• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mysterious SEGA RPG page countdown (Niinou x Kodama x Koshiro)

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Ramune said:
Well on Mota's page, they are indeed playing a Megadrive. Maybe it's a series that has it's roots on the Mega Drive/Genesis? Or that's just a random system Mota decided to put in? Maybe we shouldn't think too much on it. :lol

I think it's part of a running gag. If you read his Twitter, he's having a field day right now on teasing people. When someone asked him about the game, he said "Hint: Super Cassette Vision". Which is obviously a reference to the console made by Epoch, obviously a Image Epoch joke. Then after that he said the concept of the game was "To provide a real RPG for a hardware that you not have yet" which sounds pretty ridiculous, causing the guy he was relying to to go "wtf?! Dreamcast 2 is realllll!!!!" :lol

Ramune

duckroll said:
I think it's part of a running gag. If you read his Twitter, he's having a field day right now on teasing people. When someone asked him about the game, he said "Hint: Super Cassette Vision". Which is obviously a reference to the console made by Epoch, obviously a Image Epoch joke. Then after that he said the concept of the game was "To provide a real RPG for a hardware that you not have yet" which sounds pretty ridiculous, causing the guy he was relying to to go "wtf?! Dreamcast 2 is realllll!!!!" :lol

Damn, the Dreamcast 2 hope is spreading. :lol
Now I feel that I must follow his Twitter as well. What ever it is, I wait on baited breath!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Never heard of Niinou... but the combination of Kodama X Koshiro = OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG. Seeing Kodama helm an RPG again is probably the best thing to happen to the genre in years. Loving that retro-sounding music too.

ethelred

I must have been a really good boy lately. A new Suikoden game? A new Shining Force strategy RPG? And now... this? Not only is Kazuya Niinou's new game going to be involved, but it involves him teaming up with Rieko Kodama, who's finally returning to working on an RPG again?

This is pretty amazing. Two of my all-time favorite RPG designers working together. I really can't wait to see what this is.

Dragona Akehi said:
Holy crap, Niinou and Reiko Kodama working together? AND a Koshiro OST?

Holy crap holy crap holy crap.

This echoes my sentiments precisely.

charlequin said:
... but I let duckroll convince me that World Destruction was going to be a decent game, so I don't know if I should trust him. :lol

I don't know why ducky's opinions on this should factor in one way or the other. I'm excited about this because of the talent involved and because I've been waiting to see Kazuya Niinou's new game ever since he left Atlus; it shouldn't have anything with someone else's reaction.

speedpop said:
His EO scores were pretty lackluster :(

Really? Huh. Guess I have to cross you off the list.

The Etrian Odyssey music is spectacular through and through.

Pachael said:
Feels like the DS is Sega's last bastion. *cries in happiness*

This isn't necessarily for the DS, you know. And Sega's been doing plenty of quality on other systems (see: Crush, Valkyrie of the Battlefield, the Yakuza series).

Srider said:
I'm not at all excited with that silhouette of a dragon sitting there in the background.

I don't at all see how the image of a dragon can work to diminish interest or excitement in this, but hey, whatever.

wsippel

Banned
duckroll said:
If he wasn't joking, it might be an iPhone game.

lyre

ethelred said:
I don't know why ducky's opinions on this should factor in one way or the other. I'm excited about this because of the talent involved and because I've been waiting to see Kazuya Niinou's new game ever since he left Atlus; it shouldn't have anything with someone else's reaction.
If it's anything like World Destructed:
Niinou - Executive Producer
Kodama - 2nd Assistant Director
Mota - Summon monster designsRandom town npcs in first town
Koshiro - Title theme creditsNature sound effects

So yes, possible ducky hype needs to brought down a notch or two. :p

But regardless, can't wait for the end of this month!

Edit: less emphasis

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
charlequin said:
Waaaaaaat. EO has a fantastic score. It's not flashy but every track fits very well with the specific mood and feeling of the location or situation it accompanies (which is really one of Koshiro's best talents anyway, given how well he adapts his composition to many different genres.) Plus he writes old-skool battle music like nobody's business.

More directly on-topic: everyone listed in the title of this thread is totally exciting to me, but I let duckroll convince me that World Destruction was going to be a decent game, so I don't know if I should trust him. :lol

Wait whats wrong with World Destruction?

duckroll

HK-47 said:
Wait whats wrong with World Destruction?

After I deflated the hype with a poor review from Dengeki and some news about how Mitsuda isn't composing the entire soundtrack, some people don't even want to give it a chance anymore. I'm so sad. :(

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
duckroll said:
After I deflated the hype with a poor review from Dengeki and some news about how Mitsuda isn't composing the entire soundtrack, some people don't even want to give it a chance anymore. I'm so sad. :(

=(

ethelred said:
I must have been a really good boy lately. A new Suikoden game? A new Shining Force strategy RPG? And now... this? Not only is Kazuya Niinou's new game going to be involved, but it involves him teaming up with Rieko Kodama, who's finally returning to working on an RPG again?
I might be confused but isn't Rieko Phantasy Star's creator?! Very, very excited if so.

duckroll

Prime crotch said:
I might be confused but isn't Rieko Phantasy Star's creator?! Very, very excited if so.

No. She's one of the original design staff on the PS games, but I don't think anyone can really take credit for "creating" PS.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
duckroll said:
It's not about giving WD a chance... Dengeki totally trashed the game, and the review text made it sound absolutely abysmal. I haven't seen such a low score for an RPG from Dengeki in a long time.

Even with the names involved in this project, I'm keeping my expectations low. Image Epoch doesn't instill confidence in me. Looking at Cozy's fate after leaving Atlus... Lets just say I hope Niinou fairs better.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
duckroll said:
I'm not sure why the latter is surprising, I called that when they revealed the game. :lol

What deflated the hype for me was that comment about all the dungeons being the same. :\ The pacing comment was also discouraging.

duckroll

They didn't say all the dungeons are the SAME. One of the reviewers commented that the game reuses dungeons. I wonder if they reuse dungeons more than once, because that could get annoying.

Cedille

ethelred said:
This isn't necessarily for the DS, you know. And Sega's been doing plenty of quality on other systems (see: Crush, Valkyrie of the Battlefield, the Yakuza series).

True, but Koshiro revealed he's been working on a 'huge DS RPG to be announced soon' in an interview the other day. I know this still doesn't necessarily confirm the platform though.

(to begin with, is this a huge RPG? It comes off as a pretty low-budget RPG of the olden age style, in my eyes).

duckroll

Cedille said:
True, but Koshiro revealed he's been working on a 'huge DS RPG to be announced soon' in an interview the other day. I know this still doesn't necessarily confirm the platform though.

(to begin with, is this a huge RPG? It comes off as a pretty low-budget RPG of the olden age style, in my eyes).

A large scale RPG project can look and sound retro too. Sega has put a ton of money behind World Destruction, so there's no doubt that they would be willing to put a solid budget and scope for Niinou since he's a much more accomplished director than Mikage. It remains to be seen what the game is really like, but so far we know it's somewhat old school, it's a "real RPG" and it's probably a big one. Sega didn't even put out a week long teaser to hype up World Destruction, so maybe this is really something special to them?

I just said that shit about duckroll and World Destruction to bust his chops, I don't actually think there's anything wrong with this game. :lol The music in the teaser is awesome (as should only be expected) and the pedigree is exciting. I definitely can't wait to learn more.

duckroll

I wonder if the game's title is Whirlwind Stories (Whirlwind Monogatari), since Sega registered that trademark 2 months ago. They also registered World Destruction as a trademark 2 months before it was announced in Famitsu.

duckroll

Case said:
Didnt they say there next game was gunna be on PSP? Or at least they said something about working on PSP/

Mikage said the main 3D based team would be working on Wii and PSP titles, while the sprite team would focus on DS titles. Some time after that he mentioned that Image Epoch finally got licenses to develop on the Xbox360 and PS3. You probably won't hear about new games until next year at the earliest. Project S (World Destruction), Project Ray (Arc Rise Fantasia) and Project DF (this game) are the only new IPs they've been working on since early last year.

neo2046

29ftik4.jpg

a mysterious screen capture found at 2ch
they said it is found at the SEGA TGS page
http://tgs.sega.jp/2008/
the page has already been edited

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Tenbatsu said:
Nice find!!! As expected DS again.

DS and RPG, shit is getting crazy...

@neo2046
thx for the information :)
chibi-eo character design ? xD

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I still don't know what to make of that dude's art but if the game has an overall tongue-in-cheek feel it could work really well.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
If that's real then there are obviously different classes, I hope he didn't leave Atlus to work on another dungeon crawler... that'd be somewhat disappointing unless he's doing something radically different with it.

ethelred

7th Dragon is a neat name, and the logo is super cool. I'm dying for next Tuesday to get here so we can see just what this game is and what it's all about.

Also, just because it has user-created characters and customizability, I wouldn't make the leap to assuming this'll be identical to Etrian Odyssey. I very highly doubt they'll make a pure clone of that, but we'll see.

One thing I'm pondering over based on the music: what if the game comes in two styles, one modern (lol N64) and one retro-spritey, with Yuzo Koshiro composing two versions of each song to match the two visual styles? Who knows! I'm excited to see.

lyre

jj984jj said:
If that's real then there are obviously different classes, I hope he didn't leave Atlus to work on another dungeon crawler... that'd be somewhat disappointing unless he's doing something radically different with it.
Dungeon crawling is fine (I love 'em personally) but if it's going to be a copy and paste with a different coat of paint of EO, well, I'm putting down this one trick pony.

Dascu

jj984jj said:
You actually play as the dragon and you have to kill all these pesky warriors invading your lair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom