• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Gorillaz Album titled "Humanz" releases April 28th

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean I'd say the condensed version is better than everything here as well, but I digress. It's one of if not my favorite Gorillaz song at this point so it's hard to live up to.

Yep. Do Ya Thing is one of the best Gorillaz songs. I still use the full version to motivate myself when I have to do a speech or something like that.

Fevaweva

Saturnz Barz - straight trash
Andromeda - great
Ascension - ass water
We've Got The Power - shit.

Annoying and just poor songs with Andromeda being the only exception. A great shame considering I fucking adore Gorrilaz' first three albums and The Fall had a couple of good songs on it.

Realeza

Banned
Andromeda - great
Ascension - ass water

Annoying and just poor songs with Andromeda being the only exception. A great shame considering I fucking adore Gorrilaz' first three albums and The Fall had a couple of good songs on it.

Your taste seems extremely dubious

janoDX

Andromeda - great
Ascension - ass water

giphy.gif

Andromeda - great
Ascension - ass water

It didn't make sense until I read that part. Really though, surprised you liked the first album and through Ascension and Saturnz Barz were bad.

dlauv

Ascension's vocal delivery is grating.

I liked Andromeda and the track with Clementine so far. I like smooth shit tho usually.

daripad

Ok, so for me: Adromeda >>>>>>> Ascension >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Saturnz Barz >>>>>>> We Got the Power >>>>>>>>> Hallelujah Money

Hallelujah money is a piece of shit while Andromeda is the best shit I've heard this year. I'm excited for the new album

Fevaweva

Everyone else was saying their opinions on the songs, am I not allowed to either?

It didn't make sense until I read that part. Really though, surprised you liked the first album and through Ascension and Saturnz Barz were bad.

Amirillo and Revolving Doors were both excellent songs on The Fall. The rest did nothing for me.

I can't see the similarities between Gorillaz and Ascension or Saturnz Barz. At no point did that album have weird semi-autotuned reggae singing on it that actively put me off. And Vince Staples vocals on Ascension...man. What the fuck was that?

Andromeda is such a fucking jam. Danced along to the whole thing. Lovin all the tracks and I'm glad we're getting such a long album because I can never get enough Gorillaz.

This song turned me on to Vince staples. What do I need to listen to from him?
On Summertime 06 check out Norf Norf and on Prima Donna check out Loco. Loco features Kilo Kush who is on the Gorillaz album as well. Both albums are awesome and Vince is legit. His live show is so much fun too.

CRS

Damn, I guess the $350 Deluxe edition sold out. Was contemplating on getting it but the site made the decision for me.

NotLiquid

I wouldn't say Saturnz Barz isn't very "Gorillaz".

Gorillaz has always been a band with tremendous crossover appeal. Hip hop, soul, funk and rap is embedded into the DNA of the project. Laika Come Home is a remix album entirely comprised of Dub and Reggae. Gorillaz attempting to infuse a track with reggae and dancehall influence is not unheard of, nor is it out of place. Autotuning is a first, admittedly, and I can see some people not taking very much to it.

The actual production of the track is extremely Demon Days-ish, perhaps moreso on the D-Sides end of things with the droning low frequency oscillators which were absent from a lot of Plastic Beach. I bet if you got Del rapping on Saturnz Barz, people would love it.

I wouldn't say Saturnz Barz isn't very "Gorillaz".

Gorillaz has always been a band with tremendous crossover appeal. Hip hop, soul, funk and rap is embedded into the DNA of the project. Laika Come Home is a remix album entirely comprised of Dub and Reggae. Gorillaz attempting to infuse a track with reggae and dancehall influence is not unheard of, nor is it out of place. Autotuning is a first, admittedly, and I can see some people not taking very much to it.

The actual production of the track is extremely Demon Days-ish, perhaps moreso on the D-Sides end of things with the droning low frequency oscillators which were absent from a lot of Plastic Beach. I bet if you got Del rapping on Saturnz Barz, people would love it.

This is all true, and why I love it so much.

Fevaweva

PSY・S;232646066 said:
what's wrong with it

Something about his cadence or the tone of his voice when combined with the beat sounds supremely annoying. I guess I never really listened to any Vince Staples until now and now I don't ever want to. Dude seems super awesome in interviews but that voice...eurgh.

I bet if you got Del rapping on Saturnz Barz, people would love it.

Definitely. Because Del is great and Popcaan isn't.

DrkSage

They're all so good

Ok, so for me: Adromeda >>>>>>> Ascension >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Saturnz Barz >>>>>>> We Got the Power >>>>>>>>> Hallelujah Money

Hallelujah money is a piece of shit while Andromeda is the best shit I've heard this year. I'm excited for the new album

That's how my order goes, but I still enjoy them all :D

Gorillaz

Yea I noticed all the feats on this too. The theme sonically seems like it might be more hiphopish stuff again liek Demon Days
Empire Ants was soooooo goooood

I still think empire ants and Rhinestone eyes saved Plastic Beach. Empire Ants has such a great sound all through it.

Saturnz Barz - 4/5
Andromeda - 4/5
Ascension - 3/5
We Got the Power - 2/5

those are my meaningless scores

i enjoy vince staples and thought his vocals on ascension were fine but the lyrics didn't really do it for me.

If I had to rank Gorillaz songs, it would look something like the below. Note: I don't think I've ever actually listened to the first album - I just listen to 19-2000 and Clint Eastwood. I'll throw those in, along with the next two albums (besides songs that I wouldn't bother charting), and then the one okay song from The Fall. And then the four songs from today. From best to worst:

Demon Days
Pirate Jet
19-2000
All Alone
Clint Eastwood
Plastic Beach
O Green World
Feel Good Inc.
Every Planet We Reach Is Dead
Don't Get Lost In Heaven
Superfast Jellyfish
Last Living Souls