• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance demo is up on Xbox Live and PSN US. PSN EU whenever.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yeah as an action game noob I don't feel too good about the game not telling me about basic, integral mechanics and how to employ them, but I pray this is only an issue with the demo.

Don't mind experimenting for combos and moves though, that's kind of how I learn anyways.

Dabanton

This demo is awesome.

Now I know what the fuck I'm doing I'm parrying everyone and everything.

I like that it's built into your natural finger movements.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Blade time, or whatever the hell it's called, sucks. Why do I have to move the camera around with the left stick to get it to slice? It makes it awkward and the movement accelerates too fast or something. Feels janky.

because blade mode begins in the direction Raiden is facing, not the camera.

So the transition between movement and blade mode control feels alot more natural on the stick controlling Raiden than adjusting it with the same stick as the camera.

but you can do it either way though. Just change the controller setting to a different config. I had the same reaction to it as you did at first until I changed the settings and realized why it was the way it was on default.

also I believe you can change camera scroll speed and sensitivity in the options as well. If not I'd bet money you'll be able to in the full game

Yeah as an action game noob I don't feel too good about the game not telling me about basic, integral mechanics and how to employ them, but I pray this is only an issue with the demo.

What problems are you having?

Parry and blade mode are really all you need to know about to S rank the demo and the game tells you about both of them.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
What problems are you having?

Parry and blade mode are really all you need to know about to S rank the demo and the game tells you about both of them.
Oh I'm just talking in general. Haven't played the demo yet, excited to get home and play it.

The combat feels really weird, but like other have said, it sorta just drops you onto your head and tells you to go. I want to see what the full game is like now, though.

... not really a big fan of Blade Mode, however. I can't seem to control it right.

The long ass development time on this game and it has screen-tearing? Get the hell outta here with that garbage.

Blade time, or whatever the hell it's called, sucks. Why do I have to move the camera around with the left stick to get it to slice? It makes it awkward and the movement accelerates too fast or something. Feels janky.

you can flick the right analog stick to perform cuts in blade mode to make it a little easier

once you get familiar with the direction of the slice and the angle of the right stick, it will be that much easier when you need to be more accurate.

There's a slight learning curve, but once you master it, slicing in blade mode becomes very easy

jett

D-Member
KHAN.gif

CHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN

No thanks.

I hate when people say shitty framerates aren't a nuisance. Just because you can put up with it doesn't mean others can (or should).

Can't wait to get home and download this, though. :)

I don't understand though. I just played through Mass Effect 2 (which I think people generally liked, unlike 3) on PS3 for the first time, and the amount of slowdown and total game "pauses" where the screen just froze for a moment was way worse than I experienced with either ZOE games (however, I did play them on 360).

It didn't matter to me anyways, because I bought it just for the Rising demo, and it turned out they were two very good games.

demo is amazing. combat really seems very deep, much deeper than I was expecting. need to play more, but overall, it's an amazing demo and it's completely sold me on the game.

How is the story shaping up? Strange because it's not a typical metal gear game. Usually when you hear about a new metal gear you expect stealth action and an involving story.

I realize this isn't a stealth game, but will it have a story?

Krecik

The US PS Store is down for maintenance, so I guess by the time it's up the demo will be available. On another note, I hate the new PS Store so much, I have to wait about 40 seconds for it to tell me that it's currently down...

The demo was pretty darn fun. Combat is very satisfying, though it's definitely going to take more time getting used to than I initially thought.

Anyone know who's composing the music for this game?

The tutorial is really bad, I don't know how to play this game.

How to be a BADASS in Rising Demo
http://youtu.be/xYGIRVeVY24?t=1m7s <---MGSR TUTORIAL on Moveset
(In Japanese, but you can figure out which buttons represent the moves)

Can't be posted enough :p

How is the story shaping up? Strange because it's not a typical metal gear game. Usually when you hear about a new metal gear you expect stealth action and an involving story.

I realize this isn't a stealth game, but will it have a story?

Konami (KojiPro) is doing the story

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I really wish the game itself would offer such a detailed tutorial, as opposed to going to watch a YT video that lays it all out for you.

Not me.

It'd be alot longer and you'd probably only retain half of what you were shown without any experience with the game. Kinda like how people played the Vanquish's lengthy tutorial and still didn't remember how to activate slow mo or that melee drains your bar.

I do wish it had a pause menu movelist though.(I believe Bayonetta still had the loading screen one in the demo, which was invaluable at the time) but if I was just playing the full version I could just look in the manual to figure out combos and buttons.

tl;dr longer tutorials are bad. In game reference material is much preferable.

Falifax

Did somebody already point out that in VR training at the last dummy if you slice the hostage she gets stripped to underwear?

jett

D-Member
Do the masses suggest 360 or PS3 for Rising?

According to the demo the framerate is a wash(average two frame difference for the 360), however there's a lot of screen tearing on the 360, none on the PS3. Some missing special effects from the boss's attacks on the PS3 demo. And all if not most cut-scenes are FMV, and the game takes advantage of the PS3's blu-ray so you'll get much higher video quality on there.

Seems either way, doesn't matter.

They really need to stop this. I don't plan on renewing my gold subscription anytime soon but I should still be allowed to download a demo

While I don't agree with a lot of what you have to pay for in Gold (online play) I don't really see an issue with getting a demo early. Early demos, betas, etc. are a legitimate incentive. I'm sure it will come to silver.

Downloading demo now.

Mupod

How to be a BADASS in Rising Demo
http://youtu.be/xYGIRVeVY24?t=1m7s <---MGSR TUTORIAL on Moveset
(In Japanese, but you can figure out which buttons represent the moves)

Can't be posted enough :p

Damn that evade move looks like the one Longswords have in Monster Hunter. Can't wait to try this out when I get home.

Fuck your gold only bs Microsoft.

...or not. Goddammit, I thought they only pulled that with early 'exclusive' demos? Well, I'm sure someone will upload the files. Or maybe I'll just suck it up and get a month because I still want to play Spartan Ops, Anarchy Reigns and some RE6 mercs. Really sick of paying for online though.

S1kkZ

While I don't agree with a lot of what you have to pay for in Gold (online play) I don't really see an issue with getting a demo early. Early demos, betas, etc. are a legitimate incentive. I'm sure it will come to silver.

of course it will, after a week. it has been that way since almost 7 (!) years.

Has anyone figured out how to get to the flashing cardboard box hidden at the back of the VR arena?

EDIT: Ahah, figured it out. You gotta cut one of the crossbeams so it can be climbed up. It's an inventory item!

Wasn't really anticipating the game, but now that I've played the demo ? Day fucking one.

Cut cut cut cut cut cut cut cut cut cut cut cut.

It feels so awesome. I hope I'll master all the hidden commands and tactis so I'll get most out of the game.

Majukun

probably many people already know this,but if you cut one of the pillars on the centre of the Vr section ,you can then climb the part of the bridge that falls and open a box at the top of the stage where you find the cardboard box to equip.

noffles

Banned
I wasn't going to get this until around summer, but I'm not sure I'll be able to stop myself from getting this absolute fucking gem on day 1. That demo was amazing.

Top Bottom