effort titles (like One Piece, Naruto, Elebits, Bleach, Resident Evil, Harvest Moon) debuting low and selling worse the next week, most not even breaking one hundred thousand.

LanceStern said:
Nah guys, I learned my lesson not to lose my cool on these videogame message boards. If anything, it's not worth nullifying my Christianity by trying to argue and contend with people online... too much strife.

I'll still state my opinion, hopefully in a reasonable manner, but otherwise, I'm going to leave the negative insults and unreasonable maliciousness to the elitists of the media-create topics.

To go back on topic:

My argument does indeed sound like it did when DS was first released, so I'm hopeful to the future of Wii third party titles getting their rightful sales;

It is still a rationalized excuse however, that some decent effort titles (like One Piece, Naruto, Elebits, Bleach, Resident Evil, Harvest Moon) debuting low and selling worse the next week, most not even breaking one hundred thousand.

That's good advice, I didn't even say anything to anyone in this thread, that's the crazy thing about it. Some people just have nothing better to do and need to start shit I guess.

And soundwave05, loosus is just trying to start it up again, so it's best to leave that alone.

Most of the insulters will indeed throw out comments, jeers, insults and harassment to people with different opinions, and if you respond, you'll probably get banned, because being completely 180 degrees with the majority of the opinion can give the impression of trolling. The moderators then jump and board, and ax us with our own personal, Scarlet Letters (or Scarlett tags >_>)

It's not all their fault. I had (and still have, only by the grace of God can it be changed) a tendency to stick to the negatives of MC topics. Pounding on the likes of 300k and poor DS sellers. I can be "realistic", but it's not always good to focus on the negatives. The good things can be found if searched hard enough.

It's also best to keep profanity out of messages:
1) It's NEVER needed. No matter what anyone tries to say, it's NEVER needed.

CANLI said:
Yeah, I would like to see DQ selling 500k. I'm a fan of DQ but when I see the third party Wii games don't selling, still Zelda has not yet surpassed the 500K, I'm wondering if it could go until this number.
Unless a title has abnormally long legs, as does New Super Mario Bros. or Wii Sports, its sales are going to be limited by the current install base of the system. Dragon Quest Swords will have a Wii userbase double-triple what Twilight Princess had when it was a relevant current seller.

For spinoff comparison purposes, the userbase will be even bigger than the GameCube userbase when Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles was released, ~2.3 million in August 2003.

It debuted at ~240k, hovered around the Top 30 for about what, 5 weeks, then dropped away.

it's LTD'd at 355k. At least that's the number I have >_>

jarrod

Banned
DQ Swords, Crystal Bearers and Chocobo's Dungeon are each going to crack a million sold eventually... you heard it here first! ;)

jarrod said:
DQ Swords, Crystal Bearers and Chocobo's Dungeon are each going to crack a million sold eventually... you heard it here first! ;)

The first two, yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if they did. Chocobo's Dungeon... maybe not - I just think it might be a little more niche than the others & if it comes out when the Wii base is still relatively low, a million might be pushing it.

Squenix definitely have the best shot at first third party million-seller, though.

Scum

jarrod said:
I think non-game status will be guaranteed for these two. As for Chocobo's Dungeon, I'm not so sure about...

The only game I can see cracking a million out of those is Crystal Bearers.

DQS and Chocobo are a little bit too niche. DQS should do good in Japan (300k or more I think), but US and Europe I don't see more than 400k from them COMBINED.

Chocobo I have no faith in. It couldn't even do well with DS's booming popularity

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
RiskyChris said:
I sure hope that Trusty Bell will sell more than the summation of nothing.

Sum() = 1Sum() = Sum(1), which over an infinite continuum (Sigma summation with no index variable is assumed to be infinite) is infinity.

NGS rising to heaven confirmed!

Bebpo

Banned
So ummm....I'm guessing Shun is not taking over as the successor to Gyakuten? Doubt we'll see a sequel unless Shun sells big in the US :(

Stumpokapow said:
Sum() = 1Sum() = Sum(1), which over an infinite continuum (Sigma summation with no index variable is assumed to be infinite) is infinity.

NGS rising to heaven confirmed!

Um, what. This is what you're doing:

Sum(0) = 1Sum(0) = Sum(1*0) = infinity? No.

LanceStern said:

DQS and Chocobo are a little bit too niche. DQS should do good in Japan (300k or more I think), but US and Europe I don't see more than 400k from them COMBINED.

Chocobo I have no faith in. It couldn't even do well with DS's booming popularity

It's been pointed out before, but are you suggesting that DQS is going to sell less than it's plug-into-your-TV precursor? International sales-wise, you may be right to be pessimistic - DQ hasn't performed well in the West compared to, say, Final Fantasy.

As for Chocobo, I think you're making a mistake looking at the sales of Chocobo Tales - a new franchise, albeit using a familiar character - as an indicator for potential sales of a new Chocobo Mysterious Dungeon title. Mysterious Dungeon 2 topped out over 500k & I think Chocobo Wii is more likely to end up closer to that than Chocobo Tales.

jarrod

Banned
RiskyChris said:
I sure hope that Trusty Bell will sell more than the summation of nothing.
How about Trusty Bell > Folksoul? :lol

LanceStern said:

Kenshin DQ sold over 500k in Japan, and it didn't have the benefit of being on the hottest console around or coming from the core DQ team. Swords is going sell insane amounts...

Chocobo's the only iffy title imo, but even that could clear a million eventually I think. It did on PlayStation and the recent Pokemon Dungeon did it... really depends on how big the Wii base gets and how well recieved the game is imo.

CANLI

I don't see Crystal Bearers make more than 500 k even if the userbase will be better than DQ Swords. Dragon Quest series will sell better than the FF series on Nintendo platforms.
Chocobo will not do more than 100-150 k. Even the fantastic Chocobo DS game has made like 110-120k.

From the last videos, DQ Swords looks really great. I love the wiimote manipulation but you know, Japanese people prefer the standard Rpg (alias DQ IX).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
RiskyChris said:
Um, what. This is what you're doing:

Sum(0) = 1Sum(0) = Sum(1*0) = infinity? No.

That's if you assume a blank function with a blank input is zero, and I'm not sure why you'd assume that. I'm not aware of any rule that defines a blank function, but the simplest function in mathematics is associativity.

I guess if you want to be technical, the blank function is ambiguous so the summation of a blank function is indefinite and there's no answer.

LanceStern said:

To go back on topic:

Lance, seriously, it's getting boring. We got the point. So please, stop it, or we could begin to think that you're a joke account.

Well Mithos, I respect you as a poster so I won't really respond to that.

But to those who ask whwy I don't think Chocobo will do so well, it's just that at this current point of time, Wii titles that were supposed to sell really well haven't proven themselves, in either the US or Japan (with 2 or 3 exceptions).

So whether or not it sold well as a TV plug in or DS title, the franchise name isn't selling the games on the Wii ENOUGH TO REACH A MILLION. Especially Chocobo, it's not popular enough.

I could be wrong, but neither DQS nor Chocobo look like potential million sellers.

LanceStern said:
But to those who ask whwy I don't think Chocobo will do so well, it's just that at this current point of time, Wii titles that were supposed to sell really well haven't proven themselves, in either the US or Japan (with 2 or 3 exceptions).

Names?

So whether or not it sold well as a TV plug in or DS title, the franchise name isn't selling the games on the Wii ENOUGH TO REACH A MILLION. Especially Chocobo, it's not popular enough.

What does this mean?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
MC hardware and NPD both in the same day. I likey.

Who wants to bet that PS3 HW combined will be less than 100k just like last month?

Stumpokapow said:
That's if you assume a blank function with a blank input is zero, and I'm not sure why you'd assume that. I'm not aware of any rule that defines a blank function, but the simplest function in mathematics is associativity.

I guess if you want to be technical, the blank function is ambiguous so the summation of a blank function is indefinite and there's no answer.

