• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Works On Xbox Without Optical Disc Drive

BibiMaghoo

The only issue for me is cost. Retail games drop like a brick in price. Digital? Not so much. It eliminates competition as you can only buy on Xbox live as well.

They don't drop permanently in price like physical but are often on sale no matter what game it is, and digital prices go lower than any retail store would charge for a game too. My problem with digital pricing is that of new games. £55 is not OK when a supermarket sells it with a disc, manual and case for £40 the same day. This is a problem for all platforms though, and I think offering a digital only console is a smart move. Options are good. If they can get it out at £150 I think it will probably sell really well.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Pay per month. Hardware is free. You can't play used games. The cost of including an optical drive is 18$ in the BOM. Is $18 dollars worth not being able to buy a used game?
This is no doubt a way of offering subscription hardware. Because at least that way you are sure to make money on giving the hardware away.

Now THIS is a reason to go discless!!!!

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I think they sold a few cellphones this way. You do know you can still buy your own cellphone though, right?

Yeah, but I never buy my cell phone outright. No way can I let my pocket lose that kind of cash, when I can get the phone day one without paying a dime.

Yeah, but I never buy my cell phone outright. No way can I let my pocket lose that kind of cash, when I can get the phone day one without paying a dime.

Great. Microsoft already gave you the option and I have no doubt they will continue to find ways to get people playing.

Was the psp released yesterday? Times change man.

If memory serves me correct Sony stopped selling the regular PSP and replaced it with the Go. Microsoft is not going to make that mistake, they will be offering a choice.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Very excited about this. I know a lot of people fear the digital future, but I'm glad to declutter my entertainment area.

Nothing wrong with digital, something wrong with ONLY digital. Trust me, you want the option for others as it helps even you stay digital but with more rights. Look at Telltale, sad but they are removing games from Steam because they are going out of business or look at P.T.

Imagine if Telltale only made digital games? See the issue? So I say, if you like digital, physical is still your buddy helping you protect your rights at least. Digital has the sales it has to compete with those physical copies. With zero physical, no publisher like EA really has a ode to lower prices if they control the entire market in terms of distribution. The free market on used games on disk allow those publishers to know that they have to still compete against those used copies to get a sale.

Look at the prices of Call Of Duty games on Steam....

Imagine what they'd do if they had no disk versions to compete with?

EDMIX

You know that is a factually incorrect statement, right?

0-nba-live.jpg

Well not really. Its %50 off and shows 6 DAYS LEFT! As in for a LIMITED time its on sale.

Used prices may go up or down for a bit, but they generally stay low as in below full price. Sooooo both distribution set ups have sales, but only with physical do you have a option of used to be lower in price all year round.

VS

For a few days....

edit .

vs

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007XVTR3K/?tag=neogaf0e-20

So that full price for a 2012 game digital.

vs

4 bucks used

Both will go on sale, but I'd rather be able to buy and play my games all year around, not waiting for a sale of a 2012 game...do you get how crazy that actually is?

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

Was the psp released yesterday? Times change man.
times changed and so have the sizes of games. if you wanted to move ur current list of disk games over, will 1tb Be enough?

when the one x was announced the break down in pricing was only $18-24 dollars for the UHDBD.

Last edited:

MayauMiao

I can see PS4 going this route with its smaller redesign someday. I hope if Sony does this, they add extra slot to store additional hard disk.-

Last edited:

onQ123

times changed and so have the sizes of games. if you wanted to move ur current list of disk games over, will 1tb Be enough?

when the one x was announced the break down in pricing was only $18-24 dollars for the UHDBD.

You say this as if each game isn't installed to the hdd when you buy disc based games?

Imtjnotu

You say this as if each game isn't installed to the hdd when you buy disc based games?
but every game i currently have is installed to my hdd and my external 2TB hdd.....

i seriously think u dont get what im saying. if you WANTED to move your entire library over to a new machine WITH NO DISK DRIVE. can you fit your entire currently library onto a single 1tb HDD. yes or no?

onQ123

but every game i currently have is installed to my hdd and my external 2TB hdd.....

i seriously think u dont get what im saying. if you WANTED to move your entire library over to a new machine WITH NO DISK DRIVE. can you fit your entire currently library onto a single 1tb HDD. yes or no?

The hell? why are you making a difference in you being able to have a 2TB external hdd with your console with a disc drive & someone else being able to have a 2TB hdd on a console without a disc drive?

gspat

Going to 7nm & removing unneeded parts could get them somewhere in between Xbox One S & Nvidia Shield / Apple Tv

615ykndGTtL.jpg

media-streamers-top-2x1-lowres1024-1259.jpg
Unneeded parts? Like what?

- Hard drive?
- APU Cooler?
- Wireless hardware?
- Bring back the brick?

How much can you feasibly take away?

The teardown of the xbox one showed the cooler to be AT LEAST 3x the size of the NV shield alone.

Processor power would be a tough give-up wouldn't it?

A NV shield is nowhere near the power of an xbox one, even though it is great at what it can do.

EDMIX

Well those games are also able to be uninstalled at will and reinstalled pretty quickly compared to digital.

If I wanted to play MGSV right now, I'd be playing in mere minutes as all I have to do is install the disk.

If I owned it digital, it would be literally hours of waiting.

onQ123

Unneeded parts? Like what?

- Hard drive?
- APU Cooler?
- Wireless hardware?
- Bring back the brick?

How much can you feasibly take away?

The teardown of the xbox one showed the cooler to be AT LEAST 3x the size of the NV shield alone.

Processor power would be a tough give-up wouldn't it?

A NV shield is nowhere near the power of an xbox one, even though it is great at what it can do.

Once you take away the Disc Drive & move to 7nm you will end up with a smaller PSU & also you're need less cooling parts

onQ123

Well those games are also able to be uninstalled at will and reinstalled pretty quickly compared to digital.

If I wanted to play MGSV right now, I'd be playing in mere minutes as all I have to do is install the disk.

You can install games to a external hard drive

Well not really. Its %50 off and shows 6 DAYS LEFT! As in for a LIMITED time its on sale.

He said physical is always cheaper and I provided a easy example to prove otherwise (because it was a ridiculous statement). You are saying you don't understand the concept of "always"?

gspat

Once you take away the Disc Drive & move to 7nm you will end up with a smaller PSU & also you're need less cooling parts
MS won't be very keen to give up the cooling. I don't think they want another RROD epidemic.

You also won't be saving as much power as you think.

EDMIX

He said physical is always cheaper and I provided a easy example to prove otherwise (because it was a ridiculous statement). You are saying you don't understand the concept of "always"?

Nope.

Simply saying MOST times throughout the year, physical will be cheaper. As in I can buy Black Ops 2 for 4 bucks used on disk....can't do that on Steam or other platforms right now. So its your few days of a sale vs most of the year.

Last edited:

onQ123

MS won't be very keen to give up the cooling. I don't think they want another RROD epidemic.

You also won't be saving as much power as you think.

PS4 went from 250W to 165W with the PS4 Slim what make you think a 7nm Xbox One with no Disc drive isn't going to save much power?

EDMIX

You can install games to a external hard drive

Yea i don't do that.

Waste of money and waste of time for me lol .

I have a 2TB hdd in my PS4 that always has like hundreds GB left as I just cycle from what I'm currently playing to what i'm not. So I might own a little over 100 games most being physical, but I"m not playing them ALL AT ONCE. I'd rather save that money for games.

EDMIX

PS4 went from 250W to 165W with the PS4 Slim what make you think a 7nm Xbox One with no Disc drive isn't going to save much power?

Its probably going to save on some power, but I don't even know if that is actually worth having less features. This just seems like something that is getting you missing features and I don't even see the benefit really to having less components, especially something like a disk drive. I don't know if I want to save power that much lol

Imtjnotu

The hell? why are you making a difference in you being able to have a 2TB external hdd with your console with a disc drive & someone else being able to have a 2TB hdd on a console without a disc drive?
because a new xbox that doesnt have a disk drive will not come with both an INTERNAL and EXTERNAL HDD. BACK AGAIN AS TO WHY i said it should come with a large internal drive.

stop bringing up external crap and talk about what size hard drive the thing should come with.

Last edited:

gspat

Because an Xbox one only uses ~112 watts to begin with, and it's not only the APU that uses power?

Taking away the disc drive means you might get away without using 12V in the system, but the disc doesn't run long enough to really factor all that much into the power usage.

onQ123

because a new xbox that doesnt have a disk drive will not come with both an INTERNAL and EXTERNAL HDD. BACK AGAIN AS TO WHY i said it should come with a large internal drive.

stop bringing up external crap and talk about what size hard drive the thing should come with.

Nah I'll continue to make sense while you try to create a silly situation. Stop & think for a second just one second , if you had these games on your old Xbox One with the disc drive the games still had to be saved to the harddrive , if your games was saved to a external hdd you will still have that external hdd so why did you just try that silly post you just made?

lol

gspat

Nah I'll continue to make sense while you try to create a silly situation. Stop & think for a second just one second , if you had these games on your old Xbox One with the disc drive the games still had to be saved to the harddrive , if your games was saved to a external hdd you will still have that external hdd so why did you just try that silly post you just made?

lol
Much like Imtjnotu, I'd like to the little bit of space freed up used for internal storage for extra hard drives rather than shrink the unit.

I don't favour the apple method of expansion.

I'd rather see a cover for an internal bay to hold either 2 -laptop sized drives or even 2 internal full size drives to expand to 12TB+ of storage space. and yes, I'd probably complain I'd fill it too and have to resort to the apple method.

EDMIX

Exactly. Having to buy MORE things to supplement something missing doesn't even help you, it means you actually lost money and now just have a system that does less.

I'd rather just get a XONE with a disk drive used as not only would it be cheaper, it would do more too lol

Every time you post I question whether you actually do play games on your pc. I can load mgs5 on my PC faster than you can grab your PS4 disk and play (because let's face it, that is the copy you own no matter how many times you show up in Xbox topics only to talk about your pc).

Nope.

Simply saying MOST times throughout the year, physical will be cheaper. As in I can buy Black Ops 2 for 4 bucks used on disk....can't do that on Steam or other platforms right now. So its your few days of a sale vs most of the year.

How much are physical copies of year old games at the store for Switch titles? The fact is Steam often has better pricing than XBL and PSN store prices.

What exactly are you even going on about anyways, this is about a system you have no desire to support. So you're here because?

Exactly. Having to buy MORE things to supplement something missing doesn't even help you, it means you actually lost money and now just have a system that does less.

I'd rather just get a XONE with a disk drive used as not only would it be cheaper, it would do more too lol

There's nothing stopping you so what's your point? Lol

TLZ

Banned

Maybe when you exchange your physical games for codes, you don't have to download them all straight away, and sit redeemed in your account ready to be downloaded any time you like.

Also, maybe with that extra $25 MS can add an extra TB, so we get 2TB for the same price of 1TB+disc drive.

Maybe?

bout damn time. The material, licensing and power consumption costs of a bulky blu-ray drive can now go into larger internal storage, better cooling and reducing the size of the console. $20-30 goes a huge way in pimping out what essentially costs $100 to manufacture.

Normally I'd be against this, but for a long time now, retail releases on disc have been crippled, requiring day-1 patches that in some cases finish the unfinished game or provide massive changes. Also stuff like nice physical game boxes, maps and beefy manuals died over a decade ago outside of a few very select releases. Even there, I'm never going to use the RDR2 physical map, when I have the higher rez interactive digital map in-game and via a phone app.

Discs as a storage medium are coming to an end. Portable Flash cards and internal flash/mechanical drives is where its at.

Last edited:
bout damn time. The material, licensing and power consumption costs of a bulky blu-ray drive can now go into larger internal storage, better cooling and reducing the size of the console. $20-30 goes a huge way in pimping out what essentially costs $100 to manufacture.

Normally I'd be against this, but for a long time now, retail releases on disc have been crippled, requiring day-1 patches that in some cases finish the unfinished game or provide massive changes. Also stuff like nice physical game boxes, maps and beefy manuals died over a decade ago outside of a few very select releases. Even there, I'm never going to use the RDR2 physical map, when I have the higher rez interactive digital map in-game and via a phone app.

Discs as a storage medium are coming to an end. Portable Flash cards and internal flash/mechanical drives is where its at.

You're right and some people think it's only a small cost fit the drive. That drive uses power resources and adds heat. Not to mention the disks which can get worn and scratched. Of course collectors and those who like to sell/trade games won't like it but that's why you have options.

Indeed. A disc drive can use up to 10W of power. That means a bigger power supply, and higher internal temps as the drive itself will produce heat. It's a no brainer-get rid of optical storage. People don't even rely on discs to watch movies anymore. Everybody streams 1080p or 4k, and if you want high quality uncompressed 4k playback, you will employ a dedicated player usually built into a sound system/receiver since anybody fussy enough to differentiate between native and streamed 4k will do so in regards to sound as well, and so they will have surround sound systems with media playback capabilities.

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
Very excited about this. I know a lot of people fear the digital future, but I'm glad to declutter my entertainment area.

When I feel that way i pick out some games I won't be playing again and sell them to my local game shop and then I can get new games without spending any money. Can you do that with digital games?

EDMIX

50 gigs would be a dream-come-true.
RDR2 is already 100 gigs.

I wouldn't be surprised to see 300+ gigabyte games next gen.

oh easy. Thats very much what I think we'll see. 3x jump is fair. I don't know if we'll even see a jump compared to SNES to PS1 lol

Junk was MASSIVE lol

When I feel that way i pick out some games I won't be playing again and sell them to my local game shop and then I can get new games without spending any money. Can you do that with digital games?

Time is money my friend. While you spend 1 hour of your time, plus gas, to get back $5 from Gamestop I'll be playing.

I really don't get what you're trying to prove, go buy the regular Xbox then if physical is a concern. Some of us like digital. So what.

Zog

Banned
Why the hysteria over these kind of news announcements? It's only going to be a variant of the 'S' model, not even the 'X'. Microsoft in this generation is all about choices. They will not 100% eliminate the disc slot until 10th generation, 10 years from now. By that time it will be literally zero controversy about it. Seems to me that some people just like stirring the pot.

Isn't the controversy the reason it won't happen for 10 years?

Zog

Banned
Time is money my friend. While you spend 1 hour of your time, plus gas, to get back $5 from Gamestop I'll be playing.

I really don't get what you're trying to prove, go buy the regular Xbox then if physical is a concern. Some of us like digital. So what.

LOL, you said Time is Money and then told me you will spend your extra time playing a game which doesn't make you money.

Anyway, when I trade things in I trade in 10-20 at a time and I usually end up with $200 to $300. I take advantage of trade in deals like getting an extra 20% or 40%. I bought my Wii U and Switch with trade ins and many games with trade ins. I just can't understand how can say that 'my digital game costed the same as your physical game but it's better because I can't trade it in for some money back'.

Last edited:

Elenchus

Banned
Why the hysteria over these kind of news announcements? It's only going to be a variant of the 'S' model, not even the 'X'. Microsoft in this generation is all about choices. They will not 100% eliminate the disc slot until 10th generation, 10 years from now. By that time it will be literally zero controversy about it. Seems to me that some people just like stirring the pot.

Frankly I think Microsoft is now too conservative with their platform moves. Where is the digital lending program? Where are game refunds? Where is the store wishlist? All we get instead are more Gears Pop news... So infuriating!

The refunds and wishlist are already on Xbox. You sure you actually own this console?

LOL, you said Time is Money and then told me you will spend your extra time playing a game which doesn't make you money.

Anyway, when I trade things in I trade in 10-20 at a time and I usually end up with $200 to $300. I take advantage of trade in deals like getting an extra 20% or 40%. I bought my Wii U and Switch with trade ins and many games with trade ins. I just can't understand how can say that 'my digital game costed the same as your physical game but it's better because I can't trade it in for some money back'.

I have a lot of Steam games, I guess I'm just conditioned to not really care about trading my games in. If it's a concern for you there is a regular Xbox to buy, you can ignore this one.

There, I saved you money and time.

Top Bottom