• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Street Fighter IV Famitsu scan revealed Chun Li, E Honda, etc

Mr Jared

I like what they've done with rendering the new characters, yet I still have zero faith in this game. At least my Zangief is in there for when I actually do play it.

Ryu and Ken still look awful though.

Woot, Guile and Chun-li's art is awesome. Now we need some Alpha characters please.
Specifically Charlie and Rose, I don't care if they're "dead".

MCD

2w5ua2x.jpg

damn.

Kuran

Banned
This is almost starting to look like a remake of Street Fighter 2. Kinda disappointed that they're not going with a fresher direction.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
DigitalA1chemy said:
I'm tired of SF2 :( There had better be a good amount of new characters. And least 1 Final Fight character...Haggar pleeaase.

Seriously. I'm so far very sad about the amount of SF2 characters in this. I was hoping for a largely new roster.

IzumiK

Banned
thetrin said:
Seriously. I'm so far very sad about the amount of SF2 characters in this. I was hoping for a largely new roster.

But you know, it's Capcom. Either it's rehash old characters or rehash characters old moveset.

I mean, take a look at KoF. Even throughout the years, all the characters have gone through major changes in their move list.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
IzumiK said:
But you know, it's Capcom. Either it's rehash old characters or rehash characters old moveset.

I mean, take a look at KoF. Even throughout the years, all the characters have gone through major changes in their move list.

And I love KoF. The difference is that they didn't completely scrap the roster for totally new characters (with old but modified movesets) and then bring back the old characters because they were afraid of bad sales.

This just screams catering to those who don't give a shit about fighters anymore. The only people who are ecstatic about the return of a bunch of SF2 characters are people who probably haven't played since Super Turbo, or Alpha 2.

zoukka

I get the feeling from IV that it tries to appeal to a more casual group of gamers. Of course hardcore fans will be all over it too, but the director said in the interview, that he didn't like where fighters are going nowadays with almost one hit ko kombos and such. He also stated he wanted SFIV to be as easily approachable as possible, but very deep when mastered. (doh)

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
zoukka said:
I get the feeling from IV that it tries to appeal to a more casual group of gamers. Of course hardcore fans will be all over it too, but the director said in the interview, that he didn't like where fighters are going nowadays with almost one hit ko kombos and such. He also stated he wanted SFIV to be as easily approachable as possible, but very deep when mastered. (doh)
Top tier fighting games in general cater to the hardcore these days. All the casual fighters are B-list (DoA, MK, DBZ, etc.)

SLYspyda

Banned
Looks amazing. I have total faith in this game. Don't complain too much about it being the same. Capcom is trying to revive the franchise for the 21st century. Let them revive it first, then look for a lot more changes in the sequel to this game.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Looks good, wtf?!

Tellaerin

thetrin said:
This just screams catering to those who don't give a shit about fighters anymore. The only people who are ecstatic about the return of a bunch of SF2 characters are people who probably haven't played since Super Turbo, or Alpha 2.

I give a shit about fighters, and I'm ecstatic about the oldschool cast returning for this. It's just not Street Fighter without the 'Original 8', which is one of the things I disliked about SF3. If you're going to go with an all-new cast and 'Street Fighter-ish' gameplay, you might as well just call it something else altogether (like Rival Schools, Darkstalkers, etc.) rather than trying to ride on the coattails of the SF series.

Tellaerin

Ferrio said:
Depressing seeing all the SF2 cast returning..

As long as there's a decent-sized roster of other characters in addition to the returning ones (and I suspect there will be), why is it 'depressing'?

Ferrio

Banned
Tellaerin said:
As long as there's a decent-sized roster of other characters in addition to the returning ones (and I suspect there will be), why is it 'depressing'?

Because when I think IV, I shouldn't be seeing exact same shit from 15+ years ago.

I swear, Capcom is forever been pinned with rehashing. Yet as soon as they attach IV on it, it's all forgiven? I know I know the game won't be the same (here's hoping), but so far none of this has instilled confidence in me.

zoukka

SatelliteOfLove said:
It's a 2D in 3D game; they can splash on as many alternative costumes as time and taste will allow, and I hope they do
and Hugo!

There's physics in the clothes too and they really nailed muscle-structure imo. That combined with sprite-style animations is win.

I really hope they add details like scarred clothes or minor bruises (not gonna happen) as developement progresses.

thetrin

Ferrio said:
Because when I think IV, I shouldn't be seeing exact same shit from 15+ years ago.

I swear, Capcom is forever been pinned with rehashing. Yet as soon as they attach IV on it, it's all forgiven? I know I know the game won't be the same (here's hoping), but so far none of this has instilled confidence in me.

I'm with Ferrio. One of the most awesome parts of SF3 was the entirely new roster apart from Ryu and Ken (and later Chun Li in Third Strike).

Granted, their moves were familiar with old characters, but the aesthetic was something new, and I really appreciated it.

Now, if they had given all the comeback characters complete makeovers and aged them, that would have been awesome. Guile with scruff, a new haircut and a bomber jacket Mark of the Wolves style would have been truly awesome.

thetrin said:

I'm a huge 2d fighter fan and Street Fighter III is one of my favourite fighting games ever, but still I am extremely excited to see the return of Dhalsim, Zangief, Blanka and Honda - some of the new characters in SFIII were awesome (Remy, Oro, Ibuki, Makato, Alex etc) but there were many more I could've done without. If SF4 has mostly classic characters with a handfull of new ones, then i'll be quite pleased - i'd prefer Capcom to concentrate on making a small number of new characters play great rather than making more throwaway characters with amalgamated movesets.

