• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New DKC: Tropical Freeze Info (1080p confirmed, Soundtrack 100% David Wise)

Is there any indication they will remove the Time Trial mode or (DKCR spoilers)
Mirror Mode
?

Not really, it's just that they haven't talked about it yet in any Nintendo Direct, whis is weird. And the fact that not many people seemed to enjoy it in Returns.

JimboJones

Not really, it's just that they haven't talked about it yet in any Nintendo Direct, whis is weird. And the fact that not many people seemed to enjoy it in Returns.

Probably because it took ages to restart a time trial, they need to make restarting near instant.

maxcriden

Okay, cool. Well, I guess I don't know. I'm hoping it will still be in. It was disappointing in Rayman Legends for example to not have the Time Trial mode that was available in Origins. I didn't feel like Invasion mode was as fun as a substitute for it. Hopefully Time Trials and the other mentioned mode will still be in DKC: TF, I'm not sure why they'd take them out unless they have something better available to replace them with. (Also, similar to what JimboJones said above, I think they really should just restart the whole level when you die in a Time Trial.)

I agree with both, dying should reset the time counter in time trial yet in Returns. It was unforgiveable not to correct that for the 3D port.

Anyway I think Time Trial Mode from DKCR was one of the greatests features of the game

I don't think time trial is going anywhere. That's the kind of thing Miiverse is totally for! (Also, it'll be awesome to see which partner Kongs can get through sections most efficiently.)

The biggest complaint I heard about Returns' time trial mode was how much it relied on constant rolling (thus waggle) to get the best times, and that's no longer an issue. Fix the timer not resetting when you die and it'll be pretty much flawless.

Maybe but that's just the first level. The rest of levels that have been fully shown (Cannon Canyons, High Tigh Ride, Trunk Twister, Jelly Jamboree, Aqueduct Assault, Alpine Incline, Scorch & Torch and Homecoming Hijinx) are just as long as standard DKCR levels, so I would not expect the classic "less levels but longer" this time.

Some of those still seemed pretty damn long to me, but bad demo players will always make levels seem longer I guess.

I still think the "Northern Seas" will be the Lost World or even the true final world. It's the origin of the Snowmads and was mentioned in the game's reveal, so I'd be surprised if we didn't get a look at it. Hell, we've already seen more of the supposed "final world" than we had of DKCR's Volcano in the same time frame, so it really makes me wonder...

Mlatador

Banned
I don't think time trial is going anywhere. That's the kind of thing Miiverse is totally for! (Also, it'll be awesome to see which partner Kongs can get through sections most efficiently.)

The biggest complaint I heard about Returns' time trial mode was how much it relied on constant rolling (thus waggle) to get the best times, and that's no longer an issue. Fix the timer not resetting when you die and it'll be pretty much flawless.

Rolling will still be the most important factor in time trials. And as somebody who tried a couple of time trials in DKC:R 3DS (since a friend asked me to beat his times), I can safely say, many avid time trialers will STILL use waggle to roll to get the best times. Why? Because it's faster. It was actually annoying using buttons to jump and roll, so that I felt it was just supbar to waggle to roll.
That friend said the same. We both came to the conclusion, since waggle to roll is more of a fluid motion compared to pressing button x and y after another, you can execute/"launch" the much needed long roll jumps simply faster and better.

Yeah, that sounds believable. Waggling means your thumb never leaves the A button, so there's absolutely nothing limiting when you can jump. Having to use another face button to roll, though...yeah, your ability to accurately jump is inhibited.

I was thinking more about the less hardcore people, though. A lot of peeps just get wrist strain after a world of doing that, so it's nice to see an alternative. (Even if it'll never result in the best times.)

jmls1121

Banned
Really excited for this game, and the David Wise soundtrack in particular. come February, I will be itching for a great platformer.

Maybe but that's just the first level. The rest of levels that have been fully shown (Cannon Canyons, High Tigh Ride, Trunk Twister, Jelly Jamboree, Aqueduct Assault, Alpine Incline, Scorch & Torch and Homecoming Hijinx) are just as long as standard DKCR levels, so I would not expect the classic "less levels but longer" this time.

I would feel highly dissapointed if TF really has a smaller number of levels than Returns; conservative sequels should offer "more of the same" and never "less of the same". Anyway, I think there will be a whole unlockable world unlocked by completing the temple levels (which have been already confirmed) more like in the 3D remake of Returns, instead of just one unlockable level like in the Wii version.

Still with that, Tropical Freeze would only have 7 worlds against the 8 worlds of Returns. Maybe there is a seventh island homeworld of the vikings after the frozen DK Island (in addition to the unlockable lost world, which would make 8 in total), but I don't know.

