• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New pic of Pennywise from "IT" (2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you're right, other sources have him playing a young Henry Bowers:

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/172771/stephen-kings-first-image-losers-club-nicholas-hamilton-joins-cast/

Also included in the link is a photo of all the Loser's Club actors together.

Ok, good, thanks for the link. Hopefully it was a typo. I hate when movies make changes like that for no real reason. I do see we are also getting a proper Patrick Hottsetter. I wonder if the movie will have him
kill his baby brother
or include "that" scene with him and Henry

Good to see, I also hate that kind of mindless change. That pic is neat. Still can't believe this movie is actually happening.

Turtle or bust though.
Totally not expecting the Turtle :(

Mikey Jr.

They're trying too hard. The genius of the original Pennywise was how plain and ordinary he looked. He could be any clown at any kids birthday party.

hqdefaultn4sx5.jpg

That's why it was scary as fuck.

It feels like many updates and re-makes - Trying to make it modern without any real consideration about why the original was great.

'Pennywise was an amazing evil clown, so we need to make this one LOOK really evil'

ugh. Maybe it will be fine but they don't seem to have grasped the point.

Also, Tim Curry is just the fucking best.

My guess is that he's going to be showing up a lot in set photos soon, so they wanted to get ahead of that potentially controversial "reveal" of potato-cam quality shots and release his look in this way. Also, I feel like this is specifically how he's going to look when he attacks someone -- like at the end of the Georgie scene in the TV adaptation when you see his teeth -- rather than at all times. Because if he does look like this most of the time, they've really overdone it and misunderstood part of Pennywise's tactics.

This.

They most likely wanted him to look scary for this promo shot for the younger people nowadays that don't know the genius that is the book and the original made for tv version. I'm sure he'll have a "normal" clown look as well

Meh. Looks kind of lame. He needs to look scary while striking a happy pose, not this goofy super villain pose.

Still hopeful they pull the movie off, though.

I like the costume, but I don't like it for the character. It doesn't make too much sense. The creature landed in what would become the United States, and that's where it stayed for the duration of its existence.

The costume is very European. I was trying to recall a time where the would-be-States had clowns that wore costumes like that, but I can't think of it. We adopted the later (late-1800s) clown look that was popularized by Tom Belling and similar comedians. The current costume is some sort of cross-dimensional chimera, borrowing the body of a Victorian-era performer and the head of the post-1900's clown.

It's weird. I'm gonna need to see the movie and it's context, because it might make all the sense in the world.

They're trying too hard. The genius of the original Pennywise was how plain and ordinary he looked. He could be any clown at any kids birthday party.

hqdefaultn4sx5.jpg

That scene where Pennywise was under the storm drain gave me fucking nightmares when I was a kid.... and it came from a made for TV movie from 1990 too... The movie itself wasn't particularly scary or anything. But that one scene...

And yes I agree, just making Pennywise look like a regular clown is scary enough in itself.

Also, why do movie studios keep using Entertainment for their publicity stills? Entertainment constantly provides some of the worst looking publicity shots that I have ever seen. Their photoshop artist is laughably bad.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I'm interested. Pennywise isn't actually a clown all that often in the book. That look is just his "Sweat pants and T-shirt", more or less. I wouldn't be surprised if this is his "Scary Pennywise" look and not his normal look.

I follow the director on instagram and literally everything else I've seen from production has been highly encouraging. I'm generally skeptical but I've got a good feeling about this.

Hale-XF11

Hmmm, I don't know what I think yet. Gonna wait until we see more. I hope it doesn't suck. Then again, I want the whole book in the movie, but that's not gonna happen. My version of IT would probably be rated NC-17.

I'm interested. Pennywise isn't actually a clown all that often in the book. That look is just his "Sweat pants and T-shirt", more or less. I wouldn't be surprised if this is his "Scary Pennywise" look and not his normal look.

I follow the director on instagram and literally everything else I've seen from production has been highly encouraging. I'm generally skeptical but I've got a good feeling about this.

I don't have Instagram; is there anything in particular that stood out to you? Would love to learn a little more about this adaptation as it comes together.

Wozzly

special needs, sexual needs
I was turned off with my first glance at the new image but it's growing on me. Penny wise in the book wears a plain silver outfit with orange pompoms (not at all colorful like in the mini series). The costume is a bit dramatic and has way too much going on, but he's been a clown for centuries. In the book he's in his clown form in the 1700s/1800s so it makes sense his costume/form would take influence from by gone years. Maybe that's what I just tell myself lol

DeviantBoi

hqdefaultn4sx5.jpg

Exactly.

Mundane one second.

Scary as hell the next.

Still love the American Horror Story clown... too bad they wasted him in that season.

DeviantBoi

I should really read the book. It's like 1200 pages though, seems so long. How long does it take to get into?
It's been decades since I read it, but I remember not being able to put it down.

The Stand is another monstrosity of a book that was hard to put down.

Read them when I could read all day after school (and sometimes during school), when there was no internet and video games could wait.

zeemumu

I'll reserve judgement until the movie comes out because I think the shot is just set up to make him look as menacing as possible, but I doubt that he has that dark look when he's actually trying to act like a clown. Kinda like if the promotional shot for the old movie was the monster clown face even though it wasn't his default.

And for those of you wanting a flawless book adaptation, think back to everything that happened in that book and ask yourself...is that really what you want to see?

weepy

I would be very surprised if they kept the
child gang bang
in the movie. I think it should be in there in some context though. It's important. There's no need for it to be graphic.

I am bummed that the kids / adults are in separate movies, and that the kid's timeline has shifted from the 50s to the 80s. The time period felt so important to the mood of the book. I also agree that a story this big would be better as a TV series, but one that's on netflix or HBO and doesn't have the limitations the original did.

What...No. God no. There's no way they can make that even remotely tasteful unless they age the gang up 3 or 4 years.

It looks 19th century ish, or European, a more artistic look, very elaborate. I think it takes away from the creepiness of being something crude and local. It looks like an ancient horror (out of a vampire flick) of some sort without the look that it may be related to a loony from around in a disguise or his death.

I should really read the book. It's like 1200 pages though, seems so long. How long does it take to get into?

I read it fairly recently, the opening chapter is very gripping. There was a bit of a lull after that but once it introduced the core cast of characters I was hooked till the end and didn't want it to be over. Probably the best-paced book of that length I've ever read.
It looks 19th century ish, or European, a more artistic look, very elaborate. I think it takes away from the creepiness of being something crude and local. It looks like an ancient horror (out of a vampire flick) of some sort without the look that it may be related to a loony from around in a disguise or his death.

While I'm not a big fan of the design either, "ancient horror" is exactly what the creature called Pennywise actually is ;)

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Pennywise was scary cause he looked almost normal except for the small details that you only noticed after a few moments of looking at him. The crazy yellow teeth.. bloodshot eyes... the makeup looked generic and happy but there were hints at the angry lines and stuff on his face...

This is the definition of try-hard. Looks ... just awful. Like Joker on Gotham level meh.

Syder

First time hearing about 'It' (2017). What? Why? There are still many good King novels that haven't been adapted.

Aselith

Forsooth! Hark unto me, Young Georgie, all manner of creature both field and fowl float down whence yon storm drain.

Looks mediocre at best. It's been said, but "tryhard" and "missing the point" are pretty apt description. Maybe if the design looked more like a traditional clown costume (being more colorful and having the typical "fat" proportions of a clown), it would look okay. This design however just screams obviously evil.

The Sugar Rice Krinkles Clown from the 1960s ad looked more unsettling than this.

14557924667398-original-27258-1375292550-3.jpg

Fox Mulder

Man, they couldn't try any harder to miss the mark. No one is going to trust an obviously evil clown. Lame.

Completely what I expected too. IT sucks anyways and it only held up by Curry's performance.

zeioIIDX

Seems more fitting for a Killer Klowns from Outer Space remake.

Funny, I just watched that last night and was telling my friend how surprised I am that there had never been a remake all these years.

Edit: Sooo I saw this on IMDB - The Return of the Killer Klowns from Outer Space in 3D (2018). Yes!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom