• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft will provide more TV-like advertisements through XBox Live

see5harp

Not really, I have clear definitions for what I consider to be actual advertising and what I consider promo material.

A promo IS advertising. You are making a consumer aware of your product with the purpose of selling said content. Even if it's a link to a free You Tube video, they are either trying to sell a Gold account to a silver member, or they are trying to get you to watch the video that will no doubt have third party ads to click away while the video plays.

A promo IS advertising. You are making a consumer aware of your product with the purpose of selling said content. Even if it's a link to a free You Tube video, they are either trying to sell a Gold account to a silver member, or they are trying to get you to watch the video that will no doubt have third party ads to click away while the video plays.

Forget it. He used the word promo and then thought it wasn't an ad. There is no hope here.

Well this has been fun, but to be brutally honest, you're going off point and I'd rather not derail the thread.

No you just don't understand. You cannot call something that is an ad by definition, not an ad.

You don't get to make or remake definitions. There is something wrong with you if you think you do.

You can choose how to react to the ads, and think they are fine, but they are still going to be ads.

It's a long standing schtick when it comes to Xbox dashboard discussions. "Promotion of things" is not advertising in the eyes of some people. As long as you don't call it advertising, it's not advertising.

This is where we disagree, but you do make a valid point.

The television analogy sure is terrible. I'm okay with television showing ads because:

a) ads support the channel itself, your cable bill just gets you the channel(s) -(like the web)
b) I have DVR, so I can just skip ads on most everything I watch... worst comes to worst I just change the channel.

I don't really even watch tv outside of HBO and Adult Swim, and HBO, a premium channel I pay extra for, only shows me ads relevant to their own service and its programming.

The important thing to take away from the discussion is that people don't even consider the "ads" on PSN, Wii or Steam as such- they feel appropriate to the service. I like signing on and having my console/service tell me about new games or new services/apps, because it helps my own gaming experience. At its absolute worst it at least feels feels relevant to the service.

The problem I have with "TV-like advertisements" is that the average person pays 60 dollars a year, and for what? To get more ads then they'd get on rival platforms? When I sign on to one console and see ads for Jeep, Old Spice and Mountain Dew, while its "rival" is telling me about new games I might want to know about, which one is doing me the greater service? Ironically its the free services that seems to treat my dollar with the most respect.

So what are you paying for? Xbox Live is just P2P gaming, and its not like the ads dont make enough money to cover server maintenance. Really, that money is just being recycled back into a marketing machine that wants to squeeze even more money out of you. They want you to keep paying to do things you already paid for (Netflix, HBO, etc) just on the console instead. It feels cheap, maybe even a little gross, and the only people that win are the people who want new Call of Duty content in a reasonable timeframe. "TV-like advertisements" are an even further abstraction from why I play videogames, and evidence of where I'm sure some people would like to see videogames headed.

Could have saved yourself a lot of keystrokes by actually reading the op and the article about this news.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I'm imagining some GAF members going out for dinner, seeing a folded sheet at their table near the condiments showcasing summer drinks and desserts, and flipping out.

see5harp

It's a long standing schtick when it comes to Xbox dashboard discussions. "Promotion of things" is not advertising in the eyes of some people. As long as you don't call it advertising, it's not advertising.

I don't have any issue with people complaining about how things look or how prominant ads are. I do think there are many people who have an entirely inaccurate view of how the actual system and UI works though and that's not fair either.

Interfectum

I'm imagining some GAF members going out for dinner, seeing a folded sheet at their table near the condiments showcasing summer drinks and desserts, and flipping out.

I'm imagining some GAF members being treated to a 30 second commercial before every Xbox game they play (and paid $60 for) and defending it when it comes under fire.

USC-fan

Banned
OMG I paid $X for this service and they've raised the price and continue to place more and more ads while minimizing space for my content.

Its not a magazine or a happy meal.

Its also not a car.

Its content we all already pay for that is place behind another paid wall. Then they ad more ads to this?

How are people defending this? Really step back this is terrible.

Dude, I'm like, right here.

Freelance PR For Microsoft

But what you dont get defending stuff like this make xbox worse.... You are not helping this cause.

Magazine and Happy Meal prices have risen, what's your point?
The point you're missing is that a happy meal is not a service. Xbox Live is. You pay for it, and it continually changes after the point of purchase. I personally have a problem with how it is evolving.

In exchange for my (increased) fee I unlock the ability to use my xbox for peer-to-peer multiplayer, access to otherwise free apps, and ever more ads taking ever more space. Oh and we also got to pay for the privilege of delaying COD content for PS3 users. Its a raw deal and in my opinion it shouldn't be encouraged or tolerated.

If you don't mind it, fine. Really, we're good. But forum discussions like these can be helpful to register our disgust at this direction, to justify it and to present alternatives. And there are alternatives. As well as examples where customers made a stink and MS was forced to change their ways. Look to the PC world for examples.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I'm imagining some GAF members being treated to a 30 second commercial before every Xbox game they play (and paid $60 for) and defending it when it comes under fire.
I wouldn't like that. But seeing as how I've never complained about 5 second AMD/nvidia ads on PC, I don't know if that'd make me a hypocrite or not.

Kujo

Same reasons some people are bothered by other people not being bothered I'd imagine.
but then there are people who are bothered about the people who are bothered about people who are not bothered. why then bother the bothering bothers who bother because they feel the bother is a matter for bothering rather then bother for the sake of the bother

Philthy

Nope, still no reason to activate my XBL membership again. 360 continues to collect dust. The bastard child of my collection.

The point you're missing is that a happy meal is not a service. Xbox Live is. You pay for it, and it continually changes after the point of purchase. I personally have a problem with how it is evolving.

In exchange for my (increased) fee I unlock the ability to use my xbox for peer-to-peer multiplayer, access to otherwise free apps, and ever more ads taking ever more space. Its a raw deal and in my opinion it shouldn't be encouraged or tolerated.

If you don't mind it, fine. Really, we're good. But forum discussions like these can be helpful to register our disgust at this direction, to justify it and to present alternatives.

The problem is there aren't any alternatives in the console sphere. Maybe when Sony get their heads out of their arse and put some effort into developing a good, robust online service that offers the same functionality as live, we'll finally see MS sweat and either drop the live fee (very unlikely) or add value through various methods. Hell, maybe they'll even go down the PS+ route and start to offer select games for 'free', but none of this will potentially happen until the pressure from competitors is there.

Eusis

I wouldn't like that. But seeing as how I've never complained about 5 second AMD/nvidia ads on PC, I don't know if that'd make me a hypocrite or not.
Those can annoy the shit out of me, but mainly when they try to be cute and make it unique... but longer and unskippable. I think Borderlands did exactly that, stuff like how the Witcher 2 handled it was fine however.

Also another thing: you only ever see any kind of advertising on PSN when you go into the store, usually, or spcial spots that actively show that stuff. That's the difference here, it's like walking into a store and seeing banners all over the place, versus walking around your damn house and seeing similar banners all around the place. Or little displays JUST TO TELL YOU STUFF. But I sometimes wonder if Microsoft's marketing team is just... off when it comes to advertising. I can't imagine anyone else but an ad firm being EAGER to show off all the new ways you can manipulate and show off ads, it's like they operate in an entirely different world from ours.

Nope, still no reason to activate my XBL membership again. 360 continues to collect dust. The bastard child of my collection.

Sell it then, why keep it? Or do you do keep it around so you can pop into threads to let everyone know you have one and it's collecting dust.

Philthy

Sell it then, why keep it? Or do you do keep it around so you can pop into threads to let everyone know you have one and it's collecting dust.

I keep it because I wait for the day for Microsoft to get with the rest of the world and offer XBL for free, and remove all the ads.

I also disagree with your prior statement, the PSN is just as good as XBL, for zero the cost. I have had zero complaints with it. Nintendo has a long ways to go.

USC-fan

Banned
The problem is there aren't any alternatives in the console sphere. Maybe when Sony get their heads out of their arse and put some effort into developing a good, robust online service that offers the same functionality as live, we'll finally see MS sweat and either drop the live fee (very unlikely) or add value through various methods. Hell, maybe they'll even go down the PS+ route and start to offer select games for 'free', but none of this will potentially happen until the pressure from competitors is there.

PS3 online is very good. I switch over this year from xbxo 360 and the only thing I dont like is the updates.

Play bf3 online on PS3 and its great. PS3 online is amazing compared to when it launched. It was sooo bad. Now i cant really tell a difference between xbox and ps3 online. What do you see that is different?

Hoo-doo

Banned

Indeed. There aren't any alternatives. That's why it's somewhat understandable that people (like you) are defending these type of practices, because they simply have nowhere else to go.

Microsoft will push advertising on the 360 further and further, and people will keep defending it until the end of time, unless a competitor steps up their game.

SuperBonk

It would be irrational to argue that more ads is not detrimental to the service. The fact that it's a paid service only compounds that fact.

However, if these advertiser partnerships lead to more content providers on the service as well as more content for current apps (Monday Night Football on ESPN), it can be seen as potentially beneficial to the service (for some people at least).

I guess we'll see this E3, where MS is reportedly going to have a strong focus on new entertainment offerings.

If you are so inclined to defend your 360 purchase, I see this as a much better argument than the "ads aren't ads" nonsense.

But if those E3 announcements are sub par, it can be inferred that these advertising deals are only in place because MS is trying to get as much as they can from their loyal, locked-in customers.

Eusis

I half expect Microsoft would at least stick with advertising to the bitter end, whether or not they lighten up or outright abandon Gold or not. I do think they WILL need to drop the Gold requirement on entertainment eventually, not unless you're getting with Gold an Xbox subscription (sounds like the case for last.fm), too many other devices let you use this stuff for free or at least with no additional costs, and it's not Microsoft's bandwidth being used anyway, at least not to a more serious extent than you would as a silver member anyway.

I keep it because I wait for the day for Microsoft to get with the rest of the world and offer XBL for free, and remove all the ads.

I also disagree with your prior statement, the PSN is just as good as XBL, for zero the cost. I have had zero complaints with it. Nintendo has a long ways to go.

Won't happen, sell it and never look back.

No, it really isn't.

PS3 online is very good. I switch over this year from xbxo 360 and the only thing I dont like is the updates.

Play bf3 online on PS3 and its great. PS3 online is amazing compared to when it launched. It was sooo bad. Now i cant really tell a difference between xbox and ps3 online. What do you see that is different?

Online gaming, yes. But it fails in all other aspects. The ease of use, no CPC, the constant patching, etc. it's not refined or as evolved as Live. That's why MS feel they can do the crap they do and get away with it. They know their competitors offer a poor service in comparison.

Indeed. There aren't any alternatives. That's why it's somewhat understandable that people (like you) are defending these type of practices, because they simply have nowhere else to go.

Microsoft will push advertising on the 360 further and further, and people will keep defending it until the end of time, unless a competitor steps up their game.

I long for the day when Sony step up and offer the same level of functionality, stability, etc, for free.

I literally can't wait for it, they've made baby steps with the vita, but they need to invest heavily to reach parity or better MS' service.

My fear is they won't due to financial constraints. I'd much rather have a slightly less powerful PS4 and a better online service than the opposite.

It would be irrational to argue that more ads is not detrimental to the service. The fact that it's a paid service only compounds that fact.

However, if these advertiser partnerships lead to more content providers on the service as well as more content for current apps (Monday Night Football on ESPN), it can be seen as potentially beneficial to the service (for some people at least).

I guess we'll see this E3, where MS is reportedly going to have a strong focus on new entertainment offerings.

If you are so inclined to defend your 360 purchase, I see this as a much better argument than the "ads aren't ads" nonsense.

But if those E3 announcements are sub par, it can be inferred that these advertising deals are only in place because MS is trying to get as much as they can from their loyal, locked-in customers.

If they announced that MNF is coming to the ESPN app I would be stunned. Do you have any evidence to suggest that is happening, or are you just speculating? That is probably ESPN's most valuable property.

Considering how little of ESPN's valuable properties are not available on the ESPN 360 app, I highly doubt they're going to suddenly throw their MOST valuable property on that app.

I can't wait for next gen when Sony charges for online. Seems to be the way they're going, adding features to PS+ that already exist on Live, but you pay for them. They got off pretty lucky this gen, only releasing PSN free since it was barebones and had to compete with XBL and now you have a lot of ignorant people assuming Sony does it out of good will.

Especially with the financial gloom and doom with Sony lately, next gen will be interesting to visit old threads.

I find it hilarious that I pay $30-40 a year for XBL, getting features that are unavailable on other consoles for free or at all, like party chat, beacons, cloud storage, and weekly discounts (not to mention a better marketplace browser, demos for everything and better friends list/achievement integration), and at the same time I pay $170 a MONTH for me and my girls combined phone bill. A MONTH. Yeah, I can pay way less, but we enjoy our features.

If Microsoft felt any pressure from Sony, which they obviously don't in the slightest, they'd do something like make Silver users play online for free but nothing else. And at this rate, I can't see that happening.

On the topic of ads, I never realize they're there but today after seeing this thread I saw the Avengers trailer playing at the bottom of the video section of the dash. Looks really good but WTF Edward Norton isn't playing Hulk?

You know since Microsoft is so hell bent on making Live some entertainment hub it would be fantastic if gold was used specifically for access to all these entertainment features and silver was solely for gaming. It's a pipedream I know.

I don't like the trend of consoles turning into media hubs at all. Makes sense for companies though since so many people use entertainment apps.

I already own a 360 and play games daily, none of which are affected by these ads or moves to entertainments hubs so I doubt I'll be leaving anytime soon.

I can't wait for next gen when Sony charges for online. Seems to be the way they're going, adding features to PS+ that already exist on Live, but you pay for them. They got off pretty lucky this gen, only releasing PSN free since it was barebones and had to compete with XBL and now you have a lot of ignorant people assuming Sony does it out of good will.

I don't see any chance of Sony ever charging for online play. They may charge for everything else, but not that. It's the one huge differentiator between them and Microsoft.

But I understand why so many people want to see it happen. It would stop people from attacking Microsoft.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I find it hilarious that I pay $30-40 a year for XBL, getting features that are unavailable on other consoles for free or at all, like party chat, beacons, cloud storage, and weekly discounts (not to mention a better marketplace browser, demos for everything and better friends list/achievement integration), and at the same time I pay $170 a MONTH for me and my girls combined phone bill. A MONTH. Yeah, I can pay way less, but we enjoy our features.
Now now, I'm pro-current dash and pro-paying for XBL, but PSN+ has much better discounts than Gold. This month has been especially brutal.

Learned the other day in the VITA thread that the PSN store still doesn't have a web page. Crazy stuff.

SuperBonk

If they announced that MNF is coming to the ESPN app I would be stunned. Do you have any evidence to suggest that is happening, or are you just speculating? That is probably ESPN's most valuable property.

Considering how little of ESPN's valuable properties are not available on the ESPN 360 app, I highly doubt they're going to suddenly throw their MOST valuable property on that app.

Absolutely just speculating. I should have thrown a "please!" at the end.

Harlock

The metro interface is already so slow. And take so much steps to get where you want. Wanna know where are the download progress bar? Good luck.

PS3 interface, you are ugly but you are nice.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
The metro interface is already so slow. And take so much steps to get where you want. Wanna know where are the download progress bar? Good luck.

PS3 interface, you are ugly but you are nice.
Download progress has always been in the Guide menu, far as I can tell. If you've had trouble finding it since the Guide menu change in 2008, I don't know what to tell you.

I'm surprised people seem to be wishing for Sony to charge instead of everyone having free online next gen.

I can see Sony leaving online play free but all the other features paid like now, but MS? Eh, its a wild card. If they innovate the online infrastructure again they will most likely make you pay.

I'm surprised people seem to be wishing for Sony to charge instead of everyone having free online next gen.

Expecting them to and hoping are two very different things.

I wonder how bad it would be if they made gaming and anything gaming related free for silver users and absolutely everything else gold. Would it hurt gold sales that much?

Top Bottom