• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'New Jack' in 24: Legacy reboot is straight outta Compton actor Corey Hawkins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Interfectum

They should just turn it into Bond/Mission Impossible. I want some ridiculous ass super villain with an impossibly sophisticated and wide reaching network of evil ass motherfuckers under his belt.

I'd be down with that too. Anything but domestic terrorism again. How many different ways can we see a U.S. city get nuked or threatened with a nuke?

Anyone want to take any bets on how many times CTU doubts Eric Carter's motivations and puts him in lockup? I'm guessing he gets cuffed and stealth released at least once this season.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Don't know him. Does he have the acting chops to carry the show? Hope he can bring some "grizzle" to the role, as that seems like a requirement for a "24" lead. Former Military could help. He literally cannot do worse than Freddie Prinze Jr.

If there's one thing I hope they change, is by having the lead having a love interest. 24 was constantly bad at this, as they were just eventual plot points of having to save/revenge the love interest.

A "Natural Disaster" 24 would be interesting, but I'm not sure I could see that kind of show having a "lead" character. No single person can be important enough to "solve" earthquakes on their own. Would need to be a total ensemble show.

liquidtmd

Banned
A "Natural Disaster" 24 would be interesting, but I'm not sure I could see that kind of show having a "lead" character. No single person can be important enough to "solve" earthquakes on their own. Would need to be a total ensemble show.

76a0a7b9f2a3279f1d75eb095ab8c27e.jpg

Lonestar

Well, there was like a half episode of Jack saving/solving problems post Nuke, like Helicopter Roof guy. Just expand on that for 23 1/2 hours.

It definitely helped that Jack was a 'I've seen some shit' kind of guy. I hope this guy can pull it off. I don't really think dealing with a rookie is the way to go with the show.

This right here.

New Guy like Chase, Freddie Prinze Jr. or Early Tony, just weren't great. New Guy has to, at minimum, have to have made 6 different "life or death (for another person)" decisions coming into the show.

CloudWolf

It's going to be Muslims and/or Russians and/or North Koreans and/or Rich White dudes. Mix and match.
Nah, in true 24 fashion it'll be muslims who are revealed to have been working for the Russians, who are really working for Koreans who enlist the help of an American PMC after Carter deals with the Russians, but they betray the Koreans and in a final twist it's revealed that the PMC has been working for the new head of CTU all along.

I lost interest in 24 completely during season 6, never did bother to find out how it ended, but if they shake thing up quite a bit, I might take a look.

Interfectum

Nah, in true 24 fashion it'll be muslims who are revealed to have been working for the Russians, who are really working for Koreans who enlist the help of an American PMC after Carter deals with the Russians, but they betray the Koreans and in a final twist it's revealed that the PMC has been working for the new head of CTU all along.

Sounds like you just spoiled the entire season. gg

Interfectum

I lost interest in 24 completely during season 6, never did bother to find out how it ended, but if they shake thing up quite a bit, I might take a look.

Jack Bauer saved the day and went off into the sunset a suspected criminal and wanted man. He's a lone warrior, a warrior alone.

Lonestar

The Miniseries pretty much had Jack be a complete psychopath. Still trying to stop bad shit happening, but giving 0 fucks of doing it any other way but his way.

Nope. The only way I was going to watch another season of 24 without Jack Bauer was if it was the Tony Almeida prison break.

I'd much prefer they ditch CTU altogether and just use the concept. Have it be it's own thing.

liquidtmd

Banned
This right here.

New Guy like Chase, Freddie Prinze Jr. or Early Tony, just weren't great. New Guy has to, at minimum, have to have made 6 different "life or death (for another person)" decisions coming into the show.

Correct. For a guy pretty much 'in the field running round like a young guy', you believed Jacks world wearyness. He was ex-special forces and was running CTU in Season 1.

I don't want to see a rookie being a rookie in this type of show based on we've seen them before and they all sucked next to Bauer.

Damnit Chloe, no Tony Almeida?

Or Curtis Manning...such a great,wasted character. Curtis would've been a better fit than this fellow. Spoilers for 24:
I know he died but it wouldn't be the first time they brought someone back from the dead in 24.

Interfectum

Or Curtis Manning...such a great,wasted character. Curtis would've been a better fit than this fellow. Spoilers for 24:
I know he died but it wouldn't be the first time they brought someone back from the dead in 24.

I'm assuming they don't want to go into a reboot with a bunch of characters with baggage. Clean slate seems like the way to go here with, maybe, a cameo or two late season if ratings are shit.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
That's fine but they had better bring back Kate Morgan at some point. She can be the new Tony.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I totally expect Jack Bauer to show up towards the end of the season.

I'd love it if they ripped off Star Wars: A New Hope and had Jack as this crazy old hermit a new CTU Agent tracks down. 'Hey, do you think he's any relation to Ol Ja Backuer.' Then we get Jack vs Cyber Tony in the fight to end all fights.

'From my perspective, CTU is evil.'
'Only a terrorist deals in absolutes.'
'YOU WERE THE HEIR APPARENT.'

'He was a good friend... and the finest Witness Tamperer I ever knew.'

SJRB

Gold Member

Yeah, the way he got taken out was brutal considering everything he'd done, but in a way I liked how unceremonial it was. His plotline was total garbage in S6 anyway.

Future

It's going to be Muslims and/or Russians and/or North Koreans and/or Rich White dudes. Mix and match.

There is usually at least 1 white dude involved revealed as the mastermind. Always figure they do that to appear a little less harsh to the culture that's the terrorist.

Lonestar

AH, it's that guy.

Well, hopes are up a little higher. In his limited role on TWD, he seemed pretty grounded and felt pretty close to matching his Comicbook version.

Correct. For a guy pretty much 'in the field running round like a young guy', you believed Jacks world wearyness. He was ex-special forces and was running CTU in Season 1.

I don't want to see a rookie being a rookie in this type of show based on we've seen them before and they all sucked next to Bauer.

Indeed. I hate to say it, but most of the periphery characters were never as interesting as Jack and Tony. Especially considering that, by the start of the show, Jack had already been the sole survivor (or so he thought) of a field op gone bad, sold out his fellow employees to put a stop to a corruption ring, and was known to several people as a renegade. This new guy they've got looks like he came straight out of college.

24 works because it centers around the adventures of a grizzled field agent who's already seen some shit, but continues to compromise his morals over the course of the series.

Tookay

The concept of 24 could be so much more than just 'omg terrorism.'

A natural disaster 24 would be cool IMO.

A long time ago, the idea was that they would do different topics each season. Initially, the first season would cover 24 hours before somebody's wedding day or something like that.

sarcastor

A long time ago, the idea was that they would do different topics each season. Initially, the first season would cover 24 hours before somebody's wedding day or something like that.

Kinda like the last season of How I Met Your Mother?which was fucking painful to watch :/

Is there a drinking game for 24? Any time there's a mole or someone gets arrested for the wrong reason, take a shot!

MIMIC

Banned
Hmmmm....I actually prefer this. I thought they were going to keep the character "Jack Bauer" and just have someone else play him. I didn't really like that idea. Adding a Jack Bauer-LIKE character (this Eric Carter person) is better, IMO.

Line_HTX

Yvonne's character Kate Morgan really felt like she could be the best replacement for Jack.

Oh well, now I want to see what Eric Carter brings to the table.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Gah I hope eventually they tie up the Jack and Tony story. Did they kill off Jacks girlfriend (Heller's daughter) I forget? Because they were meant to be. Use that as a surprise side plot to give the new guy's season some street cred.

Not familiar with the actor. Agree it will be potentially weird to have a young actor playing "Jack 2."

We wanted Idris damnit!!

Gah I hope eventually they tie up the Jack and Tony story. Did they kill off Jacks girlfriend (Heller's daughter) I forget? Because they were meant to be. Use that as a surprise side plot to give the new guy's season some street cred.

Not familiar with the actor. Agree it will be potentially weird to have a young actor playing "Jack 2."

We wanted Idris damnit!!
Yup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom