• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mysterious SEGA RPG page countdown (Niinou x Kodama x Koshiro)

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

The pic doesn't really tell me anything, but the name is pretty cool. There are 7 classes in the splash image with 4 varients each (2 male, 2 female) just like in EO. I really, really hope it's not just another EO outing for Niinou because that would be really disappointing, but I have faith that he didn't leave Atlus to join a new company just to make a higher budget EO. There are many oldschool retro RPG concepts that involve character making that would still work today, so there's no reason to think Niinou is dumb enough to pigeonhole himself in dungeon crawlers.

lyre

duckroll said:
so there's no reason to think Niinou is dumb enough to pigeonhole himself in dungeon crawlers.
While it's someone completely different ....
51V714WHG7L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

*whistles*

I feel reasonably confident that the gameplay here isn't just an EO ripoff. If anything, I'd figure it as a different subgenre of customizable-character RPG that's aiming for an EO-esuqe aesthetic to help bring people on board.

If it were going to be exactly what I want, it would be one of the following:
  • a world-exploration RPG, with big worldmap, lots of distinct towns, different means of travel, a deep class/equipment system, and an overall "plot" that isn't dependent on specific PCs -- kind of like EO meets Dragon Quest.
  • An SRPG.

But... we'll see!

duckroll

Oh Sega, if you're going to pull an accidental leak, at least clean it up well... :lol

29lmgww.jpg

Also, more lovely code from the buttons elsewhere in the flash:

Button 68 said:
on ( press ) {
getURL("/2008/lineup/7thdragon/")
}

Button 69 said:
on ( press ) {
getURL("http://dragon.sega.jp/",target = "_blank")
}

d+pad

Any game with EO-like character designs sounds good to me! Oh, and the name is pretty cool, too. First thing I thought when I saw it (and the character designs) was some sort of sequel/prequel/spin-off of Dragon Force. Considering the project has been called Project DF, maybe there's something to that??

ethelred

lyre said:
While it's someone completely different ....
51V714WHG7L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

*whistles*

Not that Monster Kingdom is much of anything at all like Shin Megami Tensei (something I'm sure you would realize had you ever touched the game), but even if we accept your premise:

362xw.jpg

15clmba.jpg
2r6p0fl.jpg

2f0btxe.jpg
35a6lqc.jpg

2s6sw11.png
w4nrl.jpg

neo2046

not only SEGA, do does Famitsu :lol
(the index page has been deleted now)

2639gyw.jpg

67r1x2.jpg

http://www.famitsu.com/game/coming/1218067_1407.html
新納一哉氏が贈る、ニンテンドーDSのための完全新作RPG『セブンスドラゴン』
『セブンスドラゴン』は、『世界樹の迷宮』を生み出し、3DダンジョンRPGの復権にひと役かった
新納一哉氏の最新作! "フロワロ"と呼ばれる滅びの花が氾濫する世界で、竜と人の戦いを
描いた完全新規RPGだ。

Jonnyram

I just noticed this on my RSS feed now too. Oops Famitsu!
It doesn't say that it's a dungeon RPG. It just says it's a completely fresh RPG from Niinou, who was responsible for the revival of the 3D dungeon RPG, starting with Etrian Odyssey. There is a destructive flower, Furowaro, that has flooded the world in which people and dragons fight.

That does make it sound somewhat less like it's an EO-alike dungeon RPG, then.

Also, time to do the DS dance: \8\ /8/ \8/ \8\ /8/

jsrv

Sounds very interesting

The menu on the bottom of the low res screenshot looks like the battle menu in Etrian Odyssey

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Similar, but different. Looks like 4 characters are represented on the same row in this game, whereas in Etrian Odyssey, it's typically 3 in the front row, 2 in the back (or flipped).

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
You can also see the character that is attacking, that's different too. I really wanna know the details now, the wait for Tuesday is becoming painful. D:

duckroll

Famitsu is failing so much they haven't even removed the evidence yet! Just like Sega! :lol

It's still here: http://www.famitsu.com/rss/fcom_all.rdf

And here: http://www.famitsu.com/game/coming/__icsFiles/thumbnail/2008/09/16/1_000.jpg

It's not a dungeon RPG though, and most definitely not a EO clone. It says "Seventh Dragon is a brand new work from Kazuya Niinou the creator of Sekaijuu no Meikyu, reviving the 3D dungeon RPG genre. It is a brand new refreshing RPG set in a world where humans and dragons are at odds, while the flowers of oblivion called the Furofuro are flooding the land."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom