• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft registers Microsoft-Sony.com and Sony-Microsoft.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinci

Danish
Krev said:
I hear this often, but it's total nonsense. Nintendo is a 120 year old company. They haven't been making hardware forever. They've adapted before, and they can adapt again. They're not so proud that they'll destroy themselves rather than make huge profit by leveraging their IP and developers, should such a thing become necessary.

Um... they make obscene profit on their hardware. They will not give up that ability to sell their products on others' consoles. It would make them less successful. And there is no sign that doing so would ever be a necessity.

FyreWulff

Violater said:
Cross platform multiplayer you fools!!

Currently possible between Wii(Wii U)/PS3/PC. Microsoft is the holdout with the Live walled garden.

If the Wii had been a bit more beefy, you'd have probably saw Unreal Tournament 3 playable across Wii/PS3/PC.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
I'd love to see consoles move towards a DVD/Blu-ray cabal-like model. At this point, I think the benefits from having multiple distinct platforms in this market are pretty slim as a consumer. I strongly suspect that there is much greater benefit to be had in standardizing the software development environment.

FyreWulff said:
Currently possible between Wii(Wii U)/PS3/PC. Microsoft is the holdout with the Live walled garden.

If the Wii had been a bit more beefy, you'd have probably saw Unreal Tournament 3 playable across Wii/PS3/PC.

What Wii game has cross platform play?

wsippel

Banned
Those domains make absolutely no sense for WP7 on SE phones, Microsoft software on Bravia TVs, cross platform multiplayer, anything related to Sony Music or Sony Pictures or any other similar trivial shit. They'd use the brands in those cases, not the company names.

DryvBy

-WindYoshi- said:
I would love a Sony and MS merger on the console front! It would make everything so much simpler!

Trust me - a merge is never any good and bad for consumers.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
megashock5 said:
It would hurt competition. This gen, Sony wanted to sell you a crazy-spec $600 machine, Nintendo wanted to sell you a moderately powered $250 with a whole new interface.

There's no way those two machines are going to play the same game the way DVD players play the same movies. All of the manufacturers would have to agree on at least some baseline standards.
That's what is being proposed. DVD and Blu-Ray are standards that were decided upon by a consortium of major studios and electronics manufacturers.
It takes the focus away from hardware competition, at least once we get a few years into a generation. HD-DVD/Blu-Ray and VHS/Betamax like battles would be inevitable as the format was established, I suppose.
megashock5 said:
That approach was tried it back in the 3DO days. The machines were too expensive for most consumers, which is bad for the industry if that's the only option. Right now you have choices, which is a good thing.
3DO was one company deciding to force this approach down the public's throat and teaming up with other manufacturers. It didn't have the support of all the major players, so it's not really comparable to this hypothetical scenario.
The platform would be expensive at first, but would become mass-market affordable over an extended period of time, as was the case with DVD and Blu-Ray players.
DjangoReinhardt said:
I'd love to see consoles move towards a DVD/Blu-ray cabal-like model. At this point, I think the benefits from having multiple distinct platforms in this market are pretty slim as a consumer. I strongly suspect that there is much greater benefit to be had in standardizing the software development environment.
Exactly. I think we'd see much more widespread adoption of gaming platforms, and the boundaries of gaming would expand. I also think less dick-swinging between platform-holders would create a more healthy environment for innovative software.
Vinci said:
Um... they make obscene profit on their hardware. They will not give up that ability to sell their products on others' consoles. It would make them less successful. And there is no sign that doing so would ever be a necessity.
I'm talking about a hypothetical scenario in the far future. I made my comment because I've seen people say things like, 'Nintendo would rather go out of the games business than release software for another platform', which is obviously nonsense.
Obviously none of this will matter anytime soon, since Nintendo are the only consistently profitable of the big three, even in (relative) failure.

FyreWulff

Inferno313 said:
What Wii game has cross platform play?

It's possible, but I don't know of a game offhand that does. I remember a game or two that let you run a server on PC for a Wii game without jumping through the XServer hoops that MS does for Live.

Nintendo and Sony don't really care what you do with your online mode in regards to cross platform. You're pretty much on your own for infrastructure on both Wii and PS3.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
DryvBy2 said:
Trust me - a merge is never any good and bad for consumers.

I think this time you'd be wrong, there would still be competition in the industry, and we the consumers would get the best of both Sony and MS.

paskowitz said:
Imagine what Sony's first parties could do for MS exclusives and vise versa? If T10 and PD both developed a driving game, I think it would just about shit on everything. They both do well what the other does not.

Or they might bump heads and clash only to release the next-gen version of this:

medium_arghmyeyes.jpg

Paertan

Hmm sort of want them to do a console together but then of course competition is good for the prices and new ideas.

Gravijah

Deadly Cyclone said:
I think this time you'd be wrong, there would still be competition in the industry, and we the consumers would get the best of both Sony and MS.

Or we could get an over-designed console with over-designed features and pay over-designed money!

ElRenoRaven

Gravijah said:
Or we could get an over-designed console with over-designed features and pay over-designed money!
Or if they do that you can pay real money and buy the new Nintendo console for less. Yea. Damn that whole free choice thing that can keep them in check.

Krev said:
That's what is being proposed. DVD and Blu-Ray are standards that were decided upon by a consortium of major studios and electronics manufacturers.
It takes the focus away from hardware competition, at least once we get a few years into a generation. HD-DVD/Blu-Ray and VHS/Betamax like battles would be inevitable as the format was established, I suppose.

I know, that's what I'm saying. So, first of all, could you ever get all of the console manufacturers to agree on specs/standards when Nintendo and Sony/MS want vastly different things? If they're all going to run the same games, they'd have to be close in power (aside from additional non-gaming features), so how much could the price really vary?

As I said, Sony put out a $600 machine and lost money on it, Nintendo sold a $250 box and took in a huge profit. How could these two companies EVER agree on a standard?

And if they did, it would likely be too expensive for the mass market or not powerful enough for tech-heads.

Vinci

Danish
megashock5 said:
As I said, Sony put out a $600 machine and lost money on it, Nintendo sold a $250 box and took in a huge profit. How could these two companies EVER agree on a standard?

And if they did, it would likely be too expensive for the mass market or not powerful enough for tech-heads.

I think you're missing the part where Sony is never, ever, going to do that nonsense again.

Revolver

I wouldn't mind a joint super console in theory. But in reality things never work out that way. I just can't see these two companies working smoothly together on something so big. It's probably some cross promotion deal the two are cooking up for laptops or a music service or something along those lines.

erlim said:
What, why? We're all going to be dead by then.

Dam good reason why they should do it (if they want to) in that time frame, i most likely would be dead and i don't plan on seeing it happen. When big companies like this form an alliance it's never a good thing, they might never come to an agreement and when they do the end result will most likely be shite. So bring it on in 30 years (or 40) when am most likely dead.

Pociask

One console future whee!

Probably has been already said, but while a single standard formula would probably be bad for the consumer, I don't know why a minimum standard couldn't be succesful. PC games have had sliders for ever. What's to stop developers in a console-standard situation from doing just that? In other words, game X will play on machines A, B, and C(but may look better or have alternate control inputs on those machines?) As an added benefit, your shiny new game will keep working, just looking even shinier the next time you upgrade.

alphaNoid

Banned
FyreWulff said:

MS has games that are cross platform between 360 and PC. They've had them for several years now.

Raoh

I was thinking about and..

1. Phones. While sony loves android, they are a hardware company, can run any phone os they want.

2. A while back many game industry leaders shouted from the mountain tops about a one console generation. Sony hardware with microsoft OS/Servers doesn't sound bad to me.

3. This one is a little more out there. Enemy of my Enemy is my Friend. A partnership between sony and microsoft could introduce thin client hardware to run windows 8 in the corporate environment. Things between microsoft and desktop manufacturers (HP/Dell) have been a bit shaky. I could see Microsoft cutting hp/dell out and working with another company to put in dedicated microsoft co branded dummy terminals to run visualized environments.

just my .02 cents

Krev said:
I'm talking about a hypothetical scenario in the far future. I made my comment because I've seen people say things like, 'Nintendo would rather go out of the games business than release software for another platform', which is obviously nonsense.
Obviously none of this will matter anytime soon, since Nintendo are the only consistently profitable of the big three, even in (relative) failure.
While I'm for your idea and actually like it because console exclusives are becoming increasingly annoying in today's videogame market with genres of videogames becoming almost split up to which console you purchase. Nintendo will not go for this idea anytime in the near future. Their two biggest strengths which sell their hardware(and they make a lot of their money from) is their unique and innovative(or gimmicky depending on your view) hardware and their 1st party franchises. If all systems can play all of the same software and all of the hardware needs to be at the same basic level of power and control inputs than that throws Nintendo's biggest strengths out the window. Going by your theory the main differentiators between products would be price, online services and the system's OS. If there is a baseline with power, Nintendo loses because Microsoft, Sony and whatever other big tech company can get cheaper and easier parts than Nintendo can. Online services and OS are also one of Nintendo's biggest weaknesses. That's why I don't see Nintendo going along with it.

In theory, I do like it because it would benefit consumers and third parties. As well as likely broaden the consumer/videogame base. Unless Sony, Microsoft and what ever other company go along with the idea and Nintendo suffers a severe loss in market share, I don't see Nintendo agreeing to the idea.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
megashock5 said:
I know, that's what I'm saying. So, first of all, could you ever get all of the console manufacturers to agree on specs/standards when Nintendo and Sony/MS want vastly different things?
No one would get exactly what they want as the core set of specs in every likelihood. They'll have to compromise and there will be incentives for them to do so. Each company's R&D costs should go down in this model, for instance. There should be wide latitude to release peripherals, though.
megashock5 said:
If they're all going to run the same games, they'd have to be close in power (aside from additional non-gaming features), so how much could the price really vary?
Quite a bit. It happens in almost every other consumer market. A Honda Fit and an Acura ZDX fundamentally do the same thing, but the cost for the latter is considerably higher. Economies of scale would be a much bigger factor in this scenario for the core components than they are under the current model. There is far more incentive to be smart about your design and efficient about your manufacturing compared to now - the hardware manufacturers would be much more accountable to the market.
megashock5 said:
I suspect that the third-party publishers need to get together and exert pressure to make this happen. It would go a long way if they told the industry, "Multiple platforms drive up our costs, consumer costs, stifle software innovation, and only benefit three companies. We're done with it. We're all only making games for the new standard."
megashock5 said:
Tech-heads have PCs. The vast majority of consumers want buying and playing games to be as simple as possible. Hopefully, the consortium would be smart enough to include third-party publishers and developers in the discussion about the balance between cost and power at the outset, rather than let a crackpot executive make suicidal proclamations from the mountaintop.

alphaNoid

Banned
Magic Ovaries said:
Why does everyone believe that these domain names are related to videoganes?
People lots of people here have no clue that MS and Sony do business together every day outside of video games. They assume they are arch rivals to the bitter end, and they assume wrong.

MechDX said:
Playstation X

Hardware by Sony, Dev tools and online by MS and they both release a controller for it.

I would buy it.
Yo, I'm with this dude.

Xbots and Sotards will be like the Brady Bunch.

DjangoReinhardt said:
Quite a bit. It happens in almost every other consumer market. A Honda Fit and an Acura ZDX fundamentally do the same thing, but the cost for the latter is considerably higher.

Most of your post is good stuff, but this example doesn't really work.

The Fit and ZDX are similar in the fact that they are cars, hold a certain number of people, have a stereo and so on. The power/performance is vastly different.

So a PS3 and a V-Tech V-Smile are both home game consoles that hook up to your TV and play games with a controller, but there's no way they'll play the same games.

There can be other factors that affect price such as Blu-ray, built-in WiFi, ports, streaming media, etc. - but the horsepower for the actual games would need to be similar.

The whole scenario is possible but I'll be surprised to ever see it happen, at least as long as Nintendo is around. They're in the business of selling hardware and they make software to do that. What incentive is there to buy the Nintendo box if all games play on all systems? (aside from build quality, that is)

alphaNoid said:
People lots of people here have no clue that MS and Sony do business together every day outside of video games. They assume they are arch rivals to the bitter end, and they assume wrong.

Yeah, Sony and Microsoft are pretty good friends in the PC world.

I would like a console standard between the two of them. Next gen, if anyone blinks they are not third place, they run the risk of longer competing at all due to dev costs and diverging technologies. Smarter and safer to do a partnership where both can sell their version of the hardware on a unified standard, just like DVD or Blu Ray.

Not to say this is going to happen but it would create a far more stable industry with larger profits, larger single userbase, and tech growth all around.

maybe they could do something awesome for everyone like work tougher to make sure the ps4 and xbox 3 will have common tools and hardware so devs dont have to spend so much time and money designed everything from scratch on each platform.

Like if the ps3 and ps4 could run XNA and the 360 could run sonys edge tool stuff.

they would still have graphical features specially designed for each system but they both have a common base making multiplat development alot easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom