• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Gorillaz Album titled "Humanz" releases April 28th

Status
Not open for further replies.

CRS

wenis and I would like to team up for the OT if that's cool! We previously worked together on the Daft Punk RAM OT which people really seemed to like and I've already got some cool ideas for a Humanz OT, so if no one else claimed it yet we'd like to do it!
Just as long as the title is

Gorillaz - Humanz |OT| After All

wenis and I would like to team up for the OT if that's cool! We previously worked together on the Daft Punk RAM OT which people really seemed to like and I've already got some cool ideas for a Humanz OT, so if no one else claimed it yet we'd like to do it!
I've already called it, sorry dudes! Though if you guys would like to help out a bit, I wouldn't be opposed. But I've pretty much got it all figured out. Visual help would be nice though.
Just as long as the title is

Gorillaz - Humanz |OT| After All
That is the one I'm using, actually lol.

hughesta

Banned
I'll never forget all the insane people talking mad shit about Sweepstakes when PB came out. I hope they've reflected on their mistake in the years since

-GJ-

I've already called it, sorry dudes! Though if you guys would like to help out a bit, I wouldn't be opposed. But I've pretty much got it all figured out. Visual help would be nice though.

That is the one I'm using, actually lol.
Too bad, but I'm sure you'll make a beautiful OT! If you need any help from a graphic and audiovisual designer send me a PM :).

Just like with Plastic Beach, Saturn Barz is growing on me the more I listen to it. But Andromeda will be the stand out track for me.

Gorillaz- Clint Eastwood, followed by Rock the House
G Sides- Left hand Suzuki Method, followed by Ghost Train
Demon Days- Feel Good Inc, followed by Dirty Harry
D-Sides- Stop the Damns, followed by DARE soulwax remix
Plastic Beach- Stylo followed by On Melancholy Hill
The Fall- Revolving Doors, followed by The Snake in Dallas

A pattern is that I like songs that feature Damon in a big capacity, with a few exception of Del because it's Del and he's amazing.

Some of these songs are already growing on me, but Andromeda for sure seems like it'll be the standout track for me. Though the Noodle song might have a chance once I listen to it fully.

Yamibito

Man, reading this thread is jarring. Andromeda is easily the most boring to me, so uneventful. Saturn Barz is one the best singles to ever come from Gorillaz imo. It reminds me of that first album in the best way possible.

Syder

A lot of people jumping the gun after one listen...

'THIS IS TRASH!'

'THIS IS GODLIKE'

I listened to the tracks and I liked a couple but I'm going to wait until the album drops before I really listen to the tracks. That's how I've always done it with Gorillaz albums.

Good to have Gorillaz back. The only one I'm no really liking much is Saturnz Barz, the autotune(?) kinda kills it for me. The rest is pretty dope, kinda feels something from either their first album or DD.

zoozilla

I like pretty much all the tracks, though I'm not ready to rank them quite yet.

Just one thing I wanna know, though - where's the melodica?

Akainu

When was the last time Russel spoke? I've only heard him in some shorts from a long time ago. His voice is different.

Goldboy

Saturnz Barz is the realness. Didn't dig it too much the first time I listened to it, but the second time around was like whoa

This was pretty much my experience with all four of the tracks. Was 'eh' on all of them at first, but on repeated listens I think they're all great, especially Andromeda.

Listened to each of them a few times and Ascension is my favourite. Not really feeling Andromeda as much as most people here, feels a little too tame for me although I still like it. I don't like We've Got The Power at all though.

The music video for Saturnz Barz is some top tier animation right there.

darklin0

Banned
Me in the club when Andromeda comes on

102015-music-drake-hotline-bling-gif-9.gif

Me everywhere when Andromeda comes on.

I am even liking it more than Slide and I have been bumping that song for weeks.

The OT is under way!
title is
Gorillaz-Humanz[OT] After All
Yes I know that's not the correct OT format, but the actual thread is correct

AdanVC

Just finished watching and hearing the new tunes on their YT channel. The only one I liked is Andromeda... All the other sounds just like your average 2016 dubstep-ish hip hop-ish song :( I really really really hope the whole album doesn't sound like that and have more songs with catchy beats and bass lines like Andromeda.

Ordered myself the regular-ass edition of the vinyl. The Deluxe w/ it's 50+ pages of Hewlett art was awfully tempting, but seemed steep at $82.

I imagine the included download card includes the extra tracks of the deluxe cd.

HotHamBoy

After watching the new video and really digging the animation I was inspired to revisit all the official videos chronologically.

I noticed that "Gorillaz" and "Demon Days" each had 4 singles/videos (a noticeable rise in quality in the sophomore album, too).

Plastic Beach has 2. There is a storyboard animatic for Rinestone Eyes. What's especially disappointing is that it's a clear narrative being continued over each video but this was never finished.

So what happened? Seems like the plan was to release 4 singles/videos as before, but IIRC Rinestone Eyes was the last single and obviously never got a video. Then Doncamatic was released as a single and DID get a video, albeit clearly much cheaper and not connected to the narrative.

What's the story on this? I noticed EMI is not the label for Humanz...

hughesta

Banned
Just finished watching and hearing the new tunes on their YT channel. The only one I liked is Andromeda... All the other sounds just like your average 2016 dubstep-ish hip hop-ish song :( I really really really hope the whole album doesn't sound like that and have more songs with catchy beats and bass lines like Andromeda.
Ascension doesn't sound even slightly dubstep. We Got The Power isn't hip-hop in the slightest, and I'd argue that Saturnz has an extremely catchy beat and bassline

To the above post, PB lacked any successful singles, and performed rather poorly. Not only was RE supposed to get a video, we were supposed to get a Plastic Beach 2.

It didn't pan out and it hurts every day.

After watching the new video and really digging the animation I was inspired to revisit all the official videos chronologically.

I noticed that "Gorillaz" and "Demon Days" each had 4 singles/videos (a noticeable rise in quality in the sophomore album, too).

Plastic Beach has 2. There is a storyboard animatic for Rinestone Eyes. What's especially disappointing is that it's a clear narrative being continued over each video but this was never finished.

So what happened? Seems like the plan was to release 4 singles/videos as before, but IIRC Rinestone Eyes was the last single and obviously never got a video. Then Doncamatic was released as a single and DID get a video, albeit clearly much cheaper and not connected to the narrative.

They ran out of money doing plastic beach. It was incredibly incredibly expensive and after Stylo didn't do as well as they had hoped they said fuck no to giving them more money to do Rhinestone Eyes and they put out the much safer Doncamatic instead. Though Rhinestone Eyes is still canon. It's also why there's no P-Sides/Sea Sides/Plastic Beach 2/3 even though they had 70 finished and unfinished works from the Plastic Beach sessions (Some of which you can find on youtube).

The music videos were expensive, the live show was expensive, I'd imagine recording the album and that much material was pretty expensive and the album didn't perform as well as they would've liked it to. As you can see, while still a very good video, the video for Saturnz Barz is of a lower quality than those of Plastic Beach and its because they're trying not to repeat the financial fiasco that Plastic Beach brought them. I wouldn't be surprised if that also at least partially led to the brief fallout between Jamie and Damon and why it's taken the longest it ever has to release another album.

But yeah, the events of the Rhinestone Eyes are mentioned in the Humanz Pre phase material, so I'm pretty sure its canon.

Vectorman

Banned

EMI has been dead since 2012. It was having financial issues before PB and PB's lack of success hurt it even more. Damon and Jamie were on a bad badget from the beginning. It didn't help that Jamie spent alot on yhe Stylo vid itself. EMI was split in two with UMG (Universal) getting stuff and Gorillaz ending up with Warner Music because Warner acquired Parlophone (Gorillaz' label).

http://www.gorillaz-unofficial.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=28220&p=307925&hilit=Warner#p307925

Here's some reading on that subject.

As for Gorillaz' story the characters' writer Cass Browne, has stopped so I'm not sure who is writing material for the band's speaking lines. I have a feeling they might be holding off on any major story and are simply going back to that S/T and DD feel of videos just being a showcase for the visuals and the song itself. Not a bad thing tbh since PB ended up being unfinished and all that. Still looks like they're in Detroit though at the end of that vid since their car has a Mich license plate. Who knows if there's a narrative to be seen again.

EMI has been dead since 2012. It was having financial issues before PB and PB's lack of success hurt it even more. Damon and Jamie were on a bad badget from the beginning. It didn't help that Jamie spent alot on yhe Stylo vid itself. EMI was split in two with UMG (Universal) getting stuff and Gorillaz ending up with Warner Music because Warner acquired Parlophone (Gorillaz' label).

http://www.gorillaz-unofficial.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=28220&p=307925&hilit=Warner#p307925

Here's some reading on that subject.

As for Gorillaz' story the characters' writer Cass Browne, has stopped so I'm not sure who is writing material for the band's speaking lines. I have a feeling they might be holding off on any major story and are simply going back to that S/T and DD feel of videos just being a showcase for the visuals and the song itself. Not a bad thing tbh since PB ended up being unfinished and all that. Still looks like they're in Detroit though at the end of that vid since their car has a Mich license plate. Who knows if there's a narrative to be seen again.

They've already started with the "Book of X" pre phase material. Each book describes the characters situation post Plastic Beach and how they came back together for the new album. It also explains why Russel isn't massive anymore.

Man, reading this thread is jarring. Andromeda is easily the most boring to me, so uneventful. Saturn Barz is one the best singles to ever come from Gorillaz imo. It reminds me of that first album in the best way possible.
Agreed in full. I'm knocked to the ground that people that liked pre-PB singles aren't losing their minds over Saturn Barz. It's one of the most Gorillaz style singles we've heard since Demon Days. Such an amazing track.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
What is "Gorillaz Style"? Define that. Because I've only known it to be everything and anything. Go from Punk (the song) to Stylo. Pigeonhole them with a style.

I get what he's saying. It has a really dark and moody phase 1/phase 2 atmosphere mixed with hip hop and dub which is reminiscent of their early work. That's not to say they don't span many many genres, but Saturnz Barz really evokes that nostalgia for me and I don't think we've had any tracks like that since phase 2.

EVO

I'll never forget all the insane people talking mad shit about Sweepstakes when PB came out. I hope they've reflected on their mistake in the years since

Didn't like it back then and I still don't like it now.

Gorillaz are at their best when Damon is on vocals so I'm disappointed they've doubled down on the hip hop collaborations. Not really digging what I've heard so far.

daveo42

Banned
So like a dummy I missed the deluxe vinyl and opted for the regular as well as the deluxe CD set. Here's hoping they add more presses of that vinyl, tho guaranteed the only way I'd get one now is if I get lucky at my local shop.

So like a dummy I missed the deluxe vinyl and opted for the regular as well as the deluxe CD set. Here's hoping they add more presses of that vinyl, tho guaranteed the only way I'd get one now is if I get lucky at my local shop.
It's gone out of stock numerous times today, don't worry its likely you'll still get opportunities to buy it. Also with Metallica's latest album it wasn't hard to find their deluxe vinyl set in stores, and you can still order the deluxe edition of Radiohead's Moon Shaped Pool online in some places. It's only been a day, i wouldn't worry.

Jaroof

Andromeda is amazing. I can't stop listening to it. This is the Gorillaz I've been waiting for, and I hope there's more like it coming.
We've Got the Power is definitely my least favorite out of these singles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom