• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Giacchino posts Clip from Spider-Man Homecoming OST -> Classic Theme

Theecliff

Banned
Nice! Actually, Giachinno would be the most likely composer to have obscure references like that in a score; just as how he used fragments of theme songs from 90s Star Wars game scores in his Rogue One score.
to be clear the only thing using the pizza theme is that twitter reply, not the original video that giachinno posted. i think it's extremely unlikely that this stupid ass meme will get referenced in any way but i would totally lose my shit if it did.

Giacchino gets praise for doing fantastic new themes that pay tribute to old ones. Ignoring the laughable idea that Enterprising Young Men or the new themes in Rogue One are mediocre in any way, Giacchino has done wonderful remixes of old themes like Speed Racer and the 60s Star Trek.

Rogue One had serviceable moments, but many painfully blown ones. Terribly awkward transition into the main theme when the title of the movie was shown onscreen is one example. The other example that comes to mind right away is
at the end after the Vader massacre,
when Vader looks at the Corellian Corvette cruising away
. The Imperial March there was painfully over-the-top and almost seemed to be a parody of itself, killing the climax of the scene (IMO). A more skillful composer could have hit the mark at those crucial spots and been much more consistent in quality & creativity. Oh, a third dropped ball was the confusing avoidance of any actual Episode IV Imperial theme or Imperial March when
the Death Star is revealed after Tarkin's first scene
--- the "bad guy" music for that scene was clumsy, cliche & annoyingly/ineffectively loud.

Actual track parts, for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaEzKRngCyY&list=PLVD09Y3FXZaODg4xYk7KHUf1RZeANfj-C&index=18

1) 0:50 in "Hope" , with the parody Dr Evil rif occurring again between 0:58 to 1:02
2) Just after 3:30 in "A Long Ride Ahead"
3) Beginning of "When Has Become Now" and also after 1:35 to 2:00......the section from 1:50 to 1:55 sounds like a parody again, like Dr Evil should be in the background.

The one part that stands out to me from Rogue One OST that Mike Giacchino got right was the section on Scarif with the underlying drum beat, as they are sneaking around. Also, the stealing plans part --- some pretty good stuff in there. Maybe with more time, he could have smoothed out the rough edges like I mention above --- he definitely was pressed for time since he was hired very late in the game.

I haven't watched any of the Spider-Man films since the first, and I don't care to watch any of the current stream of comic book films, but it was preeeetty cool to hear that nostalgic refrain.

On a side note: after all my years of life, I'm still unsure of what a orchestra conductor is actually doing. I know I've been told they control the tempo or whatever, but dude's hand movements in the clip don't appear related to the song's tempo, volume, or anything as far as I can tell.

Woah woah woah woah woah. Hold up.

rsa8set.gif

Nobody told me Giacchino was all up in this shit.
That 37 second clip just bought my ticket, I'm in.

Refund if only in the credits?

Rogue One had serviceable moments, but many painfully blown ones. Terribly awkward transition into the main theme when the title of the movie was shown onscreen is one example. The other example that comes to mind right away is
. The Imperial March there was painfully over-the-top and almost seemed to be a parody of itself, killing the climax of the scene (IMO). A more skillful composer could have hit the mark at those crucial spots and been much more consistent in quality & creativity. Oh, a third dropped ball was the confusing avoidance of any actual Episode IV Imperial theme or Imperial March when
--- the "bad guy" music for that scene was clumsy, cliche & annoyingly/ineffectively loud.

Actual track parts, for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaEzKRngCyY&list=PLVD09Y3FXZaODg4xYk7KHUf1RZeANfj-C&index=18

1) 0:50 in "Hope" , with the parody Dr Evil rif occurring again between 0:58 to 1:02
2) Just after 3:30 in "A Long Ride Ahead"
3) Beginning of "When Has Become Now" and also after 1:35 to 2:00......the section from 1:50 to 1:55 sounds like a parody again, like Dr Evil should be in the background.

The one part that stands out to me from Rogue One OST that Mike Giacchino got right was the section on Scarif with the underlying drum beat, as they are sneaking around. Also, the stealing plans part --- some pretty good stuff in there. Maybe with more time, he could have smoothed out the rough edges like I mention above --- he definitely was pressed for time since he was hired very late in the game.

Editors also have an impact on score integration and to be frank the editing at the end of Rogue was bad in general.

jb1234

Editors also have an impact on score integration and to be frank the editing at the end of Rogue was bad in general.

I give Giacchino a pass on the elements of Rogue One I didn't like (some of which Pancake listed) because of the pressures of the assignment (lots of cooks, I imagine) and the very limited time he had to compose that much music (being a replacement for Desplat).

The other example that comes to mind right away is

DID YOU KNOW:

The entirety of that first half of hope, the half that culminates in what you called the "over-the-top parody" version of Imperial March

is all Imperial March?

Bet you didn't know that, huh.

(the piece is built on the harmonic skeleton of Imperial March. It does its own thing, but you're basically hearing it for the entirety of the scene, if you don't realize that's what you're hearing)

Also, he didn't play the Episode IV imperial motif when the Death Star is revealed because he was playing The Death Star's actual theme in those moments. The scene is intro'd and outro'd with it.

(he saved the original Imperial Motif for Vader's first appearance because it was originally supposed to be Vader's theme, so he thought that was an appropriate place to reference it, and then blend it with the actual Imperial March)

Fuchsdh

Much better than that Diet-Batman theme we got out of Elfman in the Raimi Spider-Man films.

I would pick Elfman's work over this any day. The clip in the OP is not even an accurate rendition of the show theme (it changes the notes from the 9th onwards.)

DID YOU KNOW:

The entirety of that first half of hope, the half that culminates in what you called the "over-the-top parody" version of Imperial March

is all Imperial March?

Also, he didn't play the Episode IV imperial motif when the Death Star is revealed because he was playing The Death Star's actual theme in those moments. The scene is intro'd and outro'd with it.

(he saved the original Imperial Motif for Vader's first appearance because it was originally supposed to be Vader's theme, so he thought that was an appropriate place to reference it, and then blend it with the actual Imperial March)

If we wanna' get nitpicky, I'd say they shouldn't have used the Imperial March at all since it doesn't actually appear until Ep V.

I give Giacchino a pass on the elements of Rogue One I didn't like (some of which Pancake listed) because of the pressures of the assignment (lots of cooks, I imagine) and the very limited time he had to compose that much music (being a replacement for Desplat).

I mean there's an argument to be made in relation to how well integrated a score is into a film, but a composer isn't an editor and once they provide the score it's still put through the editing motions. The score in Attack of the Clones was edited into the film like a total jackass but the score itself is fantastic.

I guess I can look at a score separate from a film while agreeing it's not edited in well all the time and I generally don't blame the composer for that. If you listen to Rogue's score on it's own, it's pretty fantastic and still has plenty of good stretches in the movie.

Fuchsdh

That wouldn't be nitpicky, that'd just be wrong.

Or rather, I don't see how that reasoning would make any sense at all.

They went through the effort of trying to make the film stylistically fit to Ep IV as much as possible, even downgrading Vader's costume accordingly, so I don't really think it's that much of a stretch.

I can't agree with Desplat's music not working on the Harry Potter films. His work was some of the best in the series and definitely left an impression on me. Obliviate, Lily's Theme and Statues were excellent to name a few. It would have been interesting to hear his Rogue One score, though I was happy with the one Giacchino gave us.

Desplat is easily the worst composer in the Harry Potter series, though. Compared to old heavyweights like Williams and Doyle, and even Hooper, it just doesn't compare.

DID YOU KNOW:

is all Imperial March?

Cool analysis --- thanks for the link.

If he was told to make a new Death Star theme by the Director or Disney, then so be it, but IMO, the Death Star didn't need a new theme, considering the classic themes that John Williams laid out in his classics, which Rogue One was striving to seamlessly merge into. Not a big deal, but the music of a Star Wars film is at least as important as the visuals, and moments like that pulled me out of the movie. I'd like Giacchino to get another crack at a Star Wars film in the future, after some other composers get a chance, and it would be great for him to get more than 6 weeks to write the score.

If we wanna' get nitpicky, I'd say they shouldn't have used the Imperial March at all since it doesn't actually appear until Ep V.

I would have preferred this as well, but the only pass that I give them for this film is that George Lucas had John Williams incorporate the Imperial March into Episodes II and III at some moments. I disagreed with those moments at the time as well, for musical continuity, but since that was thrown out the window 15 years ago, its use in Rogue One doesn't really break continuity .

I absolutely loved that he brought back the often forgotten Death Star/Empire theme from A New Hope and expanded it into a fuller melody.

I guess most people forgot that one the moment Imperial March stole the show but Giacchino's efforts were not lost on me. I really didn't expect it to show up in R1, or in any media again really.

They went through the effort of trying to make the film stylistically fit to Ep IV as much as possible, even downgrading Vader's costume accordingly, so I don't really think it's that much of a stretch.

Still doesn't really make any sense to me.

You have the music, use it if you think you can make it fit.

That this movie was the first since 77 to even include the Imperial motif (outside of the few times it was tracked in for Jedi - same w/ the Death Star theme) and that a new motif was created, to bridge all three together - I think that was a very good approach, and executed very well.

I'm sorta surprised some enterprising young Youtuber hasn't written their own medley merging all three into a single concert piece.

If he was told to make a new Death Star theme by the Director or Disney, then so be it, but IMO, the Death Star didn't need a new theme

He didn't make the Death Star a new theme. The Death Star has the same theme it always had.

He created a new Imperial theme, to go along with the new Imperials as introduced in the film (Krennic/Death Troopers) and that's what you're hearing before the Death Star theme kicks in. But that isn't the Death Star's "new theme."

He created a similar new bit of music to associate with The Force because of the Guardians of the Whills as introduced in the movie. Doesn't mean he wrote a "new Force theme." The Force Theme/Ben's Theme is still in the movie as well. Along with the Rebel Fanfare and even, in a couple instances, Luke's Theme/Main Theme.

I mean there's an argument to be made in relation to how well integrated a score is into a film, but a composer isn't an editor and once they provide the score it's still put through the editing motions. The score in Attack of the Clones was edited into the film like a total jackass but the score itself is fantastic.

Great to hear someone else call this out! Episode II score was amazing and the editors butchered it terribly. They even cut one of the finest Star Wars moments John Williams ever composed at the end of the OST end credits track. The entire tale of Anakin Skywalker is told musically, starting with a whimsical, lazy version of young Anakin's theme, transitioning to the Episode II love theme, and then seemingly about to resolve with a flute line like in the end of Leia's theme, but then it goes minor key and there is the very subtle Imperial March in low strings before ending with a harp. The editors cut that completely out and it never played in the actual movie end credits. Would love to find out whose brilliant decision that was

jb1234

I guess I can look at a score separate from a film while agreeing it's not edited in well all the time and I generally don't blame the composer for that. If you listen to Rogue's score on it's own, it's pretty fantastic and still has plenty of good stretches in the movie.

Yeah, without having the sheet music in front of me, it's basically impossible to tell what the composer intended for a scene and what actually ended up on there.

Desplat is easily the worst composer in the Harry Potter series, though. Compared to old heavyweights like Williams and Doyle, and even Hooper, it just doesn't compare.

I guess you can argue on taste but in terms of sheer technical skill, Desplat is a significantly better composer than Hooper (at the very least).

Great to hear someone else call this out! Episode II score was amazing and the editors butchered it terribly. They even cut one of the finest Star Wars moments John Williams ever composed at the end of the OST end credits track. The entire tale of Anakin Skywalker is told musically, starting with a whimsical, lazy version of young Anakin's theme, transitioning to the Episode II love theme, and then seemingly about to resolve with a flute line like in the end of Leia's theme, but then it goes minor key and there is the very subtle Imperial March in low strings before ending with a harp. The editors cut that completely out and it never played in the actual movie end credits. Would love to find out whose brilliant decision that was

When I watch Clones, the whole climax and the music editing drives me goddamned BONKERS. It's like you have all this epic shit and ZERO ORIGINAL MUSIC. it's all literally from TPM. There's even a track on the soundtrack called The Arena that wasn't used-- just the first part with the swelling love theme. And guess what? They used THAT track in ROTS.

WillyFive

Not sure I like the idea of having a conversation where we are upset that Giachinno made new themes and music for Rogue One, or more accurately, didn't reuse popular Williams themes enough.

Anyway, just like with Rogue One, Speed Racer, Jurassic World and Star Trek, although the original themes from previous incarnations might show up at some point, I expect the vast majority of the music to be original themes made by himself.

how did we go from spiderman to star wars dweeb shit

Film Score GAFers don't get too many thread opportunities to vent --- we take what we can get :cool:

When I watch Clones, the whole climax and the music editing drives me goddamned BONKERS. It's like you have all this epic shit and ZERO ORIGINAL MUSIC. it's all literally from TPM. There's even a track on the soundtrack called The Arena that wasn't used-- just the first part with the swelling love theme. And guess what? They used THAT track in ROTS.

Yeah, and of all scenes, they used it for the storming of the Jedi Temple ---- WTF??? I can't bring myself to believe that John Williams signed off on that creative decision.

jb1234

Yeah, and of all scenes, they used it for the storming of the Jedi Temple ---- WTF??? I can't bring myself to believe that John Williams signed off on that creative decision.

He probably didn't have a say in it. Composers aren't generally a part of the editing process. I can't imagine the look on his face when he showed up for the Phantom Menace premiere and heard what they did to his score throughout the entire climax.

And that's my point, composers give music but in instances it's down to the editors to mesh it well. That music also played during the Separatist assault on Kashyyyk.

Composer gets a cut of the film, they score, then it's tweaked until theatrical release. If a track doesn't flow or work too well it's not all the time the fault of the composer as the film is WELL out of their hands.

WillyFive

The prequel movies were edited heavily in post production after John Williams made their scores. The most infamous example is the entire last act of The Phantom Menace, where most of his score had to be re-edited and cut to fit the entirely new cut of the movie. For example, the vast majority of Duel of the Fates as written for the movie was cut out of the film, instead the concert-style CD version was used to finish the cut.

The original Duel of the Fates written for the film, for example, is far more intense.

watershed

Banned
Still doesn't really make any sense to me.

You have the music, use it if you think you can make it fit.

That this movie was the first since 77 to even include the Imperial motif (outside of the few times it was tracked in for Jedi - same w/ the Death Star theme) and that a new motif was created, to bridge all three together - I think that was a very good approach, and executed very well.

I'm sorta surprised some enterprising young Youtuber hasn't written their own medley merging all three into a single concert piece.

He didn't make the Death Star a new theme. The Death Star has the same theme it always had.

He created a new Imperial theme, to go along with the new Imperials as introduced in the film (Krennic/Death Troopers) and that's what you're hearing before the Death Star theme kicks in. But that isn't the Death Star's "new theme."

He created a similar new bit of music to associate with The Force because of the Guardians of the Whills as introduced in the movie. Doesn't mean he wrote a "new Force theme." The Force Theme/Ben's Theme is still in the movie as well. Along with the Rebel Fanfare and even, in a couple instances, Luke's Theme/Main Theme.
Great details but where was the Death Star theme or Imperial theme from ANH tracked into Jedi? It's been a long time since I've watched Jedi and I can't recall.

And a Del Toro film near the end of the year! Desplat's drama scores are frequently very beautiful but I greatly enjoy it when he goes all epic with a huge orchestra.

I love him in both. I'm a fan of Giacchino, but I won't deny that Desplat is the far superior / more versatile composer. It helps that he does a variety of films whereas Giacchino seems content with mostly doing blockbusters, not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that.

Yeah sorry I guess I wasn't necessarily trying to explain it to you as you seemed to have been saying the same thing, just... expanding on it I guess? Anyway sorry if the tone felt belittling or something, we're on the same page. :p

It's fine. I didn't assume you were trying to insult me or anything.

Great details but where was the Death Star theme or Imperial theme from ANH tracked into Jedi? It's been a long time since I've watched Jedi and I can't recall.

I can't recall either myself. I think the death-star theme may have shown up when the new death star first introduced, but it doesn't appear to be on any of the album releases.

Desplat was following the obvious Zimmer temptracking though. There were some very good non action cues, and I'd say Sky Attack was up until The Monuments Men, some of the most Williamseque writing of his career.

Tragically, that level of craftsmanship and training isn't something that's particularly appreciated in contemporary film scoring.

(And I like Giacchino but he's nowhere near Goldsmith or Williams.)

He's nowhere near as versatile as either as well I'll admit, which can probably be explained by the fact that he didn't have exactly have the same kind of classical training. For example he'll probably never a year like Goldsmith in 78, who scored five films (Coma, Damien Omen II, The Swarm, The Boys From Brazil, Magic), and while these scores all share similar ideas, they are very distinguishable from each other.

If I have any issues with Giacchino (and I've pointed this out before), it's that I think he does way too many blockbusters. He'd be better served by something smaller. The last film of his that would count as that would be This Is Where I Leave You and much like 50 / 50, that was a fairly sparse score.

jb1234

I love him in both. I'm a fan of Giacchino, but I don't want deny that Desplat is the far superior / more versatile composer. It helps that he does a bunch of blockbusters whereas Giacchino seems content with mostly doing blockbusters, not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that.

Yeah, Desplat has the greater chops, for sure. A lot of people think that his music sounds cold and clinical and I couldn't disagree more. Some of his best dramatic scores ache with emotion (like The Light Between Oceans and The Painted Vale). He's just very precise with his orchestrations and that seems to rub some the wrong way. But I come from a classical music background so I'm used to that shit, haha.

Servbot24

Banned
That was really good :O

I honestly don't remember a single song from an MCU movie. This will be the first one, though it's kind of cheating.

Yeah, Desplat has the greater chops, for sure. A lot of people think that his music sounds cold and clinical and I couldn't disagree more. Some of his best dramatic scores ache with emotion (like The Light Between Oceans and The Painted Vale). He's just very precise with his orchestrations and that seems to rub some the wrong way. But I come from a classical music background so I'm used to that shit, haha.

His music isn't for very everyone I'll admit, and I can't say I love it all, but there's something great about a modern film composer who knows how to compose "quiet" & creates very beautiful melodies at the same, without feeling the need to make everything seemingly sound "epic" all the time. Most of the greatest film composers of the past were also masters at same kind of thing.

BTW some of my favorites from Desplat include The Grand Budapest Hotel, The Monuments Men, The Golden Compass, Godzilla, Birth, The Light Between The Oceans, and so on.

Anth0ny

this should be in the film's intro/first time spidey does something awesome and all over the commercials

MCU needs more memorable music.

jb1234

His music isn't for very everyone I'll admit, and I can't say I love it all, but there's something great about a modern film composer who knows how to compose "quiet" & creates very beautiful melodies at the same, without feeling the need to make everything seemingly sound "epic" all the time. Most of the greatest film composers of the past were also masters at same kind of thing.

BTW some of my favorites from Desplat include The Grand Budapest Hotel, The Monuments Men, The Golden Compass, Godzilla, Birth, The Light Between The Oceans, and so on.

Yeah, I like most of those quite a bit. Also, The Ghost Writer, Cheri, Rise of the Guardians and The Imitation Game. Crap, now I'll have to do a Desplat Spotify binge!

Yeah, I like most of those quite a bit. Also, The Ghost Writer, Cheri, Rise of the Guardians and The Imitation Game. Crap, now I'll have to do a Desplat Spotify binge!

Rise of The Guardians & The Monuments Men show a lot of versatility too, and are probably among his easiest scores to get into I'd say. Now that you mentioned that I'm off to do some Desplat listening myself. Cheers!

Yep. Another miss.

I don't understand the praise for this guy.

tumblr_nqj8wxph2u1s2wio8o1_500.gif

Giacchino ain't no James Horner. Yeesh.

Yeah, in no way at all.

I don't get the praise either. Like compared to the greats like Horner or Goldsmith or Zimmer or Morricone or Williams or Shore or...really anyone, I just never get it. It just sounds like background, never enough to really grab onto, nothing really memorable. I know people praise his Trek score, but ehh....compare that to Wrath of Khan or Motion Picture score, it doesn't even register.

Top Bottom