• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Playgrounds |OT| More entertaining & less predicable than the NBA play-offs!

Are my joycons broken? There is an insane high pitched vibration going on when I tried to play. So loud but I cant turn vibration off.

Hope they aren't broken.

AGoodODST

Are my joycons broken? There is an insane high pitched vibration going on when I tried to play. So loud but I cant turn vibration off.

Hope they aren't broken.

Probably a bug like what happened with Snake Pass. I am sure I read someone else was having the same issue.

Beaten

pdk27

Please give me the option to disable rumble on the Switch. IMO it's horrible. Drove me more nuts than the loading times and fuzzy graphics in handheld mode.

ElNino

This seem like it was a rushed job and that's probably why the Switch version isn't up to par as optimization will take a bit of time and work.
Rushed might be a bit harsh, but I can understand wanting to get the game out while the playoffs are still in going on. For a small studio (I assume), they would be crushed if they went head-to-head with 2K. Even the 2K18 announcements this week aren't helping them most likely.

I've played a dozen or so games (one online) on the Xbox One thus far, and it seems pretty solid to me. Looking forward to getting a few games in this evening with my son when he's home from school.

Shady859

Sitting here wasting time today and picked up PS4 version. Pretty damn fun although not a fan yet of powerups maybe that'll change after I get good and it's not just PC raining them on me. Got epic Anthony Davis and a Eric Bledsoe from starter packs so this Kentucky fan is happy....until I pull a Wall and Boogie!

Glix

Sitting here wasting time today and picked up PS4 version. Pretty damn fun although not a fan yet of powerups maybe that'll change after I get good and it's not just PC raining them on me. Got epic Anthony Davis and a Eric Bledsoe from starter packs so this Kentucky fan is happy....until I pull a Wall and Boogie!

It would be awesome if Boogie behaved... erratically.

Think I may pick this up tonight. It seems like there is enough progression to keep me playing and at $20 it seems cheap enough. Some more Switch impressions would be nice though.

13ruce

Banned
That's exactly me. I prefer to buy 3rd party games on the Switch because of the portability factor. If they can't run the games in 720p undocked then I will just get it on one of the consoles. No point is playing the graphically inferior version if it's not going to perform in handheld mode

Same here if all 3ds games run in 240p i want Switch games to run in 720p undocked always minimal otherwise no buy.

Richie

From player selection to the start of the match the load times are around 38 seconds. Not great but not awful. The whistle and few second pause after scoring is more annoying, imo.

I'm the NWR reviewer and after noticing how rough the loads were, I started timing them regularly. From tournament round selection to game start (goes from round select to team select to game), it was about a minute of loads every time. And the tournament matches themselves aren't even that long. Obviously what is indefensible for some is okay for others. The long loads really bugged me here.

Oh boy. Thanks guys. Here's to Saber pulling off a Konami and polish their title should it sell well.

Shady859

It would be awesome if Boogie behaved... erratically.

Shove should be 11/10.

I'm on launch day OG PS4 looks and runs buttery only real downer is maybe a minute load time after picking players and court loading up. Haven't tried online yet I'm doing these tournaments. 7GB over here as well.

fernoca

Tried local multi (against myself) with two joycons, was nice. Got a card pack at least. XD

A friend is coming later, so will actually try it later.

Undocked the game looks fine. Granted, it does look a bit blurry but I don't mind. Guess I just got used to it across other handhelds, Wii U and even Skylanders on Switch. As long as it's colorful at least. :p

Can anyone explain blocks and layups? I try to time layups like jumpers bit I'm literally 0-7 with wide open layups with chris paul. He does like triple windmill scoop layups so idk when to let go.

Also blocks. I've been in perfect position with rudy gobert but i cant block anything at all.

I feel like I'm crazy.

Glix

Think I may pick this up tonight. It seems like there is enough progression to keep me playing and at $20 it seems cheap enough. Some more Switch impressions would be nice though.

If you've played Snake Pass or Lego City you can imagine what the sub native res graphics are like. Certainly noticeable, but not a deal breaker for me.

Besides that the game runs great and plays just like the ps4 demo I played.

Can anyone explain blocks and layups? I try to time layups like jumpers bit I'm literally 0-7 with wide open layups with chris paul. He does like triple windmill scoop layups so idk when to let go.

Also blocks. I've been in perfect position with rudy gobert but i cant block anything at all.

I feel like I'm crazy.

I THINK, I am not sure, that they want you to release, like halfway through the animation. So you have to get used to the different animations, the windmills and the finger rolls can be very hard to time.

Glix

My wealth of NBA Jam experience is working against me I keep forgetting that it changes who I am controlling when I pass the ball.

I love how the CPU constantly steals the ball and throws 4 points when you have more points

At least they don't lightning then blue shell you feet before the finish line.

phant0m

Man, sounds like the Switch version is a bummer. I'd really prefer to have this mobile though...maybe I'll check back in after a few patch revs

any word from devs on updates... and switch performance?

The first two priorities are:

Switch Online, which has already been submitted to Nintendo for certification
Loading times

Source: I interviewed the developers yesterday and the video goes live in 50 minutes.

Got it for Switch, game is awesome.
Plays just like I hoped.
Thankfully, it doesn't look as bad on the screen as some think but of course it could be sharper.
I won my last game with Laimbeer making 15 of 21 3s(50 points)and they gave MVP to the other team's Drexler who was 3-3 with 15 points and 3 blocks.
>:eek:

Got it for Switch, game is awesome.
Plays just like I hoped.
Thankfully, it doesn't look as bad on the screen as some think but of course it could be sharper.
I won my last game with Laimbeer making 15 of 21 3s(50 points)and they gave MVP to the other team's Drexler who was 3-3 with 15 points and 3 blocks.
>:eek:
Nice!

I bought it on the Switch and my brother and I had a blast playing it on my tv docked. I don't know about table top mode just yet, I'll check it out later.

John Stockton is a beast. I cheesed my brother to death with steals and threes. Stockton excels at both lol.

How do alley-oops work? Do you initiate your teammate's jump with a button press and then just pass? Do you have to time the release properly on the finish like with a regular dunk?

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Dammit, I left my desk for lunch and I come back and my Switch, for some reason, is completely powered off and my almost finished Playgrounds download is nowhere to be found. How do I get that back?

EDIT: found it, starting over from zero. There goes my post-lunch plans.

ElNino

How do alley-oops work? Do you initiate your teammate's jump with a button press and then just pass? Do you have to time the release properly on the finish like with a regular dunk?
On the Xbox you hold LT and the AI player will jump. Press A (pass) while holding LT and you will pass them the ball in the air for the dunk. You do need to time the pass for when they are in position to receive it though.

tmac456

Seems like 3pters being based on timing is going to be a real issue with cheesing online. Some of the 3pt % I'm seeing is ridiculously high

Dammit, I left my desk for lunch and I come back and my Switch, for some reason, is completely powered off and my almost finished Playgrounds download is nowhere to be found. How do I get that back?
Go to the eshop and click your avatar in the top right corner. Should be an option to re-download.

Players are coming and they will be free! I'll post the video in 30.
Nice they give a timeframe?

If you've played Snake Pass or Lego City you can imagine what the sub native res graphics are like. Certainly noticeable, but not a deal breaker for me.

Besides that the game runs great and plays just like the ps4 demo I played.

I THINK, I am not sure, that they want you to release, like halfway through the animation. So you have to get used to the different animations, the windmills and the finger rolls can be very hard to time.

That's not a major concern for me. I'd rather have it portable or I'd get it on my PS4. Seems like the type of game I'd like to take with me to play friends.

BTW, Lego City U is native 1080p docked and 720 undocked. There was a lot of misinformation regarding this title on Switch for whatever reason. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-lego-city-undercover-face-off

With Switch you hold LZ and after a couple seconds, the other player will flash blue and you press the pass button.

newsguy

Why not buy on PS4 or Xbone?

That was the plan after undocked impressions, but the Switch is the only console I have 2 controllers for so I can play with my son. Unfortunately in the middle of the undocked info I completely missed that this doesn't run at 1080p docked.

Top Bottom