• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New NBC/WSJ poll has Carson in first place, Trump in second, Rubio third

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, is a Trump/Carson victory a good or bad for the Democrats? Because they're both nutso crazy, but wouldn't that push moderates more to the Democrats?

I dunno, part of me wants Trump to stay in as long as possible for entertainment value.

I'm amazed. The man straight up lied about his involvement with a shady supplement company and yet he leads in the polls.

Also, the man can't form a coherent sentence to save his life on answering questions regarding his policies.

mnannola

Well, in terms of what one would desire in an applicant for the position of President of the United States of America, I would say that the important thing here is the fact that he speaks very softly in a way that is comforting, but also that he manages to sometimes actually utilize a very large amount of time to express a thought or multiple thoughts that may actually have a very paltry offering in the way of substantial content for people to absorb and take into consideration.

Are you sleeping yet? Still awake?

Ok, well then also what's important is a recognition of the fact that the current administration has taken it upon themselves and their own decision making, to activate policies which when closely examined as I have examined them, appear to be much worse in terms of forward thinking and responsible moral action, than the policies that caused the holocaust just a few short decades ago.

Haha perfect! Read this in Carson's voice so it took 5 minutes.

Monocle

Well, in terms of what one would desire in an applicant for the position of President of the United States of America, I would say that the important thing here is the fact that he speaks very softly in a way that is comforting, but also that he manages to sometimes actually utilize a very large amount of time to express a thought or multiple thoughts that may actually have a very paltry offering in the way of substantial content for people to absorb and take into consideration.

Ok, well then also what's important is a recognition of the fact that the current administration has taken it upon themselves and their own decision making, to activate policies which when closely examined as I have examined them, appear to be much worse in terms of forward thinking and responsible moral action, than the policies that caused the holocaust just a few short decades ago.
10/10

HUELEN10

Wow. Honestly, I am pleasantly surprised. As I've said before, I find Carson to be less damaging than Trump, so I am okay with this.

Dr Carson posts on gaf

Kusagari

Wow. Honestly, I am pleasantly surprised. As I've said before, I find Carson to be less damaging than Trump, so I am okay with this.

Carson is legitimately batshit insane.

He's the scariest guy in the entire field, which is truly saying something.

RoKKeR

This post is amazing.

Do not be fooled by his prior occupation or demeanor... the dude is nuts and would probably do more damage to this country than Trump.*

*If we are going to be splitting those hairs, which I have little interest in doing!

ivysaur12

Banned

fucking amazing

pigeon

Banned
I never imagined Jeb! would do so poorly. Is this just not his time?

Jeb's time was 2000. Unfortunately, he lost his race to be FL governor because he was too extreme and had to give up the slot to his brother George W.

Since then he's been cultivating a more moderate approach. Unfortunately, while he did that, the entire party repudiated his brother and moved wildly to the right at the same time, leaving him fundamentally out of step with his party.

Jeb will go down with Joe Biden in the unread book of politicians whose timing was just never quite right to be president, and who were also lousy candidates.

Him leading in these polls is legitimately pissing me off. Why is he leading? He can't give one coherent answer in regards to policy. He was absolutely terrible in the last debate and even struggled to defend his own tax policy. Ugh rant over.

I love it and I hope he gets the nomination. Watching Hillary dismantle him on national television would be amazing.

Ihyll

Carson = more crazy = less votes

That's why he's better for Democrats than Trump, who is way more popular

Him leading in these polls is legitimately pissing me off. Why is he leading? He can't give one coherent answer in regards to policy. He was absolutely terrible in the last debate and even struggled to defend his own tax policy. Ugh rant over.

There are actually some people who view the fact that he can't give a coherent answer as endearing and see someone being an intellectual as a character flaw. This is why Trump and Carson are leading. "He's just like us in that he's stupid and doesn't think about what he says before he says it!"

If you got less than 5% support in polling maybe it's time to close up shop, spare people from another clusterfuck of a "debate". It's kind of sad how much the crazies have over run the party.

Again, honorable people can differ. Heck, if we didn't, then everyone would vote for the same person.

not about this, no. There are some positions- like "the sun rises in the west and sets in the east" or "barack obama was born in kenya" that are simply indefensible. This is one of those things. Carson is out of his mind.

Carson is legitimately batshit insane.

He's the scariest guy in the entire field, which is truly saying something.

Do not be fooled by his prior occupation or demeanor... the dude is nuts and would probably do more damage to this country than Trump.*

Should we revisit Carson's greatest hits?

Obamacare is really, I think, the worst thing to happen to the nation since slavery, And it is slavery, in a way.

There is no doubt that this senseless violence is breathtaking — but I never saw a body with bullet holes that was more devastating than taking the right to arm ourselves away.

There's only two paragraphs in there about George Washington ... little or nothing about Martin Luther King, a whole section on slavery and how evil we are, a whole section on Japanese internment camps and how we slaughtered millions of Japanese with our bombs. I think most people when they finish that course, they'd be ready to go sign up for ISIS ... We have got to stop this silliness crucifying ourselves.

I would not advocate that we put a Muslim in charge of this nation. I absolutely would not agree with that

The separation clause of the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution is being inappropriately applied to a host of situations that involve religion.
By reinterpreting the law to mean separation of God and state, as opposed to the original intent of keeping the church from having undue influence over state affairs and keeping government from ruling the church, the secular progressives have succeeded de facto in redefining part of the Constitution.

A lot of people who go into prison straight and when they come out they’re gay

Re: Ebola virus in the US
Someone comes up to a lab worker. He knows he’s got the urine; ‘How would you like to have a million dollars?’ A little transaction there…Such things have been known to happen

Gravity, where did it come from?

In a speech delivered in 2012, Ben Carson said the big bang theory was part of the “fairy tales” pushed by “high-faluting scientists” as a story of creation.
Similarly, Carson, a noted creationist, said he believed the theory of evolution was encouraged by the devil.

"As a teenager, I would go after people with rocks, and bricks, and baseball bats, and hammers. And, of course, many people know the story when I was 14 and I tried to stab someone,"

As for instances of rape or incest -- exceptions that are often made by other abortion opponents -- Carson said: “All you have to do is go and look up the many stories of people who have led very useful lives who were the result of rape or incest.”

Mothers should not have the right to terminate an unwanted pregnancy, Carson said, just as slave owners did not have the right to do whatever they wanted to their slaves. Had abolitionists allowed that, he said, "Where would we be?"

"I actually have something I would use the Department of Education to do," Carson responded. "It would be to monitor our institutions of higher education for extreme political bias and deny federal funding if it exists."

“Declare that within five to 10 years, we will become petroleum independent. The moderate Arab states would have been so concerned about that, they would have turned over Osama bin Laden and anybody else you wanted on a silver platter within two weeks,” he said at the time.

This Week host George Stephanolopolus pressed Carson to explain his thinking.

“How would that have worked? How would you have gotten the moderate Arab governments to turn over Osama bin Laden in two weeks?” the host asked.

“Well, I think they would have been extremely concerned if we had declared — and we were serious about it — that we were going to become petroleum independent, because it would have had a major impact on their finances,” Carson offered. “And I think that probably would have trumped any loyalty that they had to — to people like Osama bin Laden.”

An incredulous Stephanopolous challenged Carson, saying, “But they didn’t have any loyalty to Osama bin Laden. The Saudis kicked him out. He was their enemy.”

“Uh, well, you may not think that they had any loyalty to him, but I believe otherwise,” Carson said without further explanation.

carson is the WORST kind of evangelical ideologue. This is not someone you want anywhere near any kind of position of authority in government. If he ran for dogcatcher and won I'd think strongly about assassination.

Carson feels worse than Trump, Trump at least has some self awareness

Trump is a piece of shit, no doubt. Arrogant as hell and probably racist. But you don't get the feeling that he would randomly nuke the middle east because he thought he was living in the biblical end times.

Kusagari

Carson actually proposed dropping drones on the border to curb illegal immigration.

I would be scared out of my mind for humanity if he became president and had access to our nukes.

numble

Take the three establishment candidates and add their numbers together and what do you get? 29%.

Once the field narrows the two circus freaks won't be able to maintain the lead.

Your logic also means that "circus freak" accounts for 52%. If the field narrows and one drops out, the establishment candidates won't be able to maintain the lead.

Carson actually proposed dropping drones on the border to curb illegal immigration.

I would be scared out of my mind for humanity if he became president and had access to our nukes.

jesus christ how did I miss that one? Trump building a wall sounds damn near reasonable

Saya

"As a teenager, I would go after people with rocks, and bricks, and baseball bats, and hammers. And, of course, many people know the story when I was 14 and I tried to stab someone,"

WTF? What happened here? It's not the same story when he was in a diner that got held up and he told the robber to go after the cashier?

WTF? What happened here? It's not the same story when he was in a diner that got held up and he told the robber to go after the cashier?

LOL no, that's a completely different fucking insane ben carson story

Though he has talked about it before, in his new book, Carson recalls how he was minding his own business when “a classmate came along and began to ridicule me. I had a large camping knife in my hand and without thinking,” he writes, “I lunged at him, plunging the knife into his abdomen.”

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2014/06/12/the-time-dr-ben-carson-knifed-a-classmate/#ixzz3qODoWBsu

Moofers

Well, a friend of mine liked a post on Facebook about Ben Carson taking the lead in this new poll. I replied to the post with a bunch of links pointing out the crazy shit that Ben Carson has said. As I sat back, proud of my work, I realized it was on Ben Carson's official Facebook page. Ha ha ha. So now, if I disappear and stop posting in about a week you'll all know why. Pray for me.

Trump is a piece of shit, no doubt. Arrogant as hell and probably racist. But you don't get the feeling that he would randomly nuke the middle east because he thought he was living in the biblical end times.

Of course not. If anything, there's too many wealthy clientele from middle-east that do business with him and his brand.

Saya

LOL no, that's a completely different fucking insane ben carson story

Jesus, this guy scares me...

I had real anger issues. I would just fly off the handle and really become quite irrational and try to hurt people with baseball bats, hammers, whatever. In this particular case, I happened to have a large camping knife. And, you know, one of my friends angered me. And I just lunged at his abdomen with the knife. Probably would have seriously injured or killed him, but he happened to have on a large metal belt buckle under his clothing, upon which the blade broke.

And, of course, he fled in terror. But I was more horrified than he was, because I realized that I was trying to kill somebody over nothing — and that I would never realize my dreams of becoming a physician. And I would end up in jail, reform school, or the grave. And I just locked myself in the bathroom and started praying …

Jesus, this guy scares me...

none of this surprises me. Ben Carson is not rational. Ben Carson is a crazy person, barely held in check by religious zealotry.

If he didn't think Jesus was coming back *any second now* he'd be wearing some woman's skin right now

Meowster

Ben Carson may very well snap during a debate vs. Hillary
He'd just say that she is being unfair to him as she mentions his constant hypocrisy, his befuddlement of terms and policies, and he'd call it libel and/or slander and the Republicans would cheer and give him a standing ovation.

He'd just say that she is being unfair to him as she mentions his constant hypocrisy, his befuddlement of terms and policies, and he'd call it libel and/or slander and the Republicans would cheer and give him a standing ovation.
Maybe. But the general elections crowd is thankfully a little more saner than the Republican primary rabid, foaming at the mouth electorate.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

I've gone over this in the PoliGAF thread (and told them back in the summer that he's a legitimate contender for the nomination).

Proudly evangelical. Wants a flat tax. Likable. Respected by the general public (even after all the crazy stuff he has said). Black, yet denies systemic racism actually exists.

He is the perfect storm of traits for the GOP far right.

In related news... Carson is absolutely clueless about extremely important things about the US and world economy: Source
Ryssdal: All right, so let’s talk about debt then and the budget. As you know, Treasury Secretary Lew has come out in the last couple of days and said, “We’re gonna run out of money, we’re gonna run out of borrowing authority, on the fifth of November.” Should the Congress then and the president not raise the debt limit? Should we default on our debt?

Carson: Let me put it this way: if I were the president, I would not sign an increased budget. Absolutely would not do it. They would have to find a place to cut.

Ryssdal: To be clear, it’s increasing the debt limit, not the budget, but I want to make sure I understand you. You’d let the United States default rather than raise the debt limit.

Carson: No, I would provide the kind of leadership that says, “Get on the stick guys, and stop messing around, and cut where you need to cut, because we’re not raising any spending limits, period.”

Ryssdal: I’m gonna try one more time, sir. This is debt that’s already obligated. Would you not favor increasing the debt limit to pay the debts already incurred?

Carson: What I’m saying is what we have to do is restructure the way that we create debt. I mean if we continue along this, where does it stop? It never stops. You’re always gonna ask the same question every year. And we’re just gonna keep going down that pathway. That’s one of the things I think that the people are tired of.

I need to run for president. I have a better understanding of the economy than a FRIGGIN front runner for the GOP!

WHAT.THE.F***!

Nesotenso

Republican party is imploding. At this rate the crazies in the primaries are never going to select an electable candidate.

RDreamer

I like that they genuinely found someone worse that Donald fucking Trump. We all thought he was awful and they took that as a challenge.

none of this surprises me. Ben Carson is not rational. Ben Carson is a crazy person, barely held in check by religious zealotry.

If he didn't think Jesus was coming back *any second now* he'd be wearing some woman's skin right now

I've met people like this and they are indeed irrational and downright scary.

Edit: Holy shit at AstroNut325's post. Carson doesn't understand a damn thing about politics or the economy.

it hurts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom