• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Brother's Last Wish: To Leave a $500 Tip...For Pizza

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Seth, I'm not sure if this a right question, but its been bothering me a little.

Since you seem to be getting more and more popular, did you have people recognizing you while you were in a restaurant or whatever the place, expecting a huge tip, but when you gave just a normal one, they were disappointed/acted like a jerk?

Sorry if that sound like an inappropriate question, i just wonder if you met that kind of people yet, as im sure they exist.

Keep doing it though, what you're doing is awesome and i almost feel like doing the same someday, if i ever have enough money to spare.

bengraven

To prevent tears from falling, again, in this thread, I'm starting to half-seriously wonder how many waitresses think Seth is hitting on them with that large amount of money.

Volimar

To prevent tears from falling, again, in this thread, I'm starting to half-seriously wonder how many waitresses think Seth is hitting on them with that large amount of money.

When he has his family around? I'd understand if he was alone or with a couple of guys, but I really don't think that goes through their minds. It's probably more of a "this is a joke and they're going to take the money back and laugh at me, right?" kind of thought in this day and age.

CrankyJay

Banned
you should do at least one of these without the camera as well, just order a pizza and tip the guy with an envelope, don't even tell him the deal or why. maybe put a note in there so he doesn't call you in confusion if he's super honest pizza guy.

Yeah, I think a random pizza delivery person would be a good person to give a tip to...they don't make much.

Any subsequent deliveries you'll probably get the hottest/freshest pizza. lol

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
For what it's worth, Seth, The worst chick on The Five from Fox news featured your brother's story on her closing segment yesterday. Congrats man.

bengraven

When he has his family around? I'd understand if he was alone or with a couple of guys, but I really don't think that goes through their minds. It's probably more of a "this is a joke and they're going to take the money back and laugh at me, right?" kind of thought in this day and age.

Maybe she thinks he's from some bizarre, fictional East European country where your family must be witness when you offer money for a woman's hand in marriage.

hwalker84

That last video for some reason made the tears well up slightly. Man Seth what you're doing in your bothers honor and wishes is amazing.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Yeah, I think a random pizza delivery person would be a good person to give a tip to...they don't make much.

Any subsequent deliveries you'll probably get the hottest/freshest pizza. lol

I agree with this as well. Eons ago I was a pizza delivery driver and I'd be ecstatic if I managed to get a $5 tip.

I would probably crap my pants if I got handed an envelope with $500. That person would for sure get the hottest, freshest pizza in the history of mankind.

Seth C

I agree with this as well. Eons ago I was a pizza delivery driver and I'd be ecstatic if I managed to get a $5 tip.

I would probably crap my pants if I got handed an envelope with $500. That person would for sure get the hottest, freshest pizza in the history of mankind.

Definitely plan to order pizza with the family and surprise the delivery driver at some point. :)

giggas

Saw this thread when it first went up and I felt horrible for you Seth. Decided to check it out again today after noticing the title change and just wow. Incredible stuff. I watched all the YT videos, read the CNN article and skimmed through a solid portion of this thread now. Pretty much blown away. I had to hold back the tears dude. Thanks for this.

Riggs

Banned
Just wanted to let you know that tonight, I left a tip of $13.70 on a $6.30 burger.

Nice man!! Feels good doing stuff like that, I used to tip the local pizza/sub place way to much. But man they loved me, and delivered that food like I was a king hah.

Zabka

Casa Nonna is a nice, relaxed Italian restaurant on 38th Street. They also have a good burger place as you go in.

I highly recommend the Bombolone for dessert.

ETA: If you meet Rebecca Jarvis tomorrow tell her I love her.

Seth C

Casa Nonna is a nice, relaxed Italian restaurant on 38th Street. They also have a good burger place as you go in.

I highly recommend the Bombolone for dessert.

ETA: If you meet Rebecca Jarvis tomorrow tell her I love her.

I'll check those out, and Rebecca is scheduled as the "on air talent" for our segment so I'll be meeting her.

Zabka

I'll check those out, and Rebecca is scheduled as the "on air talent" for our segment so I'll be meeting her.

There's so many great restaurants around Broadway it's hard to go wrong. Because of the theater crowd they make a big effort to get your food out in a timely fashion.

This might help you find something closer: http://gonyc.about.com/od/restaurants/tp/pre_theater.htm

I went to Thalia before seeing Book of Mormon and it was really good too.

Seth C

Basically I'm looking for something not too fancy (I want waiters who could use some extra cash) with decent lighting. That's about it.

Zabka

You could try Ellen's Stardust Diner. It's the one where the waiters and waitresses get up on the tables and sing, often Broadway folks between jobs.

ETA: I haven't been there in a long time. Apparently they pool the tips. From Yelp:

For a second it felt like church when the collection bucket came around asking for tips which go to their scholarship fund that the staff divides up at the end of the week to put towards a dance, acting, or singing lesson in hopes of improving their chances to making it into the spotlight someday. Good luck all, and happy to support the establishment that aspires to assist with launching your dreams.

Midtown's kinda tough. Most waitstaff can earn a lot on tips because everything is so expensive, even the chains. Living in NYC is pretty damn expensive too though so it balances out.

freshair

Saw the video on reddit (a while back with the 1st waitress) before reading through this thread (with the new title change) and the whole time I was like, that looks like Seth... (met you at LA-Gaf) and turns out, it is you!

Condolences for your loss, and what a great way to honor his memory.

Checked out the NPR story just now as I saw you mention it here and saw on Facebook you're on CBS tomorrow with your mom and the first waitress...awesome.

Your website also has your money tracker that you wanted(cool) and I love the people meter as well. Nice touch.

jb1234

Seth, do you know if they'll have a reshowing or even an internet link to the CBS show? 5 AM is a bit early for me. ;)

Yeah, we believe it wa accidental at this point

Also, I'll be on NPR's "All Things Considered" today. Heading to the studio now.

I heard the show tonight. Coming back from getting dinner, had a little private "man cry" it was so moving.

I admit, your mothers words touched me. Keep up the good work man!

Seth C

Yeah, aired around 8am.

Seth, I noticed no one gave out the website address. Did they tell you not to?

Yeah, disappointing. No one said not to, but didn't get the opportunity. I think what mom said went long and they had to cut stuff.

DocX

Just wanted to tell you that you and your brother were mentioned on Bob and Tom show. Hosted here in Indy but I think it's broadcast nationwide including American Forces Radio.

I love Bob & Tom. Sorry I missed that action! Mmmm...Kristy Lee. I bet she read it, too.

Trust me, I've heard it all from starving children in Africa, to the homeless, to orphans. While I realize there are "more worthy" causes on the surface, I think the impact this is having is broader than can be expected. It isn't just the people who get the money (and they work hard and earn very little) but the millions of people who are being uplifted from watching it. $50,000 wouldn't make a dent in the homeless problem this nation faces, but it has proven capable of uplifting the lives of millions somehow.

Just the other day we got word from a taxi driver in San Diego. He received a $500 tip on a $70 cab ride and when he attempted to refuse it, they told him about Aaron and why they were giving him so much. For whatever reason, at this moment, this story is changing the way countless people are behaving in their day-to-day lives. It's inspired a spirit of generosity in so many. I can't say that will be a lifelong change for them, but right now people around their world are doing good things and being generous to strangers because this inspired them to do so.

Niiiiiice.

fixed

and i'll be watching!

I wonder who's controlling whom. Is Seth in control of the hat? Or does the hat control him?

im waiting for the video where they don't notice you til you put the hat on. its like to catch a predator but in reverse.

The hat concurs that this should happen.

For what it's worth, Seth, The worst chick on The Five from Fox news featured your brother's story on her closing segment yesterday. Congrats man.

Do you know if they have a video online for that??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom