• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No. 9 [New images from INTI FESTA]

There more I know the less I'm excited. I hope the gameplay is good, because the graphic style is not doing it for me. So far this does not look like the "mega man" sequel i wished it was going to be.. wish I'm proved wrong when It's finished..

andymcc

Banned
Considering these are the same guys that developed MM9/10, I still have confidence that it'll be better than most nostalgia-grasping indie throwbacks. I think the art is a touch serviceable and utilitarian, but if effects clash it can make it hard for the player to differentiate between fore/backgrounds in terms of environmental hazards... that would be more of a problem.

MrHoot

The art style ain't great i'll admit, but I played the beta and thought the gameplay was pretty solid so I think i'll enjoy it nonetheless.

Also please "not a creator", stop spouting Kamiya's every word like it's fucking gospel. I love the dude but he's far from being the best creative mind in the medium himself

Begaria

sequelitisbox.jpg

That's exactly what I thought when I saw that image.

duckroll

Considering these are the same guys that developed MM9/10, I still have confidence that it'll be better than most nostalgia-grasping indie throwbacks. I think the art is a touch serviceable and utilitarian, but if effects clash it can make it hard for the player to differentiate between fore/backgrounds in terms of environmental hazards... that would be more of a problem.

The thing is though, once they started revealing the details on the actual gameplay, it doesn't even sound like they're going for anything like MM9/10, or even MMZ. It seems to have more in common with their interest in exploring "alternative" gameplay styles using a sidescrolling format, and if Gunvolt was any indication, it's not what a lot of MM fans are going to be particularly happy about. That's fine on its own, but considering it was Kickstarted based entirely on Megaman nostalgia... lol.

The thing is though, once they started revealing the details on the actual gameplay, it doesn't even sound like they're going for anything like MM9/10, or even MMZ. It seems to have more in common with their interest in exploring "alternative" gameplay styles using a sidescrolling format, and if Gunvolt was any indication, it's not what a lot of MM fans are going to be particularly happy about. That's fine on its own, but considering it was Kickstarted based entirely on Megaman nostalgia... lol.
Yeah, I was expecting the game to play more Megaman X, instead it looks more and more like a Megaman X tool assisted speedrun with dashes every few seconds.

Plus it doesn't help that the level design looks utterly pathetic. The graphics are the least of my worries right now.

Raitaro

Looks washed-out, soulless and uninspired. It gives me a generic iOS clone kind of feeling.

I hope it plays better than it looks.

I can't help but agree wit this. Good gameplay could save this still indeed, but going by looks and first impressions of the level design alone, I can't help but be amazed at how the mighty have fallen in terms of hype and enthusiasm (pun partly intended).

We started with such an incredibly hype(d) Kickstarter that promised us nothing less than a game that could rival the Mega Man games of old in gameplay, sound and looks. What it had going for it is that Inafune and quite a few other former Capcom (Mega Man) staff members were to be directly involved, that the music would be by several Japanese veterans, and that none other than the 8-4 and Mega64 crews were doing the promotion for it. On top of that, the Kickstarter brought in far more money than the budget required, leading to even more hype.

The end result so far? A game that - again going mostly by looks and first impressions alone - seems rushed, aimless and soulless. It almost seems like Inafune and his crew are simply making it by the numbers to please fans and not with the mindset that it actually is their dream project come true (which might explain why Inafune acts as such a distanced play tester / producer in most of the videos instead of him being hands-on as a designer, a role I feel he should have chosen in this case).

Of course there is always a risk of people (like me) expecting too much and being too hyped, but keep in mind that pretty much all of this hype was quite consciously manufactured by Inafune/Comcept, 8-4 and Mega 64 and their use of the pedigree card and high quality promotional videos, and their focus on the incredible fan community. The often mentioned mock-up art did its part as well, with its successful attempt to summon a classic colorful 2D Mega Man look and feeling.

Man, what has happened between that Kickstarter and now? How did we get to such a disheartening point in time in which most people here (including me) seem so down on it because of the game's graphics? Such a bummer!

If this game ends up being reviewed poorly and selling poorly, it not only effectively kills off this series in one shot (as well as the chance for Capcom - who is probably eyeing this quite closely - to ever make more Mega Man games I would think), but also any good will fans have left for Inafune and his company. He would have no-one else to blame for this but himself unfortunately. Even if he had needed to invest personal money into this if the budget was still too tight somehow, or invest more time hand-on as a designer, he should have done so to make sure that Mighty No. 9 blows everyone away.

I admit i might be overreacting here even though I kept silent on the his game's development so far, but I felt I needed to blow off steam at some point. And for those still defending the game based on the claim that the gameplay will be solid: I hope it will and if it does, I'll be the first to admit it and eat crow. Heck, even the graphics might grow on me if the gameplay turns out good, but my whole point is that all of the built up hype led me to believe that both would be great on a first impression basis as well.

Ps. By the way, is it just me or is it not a bit weird that 8-4 rarely talks about this game at all anymore? I know their official work for it has ended quite some time ago, but their current silence (as THE former champions of it) does not really help to convince me that Inafune and Comcept are giving Mighty No. 9 their all or that they themselves still believe in the game.

Cavalier

Banned
If they proposed this game on kickstarter with these screenshots, I don't think most people would've supported it. I know I wouldn't have.

BUT I'll try it and hopefully it plays well.

They dropped the ball hard thought I have to admit. They really should've gone with this art style:
a1d0e45fc7a68f4c962f2ebcd7a2210c_large.jpg

MrBadger

Ah, the New Super Mario Bros. syndrome.

This has an even lower budget and, yet, it looks better imho.

noHa2ys.jpg

I think it looked better on the 3DS

large.jpg

The HD version's sprites look kinda inconsistent with its backgrounds.

Still, I would prefer 2D art for TMN9. They still plan on putting it on 3DS, right? Surely it must be easier to port a game that uses 2D assets over to a less powerful system

Wereroku

It plays like a faster Megaman game. It feels like one in my opinion so I think fans of Megaman will probably enjoy the gameplay tweaks they introduced. Also there is no alternative gameplay style in this it plays like a MM game with additional powerups.

Yeah, I was expecting the game to play more Megaman X, instead it looks more and more like a Megaman X tool assisted speedrun with dashes every few seconds.

Plus it doesn't help that the level design looks utterly pathetic. The graphics are the least of my worries right now.

The levels in the beta were a lot of fun. Also the videos you are watching are basically the equivalent of speed runs. They built the game to support continuous replays based around improving your time and upping your rating. However if you want to play it like an original MM game you can do that as well.

joe2187

Banned
The game looks great so far.

people who backed the kickstarter and only saw the concept art must not know how to read properly.

Note: All images on this page are concept art and not actual in-game screens.

We realize it can be hard to envision the project, since everything we’ve shown so far are mockups made for design documents. We do want to be clear this is no retro de-make; the fidelity we based our budget on to set our initial Kickstarter goal is for a game in-line with AAA current-gen console (PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U) 2D download titles. We can also safely say the plan is to use what is often called the “2.5D” setup: 3D models for characters and most objects, with the gameplay in 2D.

But maybe a better way of thinking about it is this: No matter what, Mighty No. 9 won’t be pushing the technological envelope of what the hottest AAA next-gen games are doing, but that’s not the point; the point is it’s going to look awesome—at least so awesome, in terms of both design and tech, that you won’t be thinking about how many polygons or shaders or GURPS or whatever that it’s pushing or not pushing. If you’re still wondering, you could look at the two developers working on Mighty No. 9, look at their previous games, look at the early art and overall production value you see evident on this page, and decide for yourself what they are capable of. Either way, we are confident that, if you were interested enough in the game to read this far into the page, you don’t need to worry about this.
Last updated: Sat, Aug 31 2013 5:28 PM PST

people who backed the kickstarter and only saw the concept art must not know how to read properly.
I can read
the point is it’s going to look awesome—at least so awesome, in terms of both design and tech, that you won’t be thinking about how many polygons or shaders or GURPS or whatever that it’s pushing or not pushing
And they failed

SDCowboy

I think it looks horrible visually. Very low budget in appearance. How it plays though is what will really matter. Here's hoping it plays a lot better than it looks!

TomShoe

Banned
It most certainly doesn't look like the concept art, but it doesn't look half-bad either. I'll have to see a price and whether there is cross-buy before I consider picking this up.

Respawn

Banned
Like what I see and I will play it. Once the gameplay for games like this are there Im in. Now lets see about that pricing.

andymcc

Banned

Fair point. I personally hope it's better than Gunvolt lol

nynt9

Guilty1.jpg

These are 3D models too. Just because you use 3D models doesn't mean you have to have a super sterile looking style. The art style of the final product looks nothing like the art style in that concept art.

230ijx8.jpg

a1d0e45fc7a68f4c962f2ebcd7a2210c_large.jpg

The concept art is a lot more vibrant, has more character, etc. None of the lighting or colorfulness in the concept art is in the final product. It does not even capture a similar feel. Sure, it's concept art, but there are many games out there that very closely capture what the concept art looked like.

Wereroku

These are 3D models too. Just because you use 3D models doesn't mean you have to have a super sterile looking style. The art style of the final product looks nothing like the art style in that concept art.

The concept art is a lot more vibrant, has more character, etc. None of the lighting or colorfulness in the concept art is in the final product. It does not even capture a similar feel. Sure, it's concept art, but there are many games out there that very closely capture what the concept art looked like.[/QUOTE]

People always come back to Xrd when they want to shit on 2.5d games. Yes it is very pretty and mimics sprite work beautifully. But it was also in development for longer and had a much larger budget than MN9. At least let the game be released before everyone shits on it. The beta's look good and play well. Yes it's not what the concept art showed but it is good in it's own right.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I backed this project and I am proud and please with what I see. Can't wait to play it.

Also please "not a creator", stop spouting Kamiya's every word like it's fucking gospel. I love the dude but he's far from being the best creative mind in the medium himself

Those people are just misquoting him anyway as Kamiya stated that he respect Infune.

People are never happy, especially on GAF. I guess being happy with a game is considered selling out to developers or something, because obviously they're all out to take advantage of us? The visuals aren't the absolute best, sure, and Beck is no Mega Man, but this still looks great. I'm hyped.

Top Bottom