• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 52, 2013 (Dec 23 - Dec 29)

AmanoBuff

Just to better summarize FFX/X-2 sales:

PS3: 182.6k
Vita Twin Pack: 134.6k
Vita FFX only: 22.6k
Vita FFX-2 only: Less than 10k

Cumulative sales of all releases across both platforms: >~ 339.8k

All right, so duckroll argued to me that it would make a lot more sense to dump out LTDs for the games as well, and suggested it fluctuated wildly enough that it was casual base driven over core base driven, so I'll add them to what Aquamarine made:

First Week Sorted:

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - 386,234 / 1,143,570
The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks - 320,940 / 725,904
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask - 314,044 / 601,542
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass - 288,282 / 902,386
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker - 287,346 / 742,609
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds - 225,418 / TBD
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - 194,894 / 297,441
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages - 191,802 / (Can't Find)
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons - 190,029 / (Can't Find)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D - 182,998 / 498,145
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - 145,068 / 552,476
The Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap - 92,882 / 235,400
The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords - 54,782 / 293,989 (I think?)
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX - 49,513
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - 31,154

LTD Sorted:

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - 386,234 / 1,143,570
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass - 288,282 / 902,386
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker - 287,346 / 742,609
The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks - 320,940 / 725,904
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask - 314,044 / 601,542
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - 145,068 / 552,476
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D - 182,998 / 498,145
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - 194,894 / 297,441
The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords - 54,782 / 293,989 (I think?)
The Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap - 92,882 / 235,400
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX - 49,513

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages - 191,802 / (Can't Find)
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons - 190,029 / (Can't Find)

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds - 225,418 / TBD
Nirolak your OoT 3D numbers are really dated (from Garaph?); it's around 601k now.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Nirolak your OoT 3D numbers are really dated (from Garaph?); it's around 601k now.

Will fix!

Sorry I forgot Garaph stopped updating while that was still selling. Usually it's still handy for franchise legacy, though that will soon be at its end.

RichyMtl

Neo Member
It's too early to call either way.
The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D had high sellthrough as well.

They just don't want another Spirit Tracks situation on their hands though.

What's the story behind Spirit Tracks, it has a good first week from what i can see, did it bombed afterwards?

Busaiku

It had such a gigantic shipment that retailers immediately slashed prices, like from day 1.
The final number is still less than the 1st shipment.

No one else has said so i might as well do, Congratulations Animal Crossing for being the first 3DS game to cross 4 million in Japan!!! Only 18 other games in Japan have done that

tumblr_mnvfsvcuGt1qzp9weo1_500.gif

Just to better summarize FFX/X-2 sales:

PS3: 182.6k
Vita Twin Pack: 134.6k
Vita FFX only: 22.6k
Vita FFX-2 only: Less than 10k

Cumulative sales of all releases across both platforms: >~ 339.8k
It is important to note that VITA Twin Pack is more expensive than the PS3 version(or was it?)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
No one else has said so i might as well do, Congratulations Animal Crossing for being the first 3DS game to cross 4 million in Japan!!! Only 18 other games in Japan have done that

tumblr_mnvfsvcuGt1qzp9weo1_500.gif

Yeah, Animal Crossing has really been an extremely success story this generation, especially given it's one of the games you might expect to be impacted a fair amount by losing some of the broader DS market.

There are several different messages they could glean from this, Kagari. And many of them are not good. Then again, LR selling more could send them several messages as well. Honestly, I'm looking at this as a lose-lose since SE learning anything of value is too much to hope for. Honestly, I'm so mixed on the XIII series as a whole that I'm not even sure what message I want them to get.

The fuck?

This pretty much is the final nail in the coffin that was FF13.

SE from now will focus on FFXV and possibly FFX-3 and FF12 HD. The good times are coming.

Here we go.

The Vita in the week of FFX release will see a great increase in sales (all models) and will outsell the 3DS for that week or so.

long term effects the Vita will "saved" and be a viable competitor to the 3DS for 2014 and beyond.

Hahaha. Oh, I wish.

It had such a gigantic shipment that retailers immediately slashed prices, like from day 1.
The final number is still less than the 1st shipment.

Don't retailers eat the cost for these sort of price cuts in Japan unlike in the West where there is price protection? Or am I misunderstanding things?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty great hold for 3DS compared to last year for week 52!

Loving Zelda on top, marvellous game!

Jubern

I don't know why so many people think this, but no, the Vita Twin pack is the same price as the PS3 version.

I think the RRP is the same but for some reason the price instore isn't always. For instance, my GEO had the PS3 version for about 5900 and the Vita dual-pack for 6100 on launch day. Weird.

The fuck?

This pretty much is the final nail in the coffin that was FF13.

SE from now will focus on FFXV and possibly FFX-3 and FF12 HD. The good times are coming.

"See? Console games just don't sell. After FFXV, XVI to be announced for mobile. Has anyone seen the latest Breath of Fire? We need to see what Capcom is doing."

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yeah, Animal Crossing has really been an extremely success story this generation, especially given it's one of the games you might expect to be impacted a fair amount by losing some of the broader DS market.

Considering eShop direct downloads as well, it should be around 4,5 millions now. Simply, an outstanding result.

I'm starting having an anamzing feeling about Kirby, even when compared to past entries: it could be another overperformer.

B.O.O.M

damn FF X HD did great! Vita numbers are great! WiiU numbers are great!

Good way to end things for the year I would say :D

"See? Console games just don't sell. After FFXV, XVI to be announced for mobile. Has anyone seen the latest Breath of Fire? We need to see what Capcom is doing."

Thats just stupid considering what SE has said about focusing on a few AAA game for dedicated consoles. Not to mention what if FFXV sells really well? What if FFX HD performed above expectations?

Don't really understand the Zelda shipment, sure ST bomba'd, but there's a big range between 250k - 800k or so that it shipped, really don't understand why Nintendo/retailers had to be this conservative.

hiska-kun

What's the story behind Spirit Tracks, it has a good first week from what i can see, did it bombed afterwards?

Going by Media Create:

[NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (Nintendo) - 291.496 / NEW <47,11%>

So they shipped ~618k copies at day one.
They needed price cuts to sold all the first shipment, but it seems the game managed to sell more than 700k at the end. That's means it had a second shipment.
I still don't understand why such trauma for this game.

Mpl90

FFX/X-2 did amazing, especially on Vita.

It seems Comgnet sales / preorders ratio has increased for the new consoles, like 3DS, Vita and even Wii U (even if on a lower level).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Don't really understand the Zelda shipment, sure ST bomba'd, but there's a big range between 250k - 800k or so that it shipped, really don't understand why Nintendo/retailers had to be this conservative.

Usually it's based on the performance of the last most comparable game combined with pre-orders.

Thats just stupid considering what SE has said about focusing on a few AAA game for dedicated consoles. Not to mention what if FFXV sells really well? What if FFX HD performed above expectations?

While AAA console games may be a part of Square-Enix, isn't the company completely reorienting themselves around what they see as a mobile future?

It will be interesting to see how well FFXV does. I suppose we'll see what power the brand holds now when it releases, whenever that may be.

Final Fantasy X/X-2 did well on both. There is no way SE will see it as a failure in console market. What's more likely is that they will now finally understand(and regret) the time and money they wasted on XIII saga, instead of bringing us FF XV or other HD remasters in the previous generation. They might also start working on X-3.

I hope they look at the sales success of X/X-2 HD on VITA and finally decide to support it. Starting with Type-0 HD remaster on VITA and continuing with XII HD and X-3 on it.

Anth0ny

Absolutely. Still don't fully understand how AC became such a success on the 3DS in particular.

4 million units sold in Japan. Jesus.

Go_Ly_Dow

Great numbers for XHD!

12 year old game putting the finale to the "much demanded" XIII saga to shame.

Now please don't let Toriyama sink the FF brand name ever again by giving him another project.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
FFX/X-2 did amazing, especially on Vita.

It seems Comgnet sales / preorders ratio has increased for the new consoles, like 3DS, Vita and even Wii U (even if on a lower level).

While I don't think we'll ever know, what I'm most curious about is what the percentage of people who bough the collection had played FFX before versus those who hadn't.

Basically I'm curious if people who didn't play the game before found this style compelling, especially all the teenagers they noted whose favorite games in the series were Dissidia and Type-0.

dhlt25

It's kinda funny how japanese developer can have very realistic sale expectation for the japanese market (looking at the sell through rate) but totally clueless for the western market

Mpl90

Usually it's based on the performance of the last most comparable game combined with pre-orders.

Ah, right...
...you can't have a Mako avatar without having watched any episode if Kill la Kill. Especially the two stars Goku Uniform / Jojo-esque one.

These things should be ban worthy. :sese:

Wouldn't OOT3D make more sense then? It makes more sense than comparing it to ST, besides that most of the handheld Zeldas open at the 200k~ range so it doesn't make any sense that the shipment was only that big, especially when we're in the holiday season, this game had everything going for it to sell well.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Wouldn't OOT3D make more sense then? It makes more sense than comparing it to ST, besides that most of the handheld Zeldas open at the 200k~ range so it doesn't make any sense that the shipment was only that big, especially when we're in the holiday season, this game had everything going for it to sell well.

Well if we use OOT3D it didn't sell a huge amount up front, but had very good legs.

In theory if you were a retailer, you might see it as a safe bet to order a bit more than OOT up front and then get replenishments if demand was high.

That said, I think they could have went higher and been safe, but I'm just speculating at why it was as low as it was.

While AAA console games may be a part of Square-Enix, isn't the company completely reorienting themselves around what they see as a mobile future?

It will be interesting to see how well FFXV does. I suppose we'll see what power the brand holds now when it releases, whenever that may be.

FFXV and KH3 what we know so far. Oh and FF14. You need to cheer up. FFX HD doing well is a good thing.

Dark_castle

We would roughly know how well FFXV would perform when we know the sales number for PS4. Frankly, I think Japan is now shifting away from console gaming and more towards handheld/mobile devices.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if FFXV sold less than FFXIII in Japan. It's more unpredictable in NA/EU however.

B.O.O.M

Great numbers for XHD!

12 year old game putting the finale to the "much demanded" XIII saga to shame.

Now please don't let Toriyama sink the FF brand name ever again by giving him another project.

FF 13 definitive edition/complete edition coming soon to a PS4/Xbone near you

Top Bottom