Hero

What's the point in releasing that Street Fighter II HD on PSN/XBLA if Street Fighter IV is coming out?

Wait, that's not right. What's the point of releasing Street Fighter IV if Street Fighter II HD is coming out?

But seriously, I wanted Street Fighter IV for a long time, and while I want to play it, these scans still don't instill any excitement or anything for me personally. It's like they're just remaking Street Fighter II with this new art style. New characters? The first one seemed a bit SNKish so I want to see how the others turn out, but there better be a lot. What's the point of it if you're gonna reuse the entire old cast?

thetrin

Bootaaay said:
I'm a huge 2d fighter fan and Street Fighter III is one of my favourite fighting games ever, but still I am extremely excited to see the return of Dhalsim, Zangief, Blanka and Honda - some of the new characters in SFIII were awesome (Remy, Oro, Ibuki, Makato, Alex etc) but there were many more I could've done without. If SF4 has mostly classic characters with a handfull of new ones, then i'll be quite pleased - i'd prefer Capcom to concentrate on making a small number of new characters play great rather than making more throwaway characters with amalgamated movesets.

I agree, but why completely throw away SF3's lineup? If it is Street Fighter FOUR, why not have a lineup of characters that are a combination of 1, 2, 3, and new challengers? Take Eagle and Sodom from 1/Alpha, Alex, Sean and Q from 3, and then add a few new characters?

Without characters from other games, this is hardly SFIV. This is Ultra Street Fighter 2.

EDIT: Putting Rolento in wouldn't hurt either :D

turk128

thetrin said:
Now, if they had given all the comeback characters complete makeovers and aged them, that would have been awesome. Guile with scruff, a new haircut and a bomber jacket Mark of the Wolves style would have been truly awesome.
Arggghh, this would have been so damn awesome especially given they basically transplanted Guile's attitude into Terry for Garou.

Now I can't get it out of my head, the awesome possibilities of an updated (not redesigned) roster would have brought to SF....

KingJ2002

thetrin said:
I'm with Ferrio. One of the most awesome parts of SF3 was the entirely new roster apart from Ryu and Ken (and later Chun Li in Third Strike).

Granted, their moves were familiar with old characters, but the aesthetic was something new, and I really appreciated it.

Capcom themselves said that this game is meant to bring back SF2 players to the series... so having the original roster of characters is a good thing. It gives people an easy entry back into street fighter... my main concern now is how many new fighters are going to be here... if there's only like... 2... capcom failed... im expecting 4... 6 with boss characters... and if there's going to be any alpha characters... im expecting some re-designs since they are alot older... and alt costumes for everyone.

Ferrio

Banned
KingJ2002 said:
Capcom themselves said that this game is meant to bring back SF2 players to the series... so having the original roster of characters is a good thing. It gives people an easy entry back into street fighter... my main concern now is how many new fighters are going to be here... if there's only like... 2... capcom failed... im expecting 4... 6 with boss characters... and if there's going to be any alpha characters... im expecting some re-designs since they are alot older... and alt costumes for everyone.

Question is, what do they do after that?

If it sells well does that mean we'll never seen a street fighter that goes beyond the 2 formula?

If it doesn't sell will we ever see a street fighter again at all?

Also how long do you think you can string along these casuals? Maybe this game... how many iterations afterwards?

GrayFoxPL

Wow! One bitching ends another starts. So it's too much like SF2?! Well, whoopeedoo!

Jesus Gaf.

Scans look great, didn't think they show so many characters. The design is spot-fucking-on!

Go Go Mr. O!

...and don't listen to those whiners. You change the costumes and they have another reason to bitch.

Anyone else noticed:

Crumple Stun on Ken in the first scan!

Stuns in SF?

Tekken Fighter 4 :D

zoukka

WinFonda said:
Who's hating? The designs are lackluster on those characters, especially when compared to the newer additions.

sfryulv2.jpg

I think they're pretty well nailed. The style respects both anime/western looks from the past. I just don't get the bitching.

And isn't 3rd Strike pretty unknown for the majority of people/gamers? Street Fighter II was a worldwide phenomenom and it's natural to bring the original roster up. It is crucial if they hope to have any chance of raising the popularity of SF to the level of Tekken etc in the eyes of the masses.

Ryu1999

zoukka said:
sfryulv2.jpg

I think they're pretty well nailed. The style respects both anime/western looks from the past. I just don't get the bitching.

And isn't 3rd Strike pretty unknown for the majority of people/gamers? Street Fighter II was a worldwide phenomenom and it's natural to bring the original roster up. It is crucial if they hope to have any chance of raising the popularity of SF to the level of Tekken etc in the eyes of the masses.

The Super/ST portraits were pretty much perfection. Still not a fan of Akiman's 3s artwork even though its very well done

turk128

zoukka said:
http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/5883/sfryulv2.jpg[IMG]

I think they're pretty well nailed. The style respects both anime/western looks from the past. I just don't get the bitching.[/QUOTE]
I don't know why people keep on posting that pic; there's nothing in common between all of those styles except the fact that the guy has a red bandana and scruffy hair.

zoukka

turk128 said:
I don't know why people keep on posting that pic; there's nothing in common between all of those styles except the fact that the guy has a red bandana and scruffy hair.

Well just wondering why people criticise the new look when the oldies weren't a tad better. I really think the new Ryu looks personal and the fact that the characters have lots of expressions is just great. Im hoping for panting animations!

Top Bottom