• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

legacyzero

Banned
Indeed! People should know about it. People should let us know because it is an issue that we should absolutely fix. And when we screw up, we should be held accountable for our actions. All of those things can be done without accusing us of DRM, which is currently why I'm here after hours having to scrub our social media and answer questions.
And that is VERY appreciated!

antitrop

Man, I have to be to work at 6am tomorrow, I don't want to go to sleep, yet. :(

But I get off at 11, so... PLAY ALL FUCKING AFTERNOON, WOOOOOOOOO

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
But again... it's game reviews... from the people who hype up CoD and BF news all year long, what do I honestly expect?

As I said in The Wonderful 101 thread, Platinum has rough history with their tutorialising of mechanics. I love that they almost never have a traditional tutorial, instead teaching you through natural play of part of a stage, but they do have a tendency to make weird, obtuse design decisions that probably don't work in favour of making their games that little bit more accessible and easier to learn. Dodge being locked off as a purchasable move in both Rising and 101 are good examples; it's very easy for new players to totally miss these abilities on an entire playthrough.

The argument is always that people should pay more fucking attention to what they read/buy/learn in games, and listen to the advice from others, but I can appreciate why some people have trouble. Rising also had the demo working against it, which while good did shit fuck all to teach you how to play, meaning a lot of people were giving it two, three tries and going "what the fuck is this". I don't think it even taut you how to parry, because it was just a vertical slice of chapter 001's start-to-dog fight.

In the review world you probably have a lot of people not well attuned to the genre, but well attuned to games with simpler mechanics and better tutorials. Combined with a pressure to get shit done on time, a wedge is driven between learning the play and writing up a review before the game is on shelves.

Not that I'm justifying the behaviour, but eh. Curious buyers are always, always better off getting the widest assortment of opinions possible on games they want, and not just listening to one or two people and their score printed on a page. And off the back of 101, Platinum could probably learn to draw more attention to essential mechanics instead of burying them under other shit.

And even then, Rising does in many ways feel like the roughest of Platinum's games, maybe Max Anarchy and Mad World exceptions. The camera is rubbish and not really excusable. Ninja run fucks up easily on certain terrain. In the grand scheme of things content is pretty sparse, not at all comparable to Bayonetta or Mad World. Graphical quality is mixed throughout. Console build had frame drops. For me personally, the sense that KojiPro fucked up a game, handed it off to Platinum, and they had to get it out quick and fast is evident throughout.

But it's still a very, very fun game regardless.

EDIT: As for the port itself, overall I'm actually pretty damn impressed. I can dig people being shitty because they've got issues on their end, and stuff like the Steam offline bug shouldn't exist, but on my end I've got Platinum's engine running smoothly, and looking clean, on my PC. As their very first PC game I'm really happy, and hope this is a sign of more to come.

In other words, give me my fucking Vanquish port, SEGA.

FtsH

Hey Kojima, your shadows aren't high enough resolution for me just yet!

Left (Highest Game Preset) | Right (Resolution Hack)
ibgn2423HaUU3.png

The game stores the shadow resolution value for the high preset on these addresses (EXE file):
  • 0x622522 (DEC 6432034) - Shadowmap Render Rect Height
  • 0x622527 (DEC 6432039) - Shadowmap Render Rect Width
  • 0x622B5D (DEC 6433629) - Shadowmap Texture Width
  • 0x622B62 (DEC 6433634) - Shadowmap Texture Height
Default resolution is 1536x1536 (wat).

Not sure how safe to use it is yet, but feel free to hex-edit the exe away. They might change on the next patch, but it should be easy to find them again. I went up to 4096 just fine. It uses about 4 Shadowmaps for LOD, so don't go overboard with it. Takes up a lot of VRAM.

Great! One step close here we are.

TheFrza

I may have missed it, but has anyone had success using the Wii U Pro for this?

I tried it and it worked horribly, then I connected a DS4 and it was perfect. I would prefer the Wii U Pro, if possible...

Edit: Nevermind - just tried it again and it seems to be working

Finished the first mission before I had to surrender to sleep. Game runs flawlessly on my laptop at 1080p and maxed settings. I'd nearly forgotten how damn good this game was, so happy I'm on holiday right now.

Thank you for the reply. But what does this mean? Is it just a delay or will the game not be coming to PC for Singapore?

I think the game is not coming out for Singapore. Konami's earlier release castlevania is also not out in Singapore. I got the key from getgamesgo.com. It pre loaded just fine on Singapore steam page. But i have not checked if it unlocked yet.

SOLDIER

I don't think it does, they're rivals after all.

You can fix the refresh rate issue by setting a custom resolution using Nvidia Control Panel and setting that as your desktop resolution before you launch the game.

1920x1079, 2560x1440, 2880x1620, 3200x1800, probably any resolution that only gives you 60hz will do.

The problem is that the game has 1080p but it doesn't let you choose the refresh rate manually, and for some weird reason it just picks the lowest.

Crytek games do the same, but it's much easier to fix there, you just have to alt enter twice (or reset vsync) and it's back to 60.

EDIT: About your edit, the game won't list 1440p, you have to set that as your desktop res and set the game at 1080p fullscreen, it will then run at 60hz

Will this fix my HDMI framerate issue though?

If Triple Buffering is what's required to fix it, are there other ways to enable it through Nvidia?

antitrop

What profile are you guys using for SLI?

I think SLI just kinda works on its own. I have a GTX 590, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to lock 60fps while maxing the game out completely and using 8x MSAA if one of my GPUs was disabled. (Would leave me with an underclocked 580)

Grief.exe

I think SLI just kinda works on its own. I have a GTX 590, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to lock 60fps while maxing the game out completely and using 8x MSAA if one of my GPUs was disabled.

It works, but I get weird usage percentages. Generally the sign of a bad profile.

Its like 80% GPU 1, 30% GPU 2.

Wish I could understand this Nuuvem website.

Talking to you on Steam and here you are!

I've never used it so I don't have any advice for ya.

scitek

Awesome! Thanks. On the subject of Nvidia Inspector, I tried about a dozen different bits for SGSSAA but never found one that worked. Anyone try their hand at SGSSAA yet?

Set the in-game MSAA to whatever SGSSAA you wanna use (2x, 4x, 8x), then in Inspector set it to Enhance instead of Override settings, and set SGSSAA to match the settings of whatever you're using in-game (2x, 4x. or 8x)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The solution to the data size is a tough one, with optional encoding quality (and thus size) the only solution. And I don't know if Steam's pre-load and download framework supports that.

High quality encoded video is fucking huge. Always has been and, looking into the near future, will be for some time. It increases game data size by a significant amount, as evident by other games with 720p+ encoded video like Max Payne 3. In the case of Rising, they'd encoded the videos in two groups: PS3 and X360. The former is best, thanks to the size of bluray. The latter is worse, for obvious reasons.

They chose to go with the highest quality build available. Sucks that it means a shitload of data is just video, but without giving the option prior to download for encoding quality and data size there's not much that can be done.

And both this and Max Payne 3 should be a harsh warning to all PC gamers doing the digital for any future games with a lot of pre-rendered cinematics. Xbox One and PlayStation 4 have the data size now to support 720/1080p native footage alongside game data, and thus PC ports should have them too. And that means game data size is going to explode.

fleck0

After using This Program recommended earlier in the thread to force windowless border, and forcing V-sync in ccc this game is pretty damn fun, glad to finally have Metal Gear return to the PC

Toski

Anybody getting a 1080i signal when selecting 1920x1080? This is on a 7970 with Crossfire disabled.

Edit: I should also add this is through HDMI to a receiver to my TV.

Revven

Not that I'm justifying the behaviour, but eh. Curious buyers are always, always better off getting the widest assortment of opinions possible on games they want, and not just listening to one or two people and their score printed on a page. And off the back of 101, Platinum could probably learn to draw more attention to essential mechanics instead of burying them under other shit.

And even then, Rising does in many ways feel like the roughest of Platinum's games, maybe Max Anarchy and Mad World exceptions. The camera is rubbish and not really excusable. Ninja run fucks up easily on certain terrain. In the grand scheme of things content is pretty sparse, not at all comparable to Bayonetta or Mad World. Graphical quality is mixed throughout. Console build had frame drops. For me personally, the sense that KojiPro fucked up a game, handed it off to Platinum, and they had to get it out quick and fast is evident throughout.

But it's still a very, very fun game regardless.

MGR def. has its issues, I'm not saying it should have gotten like 9s and 10s or that the reviews (ignoring the scores here) should have been absolutely glowing across the board. I just felt like (and still do) it was treated a bit unfairly (same goes for W101) -- and maybe it's deserved in some respect but man... Platinum just can't ever catch a break. D:

I suppose my only real complaints so far are:

A) Obviously the camera

B) The environments feel pretty empty, the game doesn't really encourage exploring for items or anything like that. Seems they just want you to keep going forward, go, go, go.

I actually think both of these things are awesome. I love the go go go feeling of the game, it had made me want them to release Vanquish on PC so I can play it again so bad!

Collecting is crap and repetitive and should be removed from games. Alternate paths and methods to complete things should be built into games like this for many play thoughs.

Personally I don't mind the camera.

Set the in-game MSAA to whatever SGSSAA you wanna use (2x, 4x, 8x), then in Inspector set it to Enhance instead of Override settings, and set SGSSAA to match the settings of whatever you're using in-game (2x, 4x. or 8x)
It's still a little bit blurry when I set it to enhance the ingame AA. Runs at 50ish FPS with 8x SGSSAA on a 780 though, really nice.
iU1KUN352hxic.png

Grief.exe

I would generally disable all of these intro movies that scroll when you start the game, but I love seeing the Platinum and Kojima logos popping up.

Cerity

I want to play revengeance mode to pull off parries perfectly, the window in hard is ridiculously wide.

man fuck minstral and all her little dogshit gekko shits following her around this is fucking bullshit

I'm playing this on hard and actually found her pretty easy, those little minion things drop health packs pretty often.

antitrop

Reading antitrop's posts make me remember how giddy I was playing through the game for the first time. Relish it!

Yeah, I'm going to have to come back and read through all my posts come December GOTY time, because I'm sure within 12 months I'll forget how fucking happy this game made me.

Yeah, I'm going to have to come back and read through all my posts come December GOTY time, because I'm sure within 12 months I'll forget how fucking happy this game made me.

It's a real shame it didn't make many GOTY lists in 2013. At least Wonderful 101 got a bit of love in that regard.

Top Bottom