• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Eminem album rumored to arrive 11/17.

Per HitsDailyDouble:
In the course of three successive weeks, UMG is expected to unleash three superstar releases: Sam Smith (11/3) on Steve Barnett's Capitol, Big Machine's Taylor Swift (11/10) and, if the very loud chatter is to be believed, Shady/Aftermath/Interscope's Eminem (11/17).

With this trifecta alone, the House of Grainge is poised for a huge Q4.

Steve Barnett's Capitol team has once again worked closely with U.K. head Nick Raphael and company on the Smith project. Taylor's new one will find Scott Borchetta's Big Machine squad joining forces with Monte Lipman's Team Republic. And John Janick's Interscope players will be collaborating closely with Eminem manager Paul Rosenberg, who also happens to be the incoming head of Def Jam.

Em hasn't been heard from in a substantive way since 2013's The Marshall Mathers LP 2, which bowed at #1 with 780k on the HITS Album Sales Chart almost precisely four years before the rap firebrand's next expected drop date. He reportedly appears on "Revenge," a track on RCA star P!nk's set, which drops 10/13.
There has been confirmation that Eminem's album is complete by Mr. Porter, Em's producer, but this was seemingly discredited by his amazing quote that he was "just trolling the trollers… Anytime they come in there, they can expect to get trolled with any kind of question like that,” he said. “I’m never the person to give up that kind of information. I might say, ‘Hey, we’re working on it’ or ‘Hey, we’re close.’ But I’m never going to be the guy that gives up the information. But they can get trolled.”

So, yeah, this might be happening. HDD was first to break the story of Future's consecutive releases and they do have a solid record when it comes to these things.

In case you forgot, here's the loose song he released almost a year ago to tease the new album, "Campaign Speech."

Oh, and just to get it out of the way, "real hip-hop is back", "Eminem is the greatest rapper alive", "Eminem >>>> Kanye and Drake", "only one with something to say", "modern hip-hop is trash", and so on and so forth.

I'll always give a new Eminem album a listen. Just hope the references ain't stale. Can only take Monica Lewinsky references for so long.

TraBuch

Banned
I'll listen but I'm expecting bad hooks, mediocre production and yelling.

Accent > yelling. Relapse > Recovery and MMLP 2.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Maybe he will actually rap about something new, insightful and not say f*g so much . . .

Eminem could get any producer in the world to produce for him and he chooses the most lackluster shit.
The Alchemist is his frickin' tour DJ.

The Alchemist a.k.a. the dude who produces shit like...

This.

And this.

And this.

And this.

And so much more, like Earl Sweatshirt's "45" and "Warlord Leather."

And he's just his fucking tour DJ. Imagine an Eminem album that plays to his technical strengths, one dominated by beats from Madlib, Samiyam, The Alchemist, and more.
Yea like all of those other rappers talking about insightful, intellectual shit.
And here we go...

Bronx-Man

Banned
Taylor Swift and Em in back to back weeks?

k0MGSLQ.jpg

I'm more than ready for some new Em. Yes his beats can be lame, lyrics can be corny and his yelling voice can get on my nerves. But his rhyme schemes and competitive nature are exactly what rap needs right now. I haven't jumped out of my seat in reaction to a verse since he lit up "Detroit vs Everybody." I'm ready for that again. Rap is too soft and nice right now.

If we could get Joe Budden back in the stu we could really start some shit. Him and Em on a track would be nice.

As long as he stays away from the excessive accent usage he did in Relapse, I'm on-board. I mean, I didn't even dislike Relapse overall, I just felt most of the songs would have been better with less use of the accent.

Kind of crazy to think we went five years between Encore and Relapse, but Relapse, Recovery, and MMLP2 all came out within four years of each other. Now we're on another four year break before Eminem 9 drops.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Last good album was Relapse.
Yeah, that's right. Relapse was great. Not as good as SSLP and MMLP obviously, but still awesome.

Anyway, I really wish his production choices didn't go to shit. I need some Dre beats, Paul and Steve Berman skits, and no more weird-sounding yelling either.

The only Eminem album I'm interested in is one entirely produced by El-P. Even then Eminem's corniness might overpower the whole thing but it would be a very interesting experiment indeed.

PixelatedBookake

Not mumbley or auto-tuney enough for you? I can see that.

Somebody sounds a bit insecure about being a modern-day Em fan. Em doesn't sound as good as he did due to a mixure of things (running out of stuff to rap about, corny subject matter, his flow not being as good anymore). That's not controversial.

Somebody sounds a bit insecure about being a modern-day Em fan. Em doesn't sound as good as he did due to a mixure of things (running out of stuff to rap about, corny subject matter, his flow not being as good anymore). That's not controversial.

Looking through his metacritic page it’s hard to believe he was ever good since like, 2000, but I digress.

He is popular? Although they love Kanye so who knows.
eminem is nowhere near as popular as he used to be. Kanye is bigger than he is.
That he hasn’t made a good album since 2004 would probably be a good reason.
Encore wasn't a good album either. But Recovery was good.
No clue, dude fucking defined rap in the early 2000s and people on this site act like he's a hack even though basically everyone else in the game acknowledges him as one of the greatest.
yep, pretty much. he's had a huge influence too, rolling stone considers him in the top 4 most influential hip hop musicians of all time

rolling-stone-hip-hop-cover.jpg

Is rampant homophobia and making terrible music not enough?
homophobia is rampant all throughout hip hop. or at least used to be.

as for "making terrible music" - music is the most subjective form of entertainment there is so for you to call it terrible like it's a fact doesn't say much.

homophobia is rampant all throughout hip hop. or at least used to be.

as for "making terrible music" - music is the most subjective form of entertainment there is so for you to call it terrible like it's a fact doesn't say much.
Way to bury the lede.

That's the point isn't it. Even if someone like Tyler the Creator can stop using the word, why can't a 50-year old man?

Hip-hop is in such a place now where one of its most popular underground groups has a gay frontman who raps about giving his boyfriend head, where it's most popular R&B/rap/pop/whatever the hell we wants to be singer is bisexual, where Young Thug can rock a dress on a cover and still be acclaimed as a GOAT in the making.

Why does Em keep getting a pass when literally every other artist is moving past using the word as a slur?

AOTY incoming

sorry kendrick

You know Taylor Swifts people bought that Grammy already. Regardless if Kendrick's TPAB didn't win AOTY and Kanye Dark Fantasy didn't win AOTY then I just don't know what it is going to take. Two of the biggest snubs since Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan.

Top Bottom