• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto: Nintendo can't comment on NX because of "an idea that we're working on"

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
It's probably the hybrid thing. Right?

Yup.

They'll have a semi powerful handheld that comes with an HDMI signal sender that uses WiiU streaming tech. It'll have Bluetooth and USB as well in the sender.

Been on this train for 2 years. I'm riding it till the bitter end.

Matbtz

And it worked.

They also did:

shoulder buttons
3d stick
rumble

But it has nothing to do with wii or wiiu. Nothing motion related but something fresh.

The console industry needs it, because the sales are really bad this gen.

People are sick of gfx upgrade, they want to have fresh games, thats why many are hyped with the VR.

I believe the next feature could be like 3d stick or shoulder buttons, the next revolution on standard controller ! Here come the scroll wheel shoulders, haptic sticks/ shoulders or a small free form display with tactus like buttons or else !

They never added the 2nd gamepad support they promised @E3'12.

The 2nd GamePad was actually implemented on the dev kit side, but they never sold additional GamePads and I doubt any developer wanted to hang their hopes on a (likely expensive) accessory.

I really, really hope it's not an underwhelming gimmick this time around.

But considering that Nintendo doesn't seem to care for "hardcore" gamers and is after the "blue ocean", it probably will be.

They wanna get every type of gamer...they do know that the "blue ocean" phase is over. They lost these kind of customers after the Wii and it showed with the Wii U.

And "gimmick" sounds always so bad. Miyamoto probably just wanted to say that they are not ready zo talk about NX yet and are still fine tuning the device.

I'd also like to see a much more rapid release schedule of internal software if the rumors of a hybrid are true. Waiting for Nintendo published software on the Wii U was a pain. If they can have the same number of combined games released on the 3DS and Wii U, I'd be totally fine with limited third party support.

SOR5

lol, Nintendo is so full of themselves. Whatever it is, Sony and MS wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

Well first you have Playstation Move

Then you have Phil Spencer effectively saying how much he loves Nintendo and wants to be like them

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
lol, Nintendo is so full of themselves. Whatever it is, Sony and MS wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

Except Sony definitely wanted to touch Motion Controls.

And rumble.

And the analog stick.

And Christ, have you seen the Playstation controller? It's practically a SNES controller with a terrible D-Pad.

Fox318

3HwOEwP.jpg

You die in real life, you die in the game

gamerMan

So true. Yah Nintendo won't be able to touch innovations like the touchpad on the PS4 dualshock and rear touchpad on PS Vita. Those things are game changers. I am sitting here playing Uncharted 4 with my dualshock touchpad with a ten foot pole. It's a great new idea that is clearly not a gimmick.

Matbtz

This is what I'm thinking, too

They said no because it's not mainstream enough and the technology is not fun at the moment (Reggie said).

Edit : If they are planning to add VR functionality I think this will be for later stage or for Vive/occulus headset

LordOfChaos

There was something about them holding back a bit to investigate VR, right? I was sort of imagining a tablet controller that you could put an inexpensive head contraption on to make it work like Google Cardboard. But, weight would be one thing.

Kimawolf

I am betting the farm on one of two things, or both combined.
Supplemental Computing Device (SCD)

Perhaps they’ve perfected it and then it makes complete sense to sell a system as weak as Xbone for 199 because you can give gamers the options of enhancing their own experience by as much as they want. Perhaps using PC like settings to determine the fidelity of your game based on what kind of SCD you’re using. Then all the rumors would make sense. Even the handheld could possibly offset some physics/AI and other things to servers/ PnP as they stated, I’d imagine having fully animated, semi interactive sky boxes with hundreds of things going on, or a really intricate night time or day time sky, more intricate weather systems etc.

That’d be a real revolution and it could work for both. Could be why some “leaks” have said its pretty impressive, and others have said not so much.

This one is a bit more out there but:

Advanced AR

Some kind of advance in AR in a way which makes it affordable and fun, like NX mobile platform comes with “glasses” which give you an augmented view. I imagine playing pokemon and actually seeing the pokemon in real life battle would be pretty amazing. Or Yugioh or something and having an actual card battle, but a Magic: the Gathering game where you see the battle taking place in real time. Maybe even allow people with said AR glasses or NX portable to also watch these battles, then it can bring back table top gaming/social interaction in a huge way, which we know Nintendo is keen on. And for the console AR glasses could do something as simple as display communication chatter or something or a small hud which comes up if you glance at it, or any number of things.

It’s something which could also work outside of just gaming, like a google glasses done right, in a more mainstream, simple direction ala Nintendo.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Augmented Reality with no glasses, basically holograms.
Technically, you don't need glasses for AR. Just one or few displays, a decent camera, and sufficient computational power.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Kinda shows ya how bad they fucked up with Wii U.

Probably partially they're timid about showing this thing off. Everything leading up to Wii U was a disaster.

Yep, Nintendo tends to overcorrect their mistakes. "Everyone was disappointed we didn't show Zelda in E3 2015...." / "We'll only show Zelda in E3 2016".

An idea huh? But the Wii U GamePad was an idea. And look how that turned out!

In all seriousness, it's kind of odd that they're still working on the NX concept this close to its launch. He has to be referring to a game here, because the hardware can't NOT be finalized at this point.

KrawlMan

And Christ, have you seen the Playstation controller? It's practically a SNES controller with an amazing D-Pad.

Fixed. I'm sure it depends on the kinda games you play, but I love the ps dpad. It doesn't affect your argument tho. Nintendo have been trailblazers for a while. They have missteps but it doesn't mean Sony/MS aren't watching closely.

maxcriden

They wanna get every type of gamer...they do know that the "blue ocean" phase is over. They lost these kind of customers after the Wii and it showed with the Wii U.

And "gimmick" sounds always so bad. Miyamoto probably just wanted to say that they are not ready zo talk about NX yet and are still fine tuning the device.

Hm, but, I thought there was a comment from Reggie recently about not wanting to compete in the red ocean? Something like that?

(I agree with your points, though.)

There is an idea of the NX; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real console: only an entity, something illusory. And though it can be presumed to exist, and you can grip its controller and feel plastic gripping your flesh and maybe you can even sense its power is probably comparable to others... It is simply not there.

Jubenhimer

But there's a reason they lost those customers, and the blame for that goes entirely to Nintendo. The Wii succeded because it presented a simple, non-intimidating control scheme that lowered the barrier of entry for console gaming for people who never played games before. However, iOS eventually came on to the scene and grew in popularity with the conviniece of downloading games for $2-3, just as the Wii was showing it's age. Then comes the Wii U, which was a misguided attempt at converting the Wii audience to more complex games, but all it really did drive them further away to mobile. Not only were they confused as to whether it was a new system or not, The platform's main gimmick was an expensive, needlessly complicated controller that not only lacked the Wii Remote's simplicity, but just looked like and unappealing tablet add-on. On top of that, many games required the use of so many different controllers because you could only use one Gamepad at a time, that it just became a mess.

For the NX to succeed with for a mass market, it needs to both bring something new to the table, and return to the design ethos of the Wii. A simple, accessible, and fun machine for all ages and play styles.

Yep, Nintendo tends to overcorrect their mistakes. "Everyone was disappointed we didn't show Zelda in E3 2015...." / "We'll only show Zelda in E3 2016".

That or they under correct them. "We learned our lesson from the N64 not having optical media, so here's this proprietary mini-disc format that holds a fraction of a single layer DVD".

Mr-Joker

Banned
Yep. Let me play Zelda on my computer and I'm there. That would be a great thing for me.

Fixed it for you, Nintendo wouldn't get any benefit from releasing their game on PC or any non-Nintendo games.

You seem to be misremembering when both Microsoft and Sony chased after the Wiimote gimmick.

psmove-top-01-top.jpg

8991d7b5-c14f-4b30-9b89-deb3ba52069c.jpg

inner-G

Banned
It's like a HD DS, but it requires having 2 TVs mounted right on top of each other. You write on the bottom TV with a stylus

Just like dual screens were dumb and motion controls were dumb

That's not exactly a great argument.

I liked motion controls, but remind me again what the current state of them is? Kinect is more or less dead, the Wiimote is dead, and pretty much the only notable uses of gyro controls in the past few years have been Splatoon and Star Fox, and in Star Fox's case it was extremely divisive. I liked dual screens on the DS consoles, but they haven't been particularly well-utilized in ages and dual screens flopped miserably on the Wii U (for good reason).

Breath of the Wild, a game that is shaping up to be perhaps one of Nintendo's biggest AAA games ever, uses neither. If that's not proof Nintendo's modern gimmicks have failed to catch on, I don't know what is.

Miyamoto throwing some shade at Sony/MS with that, "Just a matter of following advancements in technology."

And yet of the three, the current market leader by a massive margin is the one that right out of the gate publically committed to just "following advancements in technology". And the one in distant last is the one most heavily committed to doing the opposite. Hmm.

Top Bottom