• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modern Warfare 2 Will Render at 600p

obonicus

Gully State said:
You're talking about movement. But movement in an FPS is not just the analog vs. keyboard.

Yes, and I factored out the 'turning' by giving both theoretical interface methods a mouse.

Asmodai

Banned
OuterWorldVoice said:
This was a terrible thread to begin with - let us be clear: An objectively handsome game being assaulted for using a simple resolution solution to enhance its already good looks (frame rate/shader perf, etc) and now the entire thread has fallen firmly into Clown School.

We know PCs have higher resolution.
We know consoles are simple and convenient to use.
We know mouselook is more accurate.
We know analog sticks are comfy.
We know that many gaf-ers prefer one over the other for a multitude of reasons.
We know that lots of people play and enjoy both.

Just let this thread DIE. It is worthless and we are all stupider for participating in it.

xelmj8.gif

Gwanatu T

This thread doesn't need to die, it needs to be hammered in to the ground.

Tenks said:
Pixel whores get out. MF1 looked damn good for the time and the footage from E3 made MF2 look even better.

Seriously? Seriously? Seriously. Good Lord, what's the point of the "HD generation" if the highest of high profile games aren't even in the lowest HD resolution?

Asmodai

Banned
Gwanatu T said:
Seriously? Seriously? Seriously. Good Lord, what's the point of the "HD generation" if the highest of high profile games aren't even in the lowest HD resolution?

The point is so that the games look and play better, not so that people argue endlessly over how many damn pixels are on the screen.

Would you rather Modern Warfare 2 on consoles played at 720p, but with 30 FPS, no anti aliasing and a shitty draw distance? There are PLENTY of games that do just that. Go play one of them instead if you care about resolution so much.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Gwanatu T said:

Ignoring your avatar for a second:

1. The RAM, CP and GPUs contained in the HD consoles give them the flexibility to approach image quality from many angles, including compromising on actual pixels for other features - such as frame rate, shader detail, particle effects, AA and so on.
2. The end results often look so good that they require shitty threads to explain using text why the great looking graphics suck after all.
3. Because they output to HD TVs properly in the first place - the handshake between TV and console makes everything look better, as opposed to say, my non HD console which looks especially bad as a result of not doing that.

Chinner

Banned
OuterWorldVoice said:
This was a terrible thread to begin with - let us be clear: An objectively handsome game being assaulted for using a simple resolution solution to enhance its already good looks (frame rate/shader perf, etc) and now the entire thread has fallen firmly into Clown School.

We know PCs have higher resolution.
We know consoles are simple and convenient to use.
We know mouselook is more accurate.
We know analog sticks are comfy.
We know that many gaf-ers prefer one over the other for a multitude of reasons.
We know that lots of people play and enjoy both.

Just let this thread DIE. It is worthless and we are all stupider for participating in it.
oh look console defence force.

OuterWorldVoice said:
Ignoring your avatar for a second:

1. The RAM, CP and GPUs contained in the HD consoles give them the flexibility to approach image quality from many angles, including compromising on actual pixels for other features - such as frame rate, shader detail, particle effects, AA and so on.
2. The end results often look so good that they require shitty threads to explain using text why the great looking graphics suck after all.
3. Because they output to HD TVs properly in the first place - the handshake between TV and console makes everything look better, as opposed to say, my non HD console which looks especially bad as a result of not doing that.
It's like you're making sense but you're not. The graphics suck, yet they don't?

FireFly

I really don't get the fuss over this given that nothing has changed since the first MW. Was the first game blighted by its lack of resolution on the 360/PS3, were we all up in arms about how poor the graphics were?

Because at the end of the day, that's what matters: the graphics and the framerate, and for a console title, the original excelled in both areas.

dojokun

Banned
Dax01 said:
It's like you're making sense but you're not. The graphics suck, yet they don't?
I think the point is that good graphics is not a 1 dimensional thing. Resolution is not the only way to have impressive graphics.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
FireFly said:
Because at the end of the day, that's what matters: the graphics and the framerate, and for a console title, the original excelled in both areas.

well, there's no arguing that.

Chrange

Banned
I don't remember anyone saying how shit the CoD graphics were before the pixel-step counters weighed in lol

I mean...

ebe89i.jpg

2comm1x.jpg

2vv1b3s.jpg

99h2wz.jpg

Does that - at 60 fps - really look BAD? :lol

Asmodai

Banned
Dax01 said:

Dax, you like Halo, right? Would you rather Halo 3 ran at 30 FPS with 640p like it does now, or have it run at 20 FPS with 720p and other compromises? Seems like a no brainer.

Edit: 22 posts a day?? You've got to be kidding me. :lol

Asmodai said:
Dax, you like Halo, right? Would you rather Halo 3 ran at 30 FPS with 640p like it does now, or have it run at 20 FPS with 720p and other compromises? Seems like a no brainer.

I was just joking around. I thought it was obvious. :/

Edit: 22 posts a day?? You've got to be kidding me.

Hey.

Asmodai

Banned
vocab said:
FPS doesn't matter when the were talking about image quality.

Except that you need to lower image quality to get higher framerate!

What is wrong with some of you people? Would you rather have perfect IQ and the game running at 5 frames a second? You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Dax01 said:
I was just joking around. I thought it was obvious. :/

I thought you might have been...but in this thread, it's nigh impossible to tell who's kidding and who's not.

I was just kidding about that anyway. But really, where do you post? I would have thought I would see a lot more of your posts around if you posted that much.

Asmodai said:
I was just kidding about that anyway. But really, where do you post? I would have thought I would see a lot more of your posts around if you posted that much.
I know. But if you're wondering, just look at my post history. PoliGAF, Halo 3 thread... other threads. I don't know!

Full Recovery said:
must be the anti aliasing =P
Anti-aliasing? What is that? Jaggies are all I know.

vocab

Asmodai said:
Except that you need to lower image quality to get higher framerate!

What is wrong with some of you people? Would you rather have perfect IQ and the game running at 5 frames a second? You can't have your cake and eat it too.

I'm not complaining, and I never said it looked bad at all. I played COD4 at 800x600 with everything on low. Hell I modified my config so I don't have trash flying around/graffiti on walls/foliage. My game looks like trash with low poly textures, and I get 125 fps. I prefer performance over image quality.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
bran said:
lol.
nope what? that you don't know what 600p stretched to a 1080p TV looks like?

Nope to all the bullshit you wrote in your post, since it seems you don't even know that it's the X360 doing the scaling... so much for being an expert (lol).
And a direct feed on a TV will always looks better than a taken screenshot at the same resolution and displayed on monitor set at "x" resolution.
I take it it must have always seem magical to you why the usual PS2/GCN/XBX game looked so much better on your SD tv than the screenshots of the same games you browsed on your gaming webportal of choice.

Again, lol.

Top Bottom