• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Tyler the Creator album announced - Scum Fuck Flower Boy

Having listened to this a couple of times today I can honestly say this is nothing but trash. Production is good in places. You can hear the neptunes influnses. Dude can't rap and his content is wack. Call it a day. Cherry bomb was awful. He's got bastard and wolf that are decent, the rest of his catalog is awful. Time to join souja boy on the pile of insignificant hip hop trends

megalowho

Disagree, this is a dope record. The tracking flows, production is cohesive, it's languid and warm and Tyler's introspective and reflective bars are worth rapping about as much as anything else. Been cool to see him evolve as an artist and writer, will have to dig into this one more but it's pretty much the project I was hoping he'd put out someday.

Disagree, this is a dope record. The tracking flows, production is cohesive, it's languid and warm and Tyler's introspective and reflective bars are worth rapping about as much as anything else. Been cool to see him evolve as an artist and writer, will have to dig into this one more but it's pretty much the project I was hoping he'd put out someday.

He is a cheap neptunes imatation at best. He doesn't take himself seriously, how am I supposed to take his music seriously. We've been blessed in the last few months, Kendrick, vince, joey and jay z, that makes this record feel even worse. I've made excuses for Tyler in the past and I think he can be a dope producer, when he wants to be but now I'm bored and he's not progressed beyond shitty bars and cheap sounding production. I think the word I'm looking for is tacky.

>Comparing Tyler to Hopsin
200_s.gif

conpfreak

He is a cheap neptunes imatation at best. He doesn't take himself seriously, how am I supposed to take his music seriously. We've been blessed in the last few months, Kendrick, vince, joey and jay z, that makes this record feel even worse. I've made excuses for Tyler in the past and I think he can be a dope producer, when he wants to be but now I'm bored and he's not progressed beyond shitty bars and cheap sounding production. I think the word I'm looking for is tacky.

He's definitely as good as N.E.R.D/Neptunes prime, but he definitely has surpassed stuff like N.E.R.D - Nothing and later Neptunes/Pharrell stuff. 911/Mr. Lonely is legit for that kind of sound.

I thought the lyricism was incredible, this album is a lot better than 4:44 (but I don't believe that albums good anyways), portions of DAMN, and definetly Joey and Vince's projects.

Want to listen to it a few more times be for I start writing on it though.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I say this blows Big Fish Theory out the water but that's not a high bar. Damn, 4:44, or All-AmeriKKKan Bada$$ though? Nah. Definitely Tyler's best work though.

megalowho

I mean, this is the sound of him taking himself more seriously. The Neptunes influence has always been there but there's been a clear progression in technique and scope. I get not feeling where his head is at but seems like folks either expect way too much or are just ready to bury him after Cherry Bomb for some reason. I appreciate what he adds to the game and he finally made an album I don't need to skip around on, it just clicks.

He's definitely as good as N.E.R.D/Neptunes prime, but he definitely has surpassed stuff like N.E.R.D - Nothing and later Neptunes/Pharrell stuff. 911/Mr. Lonely is legit for that kind of sound.
I think you forgot to add the word "not" somewhere in the bolded. Because In Search Of..., Fly or Die, Seeing Sounds, In My Mind, The Neptune's Present...Clones, etc are all certified classics. Tyler ain't never touched those levels...

And yall killin me with the bashing on Vince for Big Fish Theory. Literally is like Yeezus 2.

Koozek

The production is so smooth. This is the Neptunes/N.E.R.D.-infused Tyler that I like the most, but at full-album-length.

Album is Tyler best album by far. His sound is more developed (mixing is decent finally) and he does a good job with the introspective turn in the lyrics

Damn, why all the hate for BFT?

It's a weak follow up with like 1/3 of the ideas of his debut that exposes Vince's shortcomings without adding much except a bit of house heavy production. Yeah Right is great thought if only for uniting SOPHIE and Kendrick.

This will be interesting, I'm looking forward to hearing this.

Also, wow what's with the Hopsin hate? I've seen some ignorant responses regarding him and the subject matter of his music.

EDIT: Oh damn, I just realized this album is out today. I'm gonna go and listen to it now!

Ivan 3414

Damn, why all the hate for BFT?

I think it's ok at best. Vince has said in interviews that he hasn't or doesn't really go to clubs, which makes sense to me listening to the album. For all the dancy club beats, this album does not make you want to dance. Vince's damn near monotone delivery is a key reason for that. Like his last album, Vince holds his own shit back.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I think you forgot to add the word "not" somewhere in the bolded. Because In Search Of..., Fly or Die, Seeing Sounds, In My Mind, The Neptune's Present...Clones, etc are all certified classics. Tyler ain't never touched those levels...

And yall killin me with the bashing on Vince for Big Fish Theory. Literally is like Yeezus 2.

More like Great Value Yeezus.

I thought the lyricism was incredible, this album is a lot better than 4:44 (but I don't believe that albums good anyways), portions of DAMN, and definetly Joey and Vince's projects.

Want to listen to it a few more times be for I start writing on it though.

I don't think I can take this post seriously. 4:44 is the best I've ever heard jay z.

hydruxo

I'm glad that Tyler's music has evolved into what it has. I enjoyed his early stuff like Bastard and Goblin but he's clearly outgrown all that and so has everyone else. About halfway through Flower Boy and really liking it.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
This will be interesting, I'm looking forward to hearing this.

Also, wow what's with the Hopsin hate? I've seen some ignorant responses regarding him and the subject matter of his music.

People hate on him since he's way far up his own ass and he fancies himself an intellectual while saying nothing new or of value. He's kinda like this subreddit but in rap form.
https://www.reddit.com/r/iamverysmart/

breakfuss

No lies. Thank you, sir.

Some of y'all in here have lost your damn minds.

album is pretty good and the production is really smooth. feels like a combo of wolf and all the good shit from cherry bomb.

BFT was pretty good. love that vince went in a direction some niggas hated completely lol

The Ummah

Banned
I had Pothole on loop for an hour at work. I also just figured out it was Jaden Smith on the hook.

I'm digging this album as a whole, but I can agree that it was an abrupt end to the whole thing. I was expecting something else, or even just a "BITCH" at the end lol

conpfreak

Sorry guys, I meant not as good.

Anung

Un Rama
Gave it a few listens today and enjoyed it immensely. A really textured and mature effort for Tyler with some damn good bangers. Some of the melodies gave me that summery hazy Nujabes vibe which is high praise indeed.

Seeing such an evolution from Tyler is kind of surreal like compare this to bastard

See you again is a beautiful song btw holy shit how good is this song wtf

Sou Da

Just listened to this. Surprised at how much I like this, one question: Why the fuck is Lil Wayne here? Like why?

Sou Da

It was the Jayden Smith feature on Potholes that took me out the album.
At least that felt consistent with tone of the album, Wayne up here with his stale ass baby formula 2007 raps sounding like Tyler was contractually obligated to feature him.

robotrock

Banned
Enjoying this album so much more than I expected to. Unlike any of his other stuff it's actually a really consistent listen.

Was thinking about buying the $30 package but the shirt has a cuss word on it so realistically when would I wear something like that?

Top Bottom