• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Namco Bandai to host a Pre-TGS Press Event in Tokyo on Oct 7th 11:00AM!

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Firestorm said:
I really dislike how Shane seems to think all jRPGs that aren't Final Fantasy are B titles. Every jRPG waits for FF and copies it? I'm not seeing much copying of FFXII.
Really? You're not seeing the removal of random battles trend, no switching fields for battles, the growing popularity of the offline mmo style, etc? Really?

Eteric Rice

Firestorm said:
I really dislike how Shane seems to think all jRPGs that aren't Final Fantasy are B titles. Every jRPG waits for FF and copies it? I'm not seeing much copying of FFXII.

I think Shane is a douche. Always was, probably always will be.

I will admit that he's had his moments, though.

But personally, I'm more interested in the so called "B" titles than I am Final Fantasy XIII. I haven't really cared much for FF since around 8, so stuff like ToV, Eternal Sonata, Lost Oddysey, Fragile, Arc Rise, etc, are all interesting.

Mainly because I know they won't be Final Fantasy.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
It's hard to get excited because its Namco Bandai, but you never know. There might be something cool.

Hunahan

Banned
Firestorm said:
It's all just silly rationalization to marginalize the 360's RPG library. You have to read between the lines.

You can see it in every RPG thread on GAF as well. Playstation fans are having an extremely difficult time adjusting to the fact that Microsoft has a stronger presence in the RPG market than Sony at the moment. Their silly loyalty won't allow them to just buy the damn machine that has the games they want to play, so they end up doing everything they can to convince themselves that they aren't missing out.

And then as soon as a new press conference comes up, the thread gets flooded with these same people, begging and pleading for ports to PS3 of these same games that they've spent months trying to convince everyone are mediocre.

It's all really obnoxious, but whatever. That's video game fandom for ya.

wsippel

Banned
Firestorm said:
Too bad. It has by far the best combat system I've ever seen in a JRPG.

Rpgmonkey

So um...is there anything talking about the event? :lol

The lack of places covering this isn't helping my already low interest in this.

Jonnyram

Sage00 said:
Really? You're not seeing the removal of random battles trend, no switching fields for battles, the growing popularity of the offline mmo style, etc? Really?
Well I don't think that trend has increased since the release of FFXII, there still aren't that many JRPGs that break the mould.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Okay, see, I don't get the whining here. With the exception of Star Ocean, the RPGs on 360 are "B" titles in most criteria-- sales, notoriety, or review scores. There's not one JRPG on 360 that's been scored 85% or above on gamerankings/metacritic.

I think the more salient point is, "Who cares if they are B level?"

And I agree with him in that I'm longing for an "A" experience-- a Final Fantasy, a Dragon Quest, a Shin Megami Tensei, a Persona, a Kingdom Hearts (sadly, ick). These are A franchises in the RPG world.

Does anyone have another metric by which you can "objectively" rate these games with which to take issue with his moniker? I don't really get it.

And I've played nearly every JRPG on 360-- I'm just lacking Enchant Arms (played it on PS3) and Eternal Sonata (won't play).

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Sage00 said:
err... Plenty of JRPGs featured visible enemies before FF. Shit, CT was WAY before FFX (the last main FF with random battles), and it (CT) had visible enemies.

I don't really believe FF is so ahead of the curve like many people believe.

Firestorm

I'm not seeing any mention of the event on 1up, IGN, Kotaku, or *******. Any Japanese blogs liveblogging that anyone here translate?

gkryhewy

Y2Kev said:
Okay, see, I don't get the whining here. With the exception of Star Ocean, the RPGs on 360 are "B" titles in most criteria-- sales, notoriety, or review scores. There's not one JRPG on 360 that's been scored 85% or above on gamerankings/metacritic.

I think the more salient point is, "Who cares if they are B level?"

And I agree with him in that I'm longing for an "A" experience-- a Final Fantasy, a Dragon Quest, a Shin Megami Tensei, a Persona, a Kingdom Hearts (sadly, ick). These are A franchises in the RPG world.

Does anyone have another metric by which you can "objectively" rate these games with which to take issue with his moniker? I don't really get it.

And I've played nearly every JRPG on 360-- I'm just lacking Enchant Arms (played it on PS3) and Eternal Sonata (won't play).

I personally haven't played any yet - several on my backlog, as I'm finishing up FFXII right now. However, the issue isn't so much his silly A/B dichotomy - it's the notion that TEN good games equal ONE "great" game. It's just patently absurd to think that it makes sense to miss 10 good games while waiting 3 years for one "great" game that'll last a couple of weeks, if that.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Hunahan said:
It's all just silly rationalization to marginalize the 360's RPG library. You have to read between the lines.

You can see it in every RPG thread on GAF as well. Playstation fans are having an extremely difficult time adjusting to the fact that Microsoft has a stronger presence in the RPG market than Sony at the moment. Their silly loyalty won't allow them to just buy the damn machine that has the games they want to play, so they end up doing everything they can to convince themselves that they aren't missing out.

And then as soon as a new press conference comes up, the thread gets flooded with these same people, begging and pleading for ports to PS3 of these same games that they've spent months trying to convince everyone are mediocre.

It's all really obnoxious, but whatever. That's video game fandom for ya.

Perhaps it's partly that, but I feel it's also largely a lack of knowledge of the current Japanese gaming industry. Journalistic outlets these days don't seem to put the same kind of effort into knowing what's happening here in Japan than they used to.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
gkrykewy said:
I personally haven't played any yet - several on my backlog, as I'm finishing up FFXII right now. However, the issue isn't so much his silly A/B dichotomy - it's the notion that TEN good games equal ONE "great" game. It's just patently absurd to think that it makes sense to miss 10 good games while waiting 3 years for one "great" game that'll last a couple of weeks, if that.
Sure, agreed. That's silly, particularly because From making enchant arms does not detract from Square making FF13 ;)

gkryhewy

Error said:
err... Plenty of JRPGs featured visible enemies before FF. Shit, CT was WAY before FFX (the last main FF with random battles), and it (CT) had visible enemies.

I don't really believe FF is so ahead of the curve like many people believe.

Gambits kinda suck - I'm beating the game by brute force, and I haven't needed more gambits than I obtained in the first 5 hours of the game. And I mean brute force literally - I'm really not needing any attack magic - just physical attacks, a few summons, and white magic.

It just doesn't feel like a very nuanced battle system. Still like the game very much, however.

EDIT: The story is complete ass, however.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Macstorm said:
OMG IT STARTED SIX MINUTES AGO AND NO ONE IS COVERING THE INTRODUCTIONS. FAIL.

Well, yea, that is sort of the problem, we have no idea if anybody is covering this event at all.

It sucks not being able to profuse bodily fluids as an event unfolds; we could be missing some interesting stuff right now.

wsippel said:
It makes little sense to embargo an event like this. TGS starts in two days.
Maybe that was a reason to embargo. :D OMG this news is too big to get out 2 days before we REALLY annouce it...

Jonnyram

You guys are nuts. The OP even says it goes on until the evening. Noone's going to liveblog for 6+ hours continuously.

Dali

wsippel said:
It makes little sense to embargo an event like this. TGS starts in two days.
Gives the poor, overworked, game writers the ability to already have write-ups on Namco stuff before the show even starts. Once the embargo is over they can just post their stuff without having to visit the booths.

Top Bottom