• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New DKC: Tropical Freeze Info (1080p confirmed, Soundtrack 100% David Wise)

Sagitario

Bouncing on enemies in DKCR was extremely satisfying thanks to the sound effects and feel/rhythm of the jumping/rolling mechanics.
I fucking loved the roll and pounding motion controls.
There were a couple of problems with the bouncing mechanic and doing multiple consecutive [high] jumps off of enemies:
- The timing. It was different from any other platformer before it, which is odd since it's almost a standard feature/mechanic that shouldn't require that much trouble or such a steep learning curve. Way too strict IMO.
- It was never explained in-game and you had to learn the hard way in the temple levels. You could finish the game (regular, not-secret stages) without ever needing it.
- Diddy Kong. Consistency should come first. If you had Diddy with you, doing a high jump was almost a luck issue, hoping for the best while trying to not activate Diddy's jetpack. That shouldn't happen,

I really hope Retro fixed the high jump/bouncing timing for Tropical Freeze, making it less strict and therefore, more fun to perform (just take Mario Galaxy and 3D World as examples of how to properly do the bouncing).

There were a couple of problems with the bouncing mechanic and doing multiple consecutive [high] jumps off of enemies:
- The timing. It was different from any other platformer before it, which is odd since it's almost a standard feature/mechanic that shouldn't require that much trouble or such a steep learning curve. Way too strict IMO.
- It was never explained in-game and you had to learn the hard way in the temple levels. You could finish the game (regular, not-secret stages) without ever needing it.
- Diddy Kong. Consistency should come first. If you had Diddy with you, doing a high jump was almost a luck issue, hoping for the best while trying to not activate Diddy's jetpack. That shouldn't happen,

I really hope Retro fixed the high jump/bouncing timing for Tropical Freeze, making it less strict and therefore, more fun to perform (just take Mario Galaxy and 3D World as examples of how to properly do the bouncing).

Actually it was extremely lenient and simple. You just had to press and hold the jump again sometime before touching the enemy. You could literally hold it down a second before touching the enemy and you would get your high jump. I agree they should have explained it though.

Sagitario

Actually it was extremely lenient and simple. You just had to press and hold the jump again sometime before touching the enemy. You could literally hold it down a second before touching the enemy and you would get your high jump. I agree they should have explained it though.
It wasn't that lenient, but once you got the hang on the timing/rhythm, it certainly becomes much easier to perform. The point is: people shouldn't be having problems performing such a basic function on a platformer. For example, in SM3DW, you know the consecutive high jumps will work 100% of the time. It's an issue plenty of people had with DKCR, one that could be easily fixable.
And then there is Diddy's jetpack.
The waggle to roll move didn't bother me at all, but the lack of jumping consistency and odd/strict timing did.

You could finish the game (regular, not-secret stages) without ever needing it.

You can't. I'm replaying the game right now and there are several instances in which you need the high bounce. The minecart level in world 6, the final level in world 8, and many other earlier instances which I don't recall off the top of my head. Even though the game never explicitly tells you about the mechanic, there are a lot of hints; for example, placing collectibles high up out of reach right near an enemy. Especially true in minecart levels when you're forced to jump on incoming rows of enemies.

It wasn't that lenient.

I'm sorry but it was. Like they've said to you, you just had to press and hold the jump again sometime before touching the enemy. That's all. It's probably the platforming game with the easiest way to do high jumps. There's no timing at all.

I just recently finished DKCR after having the game shelved for almost over a year.

the last boss was a b...

good feeling. now i cant wait for tropical freeze

daripad

It wasn't that lenient, but once you got the hang on the timing/rhythm, it certainly becomes much easier to perform. The point is: people shouldn't be having problems performing such a basic function on a platformer. For example, in SM3DW, you know the consecutive high jumps will work 100% of the time. It's an issue plenty of people had with DKCR, one that could be easily fixable.
And then there is Diddy's jetpack.
The waggle to roll move didn't bother me at all, but the lack of jumping consistency and odd/strict timing did.

What? DKCR bounce was the easiest thing to do, there was one of the temple levels that needed it and it was very easy to complete because the bounce mechanic is easy to perform.

Also why woud the game explain that to you? Not even Mario explicitly says that you can do a high jump, it just comes naturally with the level design and some trial and error. And 3D World has a more unforgiving timing for that, I barely get to do it.

rjc571

Banned
I'm sorry but it was. Like they've said to you, you just had to press and hold the jump again sometime before touching the enemy. That's all. It's probably the platforming game with the easiest way to do high jumps. There's no timing at all.

The problem with this is that if you have Diddy, holding 'A' causes you to hover, which throws the timing of your jump completely off. The only way to get around this if you want to perform a high jump with Diddy (without having to use up your entire hover before landing on the enemy) is to press 'A' at the very last second, which requires strict timing.

scitek

I just recently finished DKCR after having the game shelved for almost over a year.

the last boss was a b...

good feeling. now i cant wait for tropical freeze

Just so you know, the guy responsible for the bosses in the first game is no longer with Retro.

Just so you know, the guy responsible for the bosses in the first game is no longer with Retro.

well it was a hard boss but the bosses werent really the stand outs of the game.
i actually thought the last boss was too much of a rip off of master hand or the hand boss of kirby

The problem with this is that if you have Diddy, holding 'A' causes you to hover, which throws the timing of your jump completely off. The only way to get around this if you want to perform a high jump with Diddy (without having to use up your entire hover before landing on the enemy) is to press 'A' at the very last second, which requires strict timing.

I think this fact introduces a sort of balance to avoid the player to become over powered. This was also especially needed in two player mode, and this works about well, even if I'm still not too fond of the way they thought 2p mode.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
rumour has it there are three secret levels per world, thus making the total number 60 or so (not counting special worlds if there's any)... will be more detailed when ONM 104 comes out this wed

rumour has it there are three secret levels per world, thus making the total number 60 or so (not counting special worlds if there's any)... will be more detailed when ONM 104 comes out this wed
Oh? Where'd you hear this from?

Also have a feeling there'll be a direct coming soon which reveals some more stuff; didn't realize until Rawk pointed it out that we've never gotten a proper, long and hard look at the underwater stages yet. Hoping that's due to at least Enguarde (and Rambi/Squawks for land levels) returning for one last Animal Buddy-related trailer.

Also have a feeling there'll be a direct coming soon which reveals some more stuff; didn't realize until Rawk pointed it out that we've never gotten a proper, long and hard look at the underwater stages yet. Hoping that's due to at least Enguarde (and Rambi/Squawks for land levels) returning for one last Animal Buddy-related trailer.

What's good about Retro when it came to their first Donkey Kong is that while they released plenty of footage(I watched everything), it was such a small sample of what was in the actual game.

I hope that's the case this time around.

For Super Mario 3D World, I watched all the videos and basically had seen almost everything in the game by the time I played it.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

some bloke in the Nintendolife forums spilled the bean

What's good about Retro when it came to their first Donkey Kong is that while they released plenty of footage(I watched everything), it was such a small sample of what was in the actual game.

I hope that's the case this time around.

For Super Mario 3D World, I watched all the videos and basically had seen almost everything in the game by the time I played it.

I dunno... I thought they spoiled some of DKCR's best moments... The later silhouette levels, the minecart egg ride, the bug chase scene... But there was still a ton they didn't show. I've learned my lesson from spoiling games though. I only saw the first trailer and E3 footage of 3D World, so my first playthrough was absolutely amazing. I've been on blackout on Tropical Freeze for a while now too.

oh snap, you're correct

man, cant wait for tomorrow, hopefully there's more than six islands, a bit underwhelmed if not

The info has already leaked, there is a new thread here about it somewhere. Nothing said about a secret world, but apparently there are 3 secret levels on each island.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
I've heard the last ONM brings a new Retro Studios interview and a final preview of Tropical Freeze. Anybody knows something about that?

It's most likely another interview with Nintendo SPD Production Group No.3. They've been doing all the interviews for the game.

L~A

Was this guy ever confirmed? Because he is now :p

BebxXQ_CMAEWJcV.jpg:large

Not sure if thread-worthy, so here it is.

Neiteio

If there's a whole world based on water mechanics surely there'll be the swordfish this time, too.
Nintendo confirmed today that Rambi is the only animal buddy you can ride. See the latest coverage at Destructoid, Nintendo World Report, GameXplain, etc.

Top Bottom