If you want to be technical, it was a light-hearted joke with tangential relevance to mathematics.

Rock_Man

MK DS is currently selling ~50 % better than last year! Very very unusual actually.

mk.png

Cosmonaut X said:
Sonic, Big Brain Academy, Dragon ball, Madden, Call of Duty etc. They started off very strong, but have been or are showing drastic signs of stagnation. They level off at 250,000 ; 200,000; 150,000 in the US and are done.

What does this mean?

If I had just said, "The franchise names are not enough to sell Wii titles", people in MC topic would possibly comment back (in a very offensive way most of the time) "Zelda in the US? Super Paper Mario? WarioWare?".

So I said the franchise names aren't enough to sell Wii titles up to a million. I just worded it differently. The popular franchises on the Wii just aren't selling like they used to, which is understandable at this time but still a true statement. I say that to justify my reasoning that Dragon Quest (a popular franchise in it's own right) is not a big enough name to debunk the current trend of Wii titles.

Saitou

Banned
LanceStern said:
I could be wrong, but neither DQS nor Chocobo look like potential million sellers.

I know trying a rational argument with you is being the retarded guy running into a wall I depicted earlier, but this cannot be said enough times.

THIS GAME IS DRAGON QUEST KENSHIN

DragonQuest.jpg

dq.jpg

kenshindq1.jpg

IT SOLD HALF A MILLION ****ING COPIES

How can DQ:S not sell a million?

LanceStern said:
Sonic, Big Brain Academy, Dragon ball, Madden, Call of Duty etc. They started off very strong, but have been or are showing drastic signs of stagnation. They level off at 250,000 ; 200,000; 150,000 in the US and are done.

It's pretty much par for the course for ANY game on ANY system to have a strong front-loaded sales period then become insignificant.

Saitou said:

The only thing that worries me is if the Wii playerbase is large enough right now.

Saitou said:
I know trying a rational argument with you is being the retarded guy running into a wall I depicted earlier, but this cannot be said enough times.

THIS GAME IS DRAGON QUEST KENSHIN

IT SOLD HALF A MILLION ****ING COPIES

The way I see it, is this:
1) Dragon Quest was a gigantic popular franchsie at the time of Kenshin's release.
2) More people had TVs then they had videogame consoles.
3) The game sold 500k copies

So you're telling me that the same game, is going to sell twice as much on a system where 3rd party games aren't selling well at the moment? With only a 2 million userbase compared to how many people having TVs?

It doesn't add up to me like that.

But hey, this is the new generation of gamers, so anything could happen (as the DS has proven my predictions wrong quite a few times)

Saitou

Banned
RiskyChris said:
The only thing that worries me is if the Wii playerbase is large enough right now.
I'm confident a lot of DQ fans will jump ship. I mean, more DQ fans than would be expected for a spinoff. It's being made by Yuji Horii, after all.
or so the box says...

Not to mention, the waggle factor may give this game legs.

Well Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire sold 5 million copies in Japan, and look how Colosseum did.
I must have missed the part where Colosseum was an actual game and not just a means to play GBA battles on a TV screen.

LanceStern said:
Well Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire sold 5 million copies in Japan, and look how Colosseum did.

But hey, this is the new generation of gamers, so anything could happen (as the Ds has proven my predictions wrong quite a few times)

The true Pokemon games have always done far better than the console 'stadium' games or any other spin-off.

Saitou

Banned
LanceStern said:
The way I see it, is this:
1) Dragon Quest was a gigantic popular franchsie at the time of Kenshin's release.
2) More people had TVs then they had videogame consoles.
3) The game sold 500k copies

So you're telling me that the same game, is going to sell twice as much on a system where 3rd party games don't sell? With only 2 million userbase compared to how many people having TVs?

It doesn't add up to me like that.

But hey, this is the new generation of gamers, so anything could happen (as the DS has proven my predictions wrong quite a few times)
I'm going to run pell-mell into a wall a few times.

brb

Top Bottom