• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

vazel

Banned
How do people figure out the best SGSSAA compatibility bit? I love SGSSAA but I always have to get the best settings from 3DCenter. Would be better if I can figure that out on my own.

Xyber

It does nothing at all? Like Raiden just stands still? That's odd. He should be doing a short hop and slash. It's available as soon as you buy it.

Either does a jump or just a light attack, but not the dodge attack. Is it possible to unequip it?

Jtrizzy

Are you playing in windowed mode or full screen?

Do you have custom resolutions set up at all on your pc? My panny plasma accepts 2560x1440, which I use for downsampling in other games.

Anyway once you have created a custom res, change to that in your desktop BEFORE starting the game in Steam. Once you get into the game, change it to 1080 and windowed mode. Hope it works for you.

It's honestly not a surprise to me, I've made no secret that Bayonetta and Vanquish are easily two of my favorite games of last generation.

Then I've definitely had you confused with someone else who've commented on last gen's action games. My bad.

I have a question though, I can't get the dodge to work at all. I unlocked it and it does nothing? Press X+A together just doesn't do anything.

You bought Offensive Defense already, right? Pressing X+A by itself should make you slide back while slashing. You can directionally control it (I think according to who/what you're locked onto usually); left/right will have you circle the target while slashing, and forward will make you do a vertical overhead slash. All should have some invincibility frames to get around enemy attacks.

Is wonderful 101 anywhere near as good as this? This is turning out to be one of my favorite games of all time.

Better, yet different. There's a lot more to get used to in playing 101, but the amount of care, love, and fun in this feels unmatched as far as new IPs go, imo.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Either does a jump or just a light attack, but not the dodge attack. Is it possible to unequip it?

I don't think so. Once you buy it, it's yours. Maybe your controls are set differently? The move should show up in the HELP menu when you pause.

Xyber

Alright, got it sorted out. You can unequip it and when I bought it earlier I just thought it said "equip" so I pressed that. But that meant it was equipped already and I removed it.

I know nothing about W101 at all. I'm going to have to check it out. I have loved all of Plat's games, but it's unlikely that I'm going to buy a Wii U for it, I hope it comes to other platforms.

All these glowing recommends for the game! Damn! Why does it have to be Wii U exclusive!!???

Mesoian

The 4th boss is terrible. A turtle boss who has more damage delt to him by the helcopter which the game only allows you to target 20% of the time because of the game's shitty camera. Fuck that.

I'm about halfway through this game and I can already say without a doubt that MGR is Platinum's weakest game.

Uraizen

Banned
So... since I'm too scared to try myself. When you select "New Game," it says you lose all your customizations and various other things. Does that mean you lose your weapons, outfits, upgrades, etc. if you choose New Game?

I know nothing about W101 at all. I'm going to have to check it out. I have loved all of Plat's games, but it's unlikely that I'm going to buy a Wii U for it, I hope it comes to other platforms.

All these glowing recommends for the game! Damn! Why does it have to be Wii U exclusive!!???

It was a system-seller to me, just like MGR would've been for PS3 or Steam.

You'll probably want a Wii U down the line, or sooner. You'll have W101 and Bayo 2 (if you liked the first). Look up Saur's videos on how to play W101, and maybe a 1st/2nd stage playthrough so you'll know what to expect.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I have a question though, I can't get the dodge to work at all. I unlocked it and it does nothing? Press X+A together just doesn't do anything.

Do you have it equipped/bought? If not, there's your problem.

So... since I'm too scared to try myself. When you select "New Game," it says you lose all your customizations and various other things. Does that mean you lose your weapons, outfits, upgrades, etc. if you choose New Game?

YES, SO DO NOT HIT THAT. Hit "Chapter" to play a higher/lower difficulty setting.

"NEW GAME (Jetstream/Bladewolf)" IS ONLY TO START THOSE (however if you used the Konami code you can then select them on all difficulties through chapter, IIRC)

Yes. Don't choose new game. I did that once and had to regrind to rebuy for everything on PS3.

If you want to replay the story, do Chapter like Seks says and start from the prologue; it'll work like it was a new game, with everything you've earned up to that point (past the prologue).

vazel

Banned
I think there was a post on the previous page.
Yea, I saw the post. I was just asking for people's methodology in figuring out which bit is the best. That way I can do it on my own in the future instead of having to rely on other people to do the dirty work for me.

Get a Wii U not just for TW101 but also for Bayonetta 2. It's unlikely those games will come to other platforms since I think Nintendo is funding them.

Uraizen

Banned
YES, SO DO NOT HIT THAT. Hit "Chapter" to play a higher/lower difficulty setting.

"NEW GAME (Jetstream/Bladewolf)" IS ONLY TO START THOSE (however if you used the Konami code you can then select them on all difficulties through chapter, IIRC)

Yes. Don't choose new game. I did that once and had to regrind to rebuy for everything on PS3.

Perfect answers, thank you very much. I'll pretend that doesn't exist except for selecting the DLC characters. I had the PS3 version, but never had the balls to try and see what happens.

Grief.exe

Game is really starting to click with me. My forearms start to cramp up during some of the more crazy parry sequences.

W101 and Bayo 2 will never come to another platform.

Nintendo owns the game, you're never going to see it in a Non Nintendo platform. Same as Bayo 2, this isn't a case like with Ninja Gaiden and other so called exclusives. These are games Nintendo fully paid.

Miker

I'm finding that MSAA is surprisingly expensive for my 7850. Even MSAA X2 drops to 55 FPS when there's lots of debris, and particularly during Zandatsu. I maintain a full 60 FPS much more consistently with SMAA, and thankfully the image quality gap isn't that huge.

TheSeks

W101 and Bayo 2 will never come to another platform.

They'll come to PC...
when emulators for the Wii U eventually happen?

I'm really wanting Tora/Konami to pipe-up about the first-day sales/revenue they made from this port. Maybe if Konami goes "yep, it's a success" Sega will consider putting Vanquish/et. al. console-only titles on PC as well? >_>

TheSeks

I wonder how they'd handle the puzzles that need 2 screens in W101.

Same as DesMuMe does the DS's dual-screens, I'd assume. Cut resolution to show "TV" and "gamepad" in one-window, probably support dual-monitors. (This is completely off-topic)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

The Wonderful 101 has about as much chance of coming to other platforms as Beyond: Two Souls showing up on Xbox.

FYI, The Wonderful 101 is my game of the year. Rising is No.3.

Teknoman

They'll come to PC...
when emulators for the Wii U eventually happen?

I'm really wanting Tora/Konami to pipe-up about the first-day sales/revenue they made from this port. Maybe if Konami goes "yep, it's a success" Sega will consider putting Vanquish/et. al. console-only titles on PC as well? >_>

Honestly, this just makes me want an MGS V Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain PC version.

red731

Remotely donwloading now. Excited.

It would be great from Valve to allow Steam predownloads to be downloaded to a custom directory - but yeah, in their deposit folder, it should be safe from earlier extraction and what not.

joe2187

Banned
Raidens Waifu
601E585DE6408BBFCBB675C722A51D3F256F4460

Raiden hanging out with his buddies.

MormaPope

Banned
The 4th boss is terrible. A turtle boss who has more damage delt to him by the helcopter which the game only allows you to target 20% of the time because of the game's shitty camera. Fuck that.

I'm about halfway through this game and I can already say without a doubt that MGR is Platinum's weakest game.

Each game from Platinum has it's own purpose. I like Raiden as a character more than Solid Snake, I love how detached and surreal the world of Metal Gear has become in Rising. The combat makes the player watch for every opportunity presented, offensive or defensive. The boss fights empower Raiden and the player feverishly.

I would place Rising above Bayonetta and Vanquish, I know I'm in the minority for that preference. For me Rising was the Metal Gear I never knew could exist, that the fiction and mythos is enough for Metal Gear to flourish. People are hoping the Metal Gear franchise ends, Rising proved this franchise can exist for a long time.

Bayonetta feels like a excellent sequel to DMC4, Rising made me feel like I was a kid again.

I'm messing around with the game, I had already finished it last year and I didn't know you could walk while in blade mode!

Same as DesMuMe does the DS's dual-screens, I'd assume. Cut resolution to show "TV" and "gamepad" in one-window, probably support dual-monitors. (This is completely off-topic)

Oh right, makes sense..

I have a dual core and Radeon 5770 and the game runs perfectly fine (with AA turned completely off). I think the minimum requirements they posted are stretching a little.

TheSeks

Mouse cursor won't go away in cutscenes. Weird... Fixes?

No fix but to move it yourself. Hopefully they patch that out, it's distracting and annoying to have to manually move it out of the way.

Regiruler

Exact opposite for me. W101 has far less gimmicks than this does.

Unless I'm missing something, w101 loved to switch things up every 15 minutes.

Outside of swapping into stealth mode, the gameplay in mgr is fairly consistent.
Then again, I'm only in chapter 2 so far.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Managed to play for about 2.5 hours, getting back into my groove. Decided not to konami code my way into revengeance right off the bat but I started fresh on hard and made it all the past Monsoon.

Some thoughts.

Incredible port job. At 720p with everything on high except shadows and AA I hold 60 fps on my laptop super smooth, more so than the console version. My FPS doesn't even drop when I go nuts in blade mode.

The fact that dodge offset is able to be bound to a single key is insane, I put that shit right on my middle mouse button and it almost feels like im cheating.

The sheer amount of options in the settings menu are insane, especially for control customization. Definitely an incredible job on that front.

Manual blade mode on the mouse is going to take some getting used to. It'd be nice if I had a cursor during it because then I could "trace" my slices from the get go instead of having to jerk it once to get an idea of where my positioning is with it.

The default control scheme while functional required some tweaking on my end, I don't think ninja run on control works very well so I put it on shift and moved blade mode to alt ( a key bind I am more used to), remapped ripper mode to X and executions to R, put interact on E, lock on to Q and use item on F. Once I did that things felt a lot more comfortable to me. Though I did toy with the idea of blade mode on caps lock I liked it more on alt.

Also it controls marvelously on the keyboard, who would have thought?

Though one thing, I could have sworn the blue locked chests required a fully charged blade mode (blue bar not yellow bar) to open, but these seem to open with the wet noodle yellow bar blade mode. Has it always been this way or is this a PC thing?

Mesoian

Each game from Platinum has it's own purpose. I like Raiden as a character more than Solid Snake, I love how detached and surreal the world of Metal Gear has become in Rising. The combat makes the player watch for every opportunity presented, offensive or defensive. The boss fights empower Raiden and the player feverishly.

I would place Rising above Bayonetta and Vanquish, I know I'm in the minority for that preference. For me Rising was the Metal Gear I never knew could exist, that the fiction and mythos is enough for Metal Gear to flourish. People are hoping the Metal Gear franchise ends, Rising proved this franchise can exist for a long time.

Bayonetta feels like a excellent sequel to DMC4, Rising made me feel like I was a kid again.

I have absolutely no attachment to the world of Metal Gear at all. I'm coming at this with the mindset that this is from the developers of some of the greatest character action games ever made and their pedigree is an almost ironclad assurance that the game will be in an upper echelon of quality. So i'm being pretty let down right now, especially coming off of W101, which is 100% superlative (and my game of the year last year). Bayonetta, Vanquish and W101 all control better, have deeper combat systems and don't rely on gimmicks so readily. I know this game had a sorted history, but it isn't living up to the Platinum name at all.

Based purely on it's own merits and not it's franchise, I'm not feeling this.

Unless I'm missing something, w101 loved to switch things up every 15 minutes.

Outside of swapping into stealth mode, the gameplay in mgr is fairly consistent.
Then again, I'm only in chapter 2 so far.

Yeah, wait till you get to 4.

W101 changes stuff up but more in how you attack enemies and manage counter crowd control. I'm getting really sick of the half hearted attempts of making blade time seem like a fun mechanic when, in the end, it just kinda sucks outside of dicing up fodder enemies.

MormaPope

Banned
I have absolutely no attachment to the world of Metal Gear at all. I'm coming at this with the mindset that this is from the developers of some of the greatest character action games ever made and their pedigree is an almost ironclad assurance that the game will be in an upper echelon of quality. So i'm being pretty let down right now, especially coming off of W101, which is 100% superlative (and my game of the year last year). Bayonetta, Vanquish and W101 all control better, have deeper combat systems and don't rely on gimmicks so readily. I know this game had a sorted history, but it isn't living up to the Platinum name at all.

Based purely on it's own merits and not it's franchise, I'm not feeling this.

Metal Gear as a franchise has been muddied up plenty in the past 5 years. MGS4 had some great elements with plenty of missteps, Peace Walker has some good elements with some of the nastiest character assassination I've ever seen. Rising is the most legit Metal Gear title since MGS3. And that happened mostly due to Rising's own merits.

Mechanically and gameplay wise Rising is the most fun I've had with any Platinum game. Complex combat systems don't make or break action games for me, I'd rank Anarchy Reigns higher than Vanquish due to how frantic and ambitious Anarchy Reigns is.

Top Bottom