• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft registers Microsoft-Sony.com and Sony-Microsoft.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vorg

Banned
Billychu said:
PC.jpg

??????????

Am I being trolled or what?

What you don't seem to get is this. Most people don't want to deal with the imaginary hassle of playing on a pc. That's it. Plain and simple. As proven by the success of console gaming people want a box they can connect to their tv in which to just insert the disc and play. Lots of people don't even know how to use internet explorer to check e-mail, let alone install and run pc games.

Opiate

-viper- said:
A joint console by Sony and Microsoft would mean I would need to spend less money.

It would mean I have access to exclusive games from both publishers.

Can't see anything bad in that.

Extreme market power, disincentive for innovation, and very high barriers to entry. Those are the downsides that conglomerates/monopolies cause.

There are always upsides to conglomeration/oligopolization, too. Let's use one of my previous examples, "big pharma." Today, the research and testing of new drugs often costs hundreds of millions of dollars for a single drug. Sometimes, those drugs don't pan out, and kaboom, there goes your money. Obviously, small companies cannot possibly afford to work on such projects, by definition, so that's a benefit to large, multi-billion-dollar pharma companies. As another example, let's take films. Most people decry hollywood for its lack of creativity -- and it is true that there are only 5-6 companies total that make virtually every movie you see in theatres. But smaller companies couldn't produce the big, special effect extravaganzas that so many here and elsewhere seem to love. So again, if you love "blockbuster" movies, there are advantages to the monopoly power Universal, Fox etc. wield.

In all these cases, there are upsides. In all these cases, the downsides are; consolidated market power, disincentive for innovation, and high barriers to entry. If you don't think those downsides matter -- as you imply in your post above -- then congratulations, you are now thinking like a corporatist and a Repulican, if you weren't one already.

And again, there's nothing wrong with being a corporatist, or a Republican. There are reasonable arguments for both of those philosophies. I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy in those individuals who decry Republicans and big corporations while anxiously hoping for two of the biggest tech conglomerates in the world to join forces to make an even bigger tech conglomerate so that they can raise the barriers to entry even higher and consolidate market power even further.

Tenck

Smision said:
I'm fine with this. Nintendo can go 3rd party for them and it will be the perfect console.

Nintendo is the most profitable. Sony and Microsoft should go third party and develop for Nintendo so they can have some nice profits.

I've posted this point numerous times in other threads.

Microsoft never really wanted into the Hardware Console space - they simply wanted to make sure that whatever console 'owned the livingroom' had their OS and software as a dependency.

They tried this with Dreamcast (Windows CE OS), but of course PS2 was the behemoth, and they entered the ring with Xbox instead.

I've always maintained that if MS could persuade Sony to delegate all the software-side to them then Xbox would vanish in a second. Of course, now with Kinect and the current 360 positioning I'm not so sure.

But the fact remains - MS are a software company, Sony are a hardware company; there is potential synergy there.

Maybe the PSN experience has forced Sony's hand a bit?

leroidys

A Microsoft-sony hookup would be in the runnings for most poorly managed company ever. I can't see any way that they could make a merger work seeing as how legendarily bad both microsoft and sony are at communicating internally.

I'm sure these domains mean nothing though.

Raoh

gollumsluvslave said:
I've posted this point numerous times in other threads.

Microsoft never really wanted into the Hardware Console space - they simply wanted to make sure that whatever console 'owned the livingroom' had their OS and software as a dependency.

They tried this with Dreamcast (Windows CE OS), but of course PS2 was the behemoth, and they entered the ring with Xbox instead.

I've always maintained that if MS could persuade Sony to delegate all the software-side to them then Xbox would vanish in a second. Of course, now with Kinect and the current 360 positioning I'm not so sure.

But the fact remains - MS are a software company, Sony are a hardware company; there is potential synergy there.

Maybe the PSN experience has forced Sony's hand a bit?

I could ride with this thought. One of the early reasons was also a huge migration of pc gamers moving to consoles, ms took notice and followed the gamers, established themselves and is poised to make money off of everyone like they do on the tablet and smartphone space getting paid for android releases.

And I would love to see sony hardware running ms software, but i'm still not down with the paying to play online model. I'm sticking to offline games on my 360 and ps3/pc for my online games.

Zeal

Banned
sony developing the hardware with microsoft on software would be a dream come true. imagine the abundance of great franchises coming together. hell, this would be the second dreamcast (in a good way).

JGS

Banned
Zeal said:
sony developing the hardware with microsoft on software would be a dream come true. imagine the abundance of great franchises coming together. hell, this would be the second dreamcast (in a good way).
Microsoft on software?

GuiltySpank said:
Yo, I'm with this dude.

Xbots and Sotards will be like the Brady Bunch.
Why hello there. Came over from gamefaqs, huh?

Playstation X

Hardware by Sony, Dev tools and online by MS and they both release a controller for it.

I would buy it.
Why would sony release a controller for it?
who would even want to play with that obviously inferior hardware?

Pooya

https://twitter.com/#!/fxshaw/status/91953278027440128

"Frank X. Shaw, currently lead corporate communications for microsoft"
re: sony/ms domain names: Sony = great MS partner. No scoop here, this was just a defensive domain hold. Let's move on to weekend, kay? :)

ViolentP

scar tissue said:
Why would sony release a controller for it?
who would even want to play with that obviously inferior hardware?

Inferior hardware you say? Every single console player is my guess.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Combine this with the news that Microsoft is increasing hugely their Microsoft Store network, the fact that they expect Linux/Android to eat their OEM lunch in tablets and ultra portables, and the news that Microsoft wants to create one ecosystem between consoles, home computers and phones - and the pieces of the puzzle start might come together.

This could represent the beginnings a seismic shift in Microsoft's strategy where they begin to adopt an Apple style end-to-end approach controlling the hardware, user interface and services, and their own retail. Clearly the profits are very lucrative in that game.

And Windows Phone and Xbox are both proof that Microsoft can succeed in creating a superb integrated experience.

The writing is on the wall. Microsoft to go Apple route. Leave Android/Linux bloodbath to eat itself.

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
Hmm..

Let´s see here.
Im all for a synergy between Microsoft and Sony, I think that there are more benefits than negatives.

And for the people saying that it hardware will become more expensive, sure, it can happen (However, I cannot imagine it will be more expensive than the PS3 was at release and besides, people buy more expensive PC gaming rigs, so obviously, price is not a problem).

One of the problems facing the business is that there are more and more things competing for our time and also, we are really in the time when we have to "consume" things more rapidly, hence the popularity of app games (that you easily can pick up and play and finish in a couple of minutes, an hour tops). The whole mentality of today is that we have to consume things fast and immediately go to the next thing.

So therefore mobile phones is becoming more of a threat now to traditional console gaming.

There are other things that needs to be adress as well and one of the things I would like to have "fixed" is the how do we or how can we access old games in an easy way and play them legally?

With music, books and movies, you can easily buy classical movies, books or music but with games, it is very difficult to for example play battletoads or attic attac because to do this in a legal way, you have to buy a NES or a spectrum and connect it to the tv.

With todays tech, we should be able to find a way to have all the games (or many of the games) made and sell then cheap through DD. Perhaps an "OnLive" style of service with emulators already in place, all you have to do is choose the game you want to play and go (and perhaps even offline-sync with your mobile device and continue the game there).

Most importantly, in this time and age, it is really stupid to have to buy 3 different hardware in order to play all the games. The hardware is just a "necessary evil" in order to play the games.
And also, the battle for the living room, it is really over. With the arrival and development of mobile hardware, the battle is now for everywhere.

I see more benefits of MS and Sony making a joint venture this time. How many more generations can we see the same development? This way, it is better because you release a hardware that everyone can buy without thinking that they will be missing games on it (except NIntendo but that it because it is a small company compared to the others, gaming is their bread and butter)

The real differentiator should be in software.
Imagine the following:

You buy a console BUT you can choose which Online service you want to use, XBL or PSN (or have both). And imagine even further, a console were you can keep adding services (like Steam?). So the hardware is becoming a hub for all your gaming desires/whishes/etc that you yourself choose what service/games you want to use.

So instead of saving up money for stupid hardware because of some games, you buy one hardware and the rest of the money goes to software.

A joint hardware is somehow also something that helps out both MS and Sony and the gaming business in general. Games are becoming more and more expensive to make with the advancement in technology. Next generation, with the potential capabilities, will allow developers to make games with an amazing audivisual fidelity but it will cost much more.
In order to increase the chance of getting that money back, they have to have access to a vast marketshare, as big as possible. Instead of the segmenting the business with 3 different hardware and 3 different marketshares, why not releasing to a hardware that has 100% (or 70% or whatever it will be). It is easier to sell more copies this way...

Anyways, im rambling on here..
but I see much more benefits with a joint venture than negatives.
What are the negatives except potentially more expensive hardware??

Tenck said:
Nintendo is the most profitable. Sony and Microsoft should go third party and develop for Nintendo so they can have some nice profits.

2010 Nintendo Net Income: US $2.523 billion
2010 Microsoft Net Income: US $18.760 billion
2010 Sony Net Income: US $437 million

So yeah don't make statements that are blatantly false. I'm not a real fan of MS console products but they're notorious for being extremely profitable due to a stranglehold on the PC home and business market (windows) and the business office software market (server software (super profitable), office suite, etc.).

Also, the day Nintendo becomes the sole hardware maker (never going to happen unless the game industry completely collapses) is the day PC gaming will explode again (once again, assuming it happened without the game industry imploding).

Lastly, how stupid would it be for MS to go into exclusively third party development when they only have a shell of a first party development stable?

3rdman

Zeal said:
LOL, no way! I'd rather have it the other way around...MS may have used poor materials to build their machine, but they did design the better system and their dev tools are unmatched.

Sony gets way too much credit for past success on the basis of their hardware...they made the PS3 the uber-PS2 and made everything about it difficult. I don't see how more of that is going to help them in the next gen. The costs for devs are skyrocketing and more than ever, the industry needs to conform to a standard, IMO.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
phosphor112 said:
I know someone posted the link, but apparently people are blind.

15ftf.png
Still sorta suspect that they haven't registered domains for other potential partners, but I'm guessing it alludes to something along the lines of WP7 phones or a slate W8 tablet or something.

cuyahoga said:
Still sorta suspect that they haven't registered domains for other potential partners, but I'm guessing it alludes to something along the lines of WP7 phones or a slate W8 tablet or something.
They wouldn't do that, especially after the PS Suite. That's Android only, and they want to push their software, and get on "good terms" with hackers wanting to open up their phones.

3rdman said:
LOL, no way! I'd rather have it the other way around...MS may have used poor materials to build their machine, but they did design the better system and their dev tools are unmatched.

Sony gets way too much credit for past success on the basis of their hardware...they made the PS3 the uber-PS2 and made everything about it difficult. I don't see how more of that is going to help them in the next gen. The costs for devs are skyrocketing and more than ever, the industry needs to conform to a standard, IMO.

It doesn't matter what materials MS uses, Sony almost always out designs them from a hardware perspective. I mean if you watched MS's PC campaign from last year they heavily advertise the VAIO as an alternative to the Macbook because Sony was the only large PC maker who had form design on par with Apple. Sony is notorious for having genius engineers who make awesome hardware but often fall short on the software end.

Dev tools are software based so I have no idea how you think that is a hardware advantage. The PS3 isn't inherently difficult to develop for, it was just new architecture that the vast majority had never worked with (obviously with uncharted and KZ being unmatched by 360 games in the graphics department, this simply proves my point). I have a gut feeling you don't necessarily understand hardware very much.

Lastly, an ideal "solution" would be hardware by Sony with an OS and online gaming architecture designed by MS with a Sony dominated first party stable and policy. Of course such a monopoly is, like earlier said, probably not going to be good for innovation.

UV-6

A defensive domain hold? So he's admitting that there could be a another potential partnership in the future. Hmm :D

UV-6 said:
A defensive domain hold? So he's admitting that there could be a another potential partnership in the future. Hmm :D

Eh? He's saying they already are partners. Defensive domain hold just means they were grabbing it to stop a 3rd party from holding it ransom.

Tenck

Tallshortman said:
2010 Nintendo Net Income: US $2.523 billion
2010 Microsoft Net Income: US $18.760 billion
2010 Sony Net Income: US $437 million

So yeah don't make statements that are blatantly false. I'm not a real fan of MS console products but they're notorious for being extremely profitable due to a stranglehold on the PC home and business market (windows) and the business office software market (server software (super profitable), office suite, etc.).

Also, the day Nintendo becomes the sole hardware maker (never going to happen unless the game industry completely collapses) is the day PC gaming will explode again (once again, assuming it happened without the game industry imploding).

Lastly, how stupid would it be for MS to go into exclusively third party development when they only have a shell of a first party development stable?

I Love how you put up the profit of all their business products. As if I cared about their other profitable hardware/software. This is the gaming sub forum, so maybe, just maybe I'm talking about their profits in the video game industry.

Also love your doom prediction about Nintendo.

"Oh the gaming industry will die if the company I despise takes over. Forget about other people's preferences, mine are the priority here!!"

Lastly how stupid would it be for any of them to go third party? I love their competition with each other. Brings the best out of all of them.

aperman

Neo Member
Opiate said:
Extreme market power, disincentive for innovation, and very high barriers to entry. Those are the downsides that conglomerates/monopolies cause.

There are always upsides to conglomeration/oligopolization, too. Let's use one of my previous examples, "big pharma." Today, the research and testing of new drugs often costs hundreds of millions of dollars for a single drug. Sometimes, those drugs don't pan out, and kaboom, there goes your money. Obviously, small companies cannot possibly afford to work on such projects, by definition, so that's a benefit to large, multi-billion-dollar pharma companies. As another example, let's take films. Most people decry hollywood for its lack of creativity -- and it is true that there are only 5-6 companies total that make virtually every movie you see in theatres. But smaller companies couldn't produce the big, special effect extravaganzas that so many here and elsewhere seem to love. So again, if you love "blockbuster" movies, there are advantages to the monopoly power Universal, Fox etc. wield.

In all these cases, there are upsides. In all these cases, the downsides are; consolidated market power, disincentive for innovation, and high barriers to entry. If you don't think those downsides matter -- as you imply in your post above -- then congratulations, you are now thinking like a corporatist and a Repulican, if you weren't one already.

And again, there's nothing wrong with being a corporatist, or a Republican. There are reasonable arguments for both of those philosophies. I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy in those individuals who decry Republicans and big corporations while anxiously hoping for two of the biggest tech conglomerates in the world to join forces to make an even bigger tech conglomerate so that they can raise the barriers to entry even higher and consolidate market power even further.

I understand where you're coming from, but it would be interesting if instead of a joint console, they both released consoles that played each others games. Then the incentives for joining a certain ecosystem would be online, apps, and other perks.

One wonders why this isn't the case already. I understand it's a different industry, and thus different standards, but how odd would it be if a certain Blu Ray played played movies from certain studios and another would play some from others.

Anyways, I can't ever see the two releasing a joint console.

Coming from a fiscal conservative that decries the Republican Party and abusive corporations. Weird, right?

Truespeed

Zeal said:

That would be like totally rad. I was like at only 156 Security updates on my Windows 7 x64.

Frankfurt

Banned
People love saying things like "competition breeds innovation", but... Where's the innovation in the Playstation vs 360 battle so far? There's XBox Live, which is debatable, and... And... Nothing. They're basically the same console. Are we talking "the XBox has nice triggers in the controller" innovation here? Are we talking "the PS vs XBox battle forced Nintendo to follow a new path with the Wii"? Something that adds nothing to the "why it would be bad MS and Sony joined forces" debate?

The gains from a PS720 console would be greater and more palpable than the gains from a continuation of the current status quo.

The truth is most core gamers HATE innovation. Nearly every gaming forum is proof of that.

Eteric Rice

Smision said:
I'm fine with this. Nintendo can go 3rd party for them and it will be the perfect console.

I hope this is sarcasm.

The truth is most core gamers HATE innovation. Nearly every gaming forum is proof of that.

And those people will be the death of video games.

Opiate said:
let's take films. Most people decry hollywood for its lack of creativity -- and it is true that there are only 5-6 companies total that make virtually every movie you see in theatres. But smaller companies couldn't produce the big, special effect extravaganzas that so many here and elsewhere seem to love. So again, if you love "blockbuster" movies, there are advantages to the monopoly power Universal, Fox etc. wield.

Best argument against consolidation ever?

FyreWulff

Freezie KO said:
Best argument against consolidation ever?

Not really. Indie developers can't match the graphics and blockbuster-ness of big studio titles already anyway. Under a neutral universal system, they would at least be able to release their titles in actual retail and not be stuck under the XBLA/PSN glass ceiling, and therefore be able to sell more potential copies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom