• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MSNBC anchor suspended for "pimping out" Chelsea Clinton

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080208/ap_on_el_pr/msnbc_clinton

MSNBC's Chelsea comment angers Clinton
By BETH FOUHY, Associated Press Writer
55 minutes ago

SEATTLE - A distasteful comment about Chelsea Clinton by an MSNBC anchor could imperil Hillary Rodham Clinton's participation in future presidential debates on the network, a Clinton spokesman said.

In a conference call with reporters, Clinton communications director Howard Wolfson on Friday excoriated MSNBC's David Shuster for suggesting the Clinton campaign had "pimped out" 27-year old Chelsea by having her place phone calls to celebrities and Democratic Party "superdelegates" on her mother's behalf.

Wolfson called Shuster's comment "beneath contempt" and disgusting.

"I, at this point, can't envision a scenario where we would continue to engage in debates on that network," he added.

MSNBC said Shuster, who apologized on the air for his comment, has been temporarily suspended from appearing on all NBC news broadcasts except to offer his apology.

"NBC News takes these matters seriously, and offers our sincere regrets to the Clintons for the remarks," MSNBC spokesman Jeremy Gaines said, adding the network was hopeful the debate would take place as planned.

Clinton and Obama are scheduled to participate in an MSNBC debate Feb. 26 from Ohio, which holds its primary March 4. The Clinton campaign has pushed hard for as many debates as possible with Obama, but Wolfson said the Feb. 26 debate could be jeopardized.

Wolfson pointed to what he called a pattern of tasteless comments by MSNBC anchors about the Clinton campaign. Weeks ago, "Hardball" host Chris Matthews apologized to the former first lady after suggesting her political career had been made possible by her husband's philandering.

Shuster told The Associated Press he has tried to reach Clinton to apologize.

Bill Burton, a spokesman for Obama, called Shuster's comments "deplorable" and said they had no place in the political process.

Superdelegates are elected officials and other members of the Democratic National Committee who serve as upledged delegates to the party's convention. They're expected to play an important role in selecting the party's nominee if the delegate contest between Clinton and Barack Obama remains close.

Here's the comment and apology:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=OIxgw04Y0Fc

Tamanon

Banned
It's just a turn of phrase that would not have even merited outrage if they weren't looking for a reason.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Chris Matthews is a moron, too. I can't stand watching Hardball, he's so smarmy, conceited, and egotistical it drives my crazy. I do enjoy MSNBC's other pundits though, but I still wish they would've left post-CNN Tucker shitcanned- that man simply doesn't deserve a political job.

SexConker

Banned
They think that they can use her to get the young vote.
Problem is they have her speak at colleges and shit.

College = 18-22
Chelsea = 27, almost 28 (late this month).

To college kids, 27 = old.

I never knew Chelsea dated herself.

flltax.jpg

MSNBC is a bunch of pussies when it comes to the Clintons. Didn't Mathews have to get on his knees and kiss Hillary's feet about something he said a couple weeks ago?

vas_a_morir said:
That dude looks like a total douche!

It's basically the same person, except one of them might have a vagina.

RiZ III

This is stupid.. this guy is being completed misquoted.

Even though she looks like fricken Carrot-Top, just being the presidents daughter makes her hot for some reason.. >_>

RiZ III said:
This is stupid.. this guy is being completed misquoted.

Even though she looks like fricken Carrot-Top, just being the presidents daughter makes her hot for some reason.. >_>

I think you're more in love with Bill.

datruth29

It doesn't seem like the guy is being misquoted. It is an over reaction from Hilary though. With that being said, whats wrong with having your family help you win an election??

avaya

The anchor was unprofessional with his remarks. You can't say that sort of thing and get away with it. However suspending him? That's really OTT.

This guy definitely deserves a reprimanding for that statement. What an unprofessional thing to say about someone's daughter ( I am no Hillary Clinton suppoerter, either).

The Chris Mathews statement, however, is much more interesting. There is some fact behind his statement....and it at least has some merit as to the legitimacy of Hillery Clinton and her post First Lady political career.

I saw it live and Shuster's comments didn't even register with me at the time. "Pimping", "Pimp My Ride", "Pimped Out", and etc are fairly benign nowadays I think to anyone under 30. Still, it probably wasn't the smartest thing to say, but I think an apology should have been the end of it.

Chris Matthews on the other hand has done and said a variety of things that made me drop my jaw during the live broadcasts. Particularly when he told that CNBC chick to move closer to the camera. Creepty. Joe Scarborough is also equally patronizing to his female co-hosts and the weather girls.

It just seems David Shuster had the unfortunate luck of stepping on the wrong toes. The Clintons in general I think are frustrated with the negative coverage MSNBC typically gives Hilary and the glowing coverage they give Obama. This is payback for them. Nothing more. The irony is that The View hosts were trashing Chelsea also, but they're a major pipeline to the female demographic across the country so you won't hear a peep from the Clintons about it.

What did the hosts of The View say about Chelsea, if you don't mind me asking?

I just find it hard to understand why the media would have something negative to say about Chelsea. It's not like she set a cat on fire...or whatever the hell Huckabees' kid did.

Rorschach

Hadji said:
eh.jpg

Errr... yeah...
If you have nothing funny, you have to start out with a quick, somewhat tired meme and then the floodgates open for copy/pasting unto every meme you can think of.

Example:
ra0zh0.jpg

Switch out Chelsea with one of Obama's daughters and you've got an Imus-sized fiasco. But, because she's a Clinton, this is just breezed over.

The media narrative of this election is sickening all the way around. From this, to the race baiting debates, to the Fox News/Ron Paul ridiculousness...

sort of on topic, but did anyone see the clip from Sportscenter where one of the anchors made a remark about an NBA player coming into the game with just his "wifebeater" on after he forgot his jersey, and they made him apologize and clear up that he does not condone spousal abuse.

Piper Az

She's 27, an adult. Can't she defend herself? Why does she always hide behind her daddy and mommy? It was an inappropriate commnet, but I don't think it required an apology or a suspension.

MC Safety

It was great when all the members of The View went down the list and recalled how Chelsea Clinton called them, shilling for mom.

The republican girl got no call.

Fairly minor to me and far less than what Chris Matthews pretty much says on a daily basis. That being said, the point he was trying to make was fairly dumb.

APF

What's wrong with Chelsea calling people? Politicians "pimp-out" their friends, family, and celebrity supporters all the time on calls to get people to vote.

MSNBC has been disgraceful this entire election season. From their swooning over Obama to their naked contempt of the Clinton's is it any wonder the Clinton's finally decided enough is enough?

tawal

Ninja Scooter said:
sort of on topic, but did anyone see the clip from Sportscenter where one of the anchors made a remark about an NBA player coming into the game with just his "wifebeater" on after he forgot his jersey, and they made him apologize and clear up that he does not condone spousal abuse.
Was it Ron Artest? 'cause if it was Ron Artest, I would have laughed a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom