• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Street Fighter IV Famitsu scan revealed Chun Li, E Honda, etc

Darkpen

Banned
oh wow, I totally missed this thread yesterday.

...not much to say, though. Can't wait to try playing the Crimson chick :3

ShinAmano

I would like to see in addition the the current cast:
Makoto
Ibuki
Sagat
Cammy
Alex
Vega (Claws)
Elena
Urien
Akuma

Plus 4 all new characters...and i would accept one new 'guest' style in this set (ie a final fight character like Haggar or female Poison) :D

Speaking as someone who's favorite game of all time is SF2, and who thinks SF2>>> all other street fighter games....

This game needs less SF2....

I hope there's a bunch of new blood or something, because right now things seem kind of bland. I probably wouldnt say this if we werent already getting a new HD version of SF2.. but we are.

-Eddman-

Wasn't this game announced quite recently, and the developers said it was 5-10% ready?

Damn, you guys can surely bitch about nothing like any other forum :lol

What is sad about all the "hardcores" dissapointed, is that the same shitty elitism nearly killed the genre back in the late 90's.

"buh buh buh i won't be able to write my fanfics about 100000 new characters buh buh i can't show the n00bs i can parry 80 hit combos with all time favorites like Necro or Dudley; then i'll bitch about how all 2.5D fighters are über crap, but when there is actually one worth looking, guess what? it sucks cuz it's just teh remake and doesn't look animu." I mean, COME ON wtf?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
-Eddman- said:
Wasn't this game announced quite recently, and the developers said it was 5-10% ready?

Damn, you guys can surely bitch about nothing like any other forum :lol

What is sad about all the "hardcores" dissapointed, is that the same shitty elitism nearly killed the genre back in the late 90's.

"buh buh buh i won't be able to write my fanfics about 100000 new characters buh buh i can't show the n00bs i can parry 80 hit combos with all time favorites like Necro or Dudley; then i'll bitch about how all 2.5D fighters are über crap, but when there is actually one worth looking, guess what? it sucks cuz it's just teh remake and doesn't look animu." I mean, COME ON wtf?

This continues to be said and it continues to full of absolute, creamy shit.

For fuck's sake, SUPER SMASH BROTHERS has a big, dedicated hardcore following that complains about everything. Man, that series is DEAD son!

Vrolokus

Banned
So lemme get this straight: because the characters are the same, it's "more of the same" and a cop-out even though the actual gameplay is different?

Are you all leveling this same criticism against DMC4, MGS4, Halo 3, Super Mario Galaxy, SSBM, and ten thousand other games?

People wanted more of the SF2 lineup in SF3, Capcom heard their complaints, and here they are in SF4. As long as it doesn't play like SF2, WHO CARES IF THEY LOOK THE SAME.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Kintaro said:

For fuck's sake, SUPER SMASH BROTHERS has a big, dedicated hardcore following that complains about everything. Man, that series is DEAD son!
This man has a point. SSB "hardcore" fans can be a sad thing to see.

Kintaro said:

yea its not the hardcores that killed SF it was the fact that Capcom kept milking the series dry.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Kabuki Waq said:
yea its not the hardcores that killed SF it was the fact that Capcom kept milking the series dry.

And that everyone ignored SF III, only later to come around saying it was the best thing ever!

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
HK-47 said:
And that everyone ignored SF III, only later to come around saying it was the best thing ever!

How right they are. However, my feeling is that 3rd Strike is still largely ignored/shunned by the majority of SF (casual?) fans. "Too hard" and "Where the hell is Guile??" the most common reasons in my experience.

Kintaro

Vrolokus said:
So lemme get this straight: because the characters are the same, it's "more of the same" and a cop-out even though the actual gameplay is different?

Are you all leveling this same criticism against DMC4, MGS4, Halo 3, Super Mario Galaxy, SSBM, and ten thousand other games?

People wanted more of the SF2 lineup in SF3, Capcom heard their complaints, and here they are in SF4. As long as it doesn't play like SF2, WHO CARES IF THEY LOOK THE SAME.

DMC4: Actually yes, the criticism is leveled against it in many ways.
MGS4: Uh, what? Are you serious? The way this game plays is already quite different than the previous three. Plus the characters continues to change and evolve.
Halo 3: Yes. The complaint was made here.
Galaxy: What?
SSBM: Give it time.

So, uh, yeah. The complaints are made on these games as well.

It's been 15 years since Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo, 13 years since Alpha, and 7-8 (I forget) years since 3rd Strike. No one expects Ryu, Ken and Chun Li to change much. However, the others? It's the same guys we played with 15 years ago (the game Capcom is using as "inspiration"). It's not too much to ask for a new look for these guys. Especially when Capcom is bringing out SSF2 Turbo again. We don't need two straight games coming out close to each other where the characters look the exact same, even if one is making some modifications to the SSF2 gameplay.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
whooooo the fuck cares how they look. jesus christ, i am going to whoop all of you when this comes out so hard you will wish you never knew what street fighter was to begin with.

Ferrio

Banned
HK-47 said:

I think a lot of other circumstances caused that other than just fans ignoring it. Arcades were dying so not many people were exposed to the actual cabinet. It had to compete against other Capcom games (the vs series, the alpha series). There wasn't a decent console for it until the Dreamcast, and even then you had to import it. Also the port was different than the arcade version so it was shunned. Wouldn't be until anniversary edition that it finally got a widespread release and a decent port.

It just had a lot of things going against it. It's a testament to how good the game is that even after all that bullshit it had to go through it has a very strong following.

Vrolokus

Banned
Kintaro said:
We don't need two straight games coming out close to each other where the characters look the exact same, even if one is making some modifications to the SSF2 gameplay.

They aren't "modifications" to SF2 gameplay, the gameplay mechanics - from what we know about them - are entirely different from SF2 or any other SF.

So again: who cares. Everyone wins: people get the characters they've wanted to see for years, and the gameplay is SF4. People want Zelda games with Link and Ganon, they want Halo games with MC, and they want SF games with the classic lineup.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
haunts said:
whooooo the fuck cares how they look. jesus christ, i am going to whoop all of you when this comes out so hard you will wish you never knew what street fighter was to begin with.

While I admire your shit-talking, you have to admit it's odd to go from 3rd Strike which basically omitted the original cast (since it was a whole new part in the series) to part IV which is all about the original cast (so far at least).

fernoca

Vrolokus said:
So again: who cares. Everyone wins: people get the characters they've wanted to see for years, and the gameplay is SF4. People want Zelda games with Link and Ganon, they want Halo games with MC, and they want SF games with the classic lineup.
Keep missing the point..
People are not asking to remove the classic characters, just to update their costumes..at least a little..
One new ribbon, bandanna..a new tattoo..a new hairstyle...
As you mentioned: Link (from Zelda). He retains his classic green tunic in every game, yet in every game he looks different than the previous (artstyle aside)..that's what a few (including me) are asking....Capcom is not going to lose anything by adding a beard and longer hair to Ryu...

haunts

Bacon of Hope
bob_arctor said:
While I admire your shit-talking, you have to admit it's odd to go from 3rd Strike which basically omitted the original cast (since it was a whole new part in the series) to part IV which is all about the original cast (so far at least).

I dont think its odd. Like I posted earlier, in 3s they had a set of characters that were rediesgned but had similarities to the SF2 cast and everyone bitches. So, logic would say Capcom would just go back to the standard SF2 designs to appease fans. NOW, we have all these children crying about no redesigns. You just cant please these scrubs.

-Eddman-

Omega Blaster Orochi Titanosaurus 3000 as the epic final Boss; a complex storyline that involves ancient mythology, holy wars and a memorable cast of 50 visual kei wannabes AS requirements to be "a step further" is the kind of elitism that i was talking about.

Sure, the rehashing was important in the downfall of 2D fighters (lol Morrigan lol), but:

1.-Nobody has said the game is going to be released tomorrow with 8 characters +1 stage, so people is just overreacting, as usual.

2.-I'm 110% sure we will see A LOT of new faces, but in my opinion Capcom is just releasing classic character stuff, so the people who gave up on the series can recognize stuff and get hyped. Marketing logic, i guess.

Vrolokus

Banned
fernoca said:
Keep missing the point..
People are not asking to remove the classic characters, just to update their costumes..at least a little..
One new ribbon, bandanna..a new tattoo..a new hairstyle...
As you mentioned: Link (from Zelda). He retains his classic green tunic in every game, yet in every game he looks different than the previous (artstyle aside)..that's what a few (including me) are asking....Capcom is not going to lose anything by adding a beard and longer hair to Ryu...

I think you're the one missing the point. The hypothetical thread of people outraged they would give an iconic character like Ryu a beard (or an eyepatch or pipe or scar or whatever) would be five times as long as this one.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
haunts said:
I dont think its odd. Like I posted earlier, in 3s they had a set of characters that were rediesgned but had similarities to the SF2 cast and everyone bitches. So, logic would say Capcom would just go back to the standard SF2 designs to appease fans. NOW, we have all these children crying about no redesigns. You just cant please these scrubs.

:lol I haven't heard that word in a minute. Well, that one chick with the long hair seems to suggest that maybe we'll have both SF2 normalcy and 3rd Strike freakishness. I'm still worried it all may suck to be honest but those new shots of Zangief look dope as hell. So basically: *fingers crossed*

Do you think they'll throw people like me a bone and include some 3S peeps?

Skilletor

Didn't Makoto's father shame the family and lose all their money or something like that?

Personally, I believe we'll see some "pre" sf3 characters that fit into the story like that rather than characters who are too young (Ibuki) timewise to be in this game.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
bob_arctor said:
:lol I haven't heard that word in a minute. Well, that one chick with the long hair seems to suggest that maybe we'll have both SF2 normalcy and 3rd Strike freakishness. I'm still worried it all may suck to be honest but those new shots of Zangief look dope as hell. So basically: *fingers crossed*

Do you think they'll throw people like me a bone and include some 3S peeps?

Yeah dude I mean tbh Crimson Viper looks a little out of place.. As i posted before Ill reserve judgment until I actually play it.. but it will probably be a mix anyway and im sure some of the new characters will grow on me...

IMO, the only 3s character I would expect would be Dudley. I personally do not give a shit if Makoto shows up or not.. I would instead much rather see Yang and Yun in SF4, but I doubt that will happen.

edit: Akuma is going to be so bad ass in this game... Also I guess Urien could possibly make an appearance, but his agies set ups and everything in 3s are what made him and that was unintentional in the first place so might not be the best idea..

fernoca

Vrolokus said:
I think you're the one missing the point. The hypothetical thread of people outraged they would give an iconic character like Ryu a beard (or an eyepatch or pipe or scar or whatever) would be five times as long as this one.
I'm not heck I was the one that started the whole "change the costumes" in this thread (which a few agreed)..only that i twas derailed by others that assumed that "change the costumes" meant" eliminate the characters".. ;)

And come on..the "hypothetical thread"?
The same kind of threads that pops when..I don't know...anything is announced on..every game? :p ..do you think that Namco devs started crying when they saw the gigantic threads here of people making fun of Ivy's boobs in the new Soulcalibur? Or that they redesigned Seung Mina's new look in '4' when people here started complaining that she "looks ugly"??

Kintaro

Vrolokus said:
They aren't "modifications" to SF2 gameplay, the gameplay mechanics - from what we know about them - are entirely different from SF2 or any other SF.

We'll see. With how much they harp on bringing it back to the basics and SF2, etc, etc. I'm still waiting. No one with any real background in fighting games has played it yet so things are still up in the air for me (sorry 1up, you don't count). The saving/revenge (whatever they wish to call it) meter is still up in the air as to how much it'll affect things. EX moves aren't new, but unblockable revenge stuff (as well as cinematic Ultras...) need to be seen more. Ono compared it to boxing, but then again defense is a big part of boxing and doesn't look to be a big part of SF4.

We'll see.

Everyone would have won anyways. People who want the classic lineup have SSF2:T HD Remix coming up. =) New with these guys shown, hopefully they can get anybody else old out of the way so we can look at more new characters. Hopefully they don't look completely out of place compared to the ancient crew (C. Viper looks like something out of Alpha or 3).

haunts said:

I think you're missing a key factor here; Time. Most people who played SF2 to death are now in their late 20s and early 30s. Capcom waited too long to make III in the Arcades (while flooding the places with Alpha, Capcom VS. and others) and people stopped caring when it did show up. Now it's been ANOTHER 9 years since III, fighting fans who stuck around with the genre learned on what they missed out on, dug the characters and loved it. Now all of a sudden SF4 rolls around with the old ass cast from 15 years ago with no intention of keeping anything from the game they rediscovered. It's fucking natural that gamers who have stuck with the series this long (which will be this game's main audience) would be a little wary of it all.

Bottom line; Capcom has shitty timing and just has to work twice as hard to fight off their own game (HD Remix) and competition.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
haunts said:
I personally do not give a shit if Makoto shows up or not.. I would instead much rather see Yang and Yun in SF4, but I doubt that will happen.

!! Weren't you all about Makoto for a second? And damn, I am soooo sick of the twins. They are probably the 2 I would like to see least. I'll miss Hugo of course but 'Gief is there so...

Oh yeah, Alex. Alex is dope. He could fit in, alongside the return of Guile.

No Means Nomad said:
rab5l1.jpg
:lol :lol :lol

bengraven

Wow, I couldn't be less excited. :(

I was happy to see some of the characters would return, but they look the exact same.

PLEASE CAPCOM, give us new designs for them. Evolve them just a bit, even.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Aeris130 said:
I always thought his skin cracked because of all the muscles.

*shakes head* Really??? From his Wikipedia entry:

Zangief agreed and began training in the extreme climates of Siberia. He built his strength by wrestling polar bears, gaining many fearsome scars in the process, concocting his trademark Spinning Piledriver after being picked up by a cyclone while performing a piledriver on a bear.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
"...concocting his trademark Spinning Piledriver after being picked up by a cyclone while performing a piledriver on a bear."

this is perhaps the best explanation for anything ever

-Eddman-

While i do agree on the "minor modifications" a la SF Zero, I'm still afraid we can be exposing our beloved Street Fighter to an abomination in the scale of: :lol

mk_comp.jpg

haunts

Bacon of Hope
bob_arctor said:
!! Weren't you all about Makoto for a second? And damn, I am soooo sick of the twins. They are probably the 2 I would like to see least. I'll miss Hugo of course but 'Gief is there so...

Oh yeah, Alex. Alex is dope. He could fit in, alongside the return of Guile.

Makoto is my main tourney character, but Ive been playing her for 5+ years now so Im kind of sick of her. :lol

I think a redesigned Alex would be cool. I don't like his design in 3s but SF4 would be a good place for him. He would fit into the SF2 cast more than anyone else from 3s besides Hugo... I think Having Hugo and Gief wouldn't be too bad..

BitchTits

bengraven said:
PLEASE CAPCOM, give us new designs for them. Evolve them just a bit, even.
They've said they want to stick with the classic, iconic images of the original SF2 characters, and that's exactly what they've done.

To be honest, I felt underwhelmed by these shots, but there's new characters and backgrounds to come, plus the new gameplay system - I'm expecting the stages just to be like Chun Li's though, that is, based on the classic old stages, I fully expect a military airbase, a giant snake wrapped round a tree, etc, etc. If that is the case, I am looking forward to seeing some 3D elephants and a neon Vegas by night.

fernoca

-Eddman- said:
While i do agree on the "minor modifications" a la SF Zero, I'm still afraid we can be exposing our beloved Street Fighter to an abomination in the scale of: :lol
That doesn't make sense.. :p
Armageddon was some kind of Mortal Kombat Trilogy II..it's whole purpose was to have all characters together..one last time...a compilation as some say....and at least a few got new looks and move-sets along with it.. :p

bengraven

BitchTits said:
They've said they want to stick with the classic, iconic images of the original SF2 characters, and that's exactly what they've done.

To be honest, I felt underwhelmed by these shots, but there's new characters and backgrounds to come, plus the new gameplay system - I'm expecting the stages just to be like Chun Li's though, that is, based on the classic old stages, I fully expect a military airbase, a giant snake wrapped round a tree, etc, etc. If that is the case, I am looking forward to seeing some 3D elephants and a neon Vegas by night.

It's the same reason I don't like the Superman movies. He's so iconic they can't change his design.

But man, it's so old after over half a century.

-Eddman-

fernoca said:
That doesn't make sense.. :p
Armageddon was some kind of Mortal Kombat Trilogy II..it's whole purpose was to have all characters together..one last time...a compilation as some say....and at least a few got new looks and move-sets along with it.. :p

And yeah, MK Trilogy (and Shaolin Monks) was awesome because they preserved the old looks of characters like Raiden or Baraka. This is a perfect case of fucking up your cool and stablished aesthetics just for the sake of being "different" for a sequel.

yurinka

Doesn't matter, people always trolled about every new Capcom fighter since SF2CE. If the new game have changes, the "fans" will troll because they have (even if they only changed a haircut or an eyebrown). If it remain without changes, people will troll in the same way.

By example, the guys who were trolling because there's no parry, what would they say if the Saving Strike are almost the same than the parries? They will stop trolling? No

If the rooster is full of new characters, people trolls (SFIII). If not, also trolls (SFIV). By the way, there are some new (not SF2) characters to be announced. Obviously C.Viper won't be the only new character. There will be mainly new babes.

I just keep laughing when I look at this pic, I don't why, but...:lol
Strider2K99 said:
:lol

Those pics are awesome. Look at Zangief, I think he's even bigger than he was in the EX series. If you can get between those thighs of Chun Li, she could kill you..

They all look great, this game is gonna be awesome. I can't wait. Where the hell is SSF2THDR?

fernoca

-Eddman- said:
And yeah, MK Trilogy (and Shaolin Monks) was awesome because they preserved the old looks of characters like Raiden or Baraka. This is a perfect case of fucking up your cool and stablished aesthetics just for the sake of being "different" for a sequel.
They changed all characters look..heck..they even put Reptile as a lizard in Shaolin Monks, even when the story arc doesn't have him turning into a lizard per se (de-evolving) till Mortal Kombat IV..
Not to mention that Shaolin Monks is not cannon, but actually based on the 10+ years of rumors...and that was the purpose of the game: a big fan service.

Still, they made some changes (some bigger, some minor)..
That's what many are asking or like hoping for Street Fighter..
Not a complete make over...just some minor stuff to make the characters look as not only time passed but their personalities has been affected too.

Top Bottom