• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New DKC: Tropical Freeze Info (1080p confirmed, Soundtrack 100% David Wise)

This doesn't look otherworldly. It looks on par with DKCR on Dolphin or something like that. Still looks good.

The only thing I don't like is how they haven't confirmed hot swap and also Nintendo seems to have this weird possessive thing so Donkey has to be on the screen at all times. Fuck youuuuuuuu.

Also, dat David Wise.

-PXG-

If Retro does do a third game, I want the pirate Kremlings to come back. Shit loads of new ones too. DK, Diddy, Dixie and Cranky all playable as the primary character too.

Nintendo REALLY needs to advertise that this thing is for Wii U - a console that isn't the Wii, because it has the same convincing factor of NSMB2 at this point...

CrisKre

Returns:

HES-BACK.jpg

Tropical Freeze:

donkey-kong-country-tropical-freeze-3.jpg

...not really a huge difference at all.

that is a really misguided comparison. The iq and detail in the crafting of tf is miles ahead of returns, especially in things like the fur and modeling of the levels. The pictures you posted show none of that due to awful compression.

The game is a sight to behold in person, and much much improved over returns.

Amir0x

Banned
Did you play DKCR on the 3DS? No shake to roll was glorious.

Every time I watch a DKCTF trailer The theme gets stuck in my head. Sooo goood.

Nah I definitely couldn't justify paying money twice for Donkey Kong. But I did try out a modded Donkey Kong Country Returns for Wii with shake to roll modded out, and it was indeed a big improvement. Not quite enough to overcome my overall issues with the game, but enough to turn it into a game I'd start to rank in my platformer list. The improvements Tropical Freeze seem to make suggest I may legit like this one, but I will wait and see.

Elixist

I will be buying this, looks fun and pretty, but I think it still looks a little too much of an expansion pack. From one of Nintys best studios I kinda expect bigger things, hopefully they've had somethin new brewin in the pot for awhile.

Gamexplain probably asked some Nintendo rep and they always seem to say 1080p,. The game was definitely 720p at E3 so being 1080p now would be weird.

Anyway the lack of music I've heard from this game is so disappointing. I need more!

Amir0x

Banned
Gamexplain probably asked some Nintendo rep and they always seem to say 1080p,. The game was definitely 720p at E3 so being 1080p now would be weird.

Anyway the lack of music I've heard from this game is so disappointing. I need more!

hm, is this so? That'd really be disappointed. DKCTF is not a real looker imo. Isn't Trine 2 1080p on Wii U? I never played that on Wii U, I just thought I read it.

Griss

It's such a bizarre experience to wish that they had made something else while simultaneously believing that anything else they made would almost certainly not have been as good as this.

Talk about cognitive dissonance! If I've managed to pick up a WiiU by the time this game comes out I'll buy it at a high price.

Is anyone else impressed with the production values for the opening scene(for a DKCR game)? Its leagues ahead of the opening scene for NSMBU. Retro really put the effort into this one.

If they put a nice advertisement campaign behind this, it could definitely move some systems.

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY_Gl_9sK3U

Found the intro video that shows a little more footage than in the direct.

Crisium

I am so pleased. DKCR at 1080 on Dolphin is amazing. I am glad we won't get a visual downgrade. It fact, it looks even better. Huzzah.

I'm liking what I hear so far out of David Wise (from the few music tracks seen in trailers such far). I don't want any remixes, I want all new. DKC had one on of the best soundtracks on the SNES, and then DKC2 came a year later and was even better - and with all new tracks. Show us your magic again!

Roo

DKCR on Dolphin:

DKCTF 1080p screen:

Looks very much the same, but still great. However the screen from Tropical Freeze may be a 720p screen re-sized to 1080p, it looks a bit blurry up close unlike DKCR on Dolphin.

DKCR has some AA going on so it is still unfair.

Game looks great visually, and gameplay wise in these offscreen level playthrough vids gamexplain uploaded, particularly the beautiful Savannah wildfire level.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLnRhYF4yfs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm2IVepEj48

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX6c8dTxKyY

I played those videos without watching to try and hear music, but I'm staying far far away from more gameplay, especially full level playthroughs. Glad to hear it is shaping up nicely though.

wow this game looks better day by day... another mario 3d world situation incomming (i.e. getting shat on by the community but actually being great)?

Rich!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzF79H23By8

This was definitely my favorite track from DKCR. I wouldn't mind remixes.

I personally feel that getting Wise to do remixes is an absolutely horrendous waste of his time and a waste of possibilities.

Wise hasn't done a full soundtrack for Donkey Kong since 1995 (apart from DKC3GBA). That's 18 years. How fucking disappointing would it be if half of the new soundtrack was DKC2 remixes?! It would be terrible.

DKC2's soundtrack is a masterpiece as it is. Leave. It. Alone.

Graphically this game looks like Returns running on Dolphin with better fur. That is a very good thing. Returns was a beautiful game let down by underwhelming hardware.

VanWinkle

Man, I wish the thread title didn't say "1080p confirmed" because I don't take word from a random rep as confirmation, but the thread post doesn't say that it was word from a rep, so a lot of people here, even in this very page, are taking it as gospel. I'm way MORE certain that it's NOT 1080p than I am that it is.

DKCR on Dolphin:

DKCTF 1080p screen:

Looks very much the same, but still great. However the screen from Tropical Freeze may be a 720p screen re-sized to 1080p, it looks a bit blurry up close unlike DKCR on Dolphin.

Yup, this shows how similar they are. Pretty much the exact same engine where the only improvement seemingly is the fur shaders.

I personally feel that getting Wise to do remixes is an absolutely horrendous waste of his time and a waste of possibilities.

Wise hasn't done a full soundtrack for Donkey Kong since 1995 (apart from DKC3GBA). That's 18 years. How fucking disappointing would it be if half of the new soundtrack was DKC2 remixes?! It would be terrible.

DKC2's soundtrack is a masterpiece as it is. Leave. It. Alone.

I didn't say I want half the tracks to be remixes, but no I wouldn't mind 2-3 awesome remixes somewhere in the game. Oh and I haven't said it before but that fire level looks beautiful

Top Bottom