• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Brother's Last Wish: To Leave a $500 Tip...For Pizza

Status
Not open for further replies.

GatorBait

I just caught the story on the Today show and I said to myself "this story sounds a lot like the thread I saw on Neogaf"...the story is very Inspirational and it made my morning..

Keep up the Good Work!!
Funny! Same exact thing just happened to me. Saw the segment and immediately remembered this thread title. Really neat and inspirational idea. My condolences for the OP's loss, as well.

LordCanti

Funny! Same exact thing just happened to me. Saw the segment and immediately remembered this thread title. Really neat and inspirational idea. My condolences for the OP's loss, as well.

I stopped on the Today show to
unapologetically
ogle Savannah Guthrie for a second, and I got a huge feeling of Deja Vu as I listened to his story. Then it hit me that it was from GAF, and my mind melted a little bit.

It's really cool that you and your family are out there doing this OP. It seems like you guys are making the best of a terrible situation.

Seth C

I stopped on the Today show to
unapologetically
ogle Savannah Guthrie for a second, and I got a huge feeling of Deja Vu as I listened to his story. Then it hit me that it was from GAF, and my mind melted a little bit.

It's really cool that you and your family are out there doing this OP. It seems like you guys are making the best of a terrible situation.

I sat and chatted with her for a long time. Great lady. Her parents are both from Kentucky.

Seth C

Well, it just happened for the first time. Sitting at the airport waiting for our flight home and a woman came over and said she recognized us from the Today Show this morning. She was incredibly sweet, but a surreal experience.

Jhoan

Well, it just happened for the first time. Sitting at the airport waiting for our flight home and a woman came over and said she recognized us from the Today Show this morning. She was incredibly sweet, but a surreal experience.

It's that hat man! I swear! Congratulations on being recognized. Sooner or later, we're going to be seeing your picture on the first page of The Times if you continue to build up momentum. If it gets The Times' attention, then you my friend will be GAF's first celebrity.

Cross-posting this from the NYC GAF August Meetup thread. In case anybody missed it, here's the Today Show interview.
He didn't mention GAF at all.
Although, I wonder what if you told your mother that Houston and I are from a popular gaming forum that you post in. It's funny to think about.

Seth C

It's that hat man! I swear! Congratulations on being recognized. Sooner or later, we're going to be seeing your picture on the first page of The Times if you continue to build up momentum. If it gets The Times' attention, then you my friend will be GAF's first celebrity.

Cross-posting this from the NYC GAF August Meetup thread. In case anybody missed it, here's the Today Show interview.
He didn't mention GAF at all.
Although, I wonder what if you told your mother that Houston and I are from a popular gaming forum that you post in. It's funny to think about.

Trust me, my family knows all about the NeoGAF. You guys were even talked about that last day in the hospital. You are "kind of a big deal".

Jhoan

Trust me, my family knows all about the NeoGAF. You guys were even talked about that last day in the hospital. You are "kind of a big deal".
That's right, I forgot about that. I feel honored to represent to EviLore's forum as well as to represent one of the many people who was heart broken and touched by your brother's will. Why if I had I had light skin, I would be blushing right about now. I can't help but smile. :D

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Link for anyone that missed it.

http://video.today.msnbc.msn.com/today/48736377

Might have already answered, but how does Today do this? Did they pay for your trip? Hotel and stuff too?

5SDuD.png

Is there a neoGAF tab open up there?

Seth C

Link for anyone that missed it.

http://video.today.msnbc.msn.com/today/48736377

Might have already answered, but how does Today do this? Did they pay for your trip? Hotel and stuff too?

5SDuD.png

Is there a neoGAF tab open up there?

The show arranges and pays for airfare, hotels, and transportation to and from the airport. They even included a generous amount of incidentals so we wouldn't have to worry about meals.

We ignored that and went out so we could give two tips while we were there.

jb1234

Only 3. One was recorded last week (when NBC News was in town) and the other 2 Sunday and Tuesday, while we were in Manhatan again.

Nice! I really liked this week's video. It was such a great touch having the first waitress there to calm down the seventh. ;)

Seth C

Nice! I really liked this week's video. It was such a great touch having the first waitress there to calm down the seventh. ;)

I'd wanted to take her along for one for a while, so when CBS had all of us in NYC for their morning show anyway, it seemed like the perfect time.

Pandemic

Great video dude, the lighting is a little dissapointing, but the subtitles helped a lot. Great work, and my condolences to you and your family. Definitely a great way to remember your brother, things will only get better from here!

Jhoan

So this time you went out of your way tell her that she might have heard of it to which she didn't but it looks she was familiar with it. Having Sarah there added more impact to it. It seems that everyone that you've given the money to are always stunned in disbelief, then feel bad, then do the hug routine. Nonetheless, another NYC waitress got a well deserved $500 tip.

I wonder what would happen if you stream it live from a laptop or with a news crew. It would be cool to see it live but the table would probably be cluttered because of the laptop. Not to mention that a laptop's camera quality isn't as good as a DSLR camera's.

Seth C

Great video dude, the lighting is a little dissapointing, but the subtitles helped a lot. Great work, and my condolences to you and your family. Definitely a great way to remember your brother, things will only get better from here!

Yeah, sadly I have no control over the lighting. Also, while we were eating they dimmed the lights and put out candles, so it was worse than I initially expected. Adjusting the gamma introduced a lot of color noise but without it you wouldn't really have been able to see her at all. So it is what it is, but in the end their reaction is what matters, and she was wonderful and sweet.

So this time you went out of your way tell her that she might have heard of it to which she didn't but it looks she was familiar with it. Having Sarah there added more impact to it. It seems that everyone that you've given the money to are always stunned in disbelief, then feel bad, then do the hug routine. Nonetheless, another NYC waitress got a well deserved $500 tip.

I wonder what would happen if you stream it live from a laptop or with a news crew. It would be cool to see it live but the table would probably be cluttered because of the laptop. Not to mention that a laptop's camera quality isn't as good as a DSLR camera's.

I gave it a try because at this point it was big enough that CBS was having us on the next morning. I thought their might be a chance. Live, you say? That could be crazy. Maybe for the 50th or the 100th or some special occasion. :)

Jhoan

I gave it a try because at this point it was big enough that CBS was having us on the next morning. I thought their might be a chance. Live, you say? That could be crazy. Maybe for the 50th or the 100th or some special occasion. :)

There's plenty of skeptics out there who scream "scam" or "This was totally staged." So doing it live would be a way to rub it in the skeptics/haters' faces and turn them into believers. Besides, it would probably bring in a ton of viewers and possibly more money to give away so you never know. But it's good to see that you're thinking about it.

Zomba13

Trust me, I've heard it all from starving children in Africa, to the homeless, to orphans. While I realize there are "more worthy" causes on the surface, I think the impact this is having is broader than can be expected. It isn't just the people who get the money (and they work hard and earn very little) but the millions of people who are being uplifted from watching it. $50,000 wouldn't make a dent in the homeless problem this nation faces, but it has proven capable of uplifting the lives of millions somehow.

Just the other day we got word from a taxi driver in San Diego. He received a $500 tip on a $70 cab ride and when he attempted to refuse it, they told him about Aaron and why they were giving him so much. For whatever reason, at this moment, this story is changing the way countless people are behaving in their day-to-day lives. It's inspired a spirit of generosity in so many. I can't say that will be a lifelong change for them, but right now people around their world are doing good things and being generous to strangers because this inspired them to do so.

Just catching up on this thread. It kinda dropped off my radar for a bit and I didn't subscribe so was happy to see it again. This post though. Really good stuff :)

Smellycat

I am a little confused... the original OP said that Seth's brother was hanging by a noose, and now the cause of death is undetermined... do you guys think his girlfriend or someone else wanted it to look like suicide?

Seth C

I am a little confused... the original OP said that Seth's brother was hanging by a noose, and now the cause of death is undetermined... do you guys think his girlfriend or someone else wanted it to look like suicide?

I will say as much as I can in response to this. The original thread was based entirely on the story of that one person. No one else has, or has claimed to have seen him in that situation. By the time paramedics arrives he was not in that situation. So there is one "witness" to is. He left absolutely no indication, intentionally or otherwise, that he intended to take his own life. Because of that there is in investigation.

Pandemic

I will say as much as I can in response to this. The original thread was based entirely on the story of that one person. No one else has, or has claimed to have seen him in that situation. By the time paramedics arrives he was not in that situation. So there is one "witness" to is. He left absolutely no indication, intentionally or otherwise, that he intended to take his own life. Because of that there is in investigation.

Interesting, hopefully the investigation goes well, and if one was involved, that they're dealt with.

Seth C

I know most of you aren't around Lexington, but if you are I'd love for you to come to this. A local brewery, Country Boy, is tapping a special beer in honor of my brother that they are calling "Brotherly Love". This was the last place I saw Aaron, so it means a lot to me. Everyone is welcome, so if you're around please consider coming by.

https://www.facebook.com/events/128246420654236

Volimar

I know most of you aren't around Lexington, but if you are I'd love for you to come to this. A local brewery, Country Boy, is tapping a special beer in honor of my brother that they are calling "Brotherly Love". This was the last place I saw Aaron, so it means a lot to me. Everyone is welcome, so if you're around please consider coming by.

https://www.facebook.com/events/128246420654236

Wow. So much faith in humanity restored whenever I come to this thread. It's like a gas station for the soul.

Seth C

I believe I forgot to post week 8, but week 9 was really good and I wanted to share it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP9V9y_URCA

Also, Brotherly Love was a huge success. We sold through the entire first run in under 5 hours, and in the process raised $500 for the Hope Center (a local charity that provides shelter and rehabilitation for homeless).

RangersFan

I believe I forgot to post week 8, but week 9 was really good and I wanted to share it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP9V9y_URCA

Also, Brotherly Love was a huge success. We sold through the entire first run in under 5 hours, and in the process raised $500 for the Hope Center (a local charity that provides shelter and rehabilitation for homeless).

seth this is the best one yet. he is so appreciative, and right away offered his condolences when you told him about aaron. this dude is very charismatic and sweet (no homo)

Great latest vid!

I just made my first contribution to the Aaron's Last Wish through PayPal. =)

Won $24 on PowerBall($18 net) last night so I donated $25.

Any chance your brother was born on the 29th of a month? That was the winning PB number. =)

Seth must be mackin' on some waitress so he can't update.

Week 11 And we have a hugger! Yay! Waitress last week didn't hug.

Is that your mom who's writing a book Seth?
And when are you updating the money donated? Been stuck at 61,205 forever. I'm pretty sure I donated when that was the total so you should have more than that.

Seth C

Seth must be mackin' on some waitress so he can't update.

Week 11 And we have a hugger! Yay! Waitress last week didn't hug.

Is that your mom who's writing a book Seth?
And when are you updating the money donated? Been stuck at 61,205 forever. I'm pretty sure I donated when that was the total so you should have more than that.

I've been quite busy and or lazy, but you're right, I need to update the donations. They have slowed down quite a bit so I've been less active in doing that, but we are definitely over $62,000.

Also, here is the newest video. This one happened at the "Brotherly Love" beer tapping at Country Boy Brewing. They brewed the beer for Aaron, and made an event of it. We also used it to raise money for the Hope Center here in town, which focuses on housing and supporting those who would otherwise be homeless.

http://youtu.be/Mw4ynx3bbh4

Link

The Autumn Wind
I've been quite busy and or lazy, but you're right, I need to update the donations. They have slowed down quite a bit so I've been less active in doing that, but we are definitely over $62,000.

Also, here is the newest video. This one happened at the "Brotherly Love" beer tapping at Country Boy Brewing. They brewed the beer for Aaron, and made an event of it. We also used it to raise money for the Hope Center here in town, which focuses on housing and supporting those who would otherwise be homeless.

http://youtu.be/Mw4ynx3bbh4
That bartender needs to learn how to pour; let's just get that out of the way first.

I really liked this one. Aside from all your friends getting to share in the moment, the delivery guy's reaction was perfect. He even asked what your brother's name was, which was very genuine.

Intended 4:20 reference? Didn't give the length a look until you crammed in that text where I had to pause to read it all. Seems you wanted to get that text over as quick as possible and make the vid a specific time.

It was alright this week. Guy's reaction wasn't much but he did take off his glasses and seemed like he cared. The bar let you order pizza...strange, but it seems like you rented the place out so I guess that might fly. Tom Petty's "Runnin' Down A Dream" in the background?

Brown haired UK lady was nice to look at.

Seth C

That bartender needs to learn how to pour; let's just get that out of the way first.

I really liked this one. Aside from all your friends getting to share in the moment, the delivery guy's reaction was perfect. He even asked what your brother's name was, which was very genuine.

Haha, I assure you he can pour. The beer was Randalled, which means between the keg and the tap it was forced through a filter packed with hops. It adds an amazing fresh hop flavor and aroma, and also presents hop resin in the beer. However it creates a lot of foam. That's why he was pouring in to pitchers.

Intended 4:20 reference? Didn't give the length a look until you crammed in that text where I had to pause to read it all. Seems you wanted to get that text over as quick as possible and make the vid a specific time.

It was alright this week. Guy's reaction wasn't much but he did take off his glasses and seemed like he cared. The bar let you order pizza...strange, but it seems like you rented the place out so I guess that might fly. Tom Petty's "Runnin' Down A Dream" in the background?

Brown haired UK lady was nice to look at.

4:20 was an accident that I didn't notice until I had the video uploaded to YouTube. That's also when I noticed the text didn't stay on screen long enough, but oh well. Live and learn?

The bar is actually Country Boy Brewing's tap room, and since they don't serve any food they welcome outside food. They do get food trucks to park outside frequently, but everyone is always welcome to bring food in or have it delivered. They brewed the beer (Brotherly Love) in Aaron's honor, as that was the last place I saw him (I took him there for a beer around his birthday). The bar/owners also pitched in most of the money to order the pizzas and donated 15% of all sales (not just sales from Brotherly Love) that day to The Hope Center. We didn't rent out the place, though. Everyone was welcome to come. Background music was provided by their jukebox, which is always free to play.

Seth C

Yo, Seth! I want to bump this so it's not forgotten.

Hey, thanks! I'm actually on a road trip giving tips. Right now I'm in Atlanta, tomorrow I head toward New Orleans, then on to Memphis and Nashville. So far we have given 3 tips here in Atlanta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom