• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New DKC: Tropical Freeze Info (1080p confirmed, Soundtrack 100% David Wise)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Did Nintendo release shitty screenshots in the official press package or something? Because all the official 1080p media still looks blurry and compressed. I wanna see the sharpness!

1080p confirmed, Soundtrack 100% Motherfuckin' David Wise

vkZX9Ip.gif

I said damn!!

Powerwing

Do we have 1080p materials when games are 1080p (zelda wwhd for example) because ,correct me if i'm wrong, screenshots taken with wii u are only 720p.

It is hard, but it does look sharp enough even with YouTube's compression to appear as if it came from a native 1080p source, as opposed to a 720p source upscaled.

Well Nintendo does try to keep a good track record in regards to the resolution and frame rate of their games. They modified the NSMBU one for example on their website

Murrah

Banned
As pumped as I am for the actual game, that Wise soundtrack's got me absolutely frothing. From what I could hear of the music in the IGN video it reminded me of DKC2's castle theme. Need it now

jett

D-Member
Did Nintendo release shitty screenshots in the official press package or something? Because all the official 1080p media still looks blurry and compressed. I wanna see the sharpness!

Then the 1080p info is bollocks because the new screens are clearly 720p upscaled to 1080p.

Kandinsky

Looking at the graphics and sizing up this new information, I can only conclude that the Retro underestimated the capabilities of the Wii U. That or they didn't have the time to properly do R&D on the hardware.

100% David Wise is just awesome. The interns that worked on the first game are hopefully working where no one will give a fuck.
I'd like to believe Retro interns are actually working in this bland looking game and the awesome more capable guys are working hard on Metroid Prime 4.

:p

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Then the 1080p info is bollocks because the new screens are clearly 720p upscaled to 1080p.

Yeah, see, that's what I was thinking. I'm usually okay at telling native vs. upscale. The YouTube vid at 1080p looks sharp enough for native 1080p, but the screenshots do not, even taking into account compression.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Currently my most anticipated game of 2014. Can't wait!

Metal-Geo

I hope it also features some depressive tunes like the SNES DKCs had.

Aquatic Ambience
Stickerbush Symphony
Forest Interlude

Classics. I still hear them to chill out nowadays.
Well I wouldn't call them depressive, but they're definitely very soothing and beautiful.

As much as I'm a huge fan of the SNES DKC games' soundtracks, I haven't really been impressed with Wise's music in Tropical Freeze so far. While I'll definitely keep my hopes up for music as beautiful as the original DKCs' to be present in the game. But so far from gameplay videos and trailers, I haven't heard any. :(

This game will look absolutely amazing on 1080p though! The environments in DKCR were the biggest star in the game.

This is the game I'm looking forward to the most right now. What we've seen in the trailers looks great, and the music sounds good too!

Also, I still like saying "Tropical Freeze". It's a fun subtitle.

Instro

Looking at the graphics and sizing up this new information, I can only conclude that the Retro underestimated the capabilities of the Wii U. That or they didn't have the time to properly do R&D on the hardware.

100% David Wise is just awesome. The interns that worked on the first game are hopefully working where no one will give a fuck.

I'm more inclined to think that development on this game began fairly quickly after dkcr released and that this game is based on an upgraded version of their Wii engine.

Gigglepoo

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/wrestling-with-donkey-kong-country-tropical-freeze/1100-6416779/

Watch them get Tom McShea to review the game even though this preview shows how biased he is. It's okay for Retro to make three Metroid Prime games in a row but not okay for them to make a sequel to a game that outsold the entire Metroid Prime trilogy combined? Bullshit.

Not really sure what I'm biased again. I clearly had a blast playing Tropical Jungle, I just think Retro's time could be better spent elsewhere. I still think of them as one of the best developers around, so an expected sequel feels beneath them. That doesn't diminish how fun this game is, though.

I was curious about the music, but don't want to spoil the levels. Checking out the IGN vids, the tune in Homecoming Hijinx sounds excellent. The one in Bramble Scramble I'm pretty sure is the same one in Cannon Canyons, which is the barrel blasting level from E3.

Not really sure what I'm biased again. I clearly had a blast playing Tropical Jungle, I just think Retro's time could be better spent elsewhere. I still think of them as one of the best developers around, so an expected sequel feels beneath them. That doesn't diminish how fun this game is, though.

they've did two expected sequels already, tho

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Yeah I never believe "1080p" stuff for Wii U until it is in the hands of people who know what they're talking about.

I feel like the game should be 1080p given the visuals. It's not very impressive (not bad looking, I just don't think it's pushing the Wii U to its capabilities), and 1080p would be a pretty good compromise.

Did they? Echoes' light/dark dynamic made it feel very different from Prime, and Corruption was much more of a shooter. I didn't particularly enjoy Corruption, but it wasn't Prime 1.3.

I think you're over-exaggerating the "very different". They were the expected sequels with a few expected variations of the same action/exploration first person adventure formula MP1 created. One has a new control scheme and was more linear, the other one had a new light/dark mechanic. Stick it on the back of the box as a selling point if you must, but its nothing life-changing.

And this sequel won't be as clearly rushed as MP2, so they're improving on their expected sequel output.

scitek

Always wonder if this make a difference is played on a 720P screen? Would it a 1080P native game appear better then it would if it was a simply a 720P game running on a 720P TV?

My roommate has a 720p TV, and I can say that console games look better on his TV than my 1080p set. I don't know how 1080p content looks on his set, though, outside of Blu-rays.

Were Metroid Prime 2 and 3 not expected sequels? I'm not sure why they'd get a pass for that other than innovation while two DKC games are the worst thing ever. Like, I'd love at least one more DKC game from them before they go back to Metroid but the backlash makes it look like that won't happen. That would suck. Like, you got three Metroid games. Let DKC fans have their moment in the spotlight before ripping it away again!

Gambit

Just watched the new trailer on the eShop, and therefore on the big screen. Everyone should do that.

1080p or not (probably not) the game looks so friggin good.

Did I want Retro to work on something else first? yes.
Do I mind a sequel to one of the best platformers ever developed? no-ho

And this sequel won't be as clearly rushed as MP2, so they're improving on their expected sequel output.

When I played MP2, I had no idea it had been rushed. It in no way seemed unfinished or unpolished. All signs are pointing to this game not having as much content as DKCR. I blame Mario Kart 7 :p.

VanWinkle

Man, the game just looks graphically EXACTLY the same fidelity as the Wii DKCR game, except with fur shaders and a higher resolution. Being 1080p would have mitigated that a bit, because the game would have at least looked super crisp, but now that it looks like that probably isn't actually native 1080p, I'm back to being bummed about the visuals on this. And from Retro, no less! They're great tech devs, so I don't know what went wrong.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I just hope Wise still has his magic.

His work on the DKC series on SNES is still one of the best gaming soundtracks ever made.

Ocaso

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/wrestling-with-donkey-kong-country-tropical-freeze/1100-6416779/

Watch them get Tom McShea to review the game even though this preview shows how biased he is. It's okay for Retro to make three Metroid Prime games in a row but not okay for them to make a sequel to a game that outsold the entire Metroid Prime trilogy combined? Bullshit.

Since when should any critic care about sales or popularity? By all means , they should champion what they prefer. If he prefers a Prime game to a Donkey Kong game then that's what he should say.

Gigglepoo

I think you're over-exaggerating the "very different". They were the expected sequels with a few expected variations of the same action/exploration first person adventure formula MP1 created. One has a new control scheme and was more linear, the other one had a new light/dark mechanic. Stick it on the back of the box as a selling point if you must, but its nothing life-changing.

I was disappointed with Corruption because I felt as though they had done what they could with Metroid. But Echoes did feel pretty different (and had a rad multiplayer mode). Maybe I shouldn't place Retro on a pedestal anymore, but I just still think of them as one of the best developers around. I just want to see what else they're capable of.

I was disappointed with Corruption because I felt as though they had done what they could with Metroid. But Echoes did feel pretty different (and had a rad multiplayer mode). Maybe I shouldn't place Retro on a pedestal anymore, but I just still think of them as one of the best developers around. I just want to see what else they're capable of.

There are much worse fates than making excellent traditional 2D platformers. They aren't exactly raining from the skies here.

I mean, I'd like Valve to do Half-Life 3 too, but if they wanna do excellent Left 4 Dead and Portal sequels instead, I gotta be some kind of asshole to sit here complaining about it.

rawktapus

Man, the game just looks graphically EXACTLY the same fidelity as the Wii DKCR game, except with fur shaders and a higher resolution. Being 1080p would have mitigated that a bit, because the game would have at least looked super crisp, but now that it looks like that probably isn't actually native 1080p, I'm back to being bummed about the visuals on this. And from Retro, no less! They're great tech devs, so I don't know what went wrong.

To me, the cleverly designed worlds that already show more variety than DKCWii, the lush, visual density packed into the levels that look full and vibrant, much more alive than the levels in the Wii version, and the impressive animations of the kongs, baddies, and environments more than make up for whatever is supposed to be dissapointing about the visuals.

Top Bottom