• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Mickey Mouse cartoons by Paul Rudish (Dexter's Lab, PowerPuff Girls etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KTallguy

Banned
I agree with the comments that these don't feel like Mickey/Disney cartoons. It feels like a Ren & Stimpy/Adventure Time mashup with Mickey in it. I think it's a fine line, but they could have done it in a more "Mickey Like" style and still kept the same pace and energy.

And I think the videogame thing is a bit gratuitous, personally.

I agree with the comments that these don't feel like Mickey/Disney cartoons. It feels like a Ren & Stimpy/Adventure Time mashup with Mickey in it. I think it's a fine line, but they could have done it in a more "Mickey Like" style and still kept the same pace and energy.

And I think the videogame thing is a bit gratuitous, personally.

Really? The ones I have seen totally feel like old Disney cartoons. It seems like people forget how weird those cartoons were. I've seen the France one and the yodeling one and absolutely loved both of them.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Someone point out where the Casey Jr. reference was. (edit: Nevermind, I figured out what it was. Another nice touch.) I noticed the pic of Walt Disney on the wall at the end though, which was a nice touch.

Think they'll release all of these as a collection or something in the future?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I liked the new short, but I think it's the weakest of the four so far.

My ranking with ratings:
1. Yodelberg (5/5)
2. Croissant de Triomphe (4/5)
3. No Service (4/5)
4. Tokyo Go (3/5)

It's going to be hard for them to top Yodelberg.

AMUSIX

Really? The ones I have seen totally feel like old Disney cartoons. It seems like people forget how weird those cartoons were. I've seen the France one and the yodeling one and absolutely loved both of them.

The France one and the Yodeling ones were absolutely the most Mickey, and, thus, were the best.

No Service was also excellent, but was definitely a bit of a departure from the classics. Goofy's design I felt was a bit too "haha! exaggerated follicles are funny!"

The New York one and the Tokyo ones are the biggest examples of the "Ren & Stimpy" flaw. It's only for a few scenes in each, but it's so jarring that it kills the charm. Of course, people point to Runaway Brain as an example of this in Mickey's past, but Runaway Brain was 1) much later than classic Mickey, and 2) a massive break in style for the Mouse. Trying to incorporate what it did while still apeing the style of the early Mickey just results in a busted presentation.

I liked the new short, but I think it's the weakest of the four so far.

My ranking with ratings:
1. Yodelberg (5/5)
2. Croissant de Triomphe (4/5)
3. No Service (4/5)
4. Tokyo Go (3/5)

It's going to be hard for them to top Yodelberg.

Out of curiosity, where do you put New York Weenie?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
The France one and the Yodeling ones were absolutely the most Mickey, and, thus, were the best.

No Service was also excellent, but was definitely a bit of a departure from the classics. Goofy's design I felt was a bit too "haha! exaggerated follicles are funny!"

The New York one and the Tokyo ones are the biggest examples of the "Ren & Stimpy" flaw. It's only for a few scenes in each, but it's so jarring that it kills the charm. Of course, people point to Runaway Brain as an example of this in Mickey's past, but Runaway Brain was 1) much later than classic Mickey, and 2) a massive break in style for the Mouse. Trying to incorporate what it did while still apeing the style of the early Mickey just results in a busted presentation.

Out of curiosity, where do you put New York Weenie?

Totally forgot about that one! I'd put it about a 3/5, maybe a little better than Tokyo Go.

None of them are bad, mind you.

I know they're not old-style Disney cartoons, but they certainly have a lot more stylization and personality than the classics, and that's why I love them. Mickey's in some truly ridiculous situations sometimes, as in Weenie and Tokyo Go, so I can accept his expressions being exaggerated beyond belief. Besides, there's a lot of rubber-hose abstraction already going on, as opposed to large-scale gags like armies of cards chasing Mickey around (something the old shorts focused on). Ren & Stimpy was rarely just about being gross: the animators wanted to have their characters breathe and exhibit human-like imperfections—in short, to act. That line of thinking's rubbed off on many upcoming animators, and this series is no exception.

I'm treating these cartoons as their own thing, since they're tenuously connected to the past Disney style and are pretty unique.

Link Man

Banned
I liked it. For a while didn't seem to be a "Mickey" cartoon as much as a cartoon with Mickey in it (that is, could have been any character there).

Still, a lot of fun stuff, from him holding all the coins to Walt's photograph framed on the wall to Casey Jr. being quoted.

I do think there are moments in these shorts where the charm is totally killed by the seeming need to be gross. Close-ups of pores and nose hairs and food caught in teeth and such are far more Ren & Stimpy than Mickey & Donald.

Agreed, the closeups are distracting. Then again, these are the folks behind Dexter's Laboratory, I believe, so it's to be expected. Plus, they think this is what kids find funny.

Tokyo Go was pretty great, though. Loved the reference to the Japanese cutout game show.

Mariolee

These are pretty great!

6bcGXKH.png

Lol I'm dying here.

blamite

Wow these are actually really really good. :eek:

First Mickey Mouse thing I've liked since... maybe ever?

The New York one is easily the best, those faces were amazing. Had to rewind a few times to see those again. And the avalanche was great too. Just really great stylistic choices all around.

Just saw Tokyo Go! It's very good!

Also I've caught New York Weenie on Disney Channel the other night in HD. It's GORGEOUS! It'd be a serious travesty if these aren't released on Bluray or at least iTunes.

wetwired

Awesome. My 4 year has been loving the Paris one. She's watched it about a billion times. I'll have to track down the new ones

I've noticed there's a new one airing Friday called "Be cool" (or Stay Cool, something like that) which they haven't shown online yet.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Holy crap, I about died at the whole frying pan sequence. Hilarious! Gasp! gives Yodelberg a run for its money.

Stayin' Cool was great too. "Oh, mama!"

wetflame

Pizza Dog
All these shorts have been fantastic, so refreshing to see animation of this quality and Disney straying outside of their usual oh-so-safe boundaries a little. Great stuff.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Most of these are very good!

My favorites so far are Yodelberg, Tokyo Go and No service.
Seems like the less talking the better so far, for me at least.

Also, Disney should totally do an animated movie set in Tokyo!

That GIF discribes pretty much everyone in the UK when it started raining last month. :D

We need more shorts like this. Especially if they're going to be shown at cinemas as well. In the UK, Orange do shorts which use major movies as sources and they're always pretty cool.

Also, this is further proof that western animation is in a silver age at the moment.

Groof

Just watched through all the shorts and these are absolutely amazing! I was sceptical about the idea at first but the quality has been consistent and every short has been entertaining. Glad I didn't write it off as I was intending.

I wonder if the end of "Tokyo Go" is a nod to Walt Disney.

Walt had a small train like the one Mickey rides at the end installed at his home. He would ride it around his backyard with his daughters and their friends.

lillybelle-studio.jpg

He was kind of obsessed with trains.

Hex

Banned
I wanted to like these, and as animation and as a fan of Dexter's Lab and all I enjoyed them.
As a massive Disney fan and Mickey fan I think they were total horse shit and a shining example of the idiotic cartoon network garbage that passes for quality and humor.
There were some shining moments in each of them, but then they fell into the usual cartoon network style crap.

MMaRsu

Banned
I wanted to like these, and as animation and as a fan of Dexter's Lab and all I enjoyed them.
As a massive Disney fan and Mickey fan I think they were total horse shit and a shining example of the idiotic cartoon network garbage that passes for quality and humor.
There were some shining moments in each of them, but then they fell into the usual cartoon network style crap.

Regular Show & Adventure Time are crap?

Personally, I love most (but not all) of the concepts, but the animation style is very hit-or-miss for me.

It ranges from downright beautiful (Yodelberg) to really gross and off-putting (New York Weenie, Stayin' Cool).

Also, I hate Goofy's character design. It's atrocious. Most of the other ones I don't mind.

Panda-monium is out!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3tWk5zzIcI

(Not sure if this is a Region-blocked link or not)

One of the best so fasr IMO, grogeous visuals and a great throwback to the original Oswald cartoons.

You say you liked Dexter's Laboratory and then call the shorts "Cartoon Network-style crap" Could you elaborate, because I'm confused. Or are you just one of those grumpy, nostalgic curmudgeons that refuses to believe anything in the present can live up to what you grew up with.

I passed off Regular Show for being crap after watching one episode (like you I just thought it was very low brow humor like their Adult Swim shows but toned down a little). I finally caught more episodes and now I adore the show. I was really late to watching Adventure Time too, passing it off as random crap (although while I like it, it has issues).

Hex

Banned
Panda-monium is out!

One of the best so fasr IMO, grogeous visuals and a great throwback to the original Oswald cartoons.

You say you liked Dexter's Laboratory and then call the shorts "Cartoon Network-style crap" Could you elaborate, because I'm confused. Or are you just one of those grumpy, nostalgic curmudgeons that refuses to believe anything in the present can live up to what you grew up with.

I passed off Regular Show for being crap after watching one episode (like you I just thought it was very low brow humor like their Adult Swim shows but toned down a little). I finally caught more episodes and now I adore the show. I was really late to watching Adventure Time too, passing it off as random crap (although while I like it, it has issues).

Cartoon Network style and Disney style are two very different things and I like them as seperate things.
But it is a fair question about Dexter and whatnot.
I liked Dexter, I loved Power Puff girls and I think the current offering of Cartoon Network have sunk far below those levels.
My gf's kids are always watching Adventure Time, Regular Show and I will sit at the table and listen to it and watch and just shake my head and wonder if this is really it. Don't get me wrong they laugh their asses off, and maybe I am just old man yelling at cloud but it comes off as so dumbed down and low brow compared to what used to be out there.
As far as the Disney part of it goes, christ...I am happy to see new Disney cartoons and after watching some of the Mickey's clubhouse cgi poo that they have on Disney Channel I was hopeful and like I said there are shining bits but then it goes for the cheap Ren and Stimpy low brow gags and makes me shake my head.

zaccheus

Banned
Panda-monium is out!

this one is probably my least favorite one. why is mickey acting like he's mentally handicapped?

Mesoian

Just watched a few of these for the first time. They don't feel like Mickey Mouse cartoons, they feel more like old school 1960's Chuck Jones cartoons, and that's perfectly fine since even warner brothers cartoons don't carry that feeling anymore.

I fucking hate that the player starts counting down to the next video a good 30+ seconds before the video you're watching is actually over. (It popped up right after he sunk the goal for me)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom