• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Brother's Last Wish: To Leave a $500 Tip...For Pizza

Status
Not open for further replies.
- Do you only choose female servers, or is it just random? Male servers are just as deserving of a mega-tip, and it would be nice to see their reaction.

I'll answer this for Seth since he answered it recently: it's random. I've never heard of a restaurant where you can "pick" a waiter/waitress to serve you.

In any case, I heard back from Google. Appeal denied, all ad revenue revoked (even the ad revenue from previous videos from many months ago that was waiting to be paid out), no further appeal allowed, any further communication will be ignored, permanently disallowed from creating or using an AdSense account. They can give no specific reason.

Oh well. :) I'll just continue shooting with the camera body I have. I can afford a lens out of pocket to make things look better in dark restaurants, so I'll pick that up.

ouch... i'd fire off an email to the consumerist explaining the situation.

DocX

Even if Seth continued to receive the money from Google Ads, it would by no means make him rich. It's not like the site or the YouTube videos are pulling in as many unique visitors as CNN or Yahoo. Any ad revenue would pale in comparison to the total amount that's been donated to the cause. And THAT is what's supposed to go to the waiters and waitresses. He's not even using any funds coming directly from the donated money, such as interest, to pay for things like hosting the site. That's all being paid for by supplementary funds--which just happens to be his own pocket since the Google Ads are no more.

I don't think ABC's Extreme Makeover: Home Edition puts all the money made from commercials directly back into building someone else a house, paying for all the production costs out of pocket. I wouldn't doubt that ABC makes a fairly handsome profit off having the show on the air. And, in this case and relatively speaking, any ad revenue that *would* have been gained is nowhere near that.

And, above all, the family expected nothing of this magnitude to happen. There are many out there who would have taken a turn for the selfish when the money started coming in as it has in this case, justifying all kinds of purchases with the money. "Well, I *do* have to drive to the restaurants. I think it'd be okay to buy a car with it." "I *do* have to wear clothes when I'm eating. It'd be okay to buy a new wardrobe."

I mean, come on, most charities out there take out 5 - 10%--AT BEST--of EVERY donation for administrative costs. Seth and his family aren't doing that. Those "administrative costs" have always been out of pocket, yet some people are complaining that AD REVENUE shouldn't be used for anything but tips? If the family wanted to use it that way, fine. But I don't believe honoring Aaron's wish includes giving money from an indirect source that has no heart and soul. The point of this is for people to give money from the heart to brighten a heart.

CrankyJay

Banned
I'll answer this for Seth since he answered it recently: it's random. I've never heard of a restaurant where you can "pick" a waiter/waitress to serve you.

At nicer restaurants you can request a certain waiter. A good waiter will remember regulars likes and dislikes and be able to recommend dishes. They are few and far between but when you get one you like and don't get them the next time you go back it dampens the experience.

Amazing stuff, as a person who works for tips I can't help but relate to all the happiness you and your family are spreading. Great job on keeping your brother's spirit alive, you guys are truly amazing.

Volimar

These videos remind me of last Christmas time. Someone went around to the local Kmart and other stores that offered layaway and paid off the layaway accounts that were past due and in danger of being canceled. Over $10,000 in all. I can't imagine how many Christmases that person saved. I'd like to think they called the people in under a pretense so that they didn't know till they got there that their layaway had been paid off. I'd have loved to see video of that.

Prez

Haven't been following this thead very closely, but how many waiters/waitresses have been given a $500 tip so far?

And why not just pay dinner with the donated money? I don't think anyone would mind. It's unfair to be forced to spend a lot of money on eating out anyway. If anything, you and your family deserve it. You lost a close family member ffs.

Haven't been following this thead very closely, but how many waiters/waitresses have been given a $500 tip so far?

And why not just pay dinner with the donated money? I don't think anyone would mind. It's unfair to be forced to spend a lot of money on eating out anyway. If anything, you and your family deserve it. You lost a close family member ffs.
more than 6

and some people have principles!

Seth C

I appreciate the sentiment and I am sure most people wouldn't mind, however when I put the statement up (not expecting we would get more than enough to do this 2 or 3 times...) I said that all donations would go to the waiters or waitresses. So, that's what will happen. If money truly becomes a problem I will just go for coffee or something. It will be slower, but it's fine

I am considering starting a separate Indiegogo campaign which will be open for use for business expenses like travel, food, web hosting, and a new camera. I still wouldn't take a salary and all excess proceeds would just go back toward tips. But the higher level perks would allow people to get to come with us to give the donations, which I think would be amazing.

hwalker84

Whats awesome about these videos are the money always seems to go to someone who really needed it. The last guy just had a kid he damn sure needs all the money he can get.

RangersFan

The newest video, and the first with a waiter rather than a waitress.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLxvwdM2_84

love this one seth. can see the guy was genuinely touched, especially being a new father you could tell he was so grateful offering to pay for your meals. hope you continue to get some more waiters mixed in with the waitresses.

also if you ever do the entire wait staff thing, please choose a kick ass restaurant, where the service has always been great. or maybe go back to the first restaurant you did it at, or go to your regular spot where you a familiar with some of the staff.

Saw the latest video and the guy from Garland, TX.

In the latest one...love how the waiter was about to brush you off as he was pointing to another table and about to say something like "I gotta go fill these people's water, can't talk" when you flashed the money...he then wasn't in a rush. haha.

I wonder when the Feds are gonna knock on your door and tell you to stop writing on bills.

The copycat in Texas copied your style pretty well, minus the hat.

sharath_kumar

Neo Member
this story is very inspirational. the joy you get personally from making others happy is definitely up there with the best.

do you go to expensive restaurants? waiters there would probably have less need of your money than waiters from other restaurants.

Seth C

this story is very inspirational. the joy you get personally from making others happy is definitely up there with the best.

do you go to expensive restaurants? waiters there would probably have less need of your money than waiters from other restaurants.

We don't. So far the most expensive meal has been about $70, and that was for 11 people.

Pandemic

Oh wow, I've been watching your videos since you released your first one, and is really inspirational and great to see.

Little did I know you were a GAFfer... Wishing you and your family the best of luck with the future dude, and may your brother RIP.

Keep the videos coming, they cease to put a smile on my face mate.

Pandemic

Just read through the whole thread, and was a great and interesting read. Sad at first, but inspirational near the end.

Sorry to be bringing up this question, but are their still questions as to how your brother died?

Seth C

Just so you all know, I will be on The Today Show tomorrow morning, with my mom and sister. We are scheduled to go on around 8:20am (or 20 minutes in to the second hour of the show, if it airs delayed wherever you are) if you want to watch.

Just so you all know, I will be on The Today Show tomorrow morning, with my mom and sister. We are scheduled to go on around 8:20am (or 20 minutes in to the second hour of the show, if it airs delayed wherever you are) if you want to watch.

Eastern time...so that's 7:20 central? I should be up then as I'm about to crash as I've been up since 3pm yesterday.

Seth C

Eastern time...so that's 7:20 central? I should be up then as I'm about to crash as I've been up since 3pm yesterday.

I would assume that's how it works for central time. Pacific it probably airs delayed so it would be 8:20. Either way, if you find out when The Today Show starts in your area, we will be in the second hour.

I would assume that's how it works for central time. Pacific it probably airs delayed so it would be 8:20. Either way, if you find out when The Today Show starts in your area, we will be in the second hour.

Well it starts at 7am here so I guess you're on at 8:20 then.

Seth, I know you were up here a while back but if you make it up to Chicago again hit up Chicago-GAF; we'll do a meet up and if you want, we can do a dinner up here too.

Seth C

Seth, I know you were up here a while back but if you make it up to Chicago again hit up Chicago-GAF; we'll do a meet up and if you want, we can do a dinner up here too.

I used to make it up to Chicago fairly frequently but the friend I stayed with has moved to Louisville. Not sure how often I'll be able to visit Chicago now, sadly.

Doncortez

I just caught the story on the Today show and I said to myself "this story sounds a lot like the thread I saw on Neogaf"...the story is very Inspirational and it made my morning..

Keep up the Good Work!!

CrankyJay

Banned
LOL, I watch the Today Show every morning...this is going to be surreal. Any idea who is interviewing you?

Going to NYC or will it be via satellite?

Mœbius

I just noticed this thread, wow.

Seth: my condolences to you and your family, and my sincere gratitude and thanks to your brother, yourself and the rest of your family for demonstrating such excellence.

Seth C

I just noticed this thread, wow.

Seth: my condolences to you and your family, and my sincere gratitude and thanks to your brother, yourself and the rest of your family for demonstrating such excellence.

Thank you so much. I'm just thankful Aaron left this for us. It's helped so much and touched so many people.

The Today bit just wrapped up here on the west coast. I can't even begin to imagine how surreal this is for you guys. It's incredible how big it's become.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom