• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Playgrounds |OT| More entertaining & less predicable than the NBA play-offs!

Matticers

I'm having fun after a handful of games. The timing for dunks/layups is messing with me a little like I thought it would when I first saw it in videos of the gameplay. They don't really teach you when to release it for those so it's just trial and error. I've been releasing it a second or so after I go up for a dunk and it seems to be mostly working like that. Or in the middle of the animation if it's a longer range dunk.

I don't get why they put Webber on the Warriors, though. Why not the Kings? They could probably use some more good representatives from that franchise and he was in his prime there. He only played one season in GS if I'm remembering correctly so it's kind of odd. Not a big deal, it's just a head scratcher. lol. Pulled Magic Johnson as my first legend after completing the first tournament so I'll give him a try.

Also, the car animation in the background of the New York court is... not good. At least on the Switch. lol. If I keep having fun with this and they do keep updating it, I may pick this up on the PS4 too since it's only twenty bucks.

If they could do something to make the game less reliant on threes and steals, that would be awesome. Threes are already easy to make but with needing to have the correct timing for layups and dunks, that's just going to make people take threes even more. So it's a little concerning but we'll see how they address it.

Website Link to Interview and Information

Saber Interactive will be releasing several updates for the game over the coming months, with two main priorities: Online features on Nintendo Switch and loading times. The Switch currently has the longest load times of any platform, but Matt did promise this will be addressed in the first major update.

There are currently no plans for monetization through player packs or new playgrounds, these will be released free of charge so I will be able to play as Steve Nash – I am a Phoenix Suns fan after all. This is a marked difference from the direction EA has taken with their line of Ultimate Team modes

One interesting detail that was left on the cutting room floor is this: Journeyman players will receive updates later to allow you to choose their team, such as Grant Hill, and there are already several Legends that have this completed.

This is the first game to pose a unique complication for us at Just Pause, while the game is fun, it is not quite complete. It is what we have decided to refer to as a ‘Living Game’ meaning the game available for purchase today at $20 is not quite the same game you will be able to purchase a year from now, there will be dozens, if not hundreds, of new players on the roster and new modes both online and offline.

There is some Shaq Fu info at the link.

Here is the link directly to the video.

Note: This is some self-promotion so I included almost all of the text so you don't need to hit the link.

derFeef

Jeff Gerstmann just said on the bombcast that it does not feel great and I trust him with arcade basketball. I am still going to buy it since he sometimes exaggerate a bit and 20$ is not that bad - hopefully they tweak it a lot.

Glix

Jeff Gerstmann just said on the bombcast that it does not feel great and I trust him with arcade basketball. I am still going to buy it since he sometimes exaggerate a bit and 20$ is not that bad - hopefully they tweak it a lot.

I strongly disagree. The fact that they nailed the "feel" so well is why I'm totally okay with the sub native res.

zeeaykay

I will say that last night after playing like 5 games I was pretty disappointed. It didn't quite play like I was expecting it to.

However, after better learning how the timing works (1, 2 release like someone mentioned earlier - don't release at as the ball does) and getting a feel for linking crossovers and such I feel much better about it.

It would be nice to get some kind of feedback or at least a better tutorial on shot release timing, but if you're not feeling it right away I would suggest you give it a little longer and try different things. It might click, like it did for me.

zelas

Pretty much echoes my comments in the previous thread. The game doesn't feel good to play on top of its other issues.

ElNino

Pretty much echoes my comments in the previous thread. The game doesn't feel good to play on top of its other issues.
I can't say I agree with that. I "feels" good to me, and has been fun to play even though I'm only a dozen or so games in. I'll need to play more to figure out the timing for some of the shots as well as getting better at using the cross over to avoid steals, but I think the feel of the game is fine.

It's pretty much NBA Jam/Street 2017 to me.

bumpkin

This is probably a dumb question, but how long on average is a game? I noticed there was a running clock in the PS4 beta, but I never paid attention to how much time was on it when a game began.

ElNino

This is probably a dumb question, but how long on average is a game? I noticed there was a running clock in the PS4 beta, but I never paid attention to how much time was on it when a game began.
I think the game clock is 5 minutes, so a bit longer than that taking into account that the clock stops between baskets and shot clock violations.

It depends on your game mode:

You can choose to set a match to either time or score goals, e.g. 5 minutes or 21 points.

Tournament game length is dependent upon the level of tournament, the lower on the bracket you are the shorter the game.

Hopefully that helps!

ElNino

It depends on your game mode:

You can choose to set a match to either time or score goals, e.g. 5 minutes or 21 points.

Tournament game length is dependent upon the level of tournament, the lower on the bracket you are the shorter the game.

Hopefully that helps!
See, I didn't even know this. :)

I've only played the first tournament location (New York) and assumed it was the standard game time. Good to know that it can change.

chessnut

I don't like the feel of this game at all. I don't like the "press shoot then time the shoot button again" to hit every single type of shot. What the hell was wrong with holding shoot and then release at the right moment? It's silly to miss layups because of that. And I dislike this unlocking and leveling up of characters. Can we just have an NBA street vol. 4 with vol. 1 and 2 controls? Thanks.

Glix

I don't like the feel of this game at all. I don't like the "press shoot then time the shoot button again" to hit every single type of shot. What the hell was wrong with holding shoot and then release at the right moment? It's silly to miss layups because of that. And I dislike this unlocking and leveling up of characters. Can we just have an NBA street vol. 4 with vol. 1 and 2 controls? Thanks.

Ummm, you're doing it wrong. Just hold then release at the correct moment.

Neath

Neo Member
Does this game have controller vibration?

I played on PC for like two hours last night and can't remember if it did. I am using an Xbox One controller.

newsguy

I just did a shimmy with Hakeem and the announcer called it the dream. How do you do player specific moves, or is it random?

jtrov

Damn this game is fun. Just running through the CPU with Dell Curry and KD so far, but now I hit a wall in Paris against CP3 and Griffin... I can't get a shot off as the second I get passed half court I'm bullied for a turnover lol. I was enjoying my 3 point cheese, but I guess it's time to bring out the Iceman and Wilt the Stilt for some rebounds, steals, and dunks.

Really liking how the game plays and the lottery pick stuff doesn't detract from the game like I thought it would. Can't wait for online to be added to the Switch version, but at least it will give me time to stock up and grind for new players.

Really impressed after playing for a few hours and if it wasn't for work, I would still be playing lol. Better get myself AI in a pack at some point later tonight.

ElNino

If this were Street 2017 it would be considered one of the worst sequels ever. Sure, it's fun here and there, but it is to Street what Clay Fighter is to Mortal Kombat.
Okay. It's been such a long time since I've play Street that I won't argue any specifics, but to me Playgrounds has the initial "feel" of playing a Jam/Street game.

If it feels off to some, fine, but I don't think it's universally janky or anything like that.

tmac456

This game is no NBA Street. I've enjoyed this for the NBA jam type game if is, but street was on a whole other level of player control and mastering different moves etc

mazillion

I was browsing the impression on Switch Reddit (link to thread)

Supposedly the developer commented on ACG's review about the state of the game and future content. I haven't seen this on GAF so I'm sharing it.

Quotes from the (alleged) Dev on the ACG review that that u/ezaklycle was talking about
1)Fair review - we are working to get the other features in. They will be done very soon. We just couldn't get them certified by the platform holders in time and if we delayed release we would be pushing to the end of the basketball season and then be put up against 2K in the fall - not the best option for a new game...
2)It isn't easy to put your product out into the wild and have it commented on but that is part of the process. We are definitely going to do everything we can to address the shortcomings of the game in terms of online features and to add more cool stuff as soon as possible. I would have loved nothing more than to have all the features we could have in this game on launch and we are definitely committed to getting them out. We will just need to continue to prove ourselves. Thanks again.
3)MJ isn't part of the retirement association and it is super expensive to get a few players to a licensing deal (including MJ). If the game sells well we will definitely find a way to make it happen. I agree of course that he would be awesome to have in game.
edit: these are three separate replies to separate comments on the video

I haven't verified this (and it sounds like maybe they didn't either) but it seems legit

newsguy

Yeah there's definitely specials. I did the move again. Basically I was taking a regular shot, and Hakeem does his famous pivot half spin jumper. The announcer yells "the dream!" Pretty cool

giphy.gif

derFeef

I disabled Trump and Ice T the moment I played the first match.
Switch is blurry in handheld, yes.
It controls well, need to get used to the shots - it does not feel good (yet).

edit: yes, disabled vibration as well.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
What's up with the random, violent vibrations that seem like phone notifications when playing in Switch handheld mode?! I've never heard my Switch make such a noise and I have no clue what is triggering the "buzz buzz" in game.

Will also back up the claims of blurriness in Switch handheld mode. It's weird looking.

It feels as it should, no idea what he's talking about but, while a cool guy, I hardly ever agree with him on games of late.

maxmars

I think it is contextual. I believe I read each legend has at least one signature move or shot. With Hakeem a certain crossover direction is probably always the dream, but I'm not certain.

I've had different dunks called out with different names, if that can help.

newsguy

It feels as it should, no idea what he's talking about but while a cool guy, I hardly ever agree with him on games of late.

To be fair, the timing mechanic is either completely broken, or is completely different than any basketball game before it. I'm consistently timing well, but only by doing a 1-2 count in my head and releasing. In no way is the release timed with the peak of the shot or the release from the fingertips like any other ball game. Maybe this is what he's referring to.

It feels as it should, no idea what he's talking about but, while a cool guy, I hardly ever agree with him on games of late.

I agree with this, the last 12-16 months I have found myself disagreeing with him more and more on his personal gaming tastes.

I really like this game, spent all day playing it and only have 2 tournaments left (been trying really hard to get the challenges done as I go through each one - blocking ones have been the hardest for me!)

I can't wait to see what they add and how they are going to monetize new content - I assume we will be paying for arenas? I wouldn't mind paying a couple of pounds for a couple of new courts every now and then.

Allen Iverson is a beast btw, rains in those 3's and was my first player to be fully levelled.

The developer even said it was more NBA Jam than Street though inspired by both.
I thought it was obvious in videos it was an NBA Jam clone.
But it's quite well done.

To be fair, the timing mechanic is either completely broken, or is completely different than any basketball game before it. I'm consistently timing well, but only by doing a 1-2 count in my head and releasing. In no way is the release timed with the peak of the shot or the release from the fingertips like any other ball game. Maybe this is what he's referring to.
I don't know what to say, I hit most of my three pointers.
I don't really keep a count in my head, just shoot it at the near apex of the jump.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Goddamn Nintendo Swish from 3, boyyyyy.

Seems a bit easy to hit from outside. Also, this vibration is being all the way turnt off if that's an option.

Goddamn Nintendo Swish from 3, boyyyyy.

Seems a bit easy to hit from outside. Also, this vibration is being all the way turnt off if that's an option.
They will probably tweak the vibration(as it's crazy, haha) like the developers of Snake Pass did but you can turn it off only by disabling it on the Switch settings as far as I know.

f@luS

More than a member.
i could have taken the pS4 version but the switch game is ok looking docked, almost see no difference from the ps4 demo i played (is it native? if no it has to be close....) and the haldheld mode is a bigger "+" that some shadow or physics in this kind of game

Neath

Neo Member
I agree with this, the last 12-16 months I have found myself disagreeing with him more and more on his personal gaming tastes.

I really like this game, spent all day playing it and only have 2 tournaments left (been trying really hard to get the challenges done as I go through each one - blocking ones have been the hardest for me!)

I can't wait to see what they add and how they are going to monetize new content - I assume we will be paying for arenas? I wouldn't mind paying a couple of pounds for a couple of new courts every now and then.

Allen Iverson is a beast btw, rains in those 3's and was my first player to be fully levelled.

I love Jeff, but didn't he say that even Zelda Breath of the Wild was not that great of a game?

I think now a days I only agree with him like 30% of the time on his game reviews.

Top Bottom