• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michel Ancel and Rayman dev team show up at fan(?) protest RE: Rayman Legends delay

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Even if this a sign from a fan, the fact that Ancel and some of the team (in the second picture) agreed to have that picture taken means that they approve the message on that sign. So let's not pretend that this is only some innocent joke.

If it was coming out this month, I would buy it no question. There will be too much coming out in the fall to worry about Rayman that will be $20 by next spring.

wrowa

THIS. This thread is *VERY* misleading and completely misrepresents what the developers of the game were actually doing.

Well, do we know? What's the actual source of the images? This thread links to Eurogamer, but I don't see a mention on there where they did it get from.

lol i didn't realise the Guillemot "chains" in the bottom right ...

Now that's clearly someone who is pissed ...

Still waiting for the next move by "guilemot"

AniHawk

Even if this a sign from a fan, the fact that Ancel and some of the team (in the second picture) agreed to have that picture taken means that they approve the message on that sign. So let's not pretend that this is only some innocent joke.

ancel's a pretty cool guy who appreciates his fans and seems like a nice guy in general. unless it turns out he's secretly megahitler, i think i'll be a blind supporter forever.

broken record at this point, but i saw him at e3 2011 and was starstruck, but i asked him for a picture (of him). and then he suggested we take a picture together. and then he suggested we take a picture together in the rayman/globox thing at the ubisoft booth. that's the sort of thing a crazed fan might request of him, and that he suggested it and went that far was extremely nice.

True. Although i think that this situation here (new Console etc) is a bit different and i do think that the delay as a viable move to sell more copies of this particular game.

On what basis? A. You have the furor already caused because of the sudden delay B. You have a game now releasing on EOL consoles with successors releasing just months later (and, ATM, no confirmation that said title will be playable on the new platforms, esp in Sony's case). C. Even disregarding the effects of A and B entirely, you're releasing the game in a Fall quarter with packed with Sports releases, BF4, CoD 26 1/2, GTAV, Nintendo's own overshadowing Wii-U first party releases, and whatever other currently unannounced titles which may be releasing in the same time frame. It's a questionable business decision at best, and a disappointing set of circumstances for what was once a promising title.

and march is pretty crowded with monster hunter, need for speed, and other late ports and games found on other systems.

None of which have nearly the selling/pulling power of any of the aforementioned titles. But you already knew that.

Sipowicz

Banned
There's not much point in releasing it now tbh

Everyone will have other stuff to play in September and the sales potential this had on the Wii U (small as its install base is) has gone.

The tragedy is that the developers will be blamed by Ubisoft management for Ubisoft management's mistakes.

I'm hoping that eventually Ancel and his collegues find a home with a company that appreciates their talents, or branch out on their own. That would be the best outcome for everyone, because this game is not going to do well at all.

Hoping that Patrice Désilets can find a way out as well

Pretty pathetic for a development team. If I was the CEO, I'd let them go after they were done.

While firing is likely too harsh, I actually tend to side with this post that it's not the greatest move from the dev team. You can't do this sort of thing against your employer. I appreciate their passion, but this reflects negatively on Ubisoft and perhaps pressures the company into making a statement/action it didn't want to. Plus, it might've had a perfectly good business reason to make the delay. Don't get me wrong - this is cool for consumers and all, but I'm just looking at it from the business/employee perspective. I also don't really agree with the positive publicity angle; it's negative for Ubisoft as a whole.

Kimawolf

The freerayman hashtag went on fire since Michel Ancel gave us his support.

Assistant: "Sir there are protests, even Michael Ancel is supporting it, twitter is going crazy, they are starving for games!!"

Yves looks down at the protest with a grin on his face "Qu'ils mangent de la brioche,"

DaBoss

ancel's a pretty cool guy who appreciates his fans and seems like a nice guy in general. unless it turns out he's secretly megahitler, i think i'll be a blind supporter forever.

broken record at this point, but i saw him at e3 2011 and was starstruck, but i asked him for a picture (of him). and then he suggested we take a picture together. and then he suggested we take a picture together in the rayman/globox thing at the ubisoft booth. that's the sort of thing a crazed fan might request of him, and that he suggested it and went that far was extremely nice.

Wow, that was really cool of him to do.

NotLiquid

THIS. This thread is *VERY* misleading and completely misrepresents what the developers of the game were actually doing.

While they posed for the fans, there's still dev members and the frontman of your entire development team right there posing for you in front of the studio for what everyone knows will spread onto the internet and benefit this entire movement.

It's still effectively doing the same thing. They're promoting the fan support.

Neiteio

That is seriously so cool. :D

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Assistant: "Sir there are protests, even Michael Ancel is supporting it, twitter is going crazy, they are starving for games!!"

Yves looks down at the protest with a grin on his face "Qu'ils mangent de la brioche,"
img_50691_les-inconnus-le-peuple-a-faim.jpg

(french private joke!)

LIES, GODDAMNIT THE LIES!!

LIES!!

How often are fans able to get together an entire dev team to hold a protest sign that bashes their boss, just for a photo, all just for fun...?

I can't just call up Tim Schafer and pay a visit for some team photos.

evangd007

The freerayman hashtag went on fire since Michel Ancel gave us his support.

I've created a monster.

While firing is likely too harsh, I actually tend to side with this post that it's not the greatest move from the dev team. You can't do this sort of thing against your employer. I appreciate their passion, but this reflects negatively on Ubisoft and perhaps pressures the company into making a statement/action it didn't want to. Plus, it might've had a perfectly good business reason to make the delay. Don't get me wrong - this is cool for consumers and all, but I'm just looking at it from the business/employee perspective. I also don't really agree with the positive publicity angle; it's negative for Ubisoft as a whole.

If you know the way that Ubisoft has treated Montpellier in the recent past, you'd realize that they couldn't possibly do anything worse to them than what they are doing already.

Ponn

Banned
Oh Shit they're releasing this in September...

GTAV...

Jesus, Dead on Arrival/Delay

This is why my mouth is literally dropped open in disbelief at the people actually defending Ubisoft and worse saying it was the best decision. It is such a monumentally stupid move that anyone should be able to see. Release the HD twin ports with no marketing, better yet at budget price and cleanup some impulse buys and those that wanted it no matter what. Now you have the Wii U version going up against holiday games, whatever first party Nintendo games are released for Wii U and a disgruntled install base. And all three versions going against new console launches, GTA V, COD, Battlefield, possibly Bungie Destiny and Ubisofts own Assassins game. Which no amount of marketing will help against that onslaught. They cut of their nose to save a toe nail.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
On what basis? A. You have the furor already caused because of the sudden delay B. You have a game now releasing on EOL consoles with successors releasing just months later (and, ATM, no confirmation that said title will be playable on the new platforms, esp in Sony's case). C. Even disregarding the effects of A and B entirely, you're releasing the game in a Fall quarter with packed with Sports releases, BF4, CoD 26 1/2, GTAV, Nintendo's own overshadowing Wii-U first party releases, and whatever other currently unannounced titles which may be releasing in the same time frame. It's a questionable business decision at best, and a disappointing set of circumstances for what was once a promising title.

A. How many WiiU owners actually know that the game was supposed to release this month. I think a small minority of "hardcore" gamers. Wii showed that casuals have the buying power, and they don't surf the web for gaming news... at least Rayman related news.
B. 140million install base is not going to just dissolve to thin air because a successor is released.
C. 140million user base with lots of games releasing + Wii U user base > WiiU install base
If you market a game, market it once for 14xmillion users not two times with less money to back the individual marketing endeavors.

Thats how i see it at least.

Zaventem

All a plot to give the game more attention.It'll launch a 1-3 months later.This is the most press this has ever gotten.. suppose it's not a bad thing.

Linkhero1

Respect +1

All a plot to give the game more attention.It'll launch a 1-3 months later.This is the most press this has ever gotten.. suppose it's not a bad thing.

This, this whole debaucle has been a massive free bit of publicity for this game. If they now release it sooner rather than later it will be treated as a 'victory' and get the game even more press prompting even more sales and placating those who would have boycotted the game. Win/win situation really.

You can't actually release late on Xbox 360 and you can't release late on PS3 without exclusive content.
Is this the contractual thing mentioned earlier? I thought big, bad Nintendo was the only one who pushed third parties around and that Sony/MS was all lovey-dovey with them?

cue far worse business practices by Nintendo :lol

Nairume

Banned
B. 140million install base is not going to just dissolve to thin air because a successor is released.
C. 140million user base with lots of games releasing + Wii U user base > WiiU install base
If you market a game, market it once for 14xmillion users not two times with less money to back the individual marketing endeavors.

You are ignoring two big factors.

A) Even though the WiiU userbase will be larger this September, so will the number of games on the system. While it is true that the max number of potential players would have been lower if the game released this month, it would have been better able to stand out to all those players as the only major retail release of this month (as the only other major release, Fist of the North Star 2, is an eShop exclusive) and during a time when people are chomping at the bit for something new. Now it's going to launch against everything on the WiiU that is coming out starting next month and all throughout the summer, ending with Zelda. So, it's going to release to more people, but also to more people who are starting to get other stuff to play.

B) 140+ million users isn't going to do Rayman all that good when the vast majority of them are going to have their attention on stuff like GTA and everything else coming out this fall....which is the same thing that happened to the last game.

Ponn

Banned
A. How many WiiU owners actually know that the game was supposed to release this month. I think a small minority of "hardcore" gamers. Wii showed that casuals have the buying power, and they don't surf the web for gaming news... at least Rayman related news.

This is the type of shortsighted management/exec thinking that enables these bad decisons. You are obviously still releasing the ports to whatever they can manage to sell in Sept but you dont hold up the finished Wii U version which was in a great position to move units to a horrible position. With minimal marketing now to an install base starved to see a new game on the shelf. A portion of which wouldnt even have bought it normally if given other options, see it all the time with new consoles.

Why can't employees do this? Or should employers (i.e. big corporation in this cause) control everything while their workers have no say?

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.

With the lack of marketing, I don't think "casual" users even know what the WiiU is yet. The majority of early adopters tend to be gaming enthusiasts. Besides, you only have to turn on the console to see the comments about the delay in WaraWara Plaza. They're literally unmissable.

slit

I'd laugh so hard, if they planned to release this all along.

They just did it to give the game some spotlight.

Top Bottom