I also have fear for the Time Trial mode. Sure I will be mad if they remove that too, because that great mode added more than a hundred of hours of gameplay to Returns.

I doubt it'll be shorter.

It seems to be an ongoing trend that Nintendo platformers have more and more post-game content. 3D Land and 3D World both were chock-full of it, and we didn't know about it up until release. Reminds me of the '3D World is only 8 hours long' thread.

I'm really hoping there is a world we havn't seen. I really loved the diverse locations of DKC2 with the carnival, castle, and haunted worlds.

Let's not forget Retro has had over 3 years on this.

Mlatador

Banned
Yeah, that sounds believable. Waggling means your thumb never leaves the A button, so there's absolutely nothing limiting when you can jump. Having to use another face button to roll, though...yeah, your ability to accurately jump is inhibited.

Exactly!

I was thinking more about the less hardcore people, though. A lot of peeps just get wrist strain after a world of doing that, so it's nice to see an alternative. (Even if it'll never result in the best times.)

Thanks to Retro, now be have BOTH options, so that everyone can be happy!

Rawkhawk and Prince of Koopas both banned. Can't wait until the koopatv website's updated with a blog post likening GAF's moderation to a neoMarxist state renouncing the ideologies of the bourgeois and essentially working as a microcosm of the continuing liberal agenda against America.

On topic, really excited about David Wise hopefully back in form.

Mlatador

Banned
Rawkhawk and Prince of Koopas both banned. Can't wait until the koopatv website's updated with a blog post likening GAF's moderation to a neoMarxist state promoting the ideologies of the bourgeois and essentially working as a microcosm of the continuing liberal agenda against America.

On topic, really excited about David Wise hopefully back in form.

What? What did he do? :( He's a quality poster and a great DK fan. Pretty sad to hear. Hopefully he comes back before 21. February.

ohlawd

What? What did he do? :( He's a quality poster and a great DK fan. Pretty sad to hear. Hopefully he comes back before 21. February.

Read pages 3-4 of this thread (you better be on 100 ppp). I caught up with this thread just a few hours ago; shit is WACK.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
From RawkHawk's Twitter

4uVRMvj.png

And that's the last thing I will say about this subject. I kind of felt bad about initially derailing the thread but... it was just way too insane.

There was over 3 years between DKCR and DKC: Tropical Freeze =/= They worked on it over 3 years. There was the same gap between Corruption and Returns and development on Returns was 2.5 years.

I find it hard to imagine a scenario where Tropical Freeze is much shorter, or shorter at all, than Returns. I know they've announced 6 islands or whatever and people have estimated based on levels per island, but that's a bit reaching to come to a conclusion it'll be far shorter. Certainly nothing to worry about.

jehuty

In that other thread they were talking about how the Dkc super nes games had a darker vibe to them (which is kind of true). Whilst playing 3d world on the WiiU I re-stumbled upon world 4-2. I immediately thought how that world captured the dark mood that the super nes donkey kong games had (especially Diddy Kongs quest). There are actually a couple levels in 3d world that have a darker vibe to them would is more reminiscent of Dkc than Mario games. I hope retro also pays attention and brings back that vibe.

I do wonder, would a donkey kong game in the vein of 3d world work?

collige

Banned
There was over 3 years between DKCR and DKC: Tropical Freeze =/= They worked on it over 3 years. There was the same gap between Corruption and Returns and development on Returns was 2.5 years.

They worked on the Trilogy re-release between Corruption and Returns, something that did not happen between Return and Freeze.

Okay, someone seriously answer me this:
Why the fuck do we care if this is pushing the Wii U or not?
This isn't a realistic looking game, so its going to look great either way, and do you guys realize what "pushing it" means? When you push a system, it pushes back. You get 720p(or worse) and 30fps(or worse). That's what pushing it is.
And what else do you want it to do? Friggin tressfx fur and sunlight bloom until you can't see anything?

They worked on Mario Kart 7 between Return and Freeze.

A game I can't confuse with it's last gen predecessor when I glance over screens.
And 1080p doesn't do that for you?
Just tell me what you'd change on it. Better models? Textures? Lighting? It all looks good. The fact that you say that just speaks strongly for the art style, that it could look that good on the Wii at 480p.

And 1080p doesn't do that for you?
Just tell me what you'd change on it. Better models? Textures? Lighting? It all looks good. The fact that you say that just speaks strongly for the art style, that it could look that good on the Wii at 480p.

Sure, all of it. Or a different kind of (DK) game to begin with. I've seen Freeze trailers on the eshop and Returns through WiiU BC and there's hardly any difference, outside of the fur effect which is barely noticeable in stages anyway. Mario Kart 8 looks like what I've expected when I gave Nintendo 300 fucking bucks for proper HD projects in the future, the differences are crystal clear even though MK7 already looked great on the 3DS. Can't say the same for this one. I guess it's also problematic that it's nature really is more in the vein of an expansion pack to begin with. Oh look, silhouette stages... again. Annoying rocket stage gaps... again. Hardly different bonus rooms, including the identical victory animation from Returns afterwards. If there's so little new gameplay, I'd at least expect a fullfledged generational leap in graphics. Preferably both of course, but this game does the minimum on both fronts.

daripad

I never 110 %ed Returns but I still want this to.be more difficult than its predecessor. I can't wait for using more side chatacters this time, Cranky plays very good. I love the artstyle so I'm hypes for this. I'm just worried about the amount of levels but the game will be replayable and cost less so why not? And surely there must be hidden content just like in any platformer game, I hope it is juicy like the 3D World extra levels

Coolwhip

Banned
A question for you guys.

An addition in DKCR 2 is apparantly filling up a meter with bananas so you can use a special move (which makes both characters highfive close up). Depending on the character, all enemies on screen turn into balloons, coins whatever.

Anyone else think that's incredibly lame? Was that the best thing they could come up with? That has to be to most boring special move in a videogame ever.

A question for you guys.

An addition in DKCR 2 is apparantly filling up a meter with bananas so you can use a special move (which makes both characters highfive close up). Depending on the character, all enemies on screen turn into balloons, coins whatever.

Anyone else think that's incredibly lame? Was that the best thing they could come up with? That has to be to most boring special move in a videogame ever.
Super lame, yes. I think Im gonna do my best to safely ignore that shit forever

A question for you guys.

Could have its work in time trials, though.

Kong Pow comes across like it exists for the same reason an easy mode exists which is to say its another crutch for people who find the normal difficulty a bit too much by both clearing out tricky enemy formations and then showering the player with items for it on top of that, I don't see why any platformer like this would need a kill all enemies move (especially when bouncing across enemies can be integral to progression) and I would happily go without. Of all this games new additions it's by far the least interesting.
That said there ain't nothing wrong with the actual fist bump that brings about spontaneous enemy combustion, that's the one thing that validates the moves entire existence. I feel better about Kong Pow by recalling that monitor thing in Sonic 4 Episode 2 where you mashed jump for like 10 seconds at pre determined points to eliminate the terrifying 3 enemies around you earning points used for nothing, by comparison Kong Pow looks acceptable.

I would Kong Pow the shit out of Windy Well in DKC2 if I could

Kong Pow comes across like it exists for the same reason an easy mode exists which is to say its another crutch for people who find the normal difficulty a bit too much by both clearing out tricky enemy formations and then showering the player with items for it on top of that, I don't see why any platformer like this would need a kill all enemies move (especially when bouncing across enemies can be integral to progression) and I would happily go without. Of all this games new additions it's by far the least interesting.
That said there ain't nothing wrong with the actual fist bump that brings about spontaneous enemy combustion, that's the one thing that validates the moves entire existence. I feel better about Kong Pow by recalling that monitor thing in Sonic 4 Episode 2 where you mashed jump for like 10 seconds at pre determined points to eliminate the terrifying 3 enemies around you earning points used for nothing, by comparison Kong Pow looks acceptable.

I would Kong Pow the shit out of Windy Well in DKC2 if I could

Pretty much. I don't mind that they are adding these crutches if it gives them an excuse to make the game more challenging. I doubt I will use it... Bouncing on enemies in DKCR was extremely satisfying thanks to the sound effects and feel/rhythm of the jumping/rolling mechanics.
I fucking loved the roll and pounding motion controls.

Andrew.

Banned
The most exciting thing Im looking forward to about this game is that I wont have to shake/waggle the damn controller to roll. That killed DKCR for me almost instantly.

Pretty much. I don't mind that they are adding these crutches if it gives them an excuse to make the game more challenging. I doubt I will use it... Bouncing on enemies in DKCR was extremely satisfying thanks to the sound effects and feel/rhythm of the jumping/rolling mechanics.
I fucking loved the roll and pounding motion controls.

YESS, I quote this post
spoiler included!
! The bounce-on-enemy sound effect alone justify the need of a subwoofer... dat chest blow!

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Kong Pow comes across like it exists for the same reason an easy mode exists which is to say its another crutch for people who find the normal difficulty a bit too much by both clearing out tricky enemy formations and then showering the player with items for it

this, I think they also said this in an interview

I've heard the last ONM brings a new Retro Studios interview and a final preview of Tropical Freeze. Anybody knows something about that?

Top Bottom