• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mistwalker/Hironobu Sakaguchi's Terra Battle |OT| Season 2 has been unleashed!

batbeg

Hyperbole sure as it is early, but still say this is my favorite mobile game of all time so far.

The only game I've enjoyed as much is Might and Magic Clash of Heroes, which is also interestingly based off of positioning units with great care for future moves. It gains points for being a paid app, but loses some for being a port, so they come out about even for me thus far :p

Takuan

I got Rikken but didn't want her. Been rolling and managed an A and S just now, tempted to keep but might as well try for better.

bon

Now that I've spent some time with this, I have to say it's one of the best phone games I've played (maybe the best?). The art and music are good, and killing a bunch of enemies by arranging your units just right is really satisfying. This is a pleasant surprise.

anaron

Now that I've spent some time with this, I have to say it's one of the best phone games I've played (maybe the best?). The art and music are good, and killing a bunch of enemies by arranging your units just right is really satisfying. This is a pleasant surprise.
I'm so excited to see how it evolve with the stretch goals. Co-op and versus are perfect for this.

Longsword

This!

I like the idea of the download starter unlocking deal, but I wish we actually got updates on the download numbers at more frequent intervals.

Seems to be once per 1-2 days. As they are getting DLs quickly, I think they want to pace this so the Download Starter does not run out things too quickly. They also only released in the parts of the world where the bulk of the money will be made, so they are getting the most financially valuable downloads first towards the DL Starter campaign. Makes sense as funding all that extra stuff takes a lotta loot.

Hastati

Yessss Amimari!! Really love the art in this game... Kinda hope they work on the backgrounds though, would almost prefer a stereoscopic battlefield to disconnected stills as some of them can be kind of jarring.

I wonder if this game will have godfests? Anyone else saving up all of their rewards?

Veldin

I like the fast and flexible movement of the battle system. There's a lot of creative stuff you can do if you're quick enough. But I feel like this could be so much more fleshed out than what it is.

I'd love to see a more fully fledged SRPG come out of this, maybe in the console version if its gets developed.

Azusa

My luck... I have got the same hero twice.

VplRlf2.png

Hastati

These designs man. I feel like the artwork alone makes the game worth playing.

I agree. The artwork is really top-notch. It's also really weird. A lot of the characters become increasingly abstract as they level up in jobs, and quite frequently lose limbs and become mechanized Frankensteinian creature things.

Also the lore so far is wacky and fun, some of the character backstories are out of left field. Like Amimari's family being destroyed by an evil lawyer....

J0dy77

I got Rikken but didn't want her. Been rolling and managed an A and S just now, tempted to keep but might as well try for better.

I've been rolling for two days straight and have only seen one S class card. I'm hoping I just have bad luck and this isn't the awful rate of the rem in this game. Anyone else having similar or better luck?

I'm also wondering if I should just use the S class and A class rolls I got. Would I be that limited?

I agree. The artwork is really top-notch. It's also really weird. A lot of the characters become increasingly abstract as they level up in jobs, and quite frequently lose limbs and become mechanized Frankensteinian creature things.

Also the lore so far is wacky and fun, some of the character backstories are out of left field. Like Amimari's family being destroyed by an evil lawyer....

im going to assume they lose limbs through the course of battle.

there's one nurse who truly embodies the risk of bikini armor. she loses half her body!

I love reading the lore bits too. For a mobile game, this one is full of soul and essence. It is also very fun and addicting, I play it in short bursts, between bus stops, or while commuting to college. The matches are fast, you can even fast forward the animations, and the strategies that you can pull off, when well done, give you such a great feeling of accomplishment. This is a mobile game done right in my eyes.

Koozek

Man, this is addictive :D I still don't understand the battle system fully and I'm at chapter 4. Sometimes I don't know why certain chains are established the way the are, hmm. Can you play the tutorial again? I can't find anything and the help section isn't helpful either^^

Is there any way to auto turn on fast forward during battles? I can't find it in the options menu, I really hope they patch it in soon…

EDIT: The metal zone is open!

Man, this is addictive :D I still don't understand the battle system fully and I'm at chapter 4. Sometimes I don't know why certain chains are established the way the are, hmm. Can you play the tutorial again? I can't find anything and the help section isn't helpful either^^

yeah sometimes i got confused too.

like sometimes, i think a bow and magic user just have to have an enemy in between them no matter the number of free cells to attack them. also my healer heals people on his same line only he if isnt one of the 2 attackers or something. but then sometimes he heals others on the horizontal line (might be a special skill).

Koozek

yeah sometimes i got confused too.

like sometimes, i think a bow and magic user just have to have an enemy in between them no matter the number of free cells to attack them. also my healer heals people on his same line only he if isnt one of the 2 attackers or something. but then sometimes he heals others on the horizontal line (might be a special skill).
Hahaha, that's exactly my problem, too. I mostly use my intuition, but I'd really like to know the exact rule. I hope there's a tutorial somewhere.

Hastati

im going to assume they lose limbs through the course of battle.

there's one nurse who truly embodies the risk of bikini armor. she loses half her body!

Ahahah! Finally, a game that accepts the painful realities of fanservice war.

I love reading the lore bits too. For a mobile game, this one is full of soul and essence. It is also very fun and addicting, I play it in short bursts, between bus stops, or while commuting to college. The matches are fast, you can even fast forward the animations, and the strategies that you can pull off, when well done, give you such a great feeling of accomplishment. This is a mobile game done right in my eyes.

It's actually more exciting when you turn on fast-forward, since things start zipping across the screen at light speed in every direction.

The only problem I have with the game is the stamina system, which I just dislike in general. I mean I'm used to it from PAD, but I feel that there's gotta be a better way to do it. At least it cuts down your daily playtime!

colinp

Banned
I've been rolling for two days straight and have only seen one S class card. I'm hoping I just have bad luck and this isn't the awful rate of the rem in this game. Anyone else having similar or better luck?

I'm also wondering if I should just use the S class and A class rolls I got. Would I be that limited?

Exactly the same as me!

Can't belive my lack of luck.

Chapter 12 is hard; I feel like I hit a roadblock...

Did you go for a SS starter?

Hastati

Exactly the same as me!

Can't belive my lack of luck.

Did you go for a SS starter?

I rolled for two days and saw two SS drops. The rates are low but not abysmal (I'm looking at you, blue metatron...), it seems like it's about a 5-10% chance of an S or SS. I'm sure you'll roll one. Make sure you fast forward through animations and grab that gift!

Or you could not worry about it and just start playing. I just personally have an obsessive love/hate relationship with the thrill of mindlessly grinding for a single rare pull from the gatcha. Ugh.

i did the safari zone thing and almost got wiped out in the first battle. the next 4 battles were just me trying to align with the P block, making my healer heal every 1-2 rounds to survive.

i didnt get jack squat either since 3/6 characters got wiped at the beginning

EDIT:

ok guys one major question. when i run over a placed unit with my moving unit, the static unit moves. in the tutorial this helps for when one of your units is diagonal to an enemy and the static unit moves to a more favorable position like here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYvRhqPBwGE#t=362

i ASSUMED that your unit moved in the same direction you touched them with your moving unit. but once or twice my static unit just moves to a random or even more inconvenient cell. anyone figured out the trick or rule yet?

EDIT 2:

OH NOW I GET IT! now im doing fancy things like doing circles around 2-3 characters at once to setup X5 comboes! this makes things MUCH easier! :D specially for the metal battles! so much EXP!

Marvelous

Enjoying the game so far.
After rerolling four or five times, I managed to pull two SS class characters. Jennish and Yukken. :D

Oh, and 200k downloads have been reached already. I wonder how long it'll take for them to get the new characters ready.

KTallguy

Banned
I'm continuing to comment in this thread, just because the game is good and I want more people to try it.

I haven't spent a dime and I'm enjoying the actual strategy that the game offers. It's getting harder, but I'm willing to spend maybe 5 dollars at most to buy a few good characters.

I know it's early but so far this feels like F2P done correctly.

SirKhalid

I'm continuing to comment in this thread, just because the game is good and I want more people to try it.

I haven't spent a dime and I'm enjoying the actual strategy that the game offers. It's getting harder, but I'm willing to spend maybe 5 dollars at most to buy a few good characters.

Well $5 would be one character only.

Chapter 12 is hard; I feel like I hit a roadblock...
If you've been using Metal and Hunting Zone 2, you shouldn't have any problems with those chapters, even with B and A ranks.

Chapter 18 is considered the real first hell roablock.
(if you don't have any characters with levitation)

Example of what to expect (not my pic):
terrabattle-wiki

Well $5 would be one character only.

yeah that's my one dislike of it. $5 for a character. I'll stick with leveling up my measly fodder units atm thank you very much!

and now that im getting the hang of re-positioning combos even more so!

Good game. Like it very much. The UI the Music the concept is all great. definitely has changed my attitude on mobile games.

Clunker

I downloaded this a few days ago but just had the time to try it out yesterday - really excellent! I was afraid of it being a Puzzle and Dragons ripoff but it's really far more puzzley and fun.

Anyone who likes this might want to check out Rune Raiders on iOS - I'm on my phone so can't really grab screenshots but it has a very similar approach, except you have a static set of characters you can hire/draw from and you actually work your way through a level, marching forward through a set pattern of enemies (akin to line drops in Tetris). Still has the same drag-and-drop controls and positional combat, but a little more rogue like-like, if that makes sense.

Visceir

I spent my first 5$ on the game, got 6 energy of which 1 I spent on stamina to finish up a chapter and 5 to get a new character. Got an A class archer, but since I already had 2 archers I didn't start using it. He can change jobs into a mage and inflict status effects, I suppose it could have gone worse, haha. Really enjoying the game and I don't mind supporting the dev.

Also gave the 3000 coin recruitment a try. Got a B class Sabertooth King that is a boss monster of one of the chapters. So I guess you can get B class characters from that one, probably just monsters though.

meow

I've rerolled liked 5 times and never gotten above an A/A combo. I know it only takes like 15 mins each time but replaying is getting TOO BORING.

I kept getting lizards but got Eileen and Nakupi this time, just gonna roll with it.

Koozek

I threw them 5€ as support. I feel bad otherwise. Most won't pay anything, I suppose. How should a small company like Mistwalker survive off that? I would've been happy if I could just pay upfront and then never bother with the Stamina system again, but I guess it's hard to find a balance with the pricing, as, let's say, only 6-10€ upfront is cheaper than only two packs of 6xEnergy. F2P is so stupid with its reliance on whales. Hmm, I'm really curious to see what the future of mobile gaming will look like^^

AwShucks

Might have missed a post about this but I got three metal tickets in the messages to use in the arena. Between that and the metal zone opening I just got a glorious 5 or so levels per character (only used one of the tickets).

KTallguy

Banned
I think that it's a balance, right?
If you provide a robust PvP arena, people get motivated to keep up in that arena.

For me personally, I'd rather pay 5-10 dollars and just unlock a bunch of stuff.
I'll never pay for a stamina boost or a "one more try" boost.
I'd rather win with strategy.

Basically, you give people the option to spend a lot of money if they're really competitive. If they're not, you nudge them with challenge, or with vanity/cool stuff.

Edit: Oh and the fact that Mistwalker is a small company works in their advantage here, because they don't have huge overhead costs. They need a lot of downloads because statistically they'll get more money that way. The fact that the payment hooks are not so insidious is good for the consumer, but hopefully they can convert enough people.

Top Bottom