• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed Rivals (PS4/XB1/PC/PS360, Ghost/Criterion, FB3, Nov 19) [Teaser/Pics]

need_for_speed_rivalsh5s8i.jpg

Someone hold me.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
No Wii U version confirmed.

There won't, however, be a Wii U version of Need for Speed Rivals, and Nilsson is sticking to the company line that the Frostbite engine doesn't play nice with Nintendo's console. "Yeah, Frostbite is not really set up for Wii U. I don't have all the information, so it wouldn't be right for me to speak about it. Frostbite 3 is a really capable engine, it's scalable and it gives us a big advantage on the next generation to support the Xbox One and the PS4, but it's not being developed on the Wii U."
Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...g-bring-need-for-speed-to-the-next-generation

There's no more title room and I'd rather keep this thread about the game itself, so I made a separate thread here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=564053

I really hope there are tons of customization options in this game but I'm not holding my breath. I miss that and wish they would go back to it. Beyond it even to offer even more customization than before if possible.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
We also finally found out why the Watch_Dogs/Far Cry 3 lead designer is on this:

Nilsson's looked outside the genre, too, recruiting an expert in open world design with Jamie Keen, the lead designer on Ubisoft's Watch Dogs and Far Cry 3. "I really liked what he did on Far Cry 3 in the sense that you always had something to do," Nilsson explains. "Having him and Craig work together is creating a mix that's really interesting for Need for Speed."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...g-bring-need-for-speed-to-the-next-generation

No clue if they will actually have the world jam packed with content, or if you will have to capture 5000 collectibles unlocked via taking over towers, but since we had the previous thread I thought it was an interesting note.

ShowDog

Perhaps the minimap in this game will warn you of upcoming turns before you pass them. Or perhaps they can sacrifice their precious unobtrusive UI with an arrow pointing in the direction of the objective.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Since someone asked about customization:

Personalize your cars with performance and style

Power up your car with the latest upgrades in gadget technology and personalize your bodywork with fresh paintjobs, liveries, custom license plates, rims, and decals to show off your car to the world.

You can save different configurations and keep a variety of car packages on alert to leave your mark no matter the situation.

It seems to be aesthetic.

Striek

From the Polygon article in the OP:

Devs of car games need to stop this bullshittery. None of this is indicative of anything realtime at all, ever. Driveclub, Forza 5, GT6 and this...I just want to know what the actual game will look like when I'm playing it, hell even in replay mode. But these screens say absolutely nothing to me. They're attractive, but I've no way to tell if the game will be in the same fucking realm.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Devs of car games need to stop this bullshittery. None of this is indicative of anything realtime at all, ever. Driveclub, Forza 5, GT6 and this...I just want to know what the actual game will look like when I'm playing it, hell even in replay mode. But these screens say absolutely nothing to me. They're attractive, but I've no way to tell if the game will be in the same fucking realm.
Racing game screenshots are always hilarious to me for this reason.

btkadams

i completely agree. it's really irritating.

Anteater

i hope it's 60fps, haven't played a nfs since porsche unleashed, tried the last one (I think?) from ps+ (1hr trial) and it felt/looked horrible at 30fps =/

1080p/60fps for nextgen?

Hmmm. Will PS4 be the only next gen system that this title can be rented for?

Wii U is pretty much screwed. Have the Frostbite developers ever stated exactly why it doesn't work well with Wii U?

Nintendo should have at least made their system as capable as 360 in respect to every single bottleneck.

saladine1

Intense racing moments are made even more thrilling with access to technology and upgrades customized to each side of the law.

Racers evade cops using tech such as turbos bursts, jammers and electromagnetic pulses. Cops are outfitted for aggressive busts with shockwaves, roadblocks, helicopter support and more. No matter the side you choose, use technology to stay one step ahead of your rivals.

Jammers, shockwaves?

Really?

I actually thought for a second there that EA was returning to the real upgrades and customization of old. I thought that Criterion has finally listened to the multitude of people around the net asking and pleading for true modifications along the lines of UG2. lol, Criterion, please go back to Burnout and leave these games for someone else..please...

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Jammers, shockwaves?

Really?

I actually thought for a second there that EA was returning to the real upgrades and customization of old. I thought that Criterion has finally listened to the multitude of people around the net asking and pleading for true modifications along the lines of UG2. lol, Criterion, please go back to Burnout and leave these games for someone else..please...
I'd rather prefer that Underground remains dead and buried. So happy Ferrari is back.

I'm of the opinion that Underground was the series' jump-the-shark moment. I want my exotics, not the car I own.

I think, and I could be wrong here, that when people speak of going back to the days of Underground that they mean so more for the fact that you could heavily customize your rides to your personal taste and not necessarily the car selection. Again, I could be wrong. But that's what I want when I say that I hope they go back to Underground. I love the exotics just as much as the next person.

I really wish they would allow the two devs to alternate styles for the game. Criterion making stuff like MW, HP, etc and have Ghost do something different more akin to Underground.

ascii42

I would. They'd have announced it if it was coming. I thought Most Wanted did OK, but it seems maybe not. That or building a non-FB3 version wasn't feasible.

Do we know if EA is still supporting the Vita? If they don't make a version of FB3 for Vita, that's a bad sign in that regard.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
This isn't Underground 3.
This just sounds like Most Wanted 2...

At least Ghost will do some fucking customizing.

Alex Ward ‏@AlexanderJWard

Was involved with getting #NFSRivals up and running but have not been involved since Fall 2012. Series is in safe hands. Wish them luck!

Nokterian

After that shitty port called The Run on PC i have no hope how it will work on PC. Also Most Wanted was such a mess and Criterion never really fixed it.

VanWinkle

My goodness, exactly. For the past 7 years racing games have all looked equally incredible in these stupid screenshots they put out. I have no idea what to make of this game's visuals.

Top Bottom