• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mormon/Ex-Mormon Thread of 3 hour blocks and salvation flowcharts

Doodis

Holly and I were just in Waikiki in the first week of October. It was hilarious because you'd see advertisements for stuff like Hanauma bay (girl in a bikini), or Diamond Head (girl in a bikini) or rafting tours (girl in a bikini) or parasailing (girl in a bikini) then you come to the advertisement for the Polynesian cultural center (girl in a raft wearing a three layer shirt). You couldn't help but laugh.

Are you trying to tell me three-layer shirts aren't traditional Polynesian attire?!?

ronito

Are you trying to tell me three-layer shirts aren't traditional Polynesian attire?!?

The funny thing about that was there was a guy in traditional polynesian garb (no shirt, etc) and the girls in the boat looked like they could've come out of a BYU-I catalog. White (obviously) with coral or pistachio layered shirts with a white shirt underneath to cover the sinful cleavage. It was really quite funny.

Also, this policy thing still isn't going away. NY times just posted another story.

ronito

So this was on the Huffington Post today
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mette...e-ne_b_8629388.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

We have all read in recent weeks about Mormons who have resigned their membership in the Mormon church over the recent policy change declaring Mormons living in same-sex relationships to be "apostate" and subject to immediate excommunication proceedings, and to the consequences on their children--refusal to bless, baptize, ordain, or send them on missions. If you are one of the many Mormons who has a strong testimony of The Book of Mormon, who believes in modern prophecy and in the divine calling of the First Presidency and the Twelve, but still does not accept this new policy change as coming from God, there are, I believe, other ways that you can express your disagreement with the church besides resigning your membership. Here are some:

1. Direct your charitable giving this year to help Mormon LGBT teens who have been kicked out of their homes after coming out, like the Utah Pride Center.
2. Write a letter directly to the Presidency of the Church to express your love for LGBT people and your concern about the deleterious effects of this policy on them and their children.
3. Call out friends, family members, and ward members when they post homophobic things on facebook or other social media.
4. Wear black to church every day until this policy changes, and be vocal about why you are doing it if people ask.
5. Set an appointment with your bishop and/or stake president to discuss your concerns honestly and faithfully about the new policy.
6. When called on to pray in church, pray for love for all, for LGBT people in particular, and for the minds and hearts of church leaders to be changed.
7. Talk openly and tearfully about your opposition to this policy in church meetings, particularly those about eternal families, about repentance, about the worth of souls, and about the sins of the fathers not being on the heads of the children. Refuse to allow the controversy to die down.
8. Talk honestly about the risk of suicide to LGBT Mormons who feel unloved and unwanted by the church.
9. Tell LGBT friends directly and repeatedly that you are on their side, that your love for them is unconditional.
10. Find an on-line or IRL group to join that supports LGBT Mormons and attend rallies or march with them (Affirmation, Mormons Building Bridges, etc.)
11. Wear rainbow socks, ties, tights, or an armband to church to mark your position.
12. Insist that people do not forget the many years when the LDS Church recommended various reparative therapies to LGBT people, including mixed orientation marriages, which have produced the very children the church is now disavowing.
13. If you are in the leadership of the church, refuse to follow this policy. If this means being released, accept this as a consequence. The more this happens, the more the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve may be forced to pay attention to this issue.

Whether or not the Mormon church sees enough reaction from its membership to go to God about changing this policy, I do not feel I can in good conscience do nothing. The God I know loves all and I believe that He is the head of the Mormon church. I also believe that the prophets of the Mormon church are men of God, that they sincerely try to do what is right and to listen to God's voice--and that they get it wrong sometimes, just like the rest of us.

I have friends who have formally resigned their membership in the church because of this policy and I honor their choice. You can certainly speak with your feet on your way out the door. If that is what your conscience tells you to do, then you must follow your own sense of right and wrong. But for now, I feel that those who remain within the church can respectfully protest this policy and in doing so, can help LGBT members who are still in the pews, some of them out and some of them not. In particular, I am concerned about LGBT teens who are terrified to tell the truth about themselves to parents who do not realize yet that their own children are suffering because of this policy. Those are the ones who are at greatest risk of suicide and it is to them I feel I am speaking when I protest in the ways listed above.
Honestly, I don't know how I feel.

Like I've said the church wont listen to the inactive members. And also they'll only nominally listen to people leaving (they'll just say they're offended). But at the same time don't think these steps (aside from the leadership refusing to apply the policy) will do anything. Some of these are laughable (wear black, yeah, that'll change things) to downright mind breaking (good luck telling your LGBT friends repeatedly that you love them unconditionally when you refuse to leave a group that is not just not on their side, but unabashedly anti-LGBT).

It sorta has a feel of "yeah you might not be happy, but you ain't going to do shit." I don't know though how the church can be made to see the err of their ways. Really the best one I've heard is some gay couples that are supposedly organizing to start attending LDS churches with their kids. Personally, I think if they can actually get people dedicated enough to do it that's the most brilliant thing. Once mormons get exposed to gay families and their kids and see there's nothing wrong with them, that will shake people to start putting the church in a position where it must drop the policy.

But this? I just don't know

Thaedolus

Yeah but ronitoswife friended me on facebook so you know, I got that going for me, which is nice...

But in all seriousness...I don't know the answer. Part of me wants to pull no punches and just let everyone know how fucked up this whole thing is. Another part of me sees that as being counter-productive and feeding into the persecution complex. I don't think there's a right or wrong way about it really.

The LDS Church was ranked 22nd best company to work for on Glassdoor:

https://www.glassdoor.com/Best-Places-to-Work-LST_KQ0,19.htm

which is all kinds of weird to me.

6 of the 198 reviews were from people who listed their job title as Missionary, 5 were volunteers, 8 were various types of interns, 5 more were facilities management (I thought the Church dumped this years ago?).

99% CEO approval rating though!

Pros
You have the privilege of serving in the Lord's Kingdom everyday! You can know that what you are doing is really making a difference in the world.
Cons
The salary isn't as competitive as other companies for the same position. Sometimes policies and procedures take much longer than necessary.

Furyous

Might be forced out of the church relatively soon due to age. I joined the church in my mid to late 20's. Apparently I should've been in a hurry to get married or moved because now they want me to attend the family ward after being a part of the church for less than six years. Needless to say I'm not thrilled and had a 45 minute conversation with my bishop about this.

He claimed I was less active and sporadically attend church because I don't attend the two weekly social events that the ward throws. I correctly pointed out to him that outside of that there aren't actual opportunities to get to know someone within the church. It would be one thing if there were a movie night or some opportunity to fellowship but there isn't one so that leaves me to force things with undergraduate students in brief social situations.

Yeah I am beyond frustrated and basically told bishop IF they're going to do this then I'll completely go inactive. My future within the church is literally in their hands.

Doodis

Might be forced out of the church relatively soon due to age. I joined the church in my mid to late 20's. Apparently I should've been in a hurry to get married or moved because now they want me to attend the family ward after being a part of the church for less than six years. Needless to say I'm not thrilled and had a 45 minute conversation with my bishop about this.

He claimed I was less active and sporadically attend church because I don't attend the two weekly social events that the ward throws. I correctly pointed out to him that outside of that there aren't actual opportunities to get to know someone within the church. It would be one thing if there were a movie night or some opportunity to fellowship but there isn't one so that leaves me to force things with undergraduate students in brief social situations.

Yeah I am beyond frustrated and basically told bishop IF they're going to do this then I'll completely go inactive. My future within the church is literally in their hands.

Sorry, but the church is more about policy than they are about people. I just read a reddit post about some guy's grandma that crawls up and down the stairs in her home because her knees are so bad. She won't move to an assisted living facility because the closest one is just outside the ward boundaries and the bishop won't allow her to remain a member of that ward (where she's lived forever and where all her friends are) if she moves. It's sad.

ronito

I know you probably don't want to hear this, but you'll want a better reason for going inactive. Not for others, but for you. Without one you'll look back and think to yourself "I stopped going for THAT?" and start the cycle again. That's just my take.Either way, keep us posted.

Truth be told, I preferred family wards to YSA adult wards. YSAs are so childish and I feel infantilize members. Of course, I can't blame you for not thinking family wards wouldn't be much better. We've had this discussion here before though that the church has not kept up with society. It in essence expects people to graduate high school, go on a mission, come home and get married right away. It STILL hasn't found what to do about young people that come home and don't get married right away. It hasn't figured out how to address people in this demographic and it's really a huge contributor to the exodus going on. I know that exmos like to be like "Haha! They finally did the research and found it isn't true!!" but really I think most of the exodus are people that leave just because there's no place for them in the church.

ronito

Also, this is making the rounds.

yRuBAZi.jpg

I actually think it's funny. Because I think it was in this very thread where I said that a lot of the stuff that the church is admitting now people were originally taught were anti-mormon lies. I remember someone calling me out and saying "No it's not!"
Well...

ronitoswife

Neo Member
Also, this is making the rounds.

yRuBAZi.jpg

I actually think it's funny. Because I think it was in this very thread where I said that a lot of the stuff that the church is admitting now people were originally taught were anti-mormon lies. I remember someone calling me out and saying "No it's not!"
Well...

I don't know whether to laugh or to face palm at this, That poor person is in for a rude awakening someday and it will probably hit hard.

Thaedolus

I've got some real Poe's law going on with that post...I could see it as some sort of troll to get members to check out the essays. But I dunno.

My cousin just tried to re-engage me in some BoA debate. A long time ago I sent him this response to the LDS.org essay, which totally brutalizes the apologetics used there. First he tried to say this guy wasn't scholarly for misusing "ibid" in his citations. I pointed out that the usage was correct, and my cousin was like "oh I guess you're right." Then he tried to bring it up again, and told him to read the goddamn rebuttal because I don't have the time or care. Then he tried to pick apart a single point in the article.

Now he's asking me what I think about the things in the BoA which "Joseph Smith couldn't possibly have known in the 1800's." Like fucking what? He gets almost everything wrong. In like every single way the BoA is incorrect. Its history of Egypt is incorrect, translations of the facsimiles are incorrect, its Newtonian cosmology is incorrect. It's ridiculous. I'm still waiting on his specifics. I think I'm gonna post it to the ExMo reddit and let them shred it.

Doodis

Speaking of Poe's law, I saw this image
yY1ShoD.jpg

and thought, "Man that's a clever troll. Making him complain about people wishing him well in a way he doesn't agree with. Wonder who did that."

Turns out, it's really him. Yes, an apostle really wrote that.

https://www.facebook.com/lds.dallin.h.oaks/

"A few years ago, I decided to judge and then criticize my fellow well-wishers because I had nothing better to do as an apostle of the Lord..."

Furyous

Update: still in the church because bishop decided to give me a reprieve. At the point they send me to the family ward I'm inactive as being single shouldn't be the death knell for life in the church.

A move to SLC next year could wreck me emotionally. I hate this idea that I have to be a damn near public official in the eyes of the church in my private life. People are really judgemental as is and I'm not sure (read: definitely don't handle judgement well from sheltered people) I'll respond to living in a church sponsored city well. SLC has a darkside that is really something, allegedly and I'm a young church member as is....

On one hand I'm ready to move on but on the other hand I'd miss the church especially living in Utah. However, this idea that I'm an old running back in the NFL that needs to settle down is insane. What happens if I rush into marriage and fail? I'm a scumbag in the eyes of the church at that point so why even stay or get married in the first place? SLC is going to be weird for me after the clusterfuck that was that youth conference anyway.

Furyous

Depending on where you are in SLC, it can be a pretty liberal place.

Educate me pls? I need to stay clear, clear, away from the judgemental fuckery that is a part of the some single's wards. Let me enjoy my 2 percent mocha latte in peace without having a conversation with an EQ President or bishop.

I'm looking for a place with a maximum of $500 a month in rent unless I pass the notary public exam quickly.

Thaedolus

You can pretty much find any crowd around Salt Lake. I never attended a ward there, though, but I imagine they're relatively par for the course. Salt Lake just elected a gay female mayor, and has a lot of small and independent restaurants, brew pubs, etc. The city proper isn't too bad. Suburbs east of the 15 quickly become MoMo towns, though. Ward dynamics are always a form of roulette.

On a side note, I've had a coffee pot going every morning while visiting my parents and nobody seems to care. Tender mercies that I'm ponderizing today

Doodis

You can pretty much find any crowd around Salt Lake. I never attended a ward there, though, but I imagine they're relatively par for the course. Salt Lake just elected a gay female mayor, and has a lot of small and independent restaurants, brew pubs, etc. The city proper isn't too bad. Suburbs east of the 15 quickly become MoMo towns, though. Ward dynamics are always a form of roulette.

Yes, keep close to the city. Anywhere around the city and sugarhouse area are quite liberal. As far as the wards go, you might not escape Utah mormon douchebaggery hardly anywhere. But best of luck!

On a side note, I've had a coffee pot going every morning while visiting my parents and nobody seems to care. Tender mercies that I'm ponderizing today

My active wife gave me a Starbucks gift certificate in my stocking. Praise the Lawd!

DeviantBoi

So Russell has confirmed that the new bigoted policies were directly words from God through his prophet Monson.

Just as things had begun to quiet down, he goes and stokes the flames! What a dumbass.

Depending on where you are in SLC, it can be a pretty liberal place.
I lived in SLC off and on for a few years (I went to UCMT). Interesting energy and I've never seen as much good will between out-groups (gays, hippies, straight-edgers, new-agers, atheists, minorities, etc.) in any other city because everyone seems willing to give the other person a chance because, "Hey, at least you're not Mormon!" Also, gawd-damn hot girls and by my age at least some of them are Jack-Mormons (apologies if that term is offensive, not intending to be) and divorced.

I had the best work experience of my RN career working there as a travel RN a few years later. Working conditions were amazing because the LDS are so family and community-service oriented. Older LDS RNs were very nice to me. Some of that may have been unconscious patriarchal deference, though. I am expressively Buddhist nontheist - everyone knew it and no one gave me shit about it. Navigation is a breeze due to the grid system, light rail is plentiful, night life is thriving in the city due to all the out-groups. They got rid of the ridiculous system of private clubs and have a thriving microbrewery scene.

There's snowboarding in the winter and hiking or downhill mountain biking in the summer.

I was working there in late 2008 when Obama won, though, and I was one of maybe three people celebrating.

ronito

So Russell has confirmed that the new bigoted policies were directly words from God through his prophet Monson.

Just as things had begun to quiet down, he goes and stokes the flames! What a dumbass.
I'd love to ask which policy. The original policy or the "revised" policy and how that went down.

"Thus saith the Lord..."

Then a few days later, "Wait...hold on...When I said 'thus saith the Lord' I actually meant I said..."

But yeah, that whole thing was a new kind of stupid. Guy should've kept quiet, let it blow over, let people forget they're part of a bigoted religion. Don't throw it in their face again.

Furyous

Which policy is revelation? I had a 45 minute conversation with a bishop over this issue when it happened and it was made clear to me that this is a policy not a revelation. The original document does not mention revelation. I can't ask this elsewhere so I'll ask it here:

Is this a way to encourage people to stay because revelation cannot be questioned? This was initially a policy issue not revelation so why bring it up now.

DeviantBoi

Which policy is revelation? I had a 45 minute conversation with a bishop over this issue when it happened and it was made clear to me that this is a policy not a revelation. The original document does not mention revelation. I can't ask this elsewhere so I'll ask it here:

Is this a way to encourage people to stay because revelation cannot be questioned? This was initially a policy issue not revelation so why bring it up now.

He said it in a recent speech:

http://www.sltrib.com/lifestyle/faith/3391057-155/lds-gay-policy-came-from-god

"Each of us during that sacred moment felt a spiritual confirmation," Nelson, next in line for the Mormon presidency, told the faith's young adults in the first official explanation of the hotly debated policy's origins. "It was our privilege as apostles to sustain what had been revealed to President Monson."

Nelson explained that revelation from the Lord to his servants is a sacred process.

"The [three-member] First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve Apostles counsel together and share all the Lord has directed us to understand and to feel, individually and collectively," he said. "And then, we watch the Lord move upon the president of the church to proclaim the Lord's will."

He said that protocol was followed when Monson, in 2012, announced lower minimum ages for full-time Mormon missionary service and again late last year with the new policy on same-sex couples and their children.

ronito

Here is the exact quote:
"Filled with compassion for all, and especially for the children, we wrestled at length to understand the Lord’s will in this matter. . . . Ever mindful of God’s plan of salvation and of His hope for eternal life for each of His children, we considered countless permutations and combinations of possible scenarios that could arise. We met repeatedly in the temple in fasting and prayer and sought further direction and inspiration.

And then, when the Lord inspired His prophet, President Thomas S. Monson, to declare the mind of the Lord and the will of the Lord, each of us during that sacred moment felt a spiritual confirmation. It was our privilege as Apostles to sustain what had been revealed to President Monson. Revelation from the Lord to His servants is a sacred process. And so is your privilege of receiving personal revelation."

So it seems they're just doubling down and having a "sit your ass down!" moment. Lots of people weren't OK with the policy but stayed anyone thinking that it's just a messed up policy. This is to shut those people up.

Lately there's been a lot of people on facebook posting an insipid quote, "What's the point of having a prophet if you'll only follow him when you agree with him?" from Adris Parhsall. I always reply, "What's the point in having free agency if you'll only do what they tell you." Never a reply interestingly enough.

Thaedolus

::vomit emoticon::

I don't have anything more to add really. It just makes me sick...though, the people I know getting in line and supporting this shit makes me even sicker.

Heart goes out to you guys trying to make it work

Dai Kaiju

Has anyone here converted to mormonism? I feel like God is calling me to be one even though I'm less than enthused about it.

Doodis

Furyous

Has anyone here converted to mormonism? I feel like God is calling me to be one even though I'm less than enthused about it.

*raises hand*

Go to church and see if you like it. Take your time as I met a young woman that investigated the church for four years before deciding on a baptism date. Not encouraging you to do anything other than come to church and soak up the atmosphere.

Dai Kaiju

Thaedolus

After seeing that...maybe God just wants me to live like a mormon. Minus the polygamy and statutory rape.

If there is a God, he wants you to be a good person. Despite the slick outward appearance, the Mormon structure doesn't exactly promote that. I know a lot of great people that are Mormons, but the more I've experienced life outside of the church, the more I've realized they're great people in spite of being Mormon, not because of the faith.

They'll probably tell you exmembers can't be trusted, but believe me, I've got no skin in the game. Do what makes you happy. Just think long and hard about a god who requires SOPs to be followed to a T and requires secret handshakes to enter into heaven.

ronito

So they're going after the guy who wrote the CES letter.

http://cesletter.com/jeremy-runnells-faces-lds-excommunication.html

On one hand, it's not surprising. The CES letter has been damning to the church by putting all the facts in a easy to read format. On the other hand, it seems a dumb move. It would be easy for Jeremy to come back with "tell me what's not true" or play the victim. It just seems to me a stupid move. You're not going to stop him from doing what he's doing. You're not going to silence him, in fact, you gave him reasons to be louder than before. Also, do you want people to read the CES letter? Because this is how you make people read the CES Letter.

It's shocking to me that they think this is a good idea. Can they be that out of touch?

Furyous

So they're going after the guy who wrote the CES letter.

http://cesletter.com/jeremy-runnells-faces-lds-excommunication.html

On one hand, it's not surprising. The CES letter has been damning to the church by putting all the facts in a easy to read format. On the other hand, it seems a dumb move. It would be easy for Jeremy to come back with "tell me what's not true" or play the victim. It just seems to me a stupid move. You're not going to stop him from doing what he's doing. You're not going to silence him, in fact, you gave him reasons to be louder than before. Also, do you want people to read the CES letter? Because this is how you make people read the CES Letter.

It's shocking to me that they think this is a good idea. Can they be that out of touch?

He wanted to meet with a Stake President to ask questions and 16 months later they went from asking questions to excommunication. WOW.

Meanwhile the church has yet to address Brand Thornton's blatanly false apostasy in an interview that mentions Priesthood curses. The Bundy family is allowed to tarnish the name of the church but this guy asking questions is subject to an excomm hearing. Words cannot express the disdain I have for this set of actions moving forward.

ronito

Yeah, this just seems to me a childish tantrum "I'll ignore those guys in an armed stand off, but this guy wrote a book! Get him!!!" Obviously they'll pull the whole "local leadership" card and absolve themselves of responsibility.

The Church is gonna Church.

Edit: Also this is the first I've heard of the CES letter and wow, just wow. I mean I knew some of this stuff, either from the Internet or from reading Under the Banner of Heaven, but damn. There's no logical way to resolve all this and still come away believing in the church.

ronito

Plenty of people do it.

It typically starts with

- This isn't anything new
to
- Well it doesn't matter because I have warm feelings

Doodis

There's no logical way to resolve all this and still come away believing in the church.
Unfortunately, the church isn't high on promoting logic. It's all about the feels.

EDIT: Damn, forgot to refresh after I opened this thread. Beaten like a child of wife number 19.

ronito

So it looks like they've rescheduled the "court of love" until March. Didn't say why, but eh.

One thing that this has shown in the last 3 or 4 days is that exmormons are given to the same echo-chamber/masturbatory thinking as TBMs. Sure, I think the church stands more to lose in this than gain, but man a lot of people have gone off the deep end, like that guy who tried to sue the church.

I would be interested to see if there are any mormons here that have read the CES letter and still believe. And I mean really read not look at it smugly and say, "Oh I already heard about this." Personally I have only met very few mormons that really read the CES letter and still believed afterwards but very very few (like I an thinking like 2)

Doodis

So it looks like they've rescheduled the "court of love" until March. Didn't say why, but eh.

One thing that this has shown in the last 3 or 4 days is that exmormons are given to the same echo-chamber/masturbatory thinking as TBMs. Sure, I think the church stands more to lose in this than gain, but man a lot of people have gone off the deep end, like that guy who tried to sue the church.

I would be interested to see if there are any mormons here that have read the CES letter and still believe. And I mean really read not look at it smugly and say, "Oh I already heard about this." Personally I have only met very few mormons that really read the CES letter and still believed afterwards but very very few (like I an thinking like 2)

I took my wife through most of the major issues and points covered in the letter half a year ago...she's still as devout a believer as ever. Sigh.

Thaedolus

ExMormons are just as prone to the psychological shortcomings of being human as the rest, and it's not surprising to me to see them (us) sometimes fall victim to our own weaknesses. But, I will say, I think there's a pretty healthy skepticism that shouldn't be written off when you're talking about the community as a whole. The subreddit in particular has some pretty prominent bullshit-callers.

Honestly, I think the church is run by guys who mean well but are put in a system which promotes some sort of acquired narcissism and they just don't get it. I don't doubt when Oaks goes out there and says nobody grieves more than him about LGBT suicides, he believes it, because he's been conditioned to believe his thoughts are God's. It's dangerous and awful that these guys have the sway they do, but I don't necessarily blame them outright for it. They're victims of this system too

Thaedolus

You know, after Bednar's latest I just can't even anymore. It's like a parody of itself at this point. My grandmother is about to pass and my mother is sending me articles about angels protecting us through the veil.

I'm sorry to the believers who ever check this thread, but fuck the idea this church is a net positive. No way, no how.

ronito

I have really tried hard to neutral but I have to admit I'm starting to see far more negative and hurtful stuff from the church than good. And frankly, the good? The church doesn't have a monopoly on it. You can get encouragement and inspirational quotes anywhere. And the family forever thing? Honestly I can't think of a single mormon family that I know anymore that doesn't feel like at least part of their family is a hostage (either by "satan" or by the church) It has taken a tack to create division first and seeks comfort in itself instead of looking outward at the world it claims to embrace. I'd say "sorry believers" but I know they don't read this thread anyway.

Doodis

I finally took the leap and sent in my resignation. I just can't support it in any way personally anymore. It's bad enough I have to silently stand by while my wife takes the kids to church each week so they can learn about how their dad is an evil apostate.

Top Bottom