• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Street Fighter IV Famitsu scan revealed Chun Li, E Honda, etc

Tellaerin

D.Lo said:
So Street Fighter 1, Street Fighter III, Street Fighter Alpha 1, 2, and the arcade version of Alpha 3 are 'just not Street Fighter'?

And how are they the 'original 8' when only two of them were in the original?

Let's face it, SF 1 wasn't what catapulted the series to popularity. When people think SF, they tend to think of SF II and its direct sequels. If you ask most people about the 'original Street Fighter roster', they're immediately going to think of Ryu, Ken, Guile, E. Honda, and the rest of the crew, not the SF 1 scrubs. How many people do you think remember Geki, Joe, or Lee?

There are a fair number of people (myself among them) who felt that SF III really didn't feel like enough of a proper sequel because they scrapped too much of the SF II cast, killing any real sense of connection between III and II/Alpha. Alpha 1's roster was weak, but Alpha 2 brought over enough of the SF II characters to create a strong feeling of continuity with the earlier games, even if they weren't the 'original 8' - you had Ryu, Ken, Sagat, Dhalsim, Zangief, Chun-Li, and M. Bison to choose from in addition to the new cast members. SFA3 expanded on that even further.

I think you knew what I meant, so what's with the nitpicking? Would you rather I said, 'It's just not Street Fighter without at least six of the original eight SF II characters, plus a some others from the sequels'? My point was that those characters have become iconic, both as representatives of the SF series and to gamers in general. Any game calling itself 'Street Fighter' really ought to include them, in addition to whatever new faces they want to introduce.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
McDragon said:
2w5ua2x.jpg

damn.
Boner get

jarrod

Banned
Well, now that things are 3D, I wouldn't be surprised if there were multiple outfits for each character actually. Or at least there will be as DLC. :lol

I also wouldn't be surprised if this was the final starting roster (plus 4 bosses naturally)... and again we'll likely get more fighters via DLC (ie: "New Challengers pack", "Final Fighters pack", "New Generation pack", etc).

near

Gold Member
jarrod said:
Well, now that things are 3D, I wouldn't be surprised if there were multiple outfits for each character actually. Or at least there will be as DLC. :lol

I also wouldn't be surprised if this was the final starting roster (plus 4 bosses naturally)... and again we'll likely get more fighters via DLC (ie: "New Challengers pack", "Final Fighters pack", "New Generation pack", etc).

I love the idea of being able to download extra outfits, that'd be great. I can imagine packs with more fighters in the future as well! :D

ShinAmano

Another side note...there better be a background for each and every character and then some extra backgrounds thrown in for rival matches...

ShinAmano

I got this info from the Shoryuken forums:

vasili 10 did some translations of tidbits of the bios

1 Blanka is fighting to make mama proud of him

2 Honda and Zangief are back for their old reasons

3 Chun Li and Guile are now investigating numerous incidents as a team

4 Dhalsim's back for the sake of his whole village

5 Chun Li joined the ICPO at age 18 , one year before SF1

jarrod

Banned
Airkiru said:
I love the idea of being able to download extra outfits, that'd be great. I can imagine packs with more fighters in the future as well! :D
Yeah, it basically replaces the "Turbo" revsions of yesteryear. Much better model imo, and almost perfectly suited to how Capcom operates traditionally with fighters.

RyanDG

besiktas1 said:
I forsee all SF3 characters making a return too...

I wish I could agree (since I'm an oddball who liked a lot of the non-SF2 SF3 cast), but there are a few I can't see returning at all. Remy for one. I really can't see him coming back since Guile's making a return.

dankir

I wonder why they are only showing moves that these fighters have had in previous games? Like Guile's standing fierce kick, Blanka's jumping fierce kick and so on. I hope for two things, plenty of new moves and new costumes. Of course I'm sure there is plenty of both I just don't want to wait :(

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
How can anybody complain that this is a "3d remake" of SF 2? Have you not READ how the gameplay systems work? Where the revenge gauge or the saving system in SF 2? Or look at the videos again, with the cancels and all the other stuff going on it looks like it plays a lot more like Alpha, even.

I mean come on, KOF has looked the same and pretty much played the same for the last 54 years and nobody complains about that. Here the only complain I have is that some minor redesigns would have been cool, but thats about it, just bringing Street Fighter to competent 3d was enough of a feat.

Xav

I'm still not sold on this game yet, I'm NOT giving this game a free pass just because it's called Street Fighter IV. This game has to win me over and it's not doing it thanks to some of the worst art direction I've seen Rare showed us the new Banjo design.
2008 will be all about Super Smash Bros Brawl & Soul Calibur IV for me personally. Capcom your really going to have to step it up if you want to compete with those two. In fact I'm looking forward to HD Remix WAY more than Street Fighter IV even though it's a remake of a game I've played a billion times before.

jarrod

Banned
RyanDG said:
I wish I could agree (since I'm an oddball who liked a lot of the non-SF2 SF3 cast), but there are a few I can't see returning at all. Remy for one. I really can't see him coming back since Guile's making a return.
As long as I get Ibuki, I'm happy! :lol

What's with Japanese mags and super-tiny screens?! Why do you tease us so!?? :lol

They all look awesome! The Hulk-ish look works awesome for Blanka, E Honda, and especially Zangeif. I think Ryu and Ken look alot better with the other characters for a contrast. I never thought they looked bad, but their new musculature was definitely a big difference from their old 2D sprites. And yes... thiiiiiighs. :D

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Tr4nce said:
So what do guys think of the HUD?

I think it looks awesome.

scanFamitsu_SFIV.gif

I'm wondering what the green radar like thingy is to the side of the character names.
I'm going to agree with you on the HUD. If it ain't broke, why fix it?

ShinAmano

~Devil Trigger~ said:
i never understood how he got abs...like..how?
Have any of you ever seen the competitive eater Kobiashi? He is rail thin, but can eat 80 hot dogs...he usually pulls up his shirt to show how huge his stomach is...and he has a 6 pack on top of the fat belly...Honda looks to have the same :lol

EdgeTurn

~Devil Trigger~ said:
i never understood how he got abs...like..how?

I'd always wondered this as a kid playing SF2. As I recall from an anatomy class, there are exterior and interior layers of fat in the human body, one over the abs and one underneath. With the proper regimen and diet I suppose it's possible to build up just the interior layer of fat to build mass while keeping the exterior layer relatively small, allowing Honda to still look ripped

CPS2

Raging Spaniard said:
How can anybody complain that this is a "3d remake" of SF 2? Have you not READ how the gameplay systems work? Where the revenge gauge or the saving system in SF 2? Or look at the videos again, with the cancels and all the other stuff going on it looks like it plays a lot more like Alpha, even.

I reckon it'll play more like a mix between 3S and GG.

But yeah, I'm starting to think that the people who see this as a SF2 game or even a SFEX game, don't have a clue what they're doing. They probably spam low roundhouse and fireball all day.

The more I see, the more I like. I like the look, the style, and I'm a fan of the HUD.

As has been mentioned in this thread, the biggest challenge this game now faces is not coming off as a 'remake' of Street Fighter 2.

The character roster is already at 9, and we've yet to see Akuma, Sagat, Vega, or Balrog. Bison is dead, so we shouldn't see him at all. That would push the roster to 13.

I think the character roster, in the initial release, should be capped at 16. Add more later through DLC. A rough roster outline below would allow the biggies from SF2 and 4 new characters.

1. Ryu
2. Ken
3. Chun Li
4. Dhalsim
5. Blanka
6. Zangief
7. E. Honda
8. Guile
9. Akuma (?)
10. Sagat (?)
11. Vega (?)
12. Cammy (?)
13. C. Viper
14. ?
15. ?
16. ?

ShinAmano

brendanrfoley said:
I think the character roster, in the initial release, should be capped at 16. Add more later through DLC. A rough roster outline below would allow the biggies from SF2 and 4 new characters.
I think there will need to be more...20 minimum 24max...

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
These characters look dead-on - admittedly even moreso than Ken and my main man Ryu - especially with the faces...

When I saw Guile return like I'd hoped, a smile grew on my face - this game can do no wrong now...

And what the hell with people wanting new costumes and things like Ryu with a beard - huh? If the SF universe was ahead by like ten years or so, sure, but Capcom even said that this was before SFIII (yes, it's the only real complain I have about SFIV) so why expect costume changes?

Blanka looks awesome as well, and so does Gief - they all look so dead-on that it makes me wonder why Ryu looks so off in his art while the others looks so good...

And CHUN LIIIIIII! The thighs are faithful!

As soon as the first videos of the new characters come out, you guys will change your tunes - like you all predictably do every time...

Ferrio

Banned
Skilotonn said:
As soon as the first videos of the new characters come out, you guys will change your tunes - like you all predictably do every time...

Ya because seeing Guile do a flash kick in 3d is what I waited 15 years for. :(

near

Gold Member
BlueSummers said:
This game is coming along great so far. Too bad we wont see it until early-mid 09. :lol

Have they announced a date? From what i've read its summer 2008 but I don't think Capcom have confirmed it themselves.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Raging Spaniard said:

I mean come on, KOF has looked the same and pretty much played the same for the last 54 years and nobody complains about that. Here the only complain I have is that some minor redesigns would have been cool, but thats about it, just bringing Street Fighter to competent 3d was enough of a feat.

See, you make a decent point then you fuck it all up by spitting out some bullshit. You bitch people out for not knowing how SF4 plays (when nobody knows) yet you show ignorance when it comes to KOF. Stick to shit you know.

kurahadol

Kintaro said:
See, you make a decent point then you fuck it all up by spitting out some bullshit. You bitch people out for not knowing how SF4 plays (when nobody knows) yet you show ignorance when it comes to KOF. Stick to shit you know.

You sir, are a god among men.

Top Bottom