• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New pic of Pennywise from "IT" (2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyba89

First time hearing about 'It' (2017). What? Why? There are still many good King novels that haven't been adapted.

Why not? IT is one of Kings best and has not been properly adapted to screen yet (the TV version is bad aside from Tim Curry).

The twist is he's just trying to be a clown and shit but he's getting tormented by a millenia-old monster masquerading as a group of shitty teens.

Matty77

And for those of you wanting a flawless book adaptation, think back to everything that happened in that book and ask yourself...is that really what you want to see?
I don't want a flawless book adaption. There is a lot of things that probably don't belong in an adaption, not just THAT scene. However hopefully it's closer.

And that's not my argument anyway, my argument is that it needs to be judged as good or bad on its own merits because it's a second attempt to adapt King's book not a remake of the pretty piss poor mini-series.

Especially since while Tim Curry's performance is legendary and deserves to be as iconic as it is the fact that it is excellent does not change the fact that it's not necessarily the greatest adaption of what IT is in the book.

Looks like Jerome from Gotham.

GqjZPHP.jpg

My mind is shook. I watch Shameless and love Batman comics/movies/cartoons and I have never watched Gotham. If I knew Ian from Shameless was the Joker I would have been in. Time to catch up!

Oh and clowns suck

kaskade

It's been decades since I read it, but I remember not being able to put it down.

The Stand is another monstrosity of a book that was hard to put down.

Read them when I could read all day after school (and sometimes during school), when there was no internet and video games could wait.

I read it fairly recently, the opening chapter is very gripping. There was a bit of a lull after that but once it introduced the core cast of characters I was hooked till the end and didn't want it to be over. Probably the best-paced book of that length I've ever read.

While I'm not a big fan of the design either, "ancient horror" is exactly what the creature called Pennywise actually is ;)

Awesome, I'll give it a shot when I finish my current book. I'm just waiting for my new kindle to get here today.

That scene where Pennywise was under the storm drain gave me fucking nightmares when I was a kid.... and it came from a made for TV movie from 1990 too... The movie itself wasn't particularly scary or anything. But that one scene...

And yes I agree, just making Pennywise look like a regular clown is scary enough in itself.

Also, why do movie studios keep using Entertainment for their publicity stills? Entertainment constantly provides some of the worst looking publicity shots that I have ever seen. Their photoshop artist is laughably bad.

The "Georgie Scene" is pure Tim Curry magic. There's a split second after Pennywise responds, "Oh yes. They float, Georgie!" where he lets slip a half second sinister grin before continuing to speak. It's like he can't hide his glee that he's about to feed.

The line starts right after 1:27 in this recording. https://youtu.be/E8ATL5NHyjw?list=FLp3zlU9DUYfsjzCFHCmNGcw

Georgie couldn't have asked a more perfect question to the clown.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
The "Georgie Scene" is pure Tim Curry magic. There's a split second after Pennywise responds, "Oh yes. They float, Georgie!" where he lets slip a half second sinister grin before continuing to speak. It's like he can't hide his glee that he's about to feed.

It's at 1:35 in this recording. https://youtu.be/E8ATL5NHyjw?list=FLp3zlU9DUYfsjzCFHCmNGcw

Even as a kid that look, that look that lasted a microsecond, had a real sinister perversion to it. Like Pennywise had some weird stake greater than just evil in this game. Something almost sexual.

Curry is so amazing in everything. Fucking Clue for life, guys.

Even as a kid that look, that look that lasted a microsecond, had a real sinister perversion to it. Like Pennywise had some weird stake greater than just evil in this game. Something almost sexual.

Curry is so amazing in everything. Fucking Clue for life, guys.

Agreed. The pervert overtones are subtle, but there. It looks like they're going for a more overt approach this time. We'll see how it works out. I loved the book as a kid, despite the one disturbing scene, so I'm cool with seeing how they tackle some parts of the novel which were left out of Wallace's version.

Still, call me biased, but nobody can top Curry. What an amazing character actor.

Jarmel

Banned
The design is interesting as the medieval influences reflect Pennywise's age. It lends to the notion that he's an eternal being. They can still do the joke Pennywise scenes with this design but I am worried that they're going the tryhard route.

I really need to see him in action though.

Sorcerer

Curry managed to take an iconic scene from a novel, and translate that into an iconic scene in film.
Whoever has to follow that certainly has there work cut out for them.

Do you think they're going to have a telepathic final battle like in the novel. Or we going to have stupid ass battery acid again.

The telepathic shit was awesome to me

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America

Lol I was thinking that was a weird post as well, didn't want to be first to say something.

I need to re read the book. It was actually my first adult book I ever finished reading. Let's just say it was a mindfuck at 12 to read that massive block of a book.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
First photo of "The Loser's Club" from the new film:

85d8QXX.jpg

Looks better than the Pennywise reveal IMO at least. Still not very optimistic.

yeah im lovin this pic of the losers club. and i still think the actor playing pennywise is going to go all in and hopefully pull off something terrifying that doesn't come off as too cheesy. you know he wants to make a name for himself aside from being that one guy from hemlock grove.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I agree that this is creepier than the "Private Pyle" faced approach we seem to be getting. Bozo too.

Trying to keep an open mind, though...

Same here, I'm thinking it was just for the publicity shot.

I do wish they they would have kept the original director and pennywise, it could have been something special. At least on the visual department.

I didn't realize the kid from Stranger Things is in this.

I do wish they they would have kept the original director and pennywise, it could have been something special. At least on the visual department.

I'm no big fan of Mama, but I also don't think coming up with a creepy shot will be particularly difficult for that director.

Lan Dong Mik

Yeah I really wish they didn't fuck up the original plan. the actor that Fukunaga picked (Will Poulter) for Pennywise would have been damn near perfect. Seriously reminded me of a young Tim Curry for some reason.

Speaking of Fukunaga, anyone know what he's up too? IMDB doesn't show him involved with anything as far as direction goes, at least from what I'm seeing.

Sorcerer

Unless I'm misremembering, she didn't have any of the social issues the other kids had like Billy's stutter or Eddie's asthma.

Beverly was pretty damaged from what I remember, she is not part of the losers club because she is ugly.

Jarmel

Banned
Yes, she did. It's called an abusive deadbeat father.
Well that's not necessarily a social issue for kids unless she was coming to school with black eyes.

Beverly was pretty damaged from what I remember, she is not part of the losers club because she is ugly.

I don't think she was neurotic or anything from the abuse. She was sexually harassed by Henry but I think she was already hanging out with the Loser's Club at that point.

Sorcerer

Well that's not necessarily a social issue for kids unless she was coming to school with black eyes.

I don't think she was neurotic or anything from the abuse. She was sexually harassed by Henry but I think she was already hanging out with the Loser's Club at that point.

I thought she was abused by her dad. I can't quite remember if molestation (witch might tie in with what happens in the sewers) was implied, maybe not, and then abused by her husband later on.

Matty77

They're supposed to be the social outcasts and you have a girl looking like a model in the corner. Yes it looks out of place.

The TV version of Beverly looked much more like an average girl.
Beverly in the book was not average, as a kid she was quite attractive and grew into stunning model beauty. Her issue was a abusive dad bordering on sexual perversion and abuse based on her growing up and because of that her trying to downplay her looks because of the unwanted attention from men especially her father.

Add in some tomboyish qualitys and poverty making sure she was wearing hand me downs that were years out of style.

Again the TV miniseries was a shitty adaption and should not be what this new effort is judged on, it should be allowed to sink or swim on its own.

And crappy Pennywise EW publicity still aside every other piece of info seems a lot more accurate to the book.

Jarmel

Banned
Beverly in the book was not average, as a kid she was quite attractive and grew into stunning model beauty. Her issue was a abusive dad bordering on sexual perversion and abuse based on her growing up and because of that her trying to downplay her looks because of the unwanted attention from men especially her father.

Add in some tomboyish qualitys and poverty making sure she was wearing hand me downs that were years out of style.

Again the TV miniseries was a shitty adaption and should not be what this new effort is judged on, it should be allowed to sink or swim on its own.

And crappy Pennywise EW publicity still aside every other piece of info seems a lot more accurate to the book.
Alright fine, I'll take back the complaint. I didn't remember anything from the books praising her looks until she's an adult so I thought the TV miniseries matched the book description of her as a kid. For reference:

Yeah I really wish they didn't fuck up the original plan. the actor that Fukunaga picked (Will Poulter) for Pennywise would have been damn near perfect. Seriously reminded me of a young Tim Curry for some reason.

Speaking of Fukunaga, anyone know what he's up too? IMDB doesn't show him involved with anything as far as direction goes, at least from what I'm seeing.

He's got a bunch of shit in production. I hope something starts filming soon before he becomes one of those guys who signs up for a bunch of interesting shit that doesn't come to fruition

Netflix miniseries with Jonah hill and Emma stone

Reviving Kubricks napoleon project for HBO

kavanf1

lol...that scene is so fucking ridiculous. It could've just been something like a kiss -- which is weird still. But nope, gangbang all the way.
King was off his face on coke and prescription drugs during that period, it probably made perfect sense to him. The craziest book from that era is The Tommyknockers, knowing he was in a drug addled state helps explain a lot when you're reading that one.

Jarmel

Banned
I thought she was abused by her dad. I can't quite remember if molestation (witch might tie in with what happens in the sewers) was implied, maybe not, and then abused by her husband later on.

I don't think it ever went to the level of molestation on the part of the father although it was implied that he did want to molest her. He worried a lot.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Exactly. Feel free to be suspicious of the Pennywise pic, but personally I read the book like three times growing up and I've loved everything else I've seen.

I mean, you can't beat Curry. Everyone knows that. Same with Ledger as the Joker. You will never win, so you gotta go a different route. I'm not 100% sold on the clown, but the Loser's Club? Silver? The set shots?

I'm fucking sold as hell on all that.

Matty77

Alright fine, I'll take back the complaint. I didn't remember anything from the books praising her looks until she's an adult so I thought the TV miniseries matched the book description of her as a kid. For reference:
Yeah in the book her issues were all about her budding body and attention from men and that is what IT attacks her with more than once including at one point "possessing" her father and trying to rape her.

My bigger issue though and it's not directed at you in particular is that people need to stop comparing it to a pretty crappy adaption that only gets remembered because of Tim Curry's performance. I actually wish the word remake would stop getting used, it's only a remake in the way Carpenter's thing is a remake, as in its the same source material.

I'm not saying it will be good, or defending it in anticipation of it being good, it could end up being a steaming pile of shit, but if it is it will be its own steaming pile of shit completely unrelated to the first adaption.

Lan Dong Mik

He's got a bunch of shit in production. I hope something starts filming soon before he becomes one of those guys who signs up for a bunch of interesting shit that doesn't come to fruition

Netflix miniseries with Jonah hill and Emma stone

Reviving Kubricks napoleon project for HBO

Ah sweet! Damn both of those projects sound good to me. I need some more of this dudes work in my life stat!!!

Jarmel

Banned
Yeah in the book her issues were all about her budding body and attention from men and that is what IT attacks her with more than once including at one point "possessing" her father and trying to rape her.

My bigger issue though and it's not directed at you in particular is that people need to stop comparing it to a pretty crappy adaption that only gets remembered because of Tim Curry's performance. I actually wish the word remake would stop getting used, it's only a remake in the way Carpenter's thing is a remake, as in its the same source material.

I'm not saying it will be good, or defending it in anticipation of it being good, it could end up being a steaming pile of shit, but if it is it will be its own steaming pile of shit completely unrelated to the first adaption.

Well even besides Curry's legendary performance, the miniseries also had four hours (which still isn't enough to do the books justice) to tell the story. Here we'll be luck to get 2 and a half. They're gonna have to truncate a lot of shit and I'm not sure how well that will play out. People were pissed when the TV miniseries came out about how much stuff got cut so I wonder what the reaction for this will be.

Leatherface

These recent shows with "scary" clowns seem to be forgetting what makes clowns scary in the first place. It's that thinly veiled happy facade hiding the monster the scares the shit out of me! :(

Making a clown look evil on the surface kind of takes away the creepiness for me, if that makes sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom