• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Champion Kyrie Irving is a flat Earth truther

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trey

http://www.si.com/extra-mustard/201...e-irving-flat-earth?xid=socialflow_twitter_si

Let's get this out of the way right off the bat: the Earth is not flat. Most people know this, but the internet has given rise to a growing group of meme-happy people who believe Earth is flat and surrounded by walls of ice, and that NASA has been fabricating evidence to the contrary.

That’s dangerously idiotic, and you know who buys into it? Kyrie Irving!

Irving’s teammates Channing Frye and Richard Jefferson have a podcast (Road Tripping with R.J. and Channing) and Kryie was a guest on the latest edition. When Frye brought up the question of whether aliens exist, Irving took the opportunity to ask his teammates, “Do you think the Earth is round?” Frye and Jefferson said yes, but Irving was unequivocal.

“This is not even a conspiracy theory,” Kryie said. “The Earth is flat.”

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Make a bit more money Kyrie and you can get on those of those super airbuses that go to the edge of the atmosphere. Hopefully those come with windows.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
The fuck is with celebrities and flat earth shit?

You that bored?

Often rich people and celebs in particular are super self involved and self righteous. Ronda Rousey is a 9/11 and Sandy Hook truther. Mark ruffalo is a 9/11 truther. Pete Carrol Seahawks headcoach is a truther who actually got into a heated argument with a former military official about him "lying" about what he knows. Jesse James is the king of conspiracy theories. Jayden Smith. Hollywood and celebs in general always seem to have all the answers.

This one's a bit different, but I think Leo DiCaprio being the spokesman for global warming is also hilarious given his yacht and private jets with all his fancy excursions and vacations giving him a massive footprint.

Alucrid

Banned
How high do you think planes fly where you can get to a height to tell the Earth is round? You fly London to New York via NASA?

you don't even need to be in a plane to see it. bring the moron to a coast and give him a pair of binoculars and wait for a ship

He gets paid to put a ball in a metal circle professionally.

I do not expect him to understand much else.

I respect an athlete for his abilities and skills, but then some of them start talking... and I don't care how good your skills are, you're an idiot.

514927main_iss026e023340_full.jpg

yup.. looks flat to me

/smh

What the hell? I was a freshman at Duke when he was, and I never remember hearing anything about him being dumb as a rock. To the contrary, the only rumors I heard made it sound like he was pretty smart.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
you don't even need to be in a plane to see it. bring the moron to a coast and give him a pair of binoculars and wait for a ship

Not arguing the earth is flat at all, but isn't this false? The way the horizon looks is more of an optical illusion.

Madness

Often rich people and celebs in particular are super self involved and self righteous. Ronda Rousey is a 9/11 and Sandy Hook truther. Mark ruffalo is a 9/11 truther. Pete Carrol Seahawks headcoach is a truther. Jesse James is the king of conspiracy theories. Jayden Smith. Hollywood and celebs in general always seem to have all the answers.

This one's a bit different, but I think Leo DiCaprio being the spokesman for global warming is also hilarious given his yacht and private jets with all his fancy excursions and vacations giving him a massive footprint.

This is not even remotely the same as the preceding examples, it is more than a bit different and he even says this same thing in Before the Flood. That he is a celebrity who flies around to Cannes on a private jet and then criticizes the oil industry for the tar sands devastation. People who eat meat can criticiz animal cruelty, an actor who needs to fly everywhere or use oil/gas vehicles can criticize the fossil fuel industry for environmental degradation.

chaislip3

Not arguing the earth is flat at all, but isn't this false? The way the horizon looks is more of an optical illusion.

Yeah, this is true. Still, there are so many ways to easily refute this theory.

Him doubting the existence of other planets is also bizarre.

Trey

What the hell? I was a freshman at Duke when he was, and I never remember hearing anything about him being dumb as a rock. To the contrary, the only rumors I heard made it sound like he was pretty smart.

He is a very bright dude in most respects.

Kusagari

That's really the most bizarre part of the flat earth nonsense, it's so much work to keep up this supposed ruse for nothing.

It just screams people trying to find conspiracy theories in anything. Like at least with other conspiracy theories the shit actually makes sense as a coverup.

In this case we're just being told the Earth is round because...reasons.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
This is not even remotely the same as the preceding examples, it is more than a bit different and he even says this same thing in Before the Flood. That he is a celebrity who flies around to Cannes on a private jet and then criticizes the oil industry for the tar sands devastation. People who eat meat can criticiz animal cruelty, an actor who needs to fly everywhere or use oil/gas vehicles can criticize the fossil fuel industry for environmental degradation.

Lol actually no, he doesn't NEED to go out on his multi million dollar yacht with 30 women to accompany him. Point being celebrities are self indulgent know it alls. I think Leo should be more aware of his footprint given how educated his is on the subject.

Most celebrities are dumb as shit and instead of either A.) admitting they're dumb as shit or B.) educating themselves, you have this other group - C - who compensate for their lack of common sense and intelligence by hiding both deficiencies under a mask of smug contrarianism.

Regginator

1) he's joking. All flat Earthers are joking, there's no way this is even a discussion

2) the author answers his own question:

Most people know this, but the internet has given rise to a growing group of meme-happy people who believe Earth is flat

Flat Earth is just the ultimate internet trolling.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
1) he's probably joking. All flat Earthers are joking, there's no way this is even a discussion

2) the author answers his own question:

Flat Earth is just the ultimate internet trolling.

Actually no they're not just trolling. You should look into loose change, sandy hoax, etc. These people genuinely believe the madness.

Most celebrities are dumb as shit and instead of either A.) admitting they're dumb as shit or B.) educating themselves, you have this other group - C - who compensate for their lack of common sense and intelligence by hiding both deficiencies under a mask of smug contrarianism.

I don't think they're dumb as shit. I think they're selfish involved and smug. They consider themselves more in tune and aware. Others who disagree are "sheep"

fish eye lens

faked

I wasn't aware of this until the other day but there's also people who believe gravity isn't real.

Gravity isn't real. The flat earth we live on is just accelerating through space at a speed of 9.8 m/sec^2

Obviously

Looking forward to when we surpass the speed of light. Any day now...

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Guess Kyrie should have stayed in school.

I don't understand the point of flat earth troopers. The Sandy Hook truthers are the ones that piss me off to no end. That they'd willingly believe i some government farce with kid actors to institute gun control rather than come to terms with the fact that maybe something should be done to stop elementary school kids from being mowed down by a psycho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom