• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'New Jack' in 24: Legacy reboot is straight outta Compton actor Corey Hawkins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line_HTX

Gah I hope eventually they tie up the Jack and Tony story. Did they kill off Jacks girlfriend (Heller's daughter) I forget? Because they were meant to be. Use that as a surprise side plot to give the new guy's season some street cred.

Not familiar with the actor. Agree it will be potentially weird to have a young actor playing "Jack 2."

We wanted Idris damnit!!

Halfway point of the final episode of Live Another Day.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
You don't even need CTU.

I'm talking about the basic concept of a show happening in real time during a moment of crisis. Just sucks that wagon is forever hitched to terrorist attacks on US soil.
Agreed. There's a ton of directions they could have taken with the format, and whilst I love 24, it was always far too safe and repetetive. Moles, always a mole, but not who you think it is the first episode.

But 24 was at its best when the focus moved away from the action and on to the drama sub-plots. I don't remember the explosions or shoot outs, but I do remember Logan and I do remember Palmer's wife. Some incredible standout scenes throughout the seasons, and none of them focusing on the terrorist plot.

Anyway, like it or not, this is clearly a full reboot to pull in new younger fans, rather than trying to appeal to us remaining old folk.

Meier

I don't recognize him from TWD and haven't seen Compton yet, but I'm interested just the same. I'll definitely give it a watch.

Dysun

Can't imagine anything less interesting than 24 without Kiefer Sutherland

its like the X-Files season 8 and 9 again

He seems a bit too young to fit the 24 role, which is a grizzled guy whose seen way too much shit and just wants to get out BUT KEEPS GETTING PULLED BACK IN. That doesn't really work with a 27 year old dude.

Idris Elba really woulda been perfect, but I'm sure he doesn't wanna do American Luther with Guns

Shoulda cast a young unknown hispanic actor and could have it delve into the drug wars for the first season, ending with a tie in to global terrorism and bring back Bauer for a cameo / story wrapup. Jumping straight into "omg terrorists are gonna nuke/bioterror USA!" makes later seasons hard to play the top-that game.

Sober

I said it before and I'll say it again, should've gotten Yvonne Strahovski.

Bonus: should've also gotten Gugu Mbatha-Raw.

On separate occasions both those actresses have played badass government agents and have acted opposite of Kiefer Sutherland. If that's not enough I don't know what is.

Taelus

He seems a bit too young to fit the 24 role, which is a grizzled guy whose seen way too much shit and just wants to get out BUT KEEPS GETTING PULLED BACK IN.

You're describing Jack Bauer. This is a new protagonist. Personally, I'm glad that we're not just getting Jack 2.0

Igo

Dude reminds me of the snitch from Recess.

As long as I get some kind of closure on Jack they can do whatever the hell they want with the new series. Just don't let Jack go out like that, man. Character deserves better.

DiscoJer

This would have been perfect for Wesley Snipes.

And they could have vampires instead of terrorists. Or terrorist vampires.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I was honestly hoping for a reboot with Kate Morgan as the lead. She was fantastic.

Everyone was expecting that, heck I was expecting it after S7 when they were prepping Renee Walker to be the new main character. Maybe she will come back at some point. There are still a few old characters they can use without needing a direct connection to Bauer.

Everyone was expecting that, heck I was expecting it after S7 when they were prepping Renee Walker to be the new main character. Maybe she will come back at some point. There are still a few old characters they can use without needing a direct connection to Bauer.
But Renee died in season 8 and fueled one of Jack's famed "you killed my bae" power ups. That shit was epic too. I loved Renee though, that shit straight up pissed me off so hard.

24 was more of a guilty pleasure for me, and without Jack or Tony I really don't care. And I'm not really interested in a young guy taking up the mantle. Also I think the original writers are still behind this, and that doesn't bode well.

x-Lundz-x

I'm kind of sad that Yvonne Strahovski didn't get picked up for the new season.

Same, was really looking forward to her as the lead. I thought she was awesome in the revival. Are we sure she wont be involved still at CTU?

However I love the concept of the show itself so I'm pumped regardless.

SJRB

Gold Member
Is this guy any good? I don't remember seeing him in TWD.

He was okay in Straight Outta Compton, nothing remotely memorable though.

Curious to see how this will turn out, I'm not sure Fox fully realises what made 24 so succesful in the first place [Jack Bauer fucking people up].

Same, was really looking forward to her as the lead. I thought she was awesome in the revival. Are we sure she wont be involved still at CTU?

However I love the concept of the show itself so I'm pumped regardless.

Her character quit, she couldn't deal with all the craziness.

x-Lundz-x

He was okay in Straight Outta Compton, nothing remotely memorable though.

Curious to see how this will turn out, I'm not sure Fox fully realises what made 24 so succesful in the first place [Jack Bauer fucking people up].

Her character quit, she couldn't deal with all the craziness.

Couldn't quite remember, oh well here is to hoping she still shows up.

Also I just checked and on IMDB it's just listed as 12 episodes again, dafuq?

Sober

Couldn't quite remember, oh well here is to hoping she still shows up.

Also I just checked and on IMDB it's just listed as 12 episodes again, dafuq?
12 episodes was stellar last year. Even though it was 11 straight hours with a time jump at the end, that's honestly fine with me. I was hoping for like time jumps but I guess that doesn't work as well with the whole point of the series with a crisis over the course of a day or whatever. Maybe we'll see something similar like an 8 hour jump then a couple of hours in a row or something, etc. etc.

Boss Mog

He has too much of a nice guy, innocent looking face. I don't see him torturing people or killing his friends in order to thwart a bigger threat.

Curtis would've been awesome as the lead, I loved that guy, but helas Jack killed him to thwart a bigger threat.

The obvious thing they could've done is give the lead to Tony. Make him a deal where he helps prevent a tragedy to win his freedom. Tony is a badass and knows counter-terrorism well and he also knows all the plays in Jack's playbook. Tony was one of my favorite characters.

EDIT: Oh I didn't even know about 24: Solitary, so Tony might very well be a part of the new show.

The Messengers alum Anna Diop has been cast opposite Corey Hawkins and Miranda Otto in Fox pilot 24: Legacy... Diop will play Nicole, Carter’s wife. It is expected to be a significant role, just as the wife of Jack Bauer was on the original series.

source

Rt1uTIg.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom