• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat Character Select Screen Leaked (Spoilers) [Update: Stage Renders]

Raging Spaniard said:
I dont know why anybody is shocked that a Mortal Kombat game has bad character design, thats like, their thing
Its not the character design that is bad, its the actual *art*. The in-game models look fine. The concept art looks fine. But the character art that they use in the menus/versus screen looks bad. They've painted over the models with some extra shading or something.

derFeef

Raging Spaniard said:
I dont know why anybody is shocked that a Mortal Kombat game has bad character design, thats like, their thing
The character design is awesome. The 2D portraits/renders are what is bad.

Khezu

laddersk.jpg

laddergoro.jpg

ladderkintaro.jpg

laddersheeva.jpg

More image leaks from that other dude, from the position, kinda implies certain things, but dude totally could have flipped them before posting to confuse.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
The Lamonster said:
Whatever. This shit is iconic and awesome.

Well duh of course its good, they copied it how many times now? ;)

One, two or five memorable designs wont do much to change my mind.

fernoca

Khezu said:
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k315/lobsterkhezu/hosts/laddersk.jpg
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k315/lobsterkhezu/hosts/laddergoro.jpg
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k315/lobsterkhezu/hosts/ladderkintaro.jpg

More image leaks from that other dude, from the position, kinda implies certain things, but dude totally could have flipped them before posting to confuse.
Seems that all data is with them facing to the right. Even the data from the right side (like Kratos, Jax, Stryker). Having them with borders, just confirms that they will be bosses...but that Kintaro is on the retail release and not DLC.

Guess we'll see.

Bleepey

Raging Spaniard said:

Fuck off, the Mk designs are arguably the best in any fighting game series including SF.

Kurtofan

Khezu said:
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k315/lobsterkhezu/hosts/laddersk.jpg[/IG]
[IMG]http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k315/lobsterkhezu/hosts/laddergoro.jpg[/IG]
[IMG]http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k315/lobsterkhezu/hosts/ladderkintaro.jpg
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k315/lobsterkhezu/hosts/laddersheeva.jpg[/IG]

More image leaks from that other dude, from the position, kinda implies certain things, but dude totally could have flipped them before posting to confuse.[/QUOtE]
Kintaro is a tiger?!
I thought he had a badass white goatee?!!
I've been living a lie all this time.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Bleepey said:
Fuck off, the Mk designs are arguably the best in any fighting game series including SF.

Sweet, internet tough guy time.

John Tobias is a decent artist, and I thought the design for Kung Lao was pretty inspired ... but I strongly disagree with your overall points, the other designs I like are big ripoffs from other media (Raiden being straight out of Big Trouble in Little China, or this new Cyber Sub-Zero being a palette swap of Predator, to name a few).

But hey, whatever, throw more fucks words around, maybe I'll get scared of posting or something.

Kurtofan

Raging Spaniard said:

John Tobias is a decent artist, and I thought the design for Kung Lao was pretty inspired ... but I strongly disagree with your overall points, the other designs I like are big ripoffs from other media (Raiden being straight out of Big Trouble in Little China, or this new Cyber Sub-Zero being a palette swap of Predator, to name a few).

But hey, whatever, throw more fucks words around, maybe I'll get scared of posting or something.
A palette swap of predator lol
There's a difference between rip off and inspiration.
I don't think the predator uses ice magic.

Cruzader

Banned
abracadaver said:
they all look terrible in my opinion
wtf did they do to the renders? wow. Man

I mean these not sure if fan made or from the devs but look so much better:

example :
http://images.wikia.com/mk/images/a/a4/Kitanarender2011.jpg
http://images.wikia.com/mk/images/2/24/Kitana_MK-2011.jpg

Why do some butt ugly VS art renders? WTF!

Also is all this leaking from the PS3 demo or from leaked full game? Only decent guy looks Quan Chi but thats because he is one ugly motherfucker so it doesnt affect him as much as the others.

derFeef

Raging Spaniard said:

And Ryu is a clear ripoff of Karate Kid, just more buffed. Your point being?

Big Chungus

Why does Kintaro have 4 arms?

I thought the reason why Goro has 4 arms is because he's half human/half dragon...but Kintaro doesn't make sense.

No one noticed that "cyber sub zero" is actually the default DLC select window?

I guess This would be Sub-Zeros alt costume but it wasnt activated during this screenshot.

Sub Zero cyborg...bbqlol.

fernoca

fna84 said:

I thought the reason why Goro has 4 arms is because he's half human/half dragon...but Kintaro doesn't make sense.
Same race, the Shokan. Different lineage.
Goro/Sheeva marks are considered "royalty", the rest..no so much.

Sato Koiji said:
No one noticed that "cyber sub zero" is actually the default DLC select window?

I guess This would be Sub-Zeros alt costume but it wasnt activated during this screenshot.

Sub Zero cyborg...bbqlol.
The slot changes depending on how many times you press to the right/left (hence the arrows)
He's part of the cannon, too. :p

derFeef said:

This could go on and on all day.

Fei Long?
Mike Haggar?
Alex?
Hugo?

Capcom and other companies get inspired, or rip off from other media, just as much as MK does.

The thing about MK, is that their artists are inconsistant. Some characters designs are godly, and some are garbage.

Awesome:

Raiden
Scorpion
Sub-Zero
Shao Kahn
Goro

Lame:

Sindel
Nightwolf
Tanya
Kai
Shinnok

TreIII

The Lamonster said:
He's probably just a non-playable boss.

Yet, he does....
have his own ending. Going by the leaked data, the only "boss" character who doesn't have an ending is Shao Kahn. So, either he's going to be a legit playable some how, or there's something more that we have yet to see.

Any way, Kintaro looks great. One of the few things to his re-design from Shaolin Monk's credit is that they did more to restore his actual feline style features. This one's even better, in my opinion.

fna84 said:

That "half human/half dragon" thing is a bunch of old stuff. The real thing is that he, along with Sheeva and Goro, are all part of the Outworld race of Shokans. They all have 4 arms. But the reason why Kintaro looks different is because
this game says that he comes from another type of subspecies altogether, that have more feline features than Goro and Sheeva's.

Clipper

fna84 said:

Do you also have a problem with Sheeva having four arms? They're a race, mate. All the shokan have that trait.

Beaten...

fna84 said:

I remember seeing a character bio for Kintaro that explained it by saying Kintaro is just from variant clan within the Shokan, and is disntantly related to Goro.

I guess a Shokan fucked a tiger, or a tiger-guy at some point?

Seems plausible.

Edit: beaten twice!

Raging Spaniard

derFeef said:

My point was that as a whole MK has bad character designs, I thought that was pretty clear.

Hell, you watch the Rain Player Card video and Ed Boon is saying the idea for the character came from is basically "we hadn't made a purple ninja yet". Apart from the ninja/cyber swaps I think the rest of the roster is pretty bad looking and reminds me of everything I dislike about American comics from the 90's.

I give those guys a lot of credit for making a successful series, but I consider that aspect of their games to be the worst thing next to the animations.

If you disagree, well ... sorry, but hey, thats what I think.

Khezu

I wouldn't say nightwolf is lame, just bland, so bland in fact a lot people sometimes forget he exists.

I do like him more then T-hawk though.

Its silly arguing whether the characters are rip offs or not. Whats the point? It works!!

Even freakin' Liu Kang in MK1 looks badass.

Raging Spaniard said:
My point was that as a whole MK has bad character designs, I thought that was pretty clear.

Hell, you watch the Rain Player Card video and Ed Boon is saying the idea for the character came from is basically "we hadn't made a purple ninja yet". Apart from the ninja/cyber swaps I think the rest of the roster is pretty bad looking and reminds me of everything I dislike about American comics from the 90's.

I give those guys a lot of credit for making a successful series, but I consider that aspect of their games to be the worst thing next to the animations.

If you disagree, well ... sorry, but hey, thats what I think.

You have to remember, when designing characters that need to be digitized, there were of course certain limits and boundaries they were constrained by, that say....character artists on Street Fighter didn't need to abide by.

Just a thought.

Raging Spaniard

Criminal Upper said:
You have to remember, when designing characters that need to be digitized, there were of course certain limits and boundaries they were constrained by, that say....character artists on Street Fighter didn't need to abide by.

Just a thought.

I know, I saw the videos. I think the best designs were all from the MK II era, limitations actually tend to encourage creativity.

There are some bad characters designs in the MK universe, but I like most of them, especially the ninjas. I wish some of the core designs were drawn different, as I wish everybody was more slimmer. Everybody just seems so stiff. My opinion of course. And this sounds weird. I wish the females weren't so slutty looking. I wish it was more classy sexy, idk, lol.

I think Capcom's characters are better than MK's (but not by much), but I think they are animated way, way better.

MK2 Lao, Kang, and baraka are still sweet though. I think they got kinda of bad in MK3.

TreIII

Criminal Upper said:

Just a thought.

There's no accounting for personal tastes. That's all there is to it.

For me at least, part of the reason I love this series was directly BECAUSE it was a direct shout-out to classic Kung Fu cinema and various other things. Sub-Zero and Scorpion were a direct reference to the tacky-dressed ninja that dominated HK cinema in the 80s and 90s (see: things like Ninja Terminator). Cage was a clear, non-licensed expy of JCVD. Kano and the metal side of his face, with complimenting glowing red-eye, were meant to be a homage to Terminator. Etc., etc.

It could have been so bad, but it ended up being so fun, and directly catered to the series' tongue-in-cheek black humor. After the shock-value of blood n guts wore off, that was what helped the series stay fun to me, and why I always hoped the series would get "back on its feet" after a while. Thankfully, it looks like that time may have finally come.

Khezu said:
Why does it seem they were pasted in them? It looks like they weren't cleanly put into the frames. Weird pixels.

xbulletholes said:
any idea/guesses as to why kintaro's border is different?
If you watch a vid of the ladder in the demo you'll see what it is. When you're fighting an opponent, both your character and the opponent have the border that everyone else normally has. When theres a character above you in the ladder that you haven't faced yet it looks like the Kintaro pic. It looks like it says 6 as in he'll be the 6th enemy you'll fight. But its weird because the 6 should be mirrored...

Raging Spaniard

Cloudius12 said:
Why does it seem they were pasted in them? It looks like they weren't cleanly put into the frames. Weird pixels.

If its leaked then its safe to assume its part of a work in progress shot, or from an early build, etc, I wouldn't worry about the little details or lack of polish.

Beardz

Raging Spaniard said:

Dude, we know it, you are the BEST designer in the universe, you're always right about design and shit.

Top Bottom