• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Street Fighter IV Famitsu scan revealed Chun Li, E Honda, etc

I grew up with Street Fighter and was there from the very beginning (of the sequel, that is), and... i'm not impressed. I'm really not.

I just want to get this in my hands and see how it actually plays, because just judging from screens and the info that's been released so far, i'm totally disappointed.

CamHostage

Mefisutoferesu said:
Hmmmm, while I don't hate the art, I'm not really feeling it. They're channeling a little too much SF2 for my tastes, I would rather they develop a new look, but I guess it's safer to do this...

Yeah, I was really excited when I saw the first screens and then video with Ryu and Ken, but now, this is beginning to feel like Street Fighter 2 3D. Which isn't a bad thing, but that's not what I ever thought Street Fighter 4 would be. It's all of the old characters in their exact same outfits, if anything I would have thought that their prime look would have aged a bit and their clothes would have changed. Classic costumes should have been an unlockable, not a standard. I just really hope Capcom has its heart in this game the way we all want it.

Dali

CamHostage said:
Yeah, I was really excited when I saw the first screens and then video with Ryu and Ken, but now, this is beginning to feel like Street Fighter 2 3D. Which isn't a bad thing, but that's not what I ever thought Street Fighter 4 would be. It's all of the old characters in their exact same outfits, if anything I would have thought that their prime look would have aged a bit and their clothes would have changed. Classic costumes should have been an unlockable, not a standard. I just really hope Capcom has its heart in this game the way we all want it.

I completely agree. Just the inclusion of the old-school fighters is enough homage to SF2. They didn't need to make them exact 3D duplicates right down to the - now boring - original costumes. Although when I think about it, I can't really imagine Blanka, Zangief, or Dhalsim wearing anything drastically different from what they have now. I could have some fun with Ken, Ryu, Chun li, Guile, and possibly E. Honda though.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
EdgeTurn said:
I'd always wondered this as a kid playing SF2. As I recall from an anatomy class, there are exterior and interior layers of fat in the human body, one over the abs and one underneath. With the proper regimen and diet I suppose it's possible to build up just the interior layer of fat to build mass while keeping the exterior layer relatively small, allowing Honda to still look ripped

With strange genetics and lots of surgery, you could do that. No training or diet protocol would do it though.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Dali said:
I completely agree. Just the inclusion of the old-school fighters is enough homage to SF2. They didn't need to make them exact 3D duplicates right down to the - now boring - original costumes. Although when I think about it, I can't really imagine Blanka, Zangief, or Dhalsim wearing anything drastically different from what they have now. I could have some fun with Ken, Ryu, Chun li, Guile, and possibly E. Honda though.

I can definitely imagine Dhalsim wearing something else. Can also imagine Zangief wearing something other than wrestling trunks and boots. I can also imagine Blanka dropping off the face of the Earth. =)

Hell, they can just go back and look at Street Fighter II V and steal Zangief and Dhalsim's outfits. Dhalsim especially.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
haven't played one of these fervently since street fighter 2 and i think this looks sexy as fuck. the heavy comic book style outlines remind me of viewtiful joe, and the cast looks better than ever. looking forward to giving it a try, and hoping it pulls me back into fighting games like burnout paradise has reignited the part of me that loves driving games.

haunts said:
Makoto is my main tourney character, but Ive been playing her for 5+ years now so Im kind of sick of her. :lol

I think a redesigned Alex would be cool. I don't like his design in 3s but SF4 would be a good place for him. He would fit into the SF2 cast more than anyone else from 3s besides Hugo... I think Having Hugo and Gief wouldn't be too bad..

You might be a little sick of her, but she's unique, believable, and basically the non-useless Sakura.

Would totally agree with you with Alex, beyond the fact he was the lead in SF3 a defensive/context grappler would be a nice addition to the cast. Hugo's a tough one, he was my secondary in 3S but I don't see him needed when there's Zangief.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Guys!

Look! I fixed it!

sglvg3.jpg

beelzebozo said:
haven't played one of these fervently since street fighter 2 and i think this looks sexy as fuck. the heavy comic book style outlines remind me of viewtiful joe, and the cast looks better than ever. looking forward to giving it a try, and hoping it pulls me back into fighting games like burnout paradise has reignited the part of me that loves driving games.

To be fair, YOU are the target for this game. The hardcores will buy it no matter what. Don't lie. You're going to get this shit. But, people like you and me, who played the shit out of SFII on the SNES and in the Walmart storefront, they want us back. I didn't play SFIII. But, I will play this. I'm re-energized about the fighting genre for the first time in forever. So, I think it's wonderful.

Dali

Ether_Snake said:
Guys!

Look! I fixed it!

sglvg3.jpg

Uggh... I can't believe I stared at that pic until noticed you changed the hair color. Anything else? Oh shit, six fingers!
made ya look

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Dali said:
Uggh... I can't believe I stared at that pic until noticed you changed the hair color. Anything else? Oh shit, six fingers!
made ya look

No fool, I did more than that. Look at the face.

Proof that people are bitching over anything anyway.

Dali

Ether_Snake said:
No fool, I did more than that. Look at the face.

Proof that people are bitching over anything anyway.
Ah, I see now. You muffed the chin up too.

I never bitched over that one particular picture. It was awesome in its original form. In other threads I was complaining about how stupid Ryu looked when the camera zoomed and rotated when he did Supers. I said if they are going to have dramatic camera effects whose sole purpose is to add to the aesthetic, then they need to make the camera focus on more flattering angles of Ryu or work a little harder on the model, because as it is now it has the opposite effect and detracts from the whole game. Nobody what's to do an Ultra and see goofy Ryu doing the : D smiley face.

turk128

Spirit of Jazz said:
Would totally agree with you with Alex, beyond the fact he was the lead in SF3 a defensive/context grappler would be a nice addition to the cast.
Alex also would help bring SF up to date since his fighting style is mixed martial arts influenced.

Kintaro

I personaly wouldn't mind a new look for Chun Li either, but that's not going to happen. Maybe DLC. She can definitely go for some new looks. I wouldn't mind seeing her hair down.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
you idiots act like you've never seen chun li throw a god damn fire ball before. take it easy, good god.

Ether Snake. Could you also touch up the arm and shoulders. I bet it would look a lot better if the arms weren't so funk looking.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Kintaro said:
I personaly wouldn't mind a new look for Chun Li either, but that's not going to happen. Maybe DLC. She can definitely go for some new looks. I wouldn't mind seeing her hair down.

With this using 3D models, having multiple outfits and/or hair styles and such wouldn't be a problem. I'm surprised Capcom isn't going the 3D fighter route and at least having alternate outfits for every character.

Jirotrom

Lyte Edge said:
With this using 3D models, having multiple outfits and/or hair styles and such wouldn't be a problem. I'm surprised Capcom isn't going the 3D fighter route and at least having alternate outfits for every character.
I think they might change their mind about it to be honest.

Kintaro

Lyte Edge said:

What you say is true and makes sense...which is why I don't have faith. :lol

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Jirotrom said:
I think they might change their mind about it to be honest.

Capcom seems to never do this in their 3D fighters though. :/

I remember some the screens of the never-released Capcom Fighting All-Stars showing some minor differences like Alex in a jacket and being amazed Capcom changed something.

SNK has the original outfits (with color/texture variations) plus the "another model" versions (also with color/texture variations) in their Maximum Impact games. This would be perfect for SF4. Have the classic looks along with redesigned models.

I thought they were saying they wanted a small character roster? If theres this many SF2 people in it already it doesnt leave much room for SF3 (alex!, makoto!) or new characters. This takes place before 3 right? oh man a younger, faster, smaller and weaker Alex would be awesome. Why are grapple characters always so big?

Some people are as dumb as cows if they think there won't be other costumes. It's a lot easier to make new costumes for 3d characters than it is to make new sprites.

Let's say, for arguments sake, it plays great. Just like SFII did. Classic and well-balanced.

And for arguements sake, it looks just the same. Great. Colorful. Good animations. Except now it's in 3D.

Well...then...

WHAT IS THE POINT!!!

What will make me want to play it instead of the remake on XBOX LIVE? I just don't get it. Just because it's 3D? That's not enough. SF has been done in 3D before and no one cared (yes, I know it wasn't the real team). That's what people are complaining about. New ways to dish out supers and 3D graphics (tepid ones, at that) aren't getting me excited about a series I have loved for the past 15 years.

SF Zero was cool because it was a different take on SFII. Same with SF3. It was a different take. Same with the VS. series. Different take. That's what keeps it exciting. Keeps it FRESH.

Not the same game just in 3D.

It's a legitimate concern . I don't want to play "Street Fighter II 3-D." Even the name sounds like a cheap cash grab -- kind of how this game is starting to feel for me.

SF4 takes place only a year or so after SF2, so there's pretty much no reason to change costumes (especially if they didn't change between 1989 and 1993 like with Zangief and Dhalsim). However, alternates would be cool.

Also, for the same reason it would be rather ridiculous to see any of the SF3 teens, as they would be 10-12 here. With the chosen time period, Capcom has pretty much ruled out any of the new cast except the few older characters (Alex, Dudley, Urien, Oro).

Oh, and:

ssf2t007ya3.png

Ferrio

Banned
If they weren't going to continue where SF3 left off they should of just made it a dream match. They're throwing the story out the door anyways, might as well do it in a way everyone can participate.

CPS2

Ryu doesn't look right! That's totally not Ryu! Ken is even worse!!!!!!!!!!!

And everyone else?? They look TOO ACCURATE!!!

Change it the other way around CAPCOM!!!!

near

Gold Member
ShinAmano said:
Is it true that they will be showing off new characters tomorrow (friday)?

Possibly, but I think if they do it'll just be the characters that were shown in this thread. Hopefully we'll see a new character though.

Kintaro

SiegfriedFM said:
SF4 takes place only a year or so after SF2, so there's pretty much no reason to change costumes (especially if they didn't change between 1989 and 1993 like with Zangief and Dhalsim). However, alternates would be cool.

Also, for the same reason it would be rather ridiculous to see any of the SF3 teens, as they would be 10-12 here. With the chosen time period, Capcom has pretty much ruled out any of the new cast except the few older characters (Alex, Dudley, Urien, Oro).

All of this logic is pointless against the fact that there's no reason to have SF4 take place behind SF3. =P Or that's been 15 years since SSF2. New looks and new shit is long overdue.

See, here's the problem to me. Capcom missed a chance to take some of the better SF3 characters back into the spotlight as well as bring the "classic" characters back as well. Therefore you have a cast of known characters all across the board. From those who didn't play SF3 to those who did support SF3. Now they're have to rely on the oldies for the hook and hope whatever new characters they throw in there catch on.

It could have been SF2 + SF3 + New = Make everybody over the years happy.
Now it's SF2 + ??? = Hope this works!

Top Bottom