• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Destiny Gameplay

Bsigg12

The first 20 seconds felt like it was headed towards spoilers, so I closed it. I revisited on your suggestion and it really is just full of great gameplay. Thanks!

No new news on PvP though at this point?

No it doesn't sound like they had any PvP at the preview event and that stuff won't be shown until E3.

MysteryM

Less Borderlands far more Halo as expected, all talk of this being an MMO wasn't accurate. This is classic Bungie as expected, playing to the core that makes its games successful.

Very happy, will keep my pre-order and await it with anticipation.

It's looks too FPS'ish to me.

I liked the playthrough at LAST year's E3 where they took their time, picked up loot, showed off item upgrades and upgrade paths. Worked their way to the boss encounter, who they killed and got lots of loot DIABLO-style.

This movie was just running around shooting at enemies. Boring. You can do that in EVERY game.

Show me the unique MMO-style stuff, please.

i just want a 3rd person option. too many neat looking character models to waste besides skills in 3rd person.

also am i the only one that find space revolvers to be lazy ass scifi design? :p

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Bungie why? I have never been so bored watching a game video. This game is like halo with magic with all the fun sucked out of it. Seriously go watch some halo 3 gameplay and than this...and this is campaign???

This is a strike mission which is just a quick pick up and play, small team combat raid.

ViciousDS

Banned
It's looks too FPS'ish to me.

I liked the playthrough at LAST year's E3 where they took their time, picked up loot, showed off item upgrades and upgrade paths. Worked their way to the boss encounter, who they killed and got lots of loot DIABLO-style.

This movie was just running around shooting at enemies. Boring. You can do that in EVERY game.

Show me the unique MMO-style stuff, please.

market to the shooter base.....open up about RPG elements even more later.........don't worry the time will come my friend.

I don't always post, but when I do I believe in Bungie!

Acheteedo

Still yet to see the supposed "open-world". Looks like a corridor shooter with some open-ish areas like Halo.

So it's a borderlands style Halo game without an open-world? That's still day 1 for me, but I must admit was hoping for something impressive in a next-gen sense.

Aaron

Didn't look all that Halo to me. Enemies were just fodder that mostly stood there and took it. The dynamic nature of Halo firefights have been replaced with flashy Borderlands style special abilities.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Kotaku thinks it's boring.

I would agree from what I have seen so far. In the past with Halo games trailers like this would make the hair on my neck stand up and I would get chills. This really left me with a "is that it" feeling. At this point I have the same feeling as this article.

iMax

LANCE!

crop-lance.jpg

Kiant

Ahem taken from Eurogamer 21 mins ago

Surely it wouldn't take much time or effort for Bungie to release a PC version, then?

"The truth is it's not that simple," design lead Lars Bakken told Eurogamer during a recent studio tour.

"I wish it was that simple. It's pretty complicated. That doesn't mean it can't happen in the future, it just means it won't happen right now."

bidguy

Banned
looks pretty boring

release the damn beta already so we can make up our own minds about it

so far it seems like a pretty borderlands which is not a bad thing

Lance Reddick into my veins.

Love that guys voice. Set the tone perfectly imo. Actually set the tone more than the gamplay imo.

While I expect the gameplay to be fun (and probably similar to Halo's) I'm going to be playing Destiny because of the backstory and characters/races just as much as the gameplay.

Can't wait to play it at E3.

Asiriya

Neo Member
Seriously? People are excited to play Half Life 2 again - except with a bullet sponge character that revives on the spot? I thought Bungie were meant to be innovative..?

I almost thought it was going to leap into some Gunz korean-style melee combat at one point which would have at least been different, but that never happened.

Would have thought that there would be something interesting, not stale run and gun with cheese electric instakills.

Looks like a classic Bungie title, I would imagine if people think this game is boring they must of thought Reach and Halo 3 were boring as well.

TCKaos

It was nice looking but they were just sort-of out in the open getting shot the whole time.

I want to know what it's like when people who are good at the game play through a difficult mission. If that's what this was then I'm not interested anymore.

Looks like Halo x Borderlands and guess what.. that's fucking awesome.

not sure what you people expected. This video was showing off a Strike gameplay mode. Think rifts in Diablo 3.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
You guys should really read the Eurogamer preview
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-04-28-getting-to-play-destiny-better-than-halo

Some different footage in the video as well.
I am relieved because I was worried, which is partly my fault and partly Bungie's, I think. 14 months ago I travelled to the Bellevue-based studio so excited to see it finally unveil its new game and left disappointed that it hadn't really unveiled anything. There's been a lot of talk since. I've heard Activision Publishing boss Eric Hirshberg preach the way of the "shared world shooter". I've heard whispers of progression, murmurings about always-online, seamless co-operative play, magic matchmaking and the promise of competitive multiplayer and a single-player campaign up there with the best Halo had to offer.

But the mystery was in how this would all tie together. The excitement was in wondering how Destiny would keep you coming back for more even after scores of hours of play, in a way that other shooters before now haven't. Bungie has for a year been vague in explaining all of this, which I interpreted as evasiveness, and as a problem. It turns out this was just Bungie being Bungie, those cryptic cads. Amid the concern I took my eye off the ball. I forgot to wonder about the core: how does Destiny play? It turns out, Destiny plays like Halo. And that's wicked.

A Strike is designed to offer a fireteam around 30 minutes of arcade-style shooter action, with one or two mini-bosses to contend with before a tougher boss fight at the finish. Ours is set in Russia - or at least in what was Russia before a four-armed spider pirate alien race called The Fallen arrived and made themselves comfortable. We're travelling to the ruins of the Cosmodrome, a post-apocalyptic cacophony of twisted metal, burnt out cars, gutted installations and colony ships that, an age ago, failed to launch. The land is a miasma of snow, barbecue dirt and rust. The sun is high in the sky, casting real-time shadows onto the stillness. Later, when my fireteam come back to this place for another run, it is night. For my two fellow Guardians and I, Old Russia is where humanity's fightback begins and our search for epic loot starts.

The hunt for better and better loot will keep me going for months, but Destiny's emergent massively multiplayer gameplay is what will keep me playing for years. Take on a random public quest, for example, and perhaps you quickly realise you're in over your head. Then, over the hill comes another Guardian, a white knight to save you from certain death. You're saved. You wave. You group up, summon your Sparrow then speed off towards some loot-packed adventure over the next hill, the sun setting on the ruins of the Cosmodrome. Or the Moon. Or Venus. Or maybe Mars. Destiny's greatness will lie in how well it sows the best of World of Warcraft and the best of Halo into a seamless virtual fabric. I'm still waiting to find out if Bungie has successfully threaded the best of Blizzard's MMO, but I'm certain it's successfully threaded the best of Halo.

Destiny is Halo evolved, and it's a natural evolution, given the way gaming has gone in the 13 years since the release of the first game in the series. Playing Destiny now, the underrated Halo 3: ODST all of a sudden makes much more sense. I see Destiny as lots of New Mombasas, each fleshed out and given their own identity, that combine to form a mythic science fiction world in which all roads lead back to The Tower.

dralla

The music is great but aside from that, the video is underwhelming. Graphically it looks mediocre (for PS4) at best, the AI doesn't look as good I was expecting, and the animations and weapon feedback still look poor. This game sounds amazing on paper and I'm still excited to play it but I can't say I've been impressed with what they've actually shown so far.

cormack12

Gold Member
Reminds me of Warframe crossed with Borderlands. Not really feeling it for this, but I want to :s

Was going to probably be my last FPS type game as well. Not really sure it's done enough to warrant that from what I've seen. Will still keep tabs on it though, see how it goes....

_woLf

Looks like a classic Bungie title, I would imagine if people think this game is boring they must of thought Reach and Halo 3 were boring as well.

This isn't really true at all. Two completely different styles of games.

I really wish they'd show off PvP. That's my favorite part of Bungie games, so it seems odd to not show it off.

Top Bottom