• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moana |OT| - "If you wear a dress and have an animal sidekick, you're a princess"

Status
Not open for further replies.
She's pretty buff for a Disney Princess, I like that.

I'm interested. Hope it's better than Brave.

It's waaaaaay better than Brave that's for sure. Brave is bottom tier Pixar along with cars 2. Still mad that it stole an Oscar from Wreck It Ralph.

Sean C

Having seen the film last night, I would overall say this is a very fun adventure film, though in the comparison game I'd probably put it below Zootopia for Disney's animated output this year.

First, purely in terms of animation, the whole film is gorgeous. This isn't terribly surprising, perhaps, given the caliber of recent Disney CGI animation, but this film is lush even by those standards. This definitely warrants being seen in theatres and even with 3D (a format that is far better-served by animation than live-action). I especially like the way that a few sequences incorporate quasi-2D textures, which lends it a very different look. The mythological subject-matter also really lends itself to vivid, striking imagery.

Musically, I will say, I was slightly underwhelmed, but I think that's mainly because with Lin-Manuel Miranda involved the obvious comparison point is Hamilton -- and this isn't Hamilton. The heroine's songs all feel to me like they stop right when they're just getting going (and making them all effectively reprises means they're a bit lacking in variety). The obvious standout is "You're Welcome", which I think is genius, both as a song and as a sequence.
The film doesn't have a single villain, so the villain song is already, by nature, more isolated than others. "Shiny" is definitely LMM operating much like he did with King George III's numbers in Hamilton, doing a goofy retro riff; quirky, rather than intimidating.

I really like
the resolution of the story, which doubles down on the idea that Maui really did cause all these problems (albeit in a well-intentioned manner), and it's solved via reconciliation rather than defeating the supposed monster.

Enjoyed it a lot. I was surprised by how long it took for Moana to really start her journey, but I didn't think that was bad. The complaint that Moana lacks a character arc is without merit, I feel, but it's true that Maui's arc is stronger. The songs were great, and when I was leaving the theater, some people were singing "How Far I'll Go".

Malyse

Enjoyed it a lot. I was surprised by how long it took for Moana to really start her journey, but I didn't think that was bad. The complaint that Moana lacks a character arc is without merit, I feel, but it's true that Maui's arc is stronger. The songs were great, and when I was leaving the theater, some people were singing "How Far I'll Go".
To be fair, it's in the movie four times.

Unless you fuck up and leave during the credits.

zeshakag

I thought this was really good. Definitely a lot better than Frozen, and I would put it above Tangled. I thought the second act was pretty weak, but the first and third acts were great.

Saw it. Really enjoyed it as did my kids.

my only complaint, and it's minor, is that they had just reconciled Maui and showed him more or less committed to returning the stone just to have him take off almost immediately once getting there so that Moana could have her girl power moment. That and the grandma's ghost showing up. Would have preferred her staying as a manta. Felt like it cheapened her death a little. That whole sequence just felt kind of forced and stretched out to me.

Great movie though. Goes without saying that it was one of the most gorgeous animated movies I've seen in awhile.

GhaleonEB

I really like
the resolution of the story, which doubles down on the idea that Maui really did cause all these problems (albeit in a well-intentioned manner), and it's solved via reconciliation rather than defeating the supposed monster.

Just got back from it, and this is something that stood out to me as well. The grand showdown was
about understanding and forgiveness, not revenge. Nicely handled, too.

Overall this is up there with Tangled and Zootopia. Disney is on a crazy streak with animation.

Tunahead

It's waaaaaay better than Brave that's for sure. Brave is bottom tier Pixar along with cars 2. Still mad that it stole an Oscar from Wreck It Ralph.

Wreck-It Ralph? The movie where an arbitrary hate figure learns that a vitally important part of being a minority is to not rock the boat? Where the climax involves a foreign dictator rising to power through genocide, and immediately reminding everyone present that she could have them all imprisoned indefinitely without trial?

Glad to hear it's doing well. Disney Animation Studios are on a roll at the moment and I'm happy to see their films do great financially.

I just, I really want Moana to beat Frozen. That would mean so much. Plus it would tell Disney that they can have representation without sacrificing profits.

I doubt that. Frozen was a cultural phenomenon (my daughter was 2 at the time and she and all her friends were obsessed with it), and I think it's still the highest grossing animated film. I would love to see that happen too though.

How much did Tangled, Frozen and Zootopia end up making at the Box Office? And how much has Moana made so far?

I think Tangled was $500+ million, Zootopia just over a billion and Frozen about $1.2 billion.

Wreck-It Ralph? The movie where an arbitrary hate figure learns that a vitally important part of being a minority is to not rock the boat? Where the climax involves a foreign dictator rising to power through genocide, and immediately reminding everyone present that she could have them all imprisoned indefinitely without trial?
What the fuck?

Are you sure you watched "Wreck it Ralph" and not "My wildly reductive reasoning to post edgy, hyperbolic nonsense"?

Peru

I just, I really want Moana to beat Frozen. That would mean so much. Plus it would tell Disney that they can have representation without sacrificing profits.

Obviously Moana doing well is good for everyone - for more heroines like this, for more varied perspectives, for more diversity in family pictures.

But Frozen also showed that two female main characters and their relationship - with almost no love story (only a subverted one and a cute little twist at the end) could become the biggest Disney thing ever. Like or dislike the movie - personally I thought it was wonderfully fresh in its own way (and started the tradition of hiring hip Broadway talent) - but it's not really the symbolic final boss that needs to be beat. Not to mention becoming the biggest hit directed by a woman ever.

Malyse

Are you high?

Garlador

I think Tangled was $500+ million, Zootopia just over a billion and Frozen about $1.2 billion.
Disney right now.
Donald-Duck-money-pile.gif

So much of it is deserved too.

Here's a sneak peak at the finale of the film...

I honestly have no idea. I'm still a bit traumatized by the firefly's death in Princess and the Frog...

Watched Big Hero 6 for the first time withmy son...

15 minutes in and there's a funeral scene

I watch movies to be entertained, not cry lol

How much singing is there? I could deal with Tangled but Frozen drove me to insanity.
There are a fair number of songs, but I'm not sure if your issue is really with the number of songs or the song quality. Maybe you can listen to part of the soundtrack beforehand and see how you react:
In case anyone in here missed it from when I posted it back in the review thread, here's the whole soundtrack:

1. Tulou Tagaloa. WOW!
2. An Innocent Warrior. WOW!
3. Where You Are.
4. How Far I'll Go.
5. We Know The Way. WOW!
6. How Far I'll Go (Reprise)
7. You're Welcome. WOW!
8. Shiny.
9. Logo Te Pate. WOW!
10. I Am Moana. WOW!
11. Know Who You Are.
12. We Know The Way (Finale)
13. How Far I'll Go (Credits)

The soundtrack is really solid. Not one song is weak. Catchy, upbeat, epic and emotional! It's got it all! I've already got most of them stuck in my head!

Does this have any sad scenes like most Disney movies nowadays? How many funerals / family deaths are in it?
There are sad scenes.
There is one death in the first half, and there are moments when the characters give up.

Tunahead

What the fuck?

Are you sure you watched "Wreck it Ralph" and not "My wildly reductive reasoning to post edgy, hyperbolic nonsense"?

Yeah, good idea, attack the messenger when you can't attack the message. I criticized the movie you liked. How edgy. Clearly this is a sign of a rebellious and ultimately childish phase of puberty on my part.

In the film, Ralph fulfills the role people demand of him, and then they still hate him because that's his role in society. And when he tries to change that, the message is that he was wrong to do so. And at the end they "accept" him but hey, gotta throw you off the roof now! That's how society works! And I'm like 99% sure that's not the message that the creators intended, or at least hope so, but that's what the message is. It's not even subtext. It's just text.

I was being cheeky about the genocidal dictator stuff, but I didn't like Vanellope either. She sort of occupies the same role as Ralph, being ostracized for being different. And she mostly acts like a jerk and eventually people accept her for dumb magical plot reasons instead of accepting her for who she is. And Ralph mostly wasn't a jerk and goes back to his shitty life where he's occasionally allowed to briefly glimpse the chosen one who broke through the glass ceiling while people are throwing him off roofs. What the fuck, movie? What is the moral even supposed to be anymore? If people are bigoted towards you, you'll eventually be accepted if you act like an asshole and also involve a wizard in the proceedings? Oh, and her putdowns were weak. It's like the writers decided that since she was a small child, they didn't have to try. Lazy writing! Always a sign of quality!

When I think about Wreck-It Ralph, I just feel a thousand years older. It's a harrowing, depressing experience. It has a twisted moral that's so impenetrable it's impossible to even criticize it properly, and everyone is a racist or an asshole, but at the end they mostly learn to disguise their awfulness under several protective layers of irony. Like Vanellope, who I now remember didn't actually tell people she'd have them imprisoned. She told them she'd have them executed. But don't worry, it was a joke! Your monarch, who has power of life and death over you, joked about your murder! Judas Priest.

Garlador

Yeah, good idea, attack the messenger when you can't attack the message. I criticized the movie you liked. How edgy. Clearly this is a sign of a rebellious and ultimately childish phase of puberty on my part.

In the film, Ralph fulfills the role people demand of him, and then they still hate him because that's his role in society. And when he tries to change that, the message is that he was wrong to do so. And at the end they "accept" him but hey, gotta throw you off the roof now! That's how society works! And I'm like 99% sure that's not the message that the creators intended, or at least hope so, but that's what the message is. It's not even subtext. It's just text.

I was being cheeky about the genocidal dictator stuff, but I didn't like Vanellope either. She sort of occupies the same role as Ralph, being ostracized for being different. And she mostly acts like a jerk and eventually people accept her for dumb magical plot reasons instead of accepting her for who she is. And Ralph mostly wasn't a jerk and goes back to his shitty life where he's occasionally allowed to briefly glimpse the chosen one who broke through the glass ceiling while people are throwing him off roofs. What the fuck, movie? What is the moral even supposed to be anymore? If people are bigoted towards you, you'll eventually be accepted if you act like an asshole and also involve a wizard in the proceedings? Oh, and her putdowns were weak. It's like the writers decided that since she was a small child, they didn't have to try. Lazy writing! Always a sign of quality!

When I think about Wreck-It Ralph, I just feel a thousand years older. It's a harrowing, depressing experience. It has a twisted moral that's so impenetrable it's impossible to even criticize it properly, and everyone is a racist or an asshole, but at the end they mostly learn to disguise their awfulness under several protective layers of irony. Like Vanellope, who I now remember didn't actually tell people she'd have them imprisoned. She told them she'd have them executed. But don't worry, it was a joke! Your monarch, who has power of life and death over you, joked about your murder! Judas Priest.

... Heh. It was a good joke.

I think you're seeing a message that's not there.

I took away that Ralph was frustrated because society didn't accept him as he was created, so he tried to become something he was not, and peace was only brought about when both Ralph and the citizens accept Ralph for the person that he was born to be.

It could be because I saw the movie with my gay roommate, and that really left an impression on him. He shared with me his struggles of feeling ostracized and vilified for being the way he was, of trying so hard to be something he wasn't, until he finally accepted who he was and found people who accepted him as he was. He told me to just replace the word "villain" with "gay" in Ralph's speech and see what kind of message it conveys, and it's pretty interesting.

Granted, that was my reading of the film and the discussion we had.

Tunahead

I'd probably agree with you, if it weren't for Ralph's AA meetings. If Ralph accepts who he is and everyone else accepts who he is at the end and everything is fine, why does he have to go to meetings where people try to cope with an awful part of their lives? "I think I can deal with this happy ending with a support group, one day at a time."

Ultimately my problem with Wreck-It Ralph is that it has a lot of ideas for a good movie about overcoming bigotry, but each of the ideas is for a different movie about overcoming bigotry. They just don't work together at all.

Garlador

I'd probably agree with you, if it weren't for Ralph's AA meetings. If Ralph accepts who he is and everyone else accepts who he is at the end and everything is fine, why does he have to go to meetings where people try to cope with an awful part of their lives? "I think I can deal with this happy ending with a support group, one day at a time."

Ultimately my problem with Wreck-It Ralph is that it has a lot of ideas for a good movie about overcoming bigotry, but each of the ideas is for a different movie about overcoming bigotry. They just don't work together at all.

My friend had a support group too in college. They were mostly gay and transgendered. Just because they found people who accepted them doesn't mean that others joining the group had reached the same level or that bigotry ceased for everyone. He kept going long after having peace with himself because not everyone there was at that point yet, and the nature of a support group is to stay, well, supportive, even when things are going right and not only when times are bad.

Moonkeis

I just got back from the theater with my kids, we all really enjoyed the movie. The chicken does a good job of keeping the kids entertained. The short was really good too.

Blizzard

Banned
I just saw it tonight. There was one slow section, but other than that it was beautiful and thoroughly enjoyable. 9/10 for me. "You're Welcome" was my favorite song. I felt the Rock really sold his role, both voice acting and singing.

I appreciated that Moana was viewed
as a future chief without any special comment or criticism of her being a woman, and that the movie was love-interest free

The grandmother was neat and reminded me of a Miyazaki wise old lady. The post-credits scene was amusing. Some kid was all "I DON'T GET IT" and his dad had to explain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom