• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Deep Down dev report video with new gameplay, beta delayed to 2015

Is it just me or is this one of the best looking next gen titles?
I am pretty shocked how much better it looks. The IQ looks like it improved drastically as well. Is it running native 1080p now?

FiraB

Banned
Dark souls + dragon dogma + diablo + monster hunter mixed with procedural levels and monsters.

Game has potential, ever since I first saw it. Let's hope it delivers something special.

looks great. i want to know more about random dungeons, the shitty futuristic city hub, and wtf Dragon's Dogma 2 is.

hopefully f2p will just be cosmetic.

Wasn't the beta supposed to come out with the Japanese PS4 launch? Yeah, Panta Rhei must be giving them problems. Let's see if they'll do anything with it after this game or if they'll Crystal Tools it.

gut feeling says they're ditching phanta rei so they can release it as multiplatform for Xbox One too.

Phanta Rei is co-develop with SCE Japan isn't it? so they can't make it multiplatform if they use it?

Is it just me or is this one of the best looking next gen titles?
I am pretty shocked how much better it looks. The IQ looks like it improved drastically as well. Is it running native 1080p now?

TGS 2013
iWUhy3WCgXUNq.gif

TGS 2014
ibmi70jFLkJgrX.gif

aMrB9B

Could someone gif the spell portions of the video perhaps? Love the spell effects!! Edit : NM trying out that gifyoutube thing. But of course my work comp won't view it. Checked on my phone and the gifyoutube thing didn't work ... that sucks.

The engine just looks cleaner to me. Not overall better really.

Looks more polished, as it should with another year of work behind it. Really can't wait for this game though. I will download the game when it launches in japan immediately.

How involved are Sony with this games development? I've seen it mentioned that its Sony funded, Sony helped with the engine etc. Just what is true?

this looks awesome. i will gladly spend up to $60 on it if it remains f2p. really excited for this and i agree it's maybe the most impressive game i've seen for "next gen" so far.

How involved are Sony with this games development? I've seen it mentioned that its Sony funded, Sony helped with the engine etc. Just what is true?

The online-only game is a PlayStation 4-exclusive, with SCE Japan Studio engineers assisting development.

SCEJ engineers have helped Capcom make the Phanta Rhei engine. Does this mean all games using that engine will be exclusive to PS4.....I highly doubt it because I'm sure this is Capcom's next gen engine.

Deep Down certainly is though.

this looks awesome. i will gladly spend up to $60 on it if it remains f2p. really excited for this and i agree it's maybe the most impressive game i've seen for "next gen" so far.

Yeah now imagine an engine like this powering a true next-gen Monster Hunter title, or Dragons Dogma ( much more likely then them spending time to model post 2005 MH monsters ). Will be glorious.

The way I saw it, this always felt like Sony giving Capcom a helping hand at the new generation and Capcom giving them an exclusive first title using the engine as the return. This engine will power the next-gen Capcom titles of this ilk and Sony gets a big exclusive game for the assistance with the engine itself.

TGS 2013
iWUhy3WCgXUNq.gif

TGS 2014
ibmi70jFLkJgrX.gif

aMrB9B

Could someone gif the spell portions of the video perhaps? Love the spell effects!! Edit : NM trying out that gifyoutube thing. But of course my work comp won't view it. Checked on my phone and the gifyoutube thing didn't work ... that sucks.

The engine just looks cleaner to me. Not overall better really.

Looks more polished, as it should with another year of work behind it. Really can't wait for this game though. I will download the game when it launches in japan immediately.

Man very nice upgrade. Looks stunning

Game still reminds me so much of RE6's combat for some reason.

I'm curious how it'll turn out, but I'm still skeptical Capcom won't pull some stamina monetization bullshit.
Bit too much chromatic aberration for a medieval fantasy.
Isn't it supposed to be like Assassins Creed though? Some virtual memory shenanigans or something.

ilium

Looks amazing from a graphical standpoint! Except those armor designs. They are really ugly for the most part.
Gameplay also looks rather "meh" to me as well. :/
Especially compared to Bloodborne.

But still has potential i guess...

CREMSteve

Hot damn this is looking great, visually.

I still don't "get it" as a game, though. Futuristic cities, apartments, medieval dungeons and monsters... All wrapped up in a F2P package.

It's confusing as hell.

Hot damn this is looking great, visually.

I still don't "get it" as a game, though. Futuristic cities, apartments, medieval dungeons and monsters... All wrapped up in a F2P package.

It's confusing as hell.

My guess is in the future they have virtual reality, like AssCreed, where you jump into a machine and get whisked away to a time " long since forgotten ". I'm sure there will be some story reason as to why you want to go back to these dungeons, probably to try and find some long lost artifact to save the world or something.

But yeh, virtual reality machines sending you back to ancient dungeons but now with these creatures everywhere.

Something like that lol.

The apartment looks like it may be a spot for you to show off your kills and trophies? I see a hologram of one of the creatures on the table there.

Damerman

Look great. I'm really enjoying the music.
Agreed. That stood out to me the most. Does anyone know how the melee works in this game? i remember demo's with a javelin type weapon where the player can aim for specific limbs. Does anyone know if you can do this with every weapon, or is it the spear like weapon only that gives this ability?

Dag looks so clean. Particle systems are really starting to shine as well with the increased resolution.

I'm loving the player movement, enemy design, and combat so far.
This game could really shape up to be something great.

Sony helped out Capcom to port the engine to PS4. The results are obviously amazing...

The next proper RE game should look amazing

BadWolf

So if this game wasnt F2P and it was a single player experience. Do you think this thread would have gotten 14 pages? I think a lot of people dont care anymore for it when they announced it was F2P.

For sure, people don't have much faith in F2P around here (myself included).

I wish they would just make the f2p version a demo of sorts and release a full-featured retail release. I just hate the notion that this game is being designed with f2p in mind.

SCEJ engineers have helped Capcom make the Phanta Rhei engine. Does this mean all games using that engine will be exclusive to PS4.....I highly doubt it because I'm sure this is Capcom's next gen engine.

Deep Down certainly is though.

Sony also helped with SquareEnix's engines (FFXIII onwards etc) and those games went multiplatform even before release. I hope for Sony's sake that they have an actual contract in place with Capcom. SE allegedly went back on a lot of agreements with Sony.

I have to say, this game looks incredible.

I wish they would just make the f2p version a demo of sorts and release a full-featured retail release. I just hate the notion that this game is being designed with f2p in mind.

My time with Warframe and War Thunder and Puzzle and Dragons and Team Fortress 2 and DOTA 2 and various other F2P games have pretty much erased that sort of worry from my mind.

These days, F2P is just a way for a group to get potentially far more saturation of their product into the market, get their hands into far more hands then it otherwise would and perhaps they can entice the player enough to put some money into the pot. Get enough people enticed and you are golden.

F2P becomes bad in games like Candy Crush. Where you can see the game F'in with you, draining your turns, then making you sit back and wait for however long to play again unless you pay. Then they get you hooked, and make it even harder to keep going by forcing you to get items to continue. I got into Hay Day which is doing the same thing. Reached lv. 20 and now to get a dog house, for example, I have to get these obscure ticket things you rarely ever get just to get a dog for the dog house. Oh but for a buck you can get that dog by purchasing those tickets! lol.

Seems with console games, the F2P aspect is more cosmetic then anything. That or " spend a buck to get X item immediately " like for battle suits in Warframe or spending currency to speed up research or whatever in War Thunder. But gameplay wise, nothing is actually locked down.

Manu

Is this the first time we've seen a game get a major downgrade from its initial reveal, and then a major upgrade later?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
WOW. This looks like UE4 Elemental demo pre-downgrade, except it's an actual game, and it's even probably still running at 60FPS. Amazing stuff.

Oni Jazar

I'd like to say that this is the kind of visual design that I was hoping From would take the Dark Souls games this generation, more-so than Bloodborne. There's a sense of weight and place that brings back feelings of the Demon and Dark 1 games. Bloodborne looks great but not as big a visual leap as something like this. Shame about the Free to Play though. I'd rather a more standard approach.

BadWolf

I'd like to say that this is the kind of visual design that I was hoping From would take the Dark Souls games this generation, more-so than Bloodborne. There's a sense of weight and place that brings back feelings of the Demon and Dark 1 games. Bloodborne looks great but not as big a visual leap as something like this. Shame about the Free to Play though. I'd rather a more standard approach.

Bloodborne has vast open spaces and complex architecture so its understandable that DD can take more liberties with its enclosed smaller areas.

Top Bottom